Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2004   #1
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected
Default mort report

Aug 18 Chat

F Sabo (Mich): Mort I know you see this!!! Who do you think will have the better record this year, Lions or Texans? Also, which '02 draft pick would you rather have, Carr or Harrington?

Chris Mortensen: I would say the Texans. I think they are the real potential surprise team to watch this year. And I know you're from Michigan, but I would definitely take David Carr - and I believe everyone else in the NFL would, too. That's not a big knock on harrington. Carr is the real deal - a Pro Bowl QB waiting to happen.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Well its nice to see some good press about us every once and awhile, even though they come in small bursts.
I don't know if this would qualify for a bandwagon reporter train though(I am keeping tabs).
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #3
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Aug 18 Chat

F Sabo (Mich): Mort I know you see this!!! Who do you think will have the better record this year, Lions or Texans? Also, which '02 draft pick would you rather have, Carr or Harrington?

Chris Mortensen: I would say the Texans. I think they are the real potential surprise team to watch this year. And I know you're from Michigan, but I would definitely take David Carr - and I believe everyone else in the NFL would, too. That's not a big knock on harrington. Carr is the real deal - a Pro Bowl QB waiting to happen.
This bandwagoning stuff is getting interesting - well, at least it's based on a game, even if a pre-season one as opposed to that weird Jacksonville thing that happened in the middle of the offseason.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Mort loves Carr. That's about the 3rd time this offseason that he's given Carr props in his chats. Like Mort, I can't see anyone favoring Joey over David.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

There have been a few times this offseason that Mort was high on Carr. He listed him among the likes of Culpepper, Vick, etc. based on his arm strength and athletic ability. Mort's not as much of a bandwagoner type guy as most talking heads. I'm sure there is some instances, but for the most part he just reports the facts in what he sees. He doesn't try to please anyone with what he says.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #6
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Mort has said before that besides Michael Vick, David Carr is the most physically gifted QB in the NFL.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Mort has said before that besides Michael Vick, David Carr is the most physically gifted QB in the NFL.
Not a lot of people give Carr enough credit for his running ability...
Quote:
Quarterbacks with the most rushing yardage the past two seasons:

Player Team Att. Yds
Michael Vick Atl. 153 1,032
D. Culpepper Min. 179 1,031
D. McNabb Phi. 134 815
Jeff Garcia Cle. 129 672
Steve McNair Ten. 120 578
Jake Plummer Den. 83 488
K. Stewart Chi. 102 481
David Carr Hou. 86 433
Aaron Brooks NO. 116 428
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2743310

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2004   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or have we started getting a little more praise from the media after last Saturday's win? I know before preseason a lot of the media had the Jags picked as surprise team of the year and us to be in the cellar, but since last weekend it seems like a lot more of the media has us picked to be the surprise team and the Jags to be in the cellar...
Old 08-18-2004   #9
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Is it just me, or have we started getting a little more praise from the media after last Saturday's win? I know before preseason a lot of the media had the Jags picked as surprise team of the year and us to be in the cellar, but since last weekend it seems like a lot more of the media has us picked to be the surprise team and the Jags to be in the cellar...
It could be that, or we are getting closer to the season so there is more football talk and in return we have more chances to get metioned. I hear a lot of good stuff about the Texans on ESPN Radio...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 08-18-2004   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think it also has a bit to do with both ours and Jacksonvilles perpective preseason games. I believe the Jags got 5 or 6 points while Leftwich was in at QB with the 1st Teamers against the Dolphins. Couple that with David Carr leading the Texans to points their first three drives, and you get a bit of a flip flop scenario among many in the media. If the reverse happens this saturday, then you'll probably see yet another cycle of Texan bashing. I know that last Saturday SportsCenter led off with the Texans/Cowboys preseason game. The NFL media blitz is just beginning. Soon enough you'll see nothing but NFL coverage for the first half of every sports program.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing to remember is that Mort has been praising the Texans since the end of last season. I would pick Carr over Harrington anyday also but that is not to say Harrington isn't any good either. I just don't think Harrington would've done half the things Carr did with an expansion team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Soon enough you'll see nothing but NFL coverage for the first half of every sports program.
The way I like it...

Old 08-18-2004   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the time would never come...but I guess it is almost here
Old 08-19-2004   #14
Sudds
Rookie

Thumbs up Mort on Carr

Interesting post by Chris Mortenson of ESPN regarding the Carr vs. Harrington debate. I'm not one to compare these two guys, but my thoughts on Carr seem to match Mort's. See post below. What do you guys think?

Sudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #15
Sudds
Rookie

I have no idea why my post was dragged down this far. I initially made this post about 2 hours ago and it just popped up now. Makes me look like an *****.
Sudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #16
DominatorDavis
Veteran

I am a middle of the road kind of guy. Not too much one way not to much the other - kind of split on a lot of sporting issues. To watch the media dichotomy just try their best to dissect this stuff. It is funny to watch the guessing games go on before the season begins. All the pomp and brash statements and media posturing. It is comical. Salsbury is all over the Texans saying that they are going to the playoffs while Ditka is the exact polar opposite claiming that they didnt improve and that they are bottom feeders.

There is a ton of pressure to be right....
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I swear sometimes I think the talking heads and writers just draw straws where every team is concerned. Half of them write "They stink" stories and the other half write "Surprise team of the year" stories. It's all about getting things interesting and stirring conversation. If we're talking about it then it was a "good" story.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read