Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-26-2013   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Freeman OUT Glennon IN

I have a hard time buying teams tanking in any case. In the NFL your resume is on film...they way you get paid is film. Once you destroy your ability to get a good contract and the team replaces you with someone who looks good on film, who did that really help anyway? I don't think players tank like fans think they do.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
...I don't think players tank like fans think they do.
I don't think players tank, I think organizations tank. Cleveland as an example. Rumors were they were shopping Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, and Joe Thomas. Throw in Joe Haden and that's the bulk of that team's quality.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #23
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I bet Lombardi et al in Browns front office were screaming that Hoyer was supposed to lose games and improve their draft slot, not win.

Which brings up a point -- does the NFL have any kind of duty to be competitive clause for teams?

I was wondering while watching ESPN baseball analysts arguing about who's the better team and one said Team A's record was inflated because they played the Astros x-many more times than Team B did.

Next NFL draft class is supposed to have quality QBs, and I think you can see teams trying to tank for that. Seems awfully early to be throwing away 2013 season, and those fans are getting ripped off.
I always got the impression that Elway started Tebow to tank games, he just Springtime for Hitler'd his way into the playoffs.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I have a hard time buying teams tanking in any case. In the NFL your resume is on film...they way you get paid is film. Once you destroy your ability to get a good contract and the team replaces you with someone who looks good on film, who did that really help anyway? I don't think players tank like fans think they do.
Hence, Caldwell is out Pagano is in.

Not bad for a QB coach.
Old 09-26-2013   #25
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Thanks AT, I wasn't aware of this board.

Bucs just announced that they have lifted all blackouts this season. I guess the Glaziers have decided to do what the Dolphins and Jags have been doing with buying out remaining tickets.

That means the Texans game won't be on locally so I have to head over to my brother in law's place.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #26
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Thanks AT, I wasn't aware of this board.

Bucs just announced that they have lifted all blackouts this season. I guess the Glaziers have decided to do what the Dolphins and Jags have been doing with buying out remaining tickets.

That means the Texans game won't be on locally so I have to head over to my brother in law's place.
Not a problem. Just rumored stuff anyway, but would make Freeman's career failure make more sense.
Old 09-29-2013   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The decision to remove Freeman as the starter came as a surprise to some, in part because the Bucs twice lost games this season in which Freeman left the field for the last time with the Bucs holding a lead he’d helped produce.

That might not become a big part of Freeman’s legacy as a Buccaneer, but losing games late in the second half that Freeman put his team in position to win happened rather often during Freeman’s tenure.

Freeman was 24-35 as the starting quarterback, but 11 of those losses came in games in which the Bucs lost leads late in the fourth quarter, all but one in the final two minutes.
http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/no-turnin...urse-20130928/
Old 09-29-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
Freeman was 24-35 as the starting quarterback, but 11 of those losses came in games in which the Bucs lost leads late in the fourth quarter, all but one in the final two minutes.
http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/no-turnin...urse-20130928/
Makes perfect sense to me. Can't bench your whole defense, or fire your defensive coordinator... got's to make an example of the starting QB...

Actually, this kind of thinking is a lot like my point about the defense. It doesn't matter that Freeman played well in the first three qtrs, if they need him to score in the 4th... they need him to score in the 4th.

Much like an NFL season. It doesn't matter what you do in September, or the first qtr. Every game, every possession has a lot more meaning (a whole lot more meaning) in December/the 4th qtr.

Of course, "it doesn't matter" is hypebole, of course it matters. Just not nearly as much as what happens as time is expiring. Nobody gives a sht who won the first game of the season. Everybody remembers who won the last.

This might have been an opportunity for Freeman to prove he was the guy who can lead this team to greatness. Saying, "Fck it, get me out of Tampa!!" was probably not the response they were hoping for.
Old 09-30-2013   #29
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Can't bench your whole defense, or fire your defensive coordinator... got's to make an example of the starting QB...

Actually, this kind of thinking is a lot like my point about the defense. It doesn't matter that Freeman played well in the first three qtrs, if they need him to score in the 4th... they need him to score in the 4th.
Defense is the only thing the Bucs have going for them this season. They pounded the Saints and held them to 13 points most of the game.

Agreeing with your last point, when Freeman had a chance to put that game away by getting one last first down it didn't happen. The Bucs instead tried a FG to go up 17-13 but the guy missed. So the Saints get the ball, march down the field and win 16-14 on a last second FG.

IMO, if you can only give your defense 14 points to work with, they are going to lose against Brees almost every time.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport obtained a statement from Freeman in response to an ESPN.com report that the quarterback is in Stage One of the NFL's substance-abuse program. The statement reads as follows:

Quote:
"Let me be very clear. I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances. Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half.

Since the confidentiality of my medical status has been publicly violated, I am choosing to address this matter so that grossly erroneous assumptions about me do not persist. Like millions of Americans, I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career. Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ridilin rather than Adderall) , and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the "NFL Program". Since that time, I have taken and passed all 46 drug tests I've been given, which test for every drug and banned substance imaginable. I agreed to allow such testing to be done at my workplace (team facility) because I spend all of my time there and I have nothing whatsoever to hide or be embarrassed about.

Unfortunately, it appears that some people who may have noticed the testing at my workplace have made hurtful and incorrect assumptions and chosen to disseminate inaccurate and very disturbing information. It is a shame that when times have gotten tough, people have chosen to attack the character of others, rather than supporting each other. I remain dedicated and focused to being the best quarterback I can be and to help a team win a championship."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-46-drug-tests
Old 10-03-2013   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

MMQB: One Big Mess

We know that the situation in Tampa is ugly, and getting uglier. In examining how we got to this point and what's next, one other thing is clear: The Bucs have painted themselves into a corner as their season circles the drain
Quote:
In speaking with agents of several Bucs players recently, I have sensed a common theme: There is an atmosphere of fear and distrust under the current regime in Tampa. Players have told their agents about coaches roaming through the locker room (typically the players’ sanctuary away from coaches) and staff videotaping players on the sidelines during losses to single out players laughing or horsing around. The players also speak to the influx of multiple Rutgers players from Schiano’s past and the use of the phrase “Schiano Men,” a term that clearly does not apply to Freeman.

Freeman may be the next player shipped out by Schiano, joining a list that includes Aqib Talib, Dezmon Briscoe, LeGarrette Blount and Kellen Winslow, Jr., as well as this week’s casualties Ahmad Black and Kevin Ogletree. There appears to be a pattern of players, despite their talents, ending up on the wrong side of the coaching staff, with directives from Schiano to general manager Mark Dominik to remove them from the roster.

To be fair, Freeman has not been blameless here. Missing the team photo—for whatever reason—is inexcusable and fanned the flames of a dysfunctional relationship between him and his head coach. Which leads me to …

The Schiano-Freeman saga seems to reach new lows every day, with the latest salvos including a report by FOX Sports that Freeman was told to stay away from a team meeting, this following a report from ESPN that Freeman is in Stage One of the NFL’s drug-testing program due to a mixup with his league-approved prescription for Adderall. One can only wonder what invectives today or tomorrow will bring...
read more: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/02/josh-f...iano-business/
Old 10-03-2013   #32
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42997 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Freeman is released. I suspect this is a rare case where the player is actually happy to be unemployed. I give Schiano 8 more games before he's canned. Tyrants that don't treat their players like men don't last in the NFL.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #33
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Freeman is released. I suspect this is a rare case where the player is actually happy to be unemployed. I give Schiano 8 more games before he's canned. Tyrants that don't treat their players like men don't last in the NFL.
Especially when they are 7-13.
Old 10-03-2013   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus, I believe the Bucs owe him the remaining $ on his contract. Schiano will be headin back to the NCAA next season
Old 10-03-2013   #35
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42997 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Especially when they are 7-13.
You can build a team while losing and keep the team, but he is doing everything to turn players against him, and earning tons of disrespect around the league with his "play to the final whistle" routine.

You treat others as you would want yourself treated, and what he is doing is ensuring they hate his guts.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Plus, I believe the Bucs owe him the remaining $ on his contract. Schiano will be headin back to the NCAA next season
Unless someone picks him up on waivers right? That team will have to pay out the remaining contract right?
Old 10-03-2013   #37
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless someone picks him up on waivers right? That team will have to pay out the remaining contract right?
Yep, from USA Today :

Quote:
General manager Mark Dominik contacted every other team in the NFL in an unsuccessful attempt to trade Freeman, a 4,000-yard passer a year ago and the team's career leader with 1,144 completions and 80 touchdowns. He is now eligible to be claimed off the waiver wire, though in that scenario another team would have to pick up the balance of Freeman's salary.
But, the article also says
Quote:
the fifth-year quarterback.
I thought after 4 years in the league if he clears waivers he should be an URFA shouldn't he be?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Freeman is a vested veteran. No waivers, unrestricted free agent.
Old 10-04-2013   #39
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

God as much as I rag on Kubiak at times, he is leap years ahead of Schiano in every conceivable way, both as a HC and a human being. Schiano is a complete horses ass. I'm so glad I am not a Buc's fan.

As to Freeman, I've never been a big fan of his game. He has some real talent, but hasn't been consistent at all, and it's never really come together. Someone will give him a chance. I don't see the Texans taking that risk. Could be wrong but it's a real long shot imo. Who would you cut to give Freeman a shot?
Old 10-04-2013   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

In 60 career games, Freeman has thrown for 13,534 yards, 80 touchdowns and 66 interceptions. He is the franchise's leader in career TD passes & completions, and second all time in passing yards.(!)

Freeman is 25 years old.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read