Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2013   #61
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: Schaub couldn’t audible out of “very, very poor play”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
A few years ago (when the right side of his OLine weren't incompetent Fug ups), Schaub was a blitz beater with the highest QB rating in the NFL when blitzed.

Funny how that works.
I attribute it to an injury.
Old 10-01-2013   #62
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I attribute it to an injury.
That could also play a role, but Schaub's mobility hasn't been affected that much (he was never what I would call nimble), while the current borderline NFL talent on the right side of the OLine is not 50% of Biscuit and Caveman.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #63
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A few years ago (when the right side of his OLine weren't incompetent Fug ups), Schaub was a blitz beater with the highest QB rating in the NFL when blitzed.

Funny how that works.

The DB didn't come up until the WR came in motion. Kubiak said that once the motion started, they can't audible the play.

Why is that so hard for people to understand? It was either run it or call a time out at that point.
Chill out for one sec.

Checking a blitzer is not an audible.

Apples and Oranges.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
I would have been great if Schaub noticed the safety/cb approaching the line to blitz... Of course, he had no clue. Zero awareness.
Quote:
The DB didn't come up until the WR came in motion. Kubiak said that once the motion started, they can't audible the play.
Exactly, plus there is absolutely no way to look at that clip and tell whether Schaub was aware of the safety.
Old 10-01-2013   #65
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That could also play a role, but Schaub's mobility hasn't been affected that much (he was never what I would call nimble), while the current borderline NFL talent on the right side of the OLine is not 50% of Biscuit and Caveman.
And therein is the majority of the problem. I'll have to walk the circumstances through my head again, but changing up our offensive line at the height of offensive power was the death knell. I was thinking about this today. As much as we browbeat Winston, who among you wouldn't want him back today, if only to give ourselves a fighting chance?
EVOLVIST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #66
jmont93
Rookie

Schaub is not the flashiest guy but he has a good skill set. It's not necessarily his play that is costing us. Him included, its about playing sixty minutes of intense and disciplined football. Bring some passion to the offense. Everything I have seen so far is Andre, Schaub, and Kubiak moping around and Foster getting angry at himself for not producing like he used to. Starting at the top get driven and have those players in the zone. Did you see Pete Carol and Russell Wilson towards the end of that game. There was no way in hell they were going to lose that. Whether Schaub can get an edge to him and bring out the intensity in the offense is what will determine if this team makes the super bowl.
jmont93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #67
waynegg
Veteran

Rep Power: 3727 waynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Exactly, plus there is absolutely no way to look at that clip and tell whether Schaub was aware of the safety.
There is a way to look at it and tell that he should have been...
waynegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #68
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's sad that Kubiak doesn't trust Schaub to make audibles at the LOS. I'm not sure if this is an indictment of Kubiak, Schaub, or both. I honestly think it's both. Kubiak is an ego maniac control freak that must be in control of every aspect of the team at all times, and Schaub is terrible under pressure, isn't smart enough, or good enough to audible to the correct play when it's needed.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #69
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The previous two weeks he had pick six's. We would have understood the logic. Schaub went from trending to full blown Schaub Team Six.
There was a stretch in 2010 where Peyton Manning threw 11 INTs in 3 games, including two pick-6s in an OT loss to Dallas. Neck injury, yeah yeah we know...the point is that most good QBs have crappy games, sometimes even stretches of crappy games. They usually recover and I expect Schaub to do the same.
Old 10-01-2013   #70
LEATHERHEAD
Veteran

Section: 123 C
Rep Power: 1017 LEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respected

Im going to tape the next game,,,so I only Waste a 1 1/2 of my life...???????20 unanswered points???????im mad at MeatHead also,,but damn
LEATHERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
If this is right, I feel pretty certain Kubiak and Smith knew this before they signed Schaub to the extension. So, if they knew this beforehand, why the heck did we offer him this huge contract? Were they both so arrogant as to believe that even though he has these major limitations, they could work around them because Kubiak is an offensive guru and could manage the QB and the team to a championship?
Just more stuff that doesn't add up, yet "we" find to be more believable.

Old 10-01-2013   #72
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It sounds more like he is instinctually covering for Schaub, but thereby implicating himself to a fan base that already sees he, Schaub's contract and Rick Smith's incredible UDFA work as the Teflon Trinity.

This team is talented enough to get the result, they just need an organizational structure that has check and balances. The current power structure has been on cruise control since pen went to paper eight years ago.
My thoughts exactly. Great post!
Old 10-01-2013   #73
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
There was a stretch in 2010 where Peyton Manning threw 11 INTs in 3 games, including two pick-6s in an OT loss to Dallas. Neck injury, yeah yeah we know...the point is that most good QBs have crappy games, sometimes even stretches of crappy games. They usually recover and I expect Schaub to do the same.
Please, please, PUH-LEEZE tell me you aren't trying to compare the trials and tribulations of The Peyton to Matt Schaub. You absolutely can NOT make that comparison and to even bring something like that up is ludicrous. I would neither consider Manning nor Schaub "good" quarterbacks. The Peyton is probably the greatest QB of our time and the other is the complete polar opposite of that description. Good is somewhere in the middle.

Mr. Burro, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in on message board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 10-01-2013   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is one narrative. The counter would be, that evening in knowing Schaub's lack of agility, Kubiak decides to call a play that puts his QB in a position to fail at the height of the game - while not giving Schaub an opportunity to audible into a Moons over my Hammy.

Live with the menu, die by the menu.
Kubiak is falling on the sword for Matt. They go to the line & make adjustments. Matt did not see something he was supposed to see. He should have checked out of that play if he saw two blitzers off the backside.... he didn't.

That would have been a handoff to Arian if he had. Maybe Matt was thinking he'll keep the ball & make a play, it was 3rd & 4... not really a run situation. But Arian just had 2 carries for 5 yards & a third (the most recent) for 1.

With two blitzers off the backside, the playside should have been able to pick up 4 yards.
Old 10-01-2013   #75
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The stink on this team just got a little worse.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
that's how i'm reading it as well. there are always pre-snap options. kubiak is protecting schaub here, though is also probably a bit beside himself for calling the play in hindsight.
People are showing their hatred for Schaub with their response to this. They're talking about Schaub going full retard, but they're swallowing the coach speak hook line & sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Or this last game with tons of folks jumping in saying AJ was wide open in the back of the end zone. No as a practical matter he wasn't. Schaub was heading right to left with AJ well back from him. That would have required gymnast to pull off and we know that ain't Schaub.
Like an idiot, my eyes were about 5 inches wide. I was sitting on the edge of my seat fully prepared to leap 5 feet in the air.

Schaub did a wonderful job avoiding a sack.... he separated himself from his pursuants wonderfully. As he made his way to the sideline, he looked at the one receiver there (had that guy made a beeline for the back of the end zone, no doubt in my mind Schaub would have made the right throw, but that didn't happen). After he did not open up, Schaub threw the ball away. Not a defender around him for at least 5 yards.

Had he stopped, set his feet & just looked for another receiver working his way open he'd have seen Andre coming to him. If there was no one there, he could have thrown it out of the back of the end zone.

No doubt about it, it would have been an amazing play from Matt Schaub.

But isn't that what we're saying we need? That would have won the game & put another in the practically empty Matt Schaub bag (had the defense held up, which at that point I can't say they would have based on the way they were playing at that moment (what they did in the first half was irrelevant at that point)).
Old 10-01-2013   #77
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

There is absolutely no way Kubiak is the head coach here next season.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Why is that so hard for people to understand? It was either run it or call a time out at that point.
We weren't even threathening the play clock at that time...... another WTF decision when you consider we should have been trying to kill the clock.

Just because Kubiak says there wasn't time, doesn't mean there wasn't time.

Most likely Schaub didn't see the DB was set to blitz, probably thought he was just adjusting to the WR. In his defense, Schaub is looking at him out of the corner of his eye. What he saw probably looked a lot like what he wanted to see.
Old 10-01-2013   #79
Tango
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respected

This is why I hate the 'journalism' in sports so much. It's already bad enough at usual sphere, but in the sports sphere the so called, reporters are down right bad. That Schaub wasn't given a chance to change the play (or ever given a chance to change the play) is a myth.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ng/?cmpid=hpbn
Quote:
There’s a misconception that Matt Schaub can’t change plays at the line of scrimmage.

In the loss to Seattle, Schaub checked out of “a lot of situations,” according to coach Gary Kubiak.

The Texans don’t use conventional audibles where the quarterback can change the play and call what he wants based on the defense.

Schaub has a lot of freedom at the line of scrimmage. When the Texans are in their hurry-up offense, Schaub calls everything at the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, the Texans use predetermined options that are set by the coaches.

Schaub may call two plays in the huddle based on what the coverage might be. He can check out of one and go with the other at the line of scrimmage.

Kubiak created confusion on Monday when he was asked if Schaub could have checked out of the bootleg call that resulted in him forcing a pass to tight end Owen Daniels that was returned for a touchdown that tied the score 20-20.

Schaub should have thrown the ball away with blitzing strong safety Kam Chancellor in his face. Asked if Schaub could have called an audible, Kubiak said, “No, once we called it, started the motion, it was game on.”
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #80
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
There is absolutely no way Kubiak is the head coach here next season.
C'mon man... I would like to believe this but I just can't. Who do they sign and is Bob willing to blow this thing up and start over. Don't tell me Wade would be the guy, I don't think he has the ability to put the discipline needed into the team as a head coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read