Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-05-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ McCarron

So right now we have 4 QB candidates right?
Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron, and Fales.
I have no idea where to rank them yet, even though I've seen them all (between eight to twelve games.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So right now we have 4 QB candidates right?
Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron, and Fales.
I have no idea where to rank them yet, even though I've seen them all (between eight to twelve games.)
Some would add Stephen Morris to that group. I have not evaluated him yet.

08/30/2013 - MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER: QB Stephen Morris moves into his second year as the full-time starter after throwing for 3,345 yards and 21 touchdowns as a junior in 2012. He had huge games against North Carolina State, throwing for an ACC-record 566 yards, and Georgia Tech (436 yards passing) and is the unquestioned leader of an offense that looks to be among the best in the ACC this fall - The Sports Xchange

•More Stephen Morris News
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...stephen-morris

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...stephen-morris

"[The offense] is fun to play in," said Morris, who finished fourth in the ACC last season, averaging 279 passing yards per game. "The opportunity guys have to catch the ball and run with it, spread it out, go in the pro-set and run the ball -- it pleases the offensive line, the running backs, the receivers. We'll be in Wing one set, completely spread out the next. I'm excited for it. He's implemented his own stuff that he had before, and I think it's a great fit for us." http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/coll...-home-in-miami
Old 09-15-2013   #23
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday's game showed the McCarron I saw last year. Glad to see he bounced back from his shaky week 1 performance.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #24
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Derek Carr anyone?
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Derek Carr anyone?
I'm not writing him off.
I think his dealing with his brother's fall-out makes him stronger.
Old 09-21-2013   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're all adults here, for the most part, that we can all agree Kubiak is the one who would sign off, if that where the case. AJ embodies everything Gary values, both on & off the field. That goes a long way despite what ANY OF US MAY FEEL regarding his transition to next level. I think in that sense he would fit like a glove in this offense & would benefit a couple years because Matt is going NOWHERE SOON.

He is fundamentally sound, can take snaps under center, runs the bootleg, intelligent reads through his progressions, decent pocket awareness, lacks a strong arm but seems to release the ball well with good accuracy. Texans also like coach Sabin coaching & teaching his young player to develop leadership & character like professionals, that's why year in & year out Alabama has the one of if not the top recruiting classes in the country.

I will sign off with rmartin65 & badboy that AJ MCCarron is a very legitimate first round target in the 2014 draft for the Texans.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think we're all adults here, for the most part, that we can all agree Kubiak is the one who would sign off, if that where the case. AJ embodies everything Gary values, both on & off the field. That goes a long way despite what ANY OF US MAY FEEL regarding his transition to next level. I think in that sense he would fit like a glove in this offense & would benefit a couple years because Matt is going NOWHERE SOON.

He is fundamentally sound, can take snaps under center, runs the bootleg, intelligent reads through his progressions, decent pocket awareness, lacks a strong arm but seems to release the ball well with good accuracy. Texans also like coach Sabin coaching & teaching his young player to develop leadership & character like professionals, that's why year in & year out Alabama has the one of if not the top recruiting classes in the country.

I will sign off with rmartin65 & badboy that AJ MCCarron is a very legitimate first round target in the 2014 draft for the Texans.
I could see McCarron being the Texans 1st rd pick next yr. Especially if Schaub's foot gives him problems this yr. McCarron can make all of the throws.

Saban is a great HC, but you give him too much credit on the character thingy. (ReLondo McClain sp?)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I could see McCarron being the Texans 1st rd pick next yr. Especially if Schaub's foot gives him problems this yr. McCarron can make all of the throws.

Saban is a great HC, but you give him too much credit on the character thingy. (ReLondo McClain sp?)
lol SB. That's what he sells as part of his program there are always going to be exceptions, drop outs or busts (NFL).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-21-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I heard that Hundley (UCLA) and Mariota (Oregon) may enter the draft as redshirted Sophomore.

Some have them leapfrogging all the QB prospect except for Bridgewater.

Whatcha think?
Old 09-21-2013   #30
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I heard that Hundley (UCLA) and Mariota (Oregon) may enter the draft as redshirted Sophomore.

Whatcha think?
Basic rule of thumb is those QBs who stay in school do better at the next level. Can't say I disagree with that thinking. Today, right now Tajh Boyd would be my choice for #1 QB in the 2014 draft.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #31
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Whatcha think?
That's a stacked QB class so you have to think that a few of these guys are going back for senior (or junior in some cases) years. Haven't seen Hundley play but I know that Mariota is probably going to be highly thought of due to how well RG3, Wilson and Newton all did their rookie years.

But yeah I like a lot of QB's out of this class:

Bridgewater
Manziel (Although I can see why people wouldn't like him currently)
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray
hell even Mettenberger at LSU looks pretty good.

Haven't seen Hundley, and I don't know what to think of Mariota really since he would take a lot more attention to detail to get an idea of what his NFL look might be.
Old 10-01-2013   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
That's a stacked QB class so you have to think that a few of these guys are going back for senior (or junior in some cases) years. Haven't seen Hundley play but I know that Mariota is probably going to be highly thought of due to how well RG3, Wilson and Newton all did their rookie years.

Bridgewater
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray

Haven't seen Hundley, and I don't know what to think of Mariota really since he would take a lot more attention to detail to get an idea of what his NFL look might be.
I expect Hundley & Mariota to stay in school one more year. Who knows about Manziel he is bit of a maverick. Bridgewater is impressive throwing the ball but not so sure about his decision making. Boyd is polished, physical & highly competitive, I really like him. McCarron is a plug & play QB for Kubiak system. No opinion on Fales, both hot & cold. Murray is next Drew Brees, great leadership, accurate throws both short & deep. Mettenberger reminds me of a young Jim Harbaugh, tough, stands tall in the pocket in face of pass rush, captain comeback ability, strong arm.

Several to choose from if Texans don't take the BQBA I'll quit following them until Kubiak is gone.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-01-2013   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I expect Hundley & Mariota to stay in school one more year. Who knows about Manziel he is bit of a maverick. Bridgewater is impressive throwing the ball but not so sure about his decision making. Boyd is polished, physical & highly competitive, I really like him. McCarron is a plug & play QB for Kubiak system. No opinion on Fales, both hot & cold. Murray is next Drew Brees, great leadership, accurate throws both short & deep. Mettenberger reminds me of a young Jim Harbaugh, tough, stands tall in the pocket in face of pass rush, captain comeback ability, strong arm.

Several to choose from if Texans don't take the BQBA I'll quit following them until Kubiak is gone.
Beerlover "the scout". We again agree on evaluation. Manziel is a fascinating prospect that I would select if I had a complete team and could gamble with a first round. We with this team cannot afford to "miss" on any first rounder. My concern is that we will have another KJ incident meaning that we needed a corner who could step in year one and be effective. KJ was considered "pro" ready and then took 3 years. That was the complaint I had then as many on MB should recall. We are in a unique position with QB that we can keep Shaub thru 2014 & allow whomever to sit and learn. I would not scream if we took Manziel but if McCarron is sitting there, he is more pro ready.

As we discussed pm, I am starting to change on selecting a QB as I think MS is going nowhere so I will not mock a QB at this time.
Old 10-01-2013   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

Bridgewater
Boyd
McCarron
Fales
Murray

Here's how I would rank those QB's as related to the Texans QB needs
1. Bridgewater
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Manziel, the ultimate wildcard, he could end up #1 in this class. If you like Boyd you should love Manziel.
5. Murray
6. Boyd, I dont like his throwing motion and decision making, he runs too hot and cold for my taste
7. Fales, I've only seen him play last wk and wasn't impressed
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Old 10-01-2013   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Here's how I would rank those QB's as related to the Texans QB needs
1. Bridgewater
2. Mettenberger
3. McCarron
4. Manziel, the ultimate wildcard, he could end up #1 in this class. If you like Boyd you should love Manziel.
5. Murray
6. Boyd, I dont like his throwing motion and decision making, he runs too hot and cold for my taste
7. Fales, I've only seen him play last wk and wasn't impressed
Flip McCarron and Murray and I largely agree with this list. I have watched almost every game McCarron has played. He has just never impressed me. I do not see him being anything special at the pro level. Murray is going to be considered less of a pro prospect just because of his height, but the guy can sling it. He may bust out as well, but I think he has a higher potential than McCarron. And let's face it, if you're drafting a QB early, so you really want another Matt Schaub? Or do you want a guy who might be better?
Old 11-09-2013   #37
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A J McCarron

Tonight Bama & A J McCarron take on LSU and Zack Mettenberger. While a big majority of the talking heads and draftniks say McCarron is a 3rd RD draft pick, I predict A J McCarron will be on many NFL teams 1st RD draft board. In fact if the Texans do go with a QB in Rd 1 there is a good chance McCarron could be Houston Texans if they don't go with Johnny Football.

McCarron has a many similarities that remind me of Joe Montana while at Notre Dame, cool, calm, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, relishes the opportunity to come from behind and likes to take care of business with last possession game winning drives. And like Montana, all McCarron does is WIN!

Last edited by Texian; 11-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Default Re: A J McCarron

Well you won't get much support for that POV here but it would not surprise me. I had him in third on my mock but don't see him getting out of second. I am ok with that as I am no longer picking QB until late to back up Keenum. He is as good as any QB I've watched this season if you take Maziel's charisma and football magic out of it.
Old 11-09-2013   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A J McCarron

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101718
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Alabama versus Auburn: McCarron under pressure drops a 20 yard TD pass over two defenders. Great pocket and what Texans have to build no matter who is QB.

9 of 13 85 yards 2 TDs no INTs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read