Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2013   #161
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok everyone just calm down....

Where would the offense have been in the last three games..............if we didn't have Lechler?.............we might want to think about that.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #162
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Where would the offense have been in the last three games..............if we didn't have Lechler?.............we might want to think about that.
great, we've turned into the Raiders....with less speed.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #163
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Speaking of this, I dont know how to make a poll, maybe somebody can make one,

How many more yrs will Gary be the HC before BoB realizes that he cant win a SB with Rick/Gary? If BoB really even cares about winning a SB?

Gary will have been the Texans HC

8 yrs
10 yrs
15 yrs
20 yrs

Gary gets to be HC for the rest of BoB's life

"cant win" a Superbowl is bogus. There are 32 organizations, and hundreds of variables that contribute to the Superbowl champ each year. Since Marty Schottenheimer didn't win a superbowl, does that mean he wasn't a good enough coach to do so? I guess that means Brian Billick and Barry Switzer were better coaches than Schottenheimer, Marv Levy, Parcells (without Bellicheck), Bud Grant, etc...
Old 09-26-2013   #164
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The fact is, some of us (and that includes me) will never calm down until we see a Houston NFL team bring home a Super Bowl trophy.
Yes, but what does the history of the Oilers have to do with the current organization? Frustration is understandable- but why should it color your analysis of what is currently taking place?
Old 09-26-2013   #165
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yes, but what does the history of the Oilers have to do with the current organization? Frustration is understandable- but why should it color your analysis of what is currently taking place?
Because this team has adopted the same mentality and way of winning/losing as the houston oilers.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #166
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it's the Oilers or the Texans or some future NFL team called the Houston Bull$hitters, I want a super bowl trophy and won't stop bitching about it until I get it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #167
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
Because this team has adopted the same mentality and way of winning/losing as the houston oilers.
Bud Adams and the Oilers were much more aggressive and did make big pushes for winning it all. Bud won two AFL Championships with Charley Hennigan and George Blanda, won a bidding war with the NFL for Heisman winner Billy Cannon before the dark years of the early 70's...but after that Bud always made big moves to make legit runs at the SB. Sometimes it feels like we just want to be "good" around here. After the "dark years" and hiring Sid Gillman (that was a HUGE deal back in the day), the huge trade for Earl Campbell, historic contract for Warren Moon, going after Buddy Ryan, trading for Wilbur Marshall...I could go on and on. The Oilers just felt more aggressive.

Old 09-26-2013   #168
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Having said that, I personally think play calling had more to do with this loss than anything else. The first drive was what we all recognize as our team. But once we got in the RZ everything changed and they never took a shot at the end zone even though we all know we had the advantage with our TE's over their LB's.
While play calling was an issue (that 4th & 2 play was asinine, even if it worked I'd question their choice).

I watched the second half yesterday. Lots of Hopkins, Martin, Posey combinations which is one of the reasons I'm optimistic about our future. There were a couple of dropped balls & penalties that erased good plays.

That's just a tough place to play & we didn't handle it well. Had Andre played, our chances of pulling out that W would have been better.
Old 09-26-2013   #169
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Yes they are but here is the difference between the Niners, Packers and Falcons even at 1-2 that the Texans at 2-1, those teams have head coaches who will find a way to win. The will get creative with play calling and do things differently than that which is not working.

Maybe it's just me, but my side is hurt'n after reading this.

Their coaches didn't find a way to win in two of three games, but you're sure they will "get creative" & "find a way to win"

Kubiak came from behind to get two out of three victories, but he's too stubborn to change.

I think I know what you're saying... but it's just funny the way you put it.
Old 09-26-2013   #170
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I am sorry the Texans have been among the 6 or 8 best teams the past few seasons but not among the top 3 or 4... I'm not sure what can be done about that. Let the season play out. The Texans did win 25 games the past two seasons despite some difficult circumstances. I'm not sure why a 2-1 start on the heels of those seasons should create panic.
Uh..... we were the 4th best team in the league last year. We lost 3 games there at the end, the other 28 teams lost their games early. But we were the 4th best team in the league.

We might not have been in a conference championship game last year, but.. I don't think the best team in the league won the Super Bowl. We underachieved, Denver under achieved.

I think either San Francisco or Denver was the best team of 2012.... both underachieved.

Not to take anything away from the Ravens. They earned their title, because they beat the two best teams in the league. Miami beat Atlanta Sunday, but they are not the better team.
Old 09-26-2013   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
9ers were awful for a long time just like we were and Harbaugh drafted his current QB because Alex Smith was mediocre. Harbaugh invested heavily in offensive linemen as well. Would our current Head Coach have replaced Alex Smith in the same scenario? I doubt it.
I think the 49ers are a good comparison to the Texans at that time. Not a perfect comparison, but a very good one. The difference between the two teams though, is that Mike Nolan did a better job..... a much better job than Capers.

Or whoever was getting the players & establishing a winning culture (Singletary) did a better job than Capers & Casserly.

But yes, Harbaugh did much better than Kubiak. In 2011 Harbaugh had a team good enough to get to the NFC Championship game. In 2011, we thought we had a team good enough to be in the AFC Championship game.

Harbaugh followed up with a Super Bowl appearance, we got our butts kicked in the divisionals.
Old 09-26-2013   #172
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I don't understand it.

In 2006 we (most of us on the board at that time) said we'd be happy if we were a perennial play-off team with a real shot to win it all every now & again.

That's what we got.

I'm very happy, damitt if my expectations are low...... I think they're reasonable.

Every Sunday, whether I'm watching on the tube or sitting in Reliant I expect to see a good product on the field. The Texans have rarely let me down in the last two years. Heck, even in 2010 we lost a lot of games, but those were some entertaining mofos. I enjoyed every minute of them (felt like crap after most) but loved every minute of every game.

I'm looking forward to watching the SeaChickens get fricaseed come Sunday.
Old 09-26-2013   #173
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Uh..... we were the 4th best team in the league last year. We lost 3 games there at the end, the other 28 teams lost their games early. But we were the 4th best team in the league.

We might not have been in a conference championship game last year, but.. I don't think the best team in the league won the Super Bowl. We underachieved, Denver under achieved.

I think either San Francisco or Denver was the best team of 2012.... both underachieved.

Not to take anything away from the Ravens. They earned their title, because they beat the two best teams in the league. Miami beat Atlanta Sunday, but they are not the better team.
And this says it all, the Ravens got hot when it counted and won the title. Remember, the Texans beat the Ravens at Reliant pretty bad early last year and the Ravens barely made the playoffs. I don't think anyone thought they had much chance to get to the SB, much less win it. But they did!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #174
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
And this says it all, the Ravens got hot when it counted and won the title. Remember, the Texans beat the Ravens at Reliant pretty bad early last year and the Ravens barely made the playoffs. I don't think anyone thought they had much chance to get to the SB, much less win it. But they did!
Just like us, if the Ravens lost one more game, they would have not won their division, but still been a wild card. They would have had to lose 2 more games at least. Had they lost 3 they probably still beat Pittsburgh as a wild card.
Old 09-26-2013   #175
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
Just because you are dissatisfied in both cases does not equate to both organizations adopting the same mentality. It is simply not true. For instance, Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips as the Oilers were on the cusp of a Championship, out of dissatisfaction. Bob McNair has a very different philosophy and believes in patience and trusting in his people to develop and build unity, consistency, etc... Like it or not, the two organizations have little in common.
Old 09-26-2013   #176
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand it.

In 2006 we (most of us on the board at that time) said we'd be happy if we were a perennial play-off team with a real shot to win it all every now & again.

That's what we got.

I'm very happy, damitt if my expectations are low...... I think they're reasonable.
And I was probably one of those that said that, because back then that would have been very reasonable. But now that I've seen them in the playoffs and am thinking they are probably blowing their window at a super bowl, I'm not being reasonable anymore.

Playoff teams are nice, I've been through three of them now if you count the Gamblers. It's a been there done that situation. Only a super bowl trophy does me any good.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #177
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It doesn't matter if it's the Oilers or the Texans or some future NFL team called the Houston Bull$hitters, I want a super bowl trophy and won't stop bitching about it until I get it.
"*****" away, but don't hold people accountable beyond what they have been responsible for. Blaming Kubiak for 50 years of frustration is ludicrous. Your misery, by the way, highlights the absurdity of fandom reducing the value of their experience down to the outcome of one game in February. That is a philosophical system destined for suffering. Not sure why people choose to approach the "fun" things in life that way.
Old 09-26-2013   #178
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I don't understand it.

That's what we got.

If one is starving, one may eat bugs to survive. When you are stable and no longer starving, gourmet bugs are probably not nearly as satisfying.

Old 09-26-2013   #179
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If one is starving, one may eat bugs to survive. When you are stable and no longer starving, gourmet bugs are probably not nearly as satisfying.
:notworthy:
Old 09-26-2013   #180
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!

What the f--k happened to the Texans fans I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest game of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. 'Ooh, we're afraid to go with you, we might get beaten.' Well, just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wilson, he's a dead man! Sherman dead! Lynch dead!
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read