Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2013   #41
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: Schaub couldn’t audible out of “very, very poor play”

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Kubiak is a ****ing idiot.
I'm crying laughing! Most of this is joy with some sorrow. I'm happy and at peace with the fact that all texans fans are now forced to see this and that Schaub is what he is as well. I just hate seeing the texans lose it just ticks me the F off.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #42
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
he should be f'n embarrassed for even admitting that.
This guy thinks he's a great coach... what a joke.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #43
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying for years that this isn't a complex audibling system. This is an old school system that a lot of highschool teams don't even use anymore.

The "audibles" are built in and pre determined. There is no creative audibling by Schaub and his pre snap reads are basic.

Sage already explained this. Schaub has said things that showed what our system is like and so has kubiak.

But Schaub not being able to use a big boy audibling system wasn't the issue there. It might be a symptom of a bigger problem, but Schaub just needs to not go full retard when he's faced with a rushing defender.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #44
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've been saying for years that this isn't a complex audibling system. This is an old school system that a lot of highschool teams don't even use anymore.

The "audibles" are built in and pre determined. There is no creative audibling by Schaub and his pre snap reads are basic.

Sage already explained this. Schaub has said things that showed what our system is like and so has kubiak.

But Schaub not being able to use a big boy audibling system wasn't the issue there. It might be a symptom of a bigger problem, but Schaub just needs to not go full retard when he's faced with a rushing defender.
That is one narrative. The counter would be, that evening in knowing Schaub's lack of agility, Kubiak decides to call a play that puts his QB in a position to fail at the height of the game - while not giving Schaub an opportunity to audible into a Moons over my Hammy.

Live with the menu, die by the menu.
Old 09-30-2013   #45
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub audibled to a different play and we didn't make the first down, assuming Seattle still wins the game, fans would just complain about how inept he is at it and demand he never do it again.

Hindsight is 20/20, Schaub trusted the judgement of the (alleged) offensive genius HC and it didn't work out. That's going to happen from time to time in the NFL, it's not like Seattle got to be the #1 defense through a lottery.
Old 09-30-2013   #46
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
If Schaub audibled to a different play and we didn't make the first down, assuming Seattle still wins the game, fans would just complain about how inept he is at it and demand he never do it again.

Hindsight is 20/20, Schaub trusted the judgement of the (alleged) offensive genius HC and it didn't work out. That's going to happen from time to time in the NFL, it's not like Seattle got to be the #1 defense through a lottery.
The previous two weeks he had pick six's. We would have understood the logic. Schaub went from trending to full blown Schaub Team Six.
Old 09-30-2013   #47
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Or Kubiak is falling on his sword and hopefully Smith is kept as GM in 2014. I don't want to see another full rebuilding.
Old 09-30-2013   #48
JPPT1974
Happy December!

Rep Power: 1472 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

You live and learn. Hopefully Kubiak and team will rebound in week five and beyond!
Old 09-30-2013   #49
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My take in a different thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Wtf? Schaub couldn't audible to a running play if he noticed a blitz? Somehow I call bs on Kubiak here. I would bet Kubiak is just trying to take heat off his QB with this comment.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He doesn't read defenses well. He doesn't go through progressions well. He doesn't see wide open receivers well. Why would you not believe that he does not have the ability to recognize what play to call in an audible?
Funny I only hear the progressions and doesn't see receivers from Texans fans. The ex-coaches say those are strengths.

Honestly it is hilarious reading the game day thread and listening at the same time. The former QB commentator will be saying Schaub is on his 3rd read and the MB will be saying he stared down his receiver the whole way. Or this last game with tons of folks jumping in saying AJ was wide open in the back of the end zone. No as a practical matter he wasn't. Schaub was heading right to left with AJ well back from him. That would have required gymnast to pull off and we know that ain't Schaub.

To be clear, Schaub is not playing well but he is also not guilty of everything alleged here.
Old 09-30-2013   #51
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
My take in a different thread: Wtf? Schaub couldn't audible to a running play if he noticed a blitz? Somehow I call bs on Kubiak here. I would bet Kubiak is just trying to take heat off his QB with this comment.
that's how i'm reading it as well. there are always pre-snap options. kubiak is protecting schaub here, though is also probably a bit beside himself for calling the play in hindsight.

for the record, i'm still on board with kubiak. i think he and wade are our ideal coaches. the one and only part of the team that i've given up on is matt schaub. now if kubiak wants to hang himself with the matt schaub rope, i cant say much, but otherwise he has my support.
Old 09-30-2013   #52
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Funny I only hear the progressions and doesn't see receivers from Texans fans. The ex-coaches say those are strengths.

Honestly it is hilarious reading the game day thread and listening at the same time. The former QB commentator will be saying Schaub is on his 3rd read and the MB will be saying he stared down his receiver the whole way. Or this last game with tons of folks jumping in saying AJ was wide open in the back of the end zone. No as a practical matter he wasn't. Schaub was heading right to left with AJ well back from him. That would have required gymnast to pull off and we know that ain't Schaub.

To be clear, Schaub is not playing well but he is also not guilty of everything alleged here.
Schaub may not be guilty of everything here, but there is no denying that he has missed wide open receivers dating back to last season and made some dumb ass throws. Don't go sainting Schaub just yet. He has more than enough culpability for his poor play in 2012 and 2013.
Old 09-30-2013   #53
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is ****ing ridiculous, college QB's all over the country are allowed to audible out of bad plays but we have a 10yr veteran that our coach doesn't allow to audible. Kubes needs to go asap.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #54
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
that's how i'm reading it as well. there are always pre-snap options. kubiak is protecting schaub here, though is also probably a bit beside himself for calling the play in hindsight.

for the record, i'm still on board with kubiak. i think he and wade are our ideal coaches. the one and only part of the team that i've given up on is matt schaub. now if kubiak wants to hang himself with the matt schaub rope, i cant say much, but otherwise he has my support.
I think one more pick 6 will put Schaub to bed.

Or they'll fake an injury to save face.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #55
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Schaub may not be guilty of everything here, but there is no denying that he has missed wide open receivers dating back to last season and made some dumb ass throws. Don't go sainting Schaub just yet. He has more than enough culpability for his poor play in 2012 and 2013.
Schaub wears the scarlet letter, make no mistake about it.

His time is nearing an end.
Old 09-30-2013   #56
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub doesn't get a free pass because he made a bonehead play, but he made one earlier in the game so what exactly did we really expect him to do. We hear this lack of audible freedom every year and it always comes back to bite us in the ass. Have you ever heard of this in the history of football ?? This might be why Manning was never really a possibility to come here it might be that Gary was too stubborn to give up some of his authority when it comes to the offense.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Don't go sainting Schaub just yet. He has more than enough culpability for his poor play in 2012 and 2013.
Not sainting him at all. To the contrary I am saying there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about Schaub and Kubiak without making more up. On the pick 6 it was a poor play call, a bad protection call, a bad decision not to audible whether or not authorized and brain dead execution.
Old 09-30-2013   #58
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I heard the play by play team say that Schaub is the most blitzed QB in the NFL. No shock since he handles pressure poorly and doesn't stretch the field to make teams pay.
It's also very tempting for the defense to blitz when the QB rarely checks out of the play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
That is one narrative. The counter would be, that evening in knowing Schaub's lack of agility, Kubiak decides to call a play that puts his QB in a position to fail at the height of the game - while not giving Schaub an opportunity to audible into a Moons over my Hammy.

Live with the menu, die by the menu.
I'm in no way absolving Schaub's responsibility for this mistake. But it was a "very,very poor play" call. The defense is not going to crash inside looking for a run on 3rd and 4. They're thinking pass. No one went for the fake as a top defense shouldn't. Schaub had no chance to make a positive play. All he could do was make the least negative play. Which would have been to curl into a ball and take the gift sack. How does Kubiak pour over these plays all week and then during the game, then make a ridiculous call like that?
Old 09-30-2013   #59
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not sainting him at all. To the contrary I am saying there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about Schaub and Kubiak without making more up. On the pick 6 it was a poor play call, a bad protection call, a bad decision not to audible whether or not authorized and brain dead execution.
I would have been great if Schaub noticed the safety/cb approaching the line to blitz... Of course, he had no clue. Zero awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUbvJZfkuzA
Old 10-01-2013   #60
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I heard the play by play team say that Schaub is the most blitzed QB in the NFL. No shock since he handles pressure poorly and doesn't stretch the field to make teams pay.
A few years ago (when the right side of his OLine weren't incompetent Fug ups), Schaub was a blitz beater with the highest QB rating in the NFL when blitzed.

Funny how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
I would have been great if Schaub noticed the safety/cb approaching the line to blitz... Of course, he had no clue. Zero awareness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUbvJZfkuzA
The DB didn't come up until the WR came in motion. Kubiak said that once the motion started, they can't audible the play.

Why is that so hard for people to understand? It was either run it or call a time out at that point.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read