Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2013   #81
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We don't look as good as the Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Where the hell is that guy? He used to get this board roaring.
He started his own board/forum a couple of years ago. Fantasy baseball IIRC. I don't remember if he posted it here or he PM'd me but he said that was eating all of his time and he'd pop in here ever so often. I think I've seen post twice since.

That's all I got.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #82
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

speaking of people that don't post anymore, what about kastofsna or however you spell it?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #83
gcates
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't read the entire thread, just responding to the OP:

Denver won their first two games, as did Houston. Denver may have won more impressively, but football games do not take place in a bubble. One cannot compare two games between four different teams as there are so many variables that contribute to the end result.

Take the Patriots, for example. Do you think anyone is seriously doubting their chances to contend for a Super Bowl based on their less than dominating victories in weeks 1 and 2?

I think as fans we sometimes overthink things. It doesn't matter how the team is perceived right now by ourselves or the general media, or by other teams. What matters is whether or not we win the games on our schedule. It also doesn't matter what another team is doing independently of ours. If Denver had beaten us and Peyton thrown for 500 yds and 8 TDs, then yes, that would be cause for concern because they are a potential playoff matchup. However, what they did to other teams that we have not played is irrelevant to the Texans right now.

Even if we lose to a Ravens team that Denver beat, that does not mean we cannot beat Denver should we play them. It just means that we lost to the Ravens that day.

Power Rankings do not decide playoff seedings, especially after week 2.
gcates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #84
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why not?
Net Turnovers:

Texans -2
Broncos +3

And it's not all Manning vs. Schaub. Denver has 6 interceptions while Houston has 1.
Old 09-27-2013   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

This time last year, "everyone" new the Broncos (1-2) were a work in progress. We knew they would be a better team, a much better team before the year was over.

I'm seeing Hopkins & Posey opening up our offense.
I see Brooks & Newton getting better on that right side.
I see Arian getting better as the year progresses
I see Whitney Mercilus being the guy Wade thought he was.
I see a healthier Schaub than I've seen in at lest 2 years.

What am I missing? Why aren't we all seeing that we're on our way to being a much better team than we were in 2012 ( a team lucky to win 12 games) & much closer to that 2011 team (that should have won the Super Bowl)?
Old 09-27-2013   #86
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This time last year, "everyone" new the Broncos (1-2) were a work in progress. We knew they would be a better team, a much better team before the year was over.

What am I missing? Why aren't we all seeing that we're on our way to being a much better team than we were in 2012 ( a team lucky to win 12 games) & much closer to that 2011 team (that should have won the Super Bowl)?

Because the qb has been playing like crap.

Chances are we'll improve as the yr goes on. Problem is, so will other teams.

I keep trying to excuse kubiak and wonder if his coaching style would change under different conditions but the qb issues is just one problem I have. I don't believe this team believes in the qb to make plays and I don't think kubiak believes it either so he overemphasizes not making mistakes.

FB drops a pass on the opening drive = total melt down. Qb is unable to make p for it, kubiak gets the upset stomach face and guys tighten up. These guys don't play loose. It's just a big circle that revolves around the qb and head coach and no one can escape.

It's fine when you play other teams that shoot themselves in the foot or aren't vey talented, but when we face other good teams playing good football we crumble.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #87
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think Schaub looks healthier than he has in a long, long time. People are goin to change the way they think about Matt Schaub.

We see what Ben & Eli look like without elite running games & above average offensive lines. We see what that New England offnes looks like without "the right" play-makers. We saw what the Saints looked like without a defense.

Schaub ain't the only one who needs a little help. He's going to take care of thatt winnning thing this year & fix the perspective on Matt Schaub.

No doubt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-28-2013   #88
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Unfortunately, I see Kubiak/ Dennison not being willing to adjust game plans enough to encompass the improved talent at key positions or adjust accordingly to accommodate injuries/inconsistencies on the OL.

Phillips seems to be able to adjust his defenses to counter tactics on a weekly basis. To be honest, neither Phillips or Kubiak/ Dennison adjust nearly as quickly as we fans would like. Kubiak and Dennison seem a lot less keen on dictating the action through changing tactics than reinforcing the "I will impose my will on you" mantra, whether through running or passing. How many fans almost had cardiac arrest on the fake punt in the Chargers game?
Old 09-28-2013   #89
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still think Schaub looks healthier than he has in a long, long time. People are goin to change the way they think about Matt Schaub.

We see what Ben & Eli look like without elite running games & above average offensive lines. We see what that New England offnes looks like without "the right" play-makers. We saw what the Saints looked like without a defense.

Schaub ain't the only one who needs a little help. He's going to take care of thatt winnning thing this year & fix the perspective on Matt Schaub.

No doubt.

I wonder if it is Schaub or if it is Schaub and the playcalling. Our offense was much more open in the second half of the Chargers game and Titans game. We didn't even make any throws past 10-15 yards last game. That's what I never understood. Yes, Schaub was taking a lot of pressure, but still you gotta be more aggressive with the play calls.

A screen pass on 4th and 2 is a downright stupid playcall. That said, Schaub has to play better also. If the pocket collapses he needs to move and do something.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #90
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
To be honest, neither Phillips or Kubiak/ Dennison adjust nearly as quickly as we fans would like. Kubiak and Dennison seem a lot less keen on dictating the action through changing tactics than reinforcing the "I will impose my will on you" mantra, whether through running or passing. How many fans almost had cardiac arrest on the fake punt in the Chargers game?
Maybe it's not as easy as you think it is.

If you can bring yourself to do it, watch the Tennessee game again. There's a lot of what you're looking for in there. We're just missing by inches. I feel in a few more games, you're going to see exactly what you're looking for.

Maybe we're going a little slower than any of us would like..... but maybe it'll stick, you know what I mean?
Old 09-28-2013   #91
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I wonder if it is Schaub or if it is Schaub and the playcalling. Our offense was much more open in the second half of the Chargers game and Titans game. We didn't even make any throws past 10-15 yards last game. That's what I never understood. Yes, Schaub was taking a lot of pressure, but still you gotta be more aggressive with the play calls.

A screen pass on 4th and 2 is a downright stupid playcall. That said, Schaub has to play better also. If the pocket collapses he needs to move and do something.
The 4th & 2 was asinine. That was on Kubiak.... actually Schaub should have had the balls to say, "WTF...... I got this." & if I'm Kubiak, I'm getting tired of waiting for him to say it. I think Elway, Young, maybe even Griese had to command that kind of respect from Kubiak/Schanahan. I don't believe it should be "given" to a QB. When we're in crunch time, you want to know your QB, your field general is as invested in the play as you are.

The other plays... not throwing deep unless we're down by two scores... that's on Schaub. Don't just look at the guy who catches the ball. Look at the other receivers. There's usually a shallow, mid, deep route, Schaub chooses to throw to someone other than the deep guy.

The deep route is usually the "riskiest" in Schaubspeak, "we take what the defense gives us, they take away Andre..." When it gets real, he'll challenge two deep coverage, but when Kubiak will call plays that will open Andre against those coverages... why?

He trusts that Kubiak will call those plays at the appropriate time. He usually does.
Old 09-28-2013   #92
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No doubt.

I've seen all those qb's regularly make plays when the play breaks down. And I've said this a million times and so have nfl players: Our offense doesn't put as much in the qb as some other offenses.

I guarantee that if you put Schaub in those other guys' offenses and ask him to do what they are doing playmaking wise, he'd be much worse. This offense makes Schaub and everyone else that plats qb in it look a little better than they are.

Schaub can't do what any of those guys can do. He's not a playmaker. Yes he will pull a blue moon out of his ass every now and then, but that's not his M.O.

The comparisons don't work.

Take it fwiw, but some media guys are saying that there are quite a few guys in the locker room that will privately admit that they don't believe Schaub is good enough.

I think Derrick Ward was spot on with his Eli/Schaub comparison. Eli isn't even the greatest qb in the world, but Eli in this offense would be 100x better that what we have now.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've seen all those qb's regularly make plays when the play breaks down.

Schaub can't do what any of those guys can do. He's not a playmaker. Yes he will pull a blue moon out of his ass every now and then, but that's not his M.O.
No doubt about it, but even with that advantage Schaub gets similar results. Maybe it's the offense but we saw this offense take a major step back in efficiency when the more mobile Yates came in. I'd like to think we'd get what Schaub does before the play breaks down in addition to what Ben & Eli can do after... But that's not the point.

Schaub in this offense is equivalent to them in theirs for all intents & purposes.

& Schaub has been finding that blue moon situation in every game we've played so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Take it fwiw, but some media guys are saying that there are quite a few guys in the locker room that will privately admit that they don't believe Schaub is good enough.

I think Derrick Ward was spot on with his Eli/Schaub comparison. Eli isn't even the greatest qb in the world, but Eli in this offense would be 100x better that what we have now.
Maybe why Derrick Ward isn't collecting a paycheck from the NFL these days. If there are guys in that locker room who don't believe in Schaub that's on Schaub & says more about his leadership than his play on the field which I am not debating at this time.

He looks good to me... Better than he did before the injury. We weren't undefeated then, I don't expect us to be now. He threw interceptions then I don't over react when I see them now. He had stinker games, I expect a couple of stinkers in the future. So far, Eli & Ben have had more stinkers than Schaub.

He's not as big as Ben, not as tough as Eli, or Flacco for that matter. But in this offense he's as good as any of them in theirs & therefore can win a SuperBowl if everybody does their job like JPp & Strahan & Hicks & Cruz helped Eli. Or Bettis, Ward, Harrison, & Palamalu helped Ben.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 09-29-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: changed their to there
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #94
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No doubt about it, but even with that advantage Schaub gets similar results. Maybe it's the offense but we saw this offense take a major step back in efficiency when the more mobile Yates came in. I'd like to think we'd get what Schaub does before the play breaks down in addition to what Ben & Eli can do after... But that's not the point.

Schaub in this offense is equivalent to them in theirs for all intents & purposes.

& Schaub has been finding that blue moon situation in every game we've played so far.

Maybe why Derrick Ward isn't collecting a paycheck from the NFL these days. If their are guys in that locker room who don't believe in Schaub that's on Schaub & says more about his leadership than his play on the field which I am not debating at this time.

He looks good to me... Better than he did before the injury. We weren't undefeated then, I don't expect us to be now. He threw interceptions then I don't over react when I see them now. He had stinker games, I expect a couple of stinkers in the future. So far, Eli & Ben have had more stinkers than Schaub.

He's not as big as Ben, not as tough as Eli, or Flacco for that matter. But in this offense he's as good as any of them in theirs & therefore can win a SuperBowl if everybody does their job like JPp & Strahan & Hicks & Cruz helped Eli. Or Bettis, Ward, Harrison, & Palamalu helped Ben.
JJWatt, Brian Cushing, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson and company are the problem?

No I believe its more on Schaub, then Kubiak before anyone else.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #95
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The deep route is usually the "riskiest" in Schaubspeak, "we take what the defense gives us, they take away Andre..." When it gets real, he'll challenge two deep coverage, but when Kubiak will call plays that will open Andre against those coverages... why?

He trusts that Kubiak will call those plays at the appropriate time. He usually does.
I have never understood the coach and Schaub mentality of the deep pass being more dangerous. Schaub's pick six's have been less than 10 yards down field. Throw it deep and you open up those short routes. I would rather throw an INT 40 yards downfield and keep the safety back than throw dink and dunk all game to then have the route jumped. At least with the deep pick it is like a punt (maybe not a Lechler punt)
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
JJWatt, Brian Cushing, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson and company are the problem?

No I believe its more on Schaub, then Kubiak before anyone else.
Before our play off run, we said we needed the run game to show up & the defense to show up. They made plays, the same way Schaub threw completions, but they didn't show up the way we needed them to show up.

It's not on Schaub/Kubiak anymore than it's on anyone else on the team. As elite as Flacco played the Ravens would have finished in second place if Ray Lewis & his defense didn't make that goal line stand with less than 2 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. and Flacco being able to "lead" the Ravens to a Championship would still be theoretical. They would have exited the divisional round if Jacoby didn't step it up & make the play he made to extend the game.

As romantic as the notion of the Championship winning QB is... Teams win Championships.
Old 09-29-2013   #97
ljhog
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why not?

So what's up?
Peyton Manning / Matt Schuab. See the difference now. And BTW Andre Johnson is injury prone past his prime.
ljhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #98
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhog View Post
And BTW Andre Johnson is injury prone past his prime.
On pace for 1500 yds coming off a 1600 yd season - not past his prime.
Old 09-29-2013   #99
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
On pace for 1500 yds coming off a 1600 yd season - not past his prime.
I agree. He's a bit of a different player but certainly not past his prime. Hell, I'd hate to see this offense without him for any long stretch.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #100
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before our play off run, we said we needed the run game to show up & the defense to show up. They made plays, the same way Schaub threw completions, but they didn't show up the way we needed them to show up.

It's not on Schaub/Kubiak anymore than it's on anyone else on the team. As elite as Flacco played the Ravens would have finished in second place if Ray Lewis & his defense didn't make that goal line stand with less than 2 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. and Flacco being able to "lead" the Ravens to a Championship would still be theoretical. They would have exited the divisional round if Jacoby didn't step it up & make the play he made to extend the game.

As romantic as the notion of the Championship winning QB is... Teams win Championships.
Teams win championships but QB's that throw pick 6's like they're going out of style loses games and keeps teams from getting to the championship game. QB is about the only position you can't have subpar play at and win consistently with out the rest of the team playing lights out.

Just look at the azz whipping Denver is putting on Phillie.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read