Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2013   #101
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: Schaub couldn’t audible out of “very, very poor play”

LOL @ not being able to audible once they send a player in motion. That is dumb and weird.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #102
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
Yea, I wish. The jig is up on Kubiak.

Predictable, routined. Kubiak was simply out-coached on that play.

The guys on 790's thoughts on that play at 45:53
I agree with you 100%.
By the Grace of the Football Gods does Kubiak pull off a win. How many years have we said his play calling, his decisions are overly predictable?
We've called it overly conservative many times, but I like what the guy's on 790 call it "tendencies".
No creativity or thinking outside of the box gives you a Kubiak coach.
The talent's always been there.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #103
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
I read this, and while I agree with what you are trying to say, I would counter with what your polar opposites in I and others think:

IF Schaub does recover, what does he recover to? I've seen enough in 7 years to know his ceiling is a borderline GREAT backup caliber QB or a mediocre starter, who has shown the ability to effectively manage a game for good stretches, but by no means has been the engine that makes the offense run. I've seen enough in the past 10 games he's started to have a reasonable expectation that his ceiling has already been realized and is in the rear view mirror.

You can put insert name here into the QB position and still see relative success from mediocrity given the complimenting players at RB, WR, TE and a decent OL. I give you Sage Rosenfels. no better, no worse than Schaub was. Just didn't have as long at the helm. I give you TJ Yates. again, we are in that fuzzy line of great backup/so so starter.

IMHO, you better load up on toilet paper, because I don't believe he's as good as he was, nor will be as good as you think he is.

gary: Get rid of the GIMP!

Agreed.

Only difference is that Schaub has had more opportunities and more grooming. Honestly I felt we should've let sage be a stop gap and drafted a qb in the first round when we got a chance to.

Both were upgrades over Carr and if someone wants to argue Matt was better than Sage...ok, but I don't feel he was so much better that he has been worth the 2 2nds plus the contracts. Sage, a cheaper contract, keeping those 2 2nds and maybe having traded for a good young QB by now sounds a lot better in hindsight.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #104
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Doesn't excuse Schaub...he had a few options at his disposal within that play to not screw up....but it's like i've been telling everyone...this guy is as much the problem as Schaub is....removing 1 does not get us out of the woods of this mess we have right now.
I'm definitely not excusing him. I even saw the DB was going to come on the blitz. I yelled (scared the crap out of my dog) once I noticed the fake hand off and Schaub turn to begin the boot. I still put a majority of the blame on Schaub even though Kubiak's a dictator when it comes to his scheme. Call a TO, run it (lol) or spike it.

Just piggy-backing on your post, tex
Old 10-01-2013   #105
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Agreed.

Only difference is that Schaub has had more opportunities and more grooming. Honestly I felt we should've let sage be a stop gap and drafted a qb in the first round when we got a chance to.

Both were upgrades over Carr and if someone wants to argue Matt was better than Sage...ok, but I don't feel he was so much better that he has been worth the 2 2nds plus the contracts. Sage, a cheaper contract, keeping those 2 2nds and maybe having traded for a good young QB by now sounds a lot better in hindsight.
I'm 100% with you on this one. I had no idea who Matt Schaub was except for a few blurbs regarding a game or two where he did "alright." I understand Vick was the golden child at the time, but they didn't spend 2 seconds on Matt. They found him in the third. If they can find a guy like that in the third, why couldn't we?

& while Sage had his flaws...... Kubiak was still in his grace period which lasted through 2010, why make a bold move like that? Granted, if Schaub would have came in & blew the doors off the NFL, fine. We could say that Kubiak saw greatness & made a shrewd move.

But now, we're talking about all his limitations. We've been talking about his limitations since 2008.

Had we rolled with Sage we could have drafted
Quin (22) Kolb (36), Beck (40), Stanton (43)
Flacco (18) Brohm (56) Flynn (209)
Freeman (17) McGee (101)

.... the argument sounded much better in my head.
Old 10-01-2013   #106
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Sage is not equivalent to Schaub. If you had his performance in his best years, which were with the Texans, you get 2 more INTs than Schaub in this his worst year or you get 2 less TDs - take your pick. Sage was a 1 TD for 1 INT guy (TJ hasn't even been that good at 1 TD for 1.5 INTs).
I agree they are not equivalent, but I do believe they had relative success.

As a Texan, Schaub's W/L is 62/59. Winning% .512
As a Texan, Sage's W/L is 10/11. Winning% .476

Given Schaub gets the lion share of 1st team reps in terms of preparation, etc.. the difference is insignificant. I don't believe either are/were great enough in that they will carry a team.

Recent history, again, suggests that Schaub's best years are behind him.

Gary: Get rid of the GIMP!
Old 10-01-2013   #107
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 304149 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
modern day offensive coaching guru has a system where one can't change the play in a bad situation. Brilliant stuff. La Porte HS QB's have a better system than this for being in a bad play.
I have little doubt that this Fisher Price approach to playcalling/offensive scheme is ultimately going to prevent great things with this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's also very tempting for the defense to blitz when the QB rarely checks out of the play.

I'm in no way absolving Schaub's responsibility for this mistake. But it was a "very,very poor play" call. The defense is not going to crash inside looking for a run on 3rd and 4. They're thinking pass. No one went for the fake as a top defense shouldn't. Schaub had no chance to make a positive play. All he could do was make the least negative play. Which would have been to curl into a ball and take the gift sack. How does Kubiak pour over these plays all week and then during the game, then make a ridiculous call like that?
Sometimes it looks like the Smartest Man in the Stadium out thinks himself. I did not understand why they were not using the best one/two punch in the NFL to run down the clock and grind to a win. The lack of basic football logic with a typical ball-control coach is strange.
Old 10-01-2013   #108
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 268260 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rosenfels: Don’t Blame Schaub, Blame The West Coast Sytem

Quote:
Former Texan QB Sage Rosenfels joins MaD Radio to discuss how much control Matt Schaub has over the offense. Can he audible? Why don’t we see more audibles? Is it that Matt Schaub just can’t handle it or is there something more going on?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #109
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 304149 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

That's an interesting take considering how many championships have been won with the WCO.

Perhaps the Fisher Price version implemented by Kubiak is the root problem.
Old 10-01-2013   #110
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Schaub may not be guilty of everything here, but there is no denying that he has missed wide open receivers dating back to last season and made some dumb ass throws. Don't go sainting Schaub just yet. He has more than enough culpability for his poor play in 2012 and 2013.

Im pretty sure all who play QB in the nfl make dumb throws and miss open receivers as well. This is not some rare occurance that we are only seeing
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #111
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said there's no correlation between Tate's fumble and going exclusively with Arian Foster at running back late in Sunday's loss to Seattle, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Here is some more BS from our HC. Ben Tate has 62 fewer yards than Arian Foster on 42 fewer carries.

http://fantasy.nfl.com/players/card?...layerId=497208

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #112
Tango
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How many Rep pts would that be? LOL

I just repped you

Welcome to the MB.
Lol, thanks. I've been lurking here a long time. I just don't post much.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #113
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
I read this, and while I agree with what you are trying to say, I would counter with what your polar opposites in I and others think:

IF Schaub does recover, what does he recover to? I've seen enough in 7 years to know his ceiling is a borderline GREAT backup caliber QB or a mediocre starter, who has shown the ability to effectively manage a game for good stretches, but by no means has been the engine that makes the offense run. I've seen enough in the past 10 games he's started to have a reasonable expectation that his ceiling has already been realized and is in the rear view mirror.

You can put insert name here into the QB position and still see relative success from mediocrity given the complimenting players at RB, WR, TE and a decent OL. I give you Sage Rosenfels. no better, no worse than Schaub was. Just didn't have as long at the helm. I give you TJ Yates. again, we are in that fuzzy line of great backup/so so starter.

IMHO, you better load up on toilet paper, because I don't believe he's as good as he was, nor will be as good as you think he is.

gary: Get rid of the GIMP!
I would argue that Schaub at his best, 2009-2011 for reference, is above average or at least good enough to get us through the playoffs. People rag on stats, but you don't put up the sorts of numbers he did in those seasons without playing good football. In fact, I still believe that we are in the SB in 2011 if he was under center for the playoffs.

That said, I'm not arguing that he has another 5+ years in the tank and will retire a Texan with multiple rings. We do need to address the QB situation for the future, but he's our best chance for now and that it's a better chance than people think if he gets back to form.
Old 10-01-2013   #114
FuzzyLogic
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 FuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respected

Not making excuses for Schaub, I don't believe he is the answer at QB anymore than most of the posts I have read here. One thing I would like to point out though, is why he gets all of the blame? Shouldn't OD have been more aggressive in that play? Notice it was blown and try and make a play for his QB? He lets Sherman knock him off the ball (and onto his butt). I didn't see a whole lot of fight there from OD.
FuzzyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #115
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 130870 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Screw all the predetermined stuff; here's an option, call a timeout!
But...but...but...when Schaub looked, calling a time out wasn't on the list.
Old 10-01-2013   #116
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
Not making excuses for Schaub, I don't believe he is the answer at QB anymore than most of the posts I have read here. One thing I would like to point out though, is why he gets all of the blame? Shouldn't OD have been more aggressive in that play? Notice it was blown and try and make a play for his QB? He lets Sherman knock him off the ball (and onto his butt). I didn't see a whole lot of fight there from OD.

First the ball should have never been thrown or if thrown is should have been yards short of both players. Second was it OD who was the target of a previous pick 6 where it appeared as though he gave up? I think it was a TE just cant remember if it was OD
Old 10-01-2013   #117
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come On Breh View Post
have you read sherman's quotes about the play? that should give you your answer.

I heard sherman so tell the class what anything he said has to do with what OD can or cant do
Old 10-01-2013   #118
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
I would argue that Schaub at his best, 2009-2011 for reference, is above average or at least good enough to get us through the playoffs. People rag on stats, but you don't put up the sorts of numbers he did in those seasons without playing good football. In fact, I still believe that we are in the SB in 2011 if he was under center for the playoffs.

That said, I'm not arguing that he has another 5+ years in the tank and will retire a Texan with multiple rings. We do need to address the QB situation for the future, but he's our best chance for now and that it's a better chance than people think if he gets back to form.
Agreed with at his best 2009-2011 and the multiple rings part. He's not our best chance for now. He's a proven liability when pressured in the pocket. Our line is adding to his liability and it's high time Kubiak realizes the need to put someone back there that can actually withstand slight pressure on a regular basis.

It's almost as if Kubiak sees Schaub as an extension of himself and is too proud to take himself out of a game he's been out of already since 1983.
Old 10-01-2013   #119
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 268260 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That's an interesting take considering how many championships have been won with the WCO.

Perhaps the Fisher Price version implemented by Kubiak is the root problem.
It was, as characterized by both Kubiak and Tim Hasselbeck, a very, very poor play call & formation.

The best outcome was taking a sack. Matt should have tucked & ducked.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #120
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it really matter what fans think? Is MS going to continue as starting QB and I say he will.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read