Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2013   #141
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok everyone just calm down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Whoever decided it would be a good idea to extend Matt's contract should be fired. But that would be called being held accountable, and BoB never holds anybody on the football side of his org accountable.
Uncle Bob himself co-signed keeping Schaub. Can't fire him.

Quote:
Q: You gave Matt Schaub a five-year, $66-million extension. Do you have any regrets?
A: Not at all. There are a lot of clubs that would love to have him. He had a good year. He’s got to step up his game when we get on the big stage. There’s no room for mental errors. He knows that. We have confidence in him.

Q: Do you think Schaub is getting too much of the criticism for your collapse at the end of the season and the loss at New England, where you trailed 38-13?
A: It goes with the territory. It’s not just Matt. But he’s the leader of the offense and the team, and everybody focuses on what he’s doing. He didn’t drop a pass in the end zone or miss a block on a running play or give up a touchdown pass. But we can’t get where we want to go unless Matt and the offense and defense and special teams step up their game.

Q: What has convinced you that Schaub is the quarterback to help you reach your goal of winning a Super Bowl?
A: Nobody wins it by himself. I think his ability and the job he does are more than adequate. We have to surround him with tools. His arm’s strong enough. He can make the throws. He’s not the kind of quarterback to take a mediocre team on his shoulders and carry them all the way. We give him good receivers and good pass protection. The thing we really need to do that we didn’t do as well last season is to get our running game going better. So much of what we do is based on our running game.
Be mad at the right guy. And that's Bob McNair.

Now having said that, I think Schaub is on a shorter leash than everyone thinks. Those pick-six's Schaub has thrown in just three games have definitely not gone un-noticed by the man who signs his checks.

Uncle Bob stepped in and hired Wade. He stepped in and had them pursue Lechter and very likely Ed Reed. So let Schaub keep making "mental errors" and cause us to miss the playoffs; my money says Schaub'll hit the road with kindly ole Uncle Bob's foot up his butt.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #142
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've watched the first half & physically, he looks good. For the minute before the end of the half, he looked excellent both physically & in his play.

However, there was one sack he took, we ended up being 3rd & 17 & we ran the draw. I'm surprised that he didn't chunk it then, because that was the situation he threw it against Tennessee & San Diego.... so I was thinking maybe that one got to him, that sack.

As far as reading the defense, I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. The one tip ball that was intercepted, I don't think that's a poor job of reading defenses. He's had balls batted down often. The pick 6 vs Tennessee, that's him & a new receiver not jiving. He's throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break. The one against Baltimore... normally he would put that ball on the receivers back hip. Had he done that here it would have been an incompletion at worst.

However, we're looking at a very small sample size. I think he's been better than he's been awful & his numbers will balance to his norms by the end of the season.

I'm not seeing any ill effect from the Lisfranc & his loosing weight seems to have helped him quite a bit.

Check out his 2009-2010 tape, compare it to 2012-2013 and get back to me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #143
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Uncle Bob himself co-signed keeping Schaub. Can't fire him.

Be mad at the right guy. And that's Bob McNair.

Now having said that, I think Schaub is on a shorter leash than everyone thinks. Those pick-six's Schaub has thrown in just three games have definitely not gone un-noticed by the man who signs his checks.

Uncle Bob stepped in and hired Wade. He stepped in and had them pursue Lechter and very likely Ed Reed. So let Schaub keep making "mental errors" and cause us to miss the playoffs; my money says Schaub'll hit the road with kindly ole Uncle Bob's foot up his butt.
I'm plenty mad at McNair, his #1 goal certainly is not winning a SB. If it was Coach Joe would've been fired yrs ago. Instead he tries to fix the ST's problem by throwing $$$$ at Lechler and drafting Fat Randy. Guess what, the ST's still stink.

BoB has never put his foot up anybody's butt in the on the field side of his business operation since he's owned the tem and I dont expect that to change anytime soon. Now the marketing side is another story. They fear for their jobs.

Bottom line is the Texans org has taken on the personality of its owner. (Good ole boy, nothing too traumatic) No wonder mediocrity is not only accepted but seem to be championed when it comes to the on the field product, oterwise changes would've been made long ago. (Coach Joe Must Go)
Old 09-25-2013   #144
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm plenty mad at McNair, his #1 goal certainly is not winning a SB. If it was Coach Joe would've been fired yrs ago. Instead he tries to fix the ST's problem by throwing $$$$ at Lechler and drafting Fat Randy. Guess what, the ST's still stink.

BoB has never put his foot up anybody's butt in the on the field side of his business operation since he's owned the tem and I dont expect that to change anytime soon. Now the marketing side is another story. They fear for their jobs.
Even you have to admit Lechler was a pretty good get. Why Coach Joe is still here only McNair knows that.

As Bob has grown as an owner we've seen him step in time and again. Acquiring Wade, Lechler, Reed.
Letting his hand-picked QB, David hit the streets. Easing Jacoby Jones out of town without a lot of fuss from the Texans. Letting D-Rob go when he got too big for his britches. Some of you are thinking, "Well, Rick Smith made those moves..."
Maybe.
I'm of the opinion (and I have little to go on but reading between the lines), that nothing of significance happens over there on Kirby Drive without McNair's sign off.
The Buck stops with him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #145
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Even you have to admit Lechler was a pretty good get. Why Coach Joe is still here only McNair knows that.

As Bob has grown as an owner we've seen him step in time and again. Acquiring Wade, Lechler, Reed.
Letting his hand-picked QB, David hit the streets. Easing Jacoby Jones out of town without a lot of fuss from the Texans. Letting D-Rob go when he got too big for his britches. Some of you are thinking, "Well, Rick Smith made those moves..."
Maybe.
I'm of the opinion (and I have little to go on but reading between the lines), that nothing of significance happens over there on Kirby Drive without McNair's sign off.
The Buck stops with him.
Loved the Lechler signing, why legit competition wasn't brought in to compete with Fat Randy reeks of the good ole boy system that's at the root of the problem. If BoB is signing off on this than this makes me question BoB's commitment to putting the best product on the field as possible.
Old 09-25-2013   #146
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
The Buck stops with him.
So you're blaming McNair for the Ed Reed debacle.

Old 09-26-2013   #147
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Calm down? Did you say calm down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

Old 09-26-2013   #148
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Some things never change on this board with some fans. When the Texans win it is everyone else but Schaub and Kubiak who were responsible for the win, and when they lose, it's only their fault.

Having said that, I personally think play calling had more to do with this loss than anything else. The first drive was what we all recognize as our team. But once we got in the RZ everything changed and they never took a shot at the end zone even though we all know we had the advantage with our TE's over their LB's.

In the end there is plenty of blame to go around, and you win together as well as lose together. Over reacting to one loss 3 weeks into the season is typical of some in this fan base, but I for one would rather see them start slow and finish strong for once.

The sky is NOT falling, and Schaub and Kubiak are not the worst in the league. And whoever said they would rather have T. Pryor over Schaub needs to step away from the cliff.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #149
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
The 49ers, Packers, and Falcons are 1-2.
Yes they are but here is the difference between the Niners, Packers and Falcons even at 1-2 that the Texans at 2-1, those teams have head coaches who will find a way to win. The will get creative with play calling and do things differently than that which is not working.

Kubiak WILL NOT do this! If he is down 17, he still runs the ball. He is down 24, still runs the ball. Why, A: Stubborn and B: he does not believe in his QB, as much as he think he does, and yet Schaub was HIS guy.

those other teams will start winning. When the Texans have their annual 3 game losing streak this year, see if anything changes to snap that streak...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #150
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Yes they are but here is the difference between the Niners, Packers and Falcons even at 1-2 that the Texans at 2-1, those teams have head coaches who will find a way to win. The will get creative with play calling and do things differently than that which is not working.

Kubiak WILL NOT do this! If he is down 17, he still runs the ball. He is down 24, still runs the ball. Why, A: Stubborn and B: he does not believe in his QB, as much as he think he does, and yet Schaub was HIS guy.

those other teams will start winning. When the Texans have their annual 3 game losing streak this year, see if anything changes to snap that streak...
Consider the disaster Kubiak took over in 2006... You do realize his record is well 50%, right?

Regarding his stubbornness running the ball down 17 or 24, I suggest you re-watch any of the games this year and you will see that is simply not the case. In each game, they became very pass-happy once they trailed by multiple scores. You are making things up.

I am sorry the Texans have been among the 6 or 8 best teams the past few seasons but not among the top 3 or 4... I'm not sure what can be done about that. Let the season play out. The Texans did win 25 games the past two seasons despite some difficult circumstances. I'm not sure why a 2-1 start on the heels of those seasons should create panic.
Old 09-26-2013   #151
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

VS. San Diego, Here is the pass to run breakdown once the Texans were trailing 21-7 until they tied the game at 28:

Pass plays = 25
Run plays = 6
Fake punt= 1
Old 09-26-2013   #152
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Consider the disaster Kubiak took over in 2006... You do realize his record is well 50%, right?

Regarding his stubbornness running the ball down 17 or 24, I suggest you re-watch any of the games this year and you will see that is simply not the case. In each game, they became very pass-happy once they trailed by multiple scores. You are making things up.

I am sorry the Texans have been among the 6 or 8 best teams the past few seasons but not among the top 3 or 4... I'm not sure what can be done about that. Let the season play out. The Texans did win 25 games the past two seasons despite some difficult circumstances. I'm not sure why a 2-1 start on the heels of those seasons should create panic.
He did go complete Conserviak in the first half of the Ravens game, on two 3rd and longs I know he ran the famous draw. Basically giving up and punting to the defense when we could have been more aggressive which came back and bit us when we only had 6 points.

I'm not sure why he's not doing the more up tempo, spread the offense that the rest of the league is moving to. It's almost impossible to get a hit on a receiver and not get flagged, so might as well pitch and catch and run once they move out the box.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #153
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Harbaugh's 9ers were a disaster along with us (remember the Reggie Bush bowl?) but they were in the SB last year right? 50% ain't bad if you like mediocre.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #154
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
He did go complete Conserviak in the first half of the Ravens game, on two 3rd and longs I know he ran the famous draw. Basically giving up and punting to the defense when we could have been more aggressive which came back and bit us when we only had 6 points.

I'm not sure why he's not doing the more up tempo, spread the offense that the rest of the league is moving to. It's almost impossible to get a hit on a receiver and not get flagged, so might as well pitch and catch and run once they move out the box.
Yes, that was the game plan for Baltimore, in Baltimore, without Duane Brown. Ill advised? I'm not sure... The special team gaffe and the interception destroyed the plan... I know he sometimes has conservative game plans. I wouldn't argue with that. BullNation specifically argued that he does not adjust when the team is trailing by passing the ball more- blaming Kubiak's stubbornness and lack of trust in Schaub. Clearly, that is simply untrue.
Old 09-26-2013   #155
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact is, some of us (and that includes me) will never calm down until we see a Houston NFL team bring home a Super Bowl trophy.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #156
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It just sounds like your standards are lower than some other peoples. There's nothing wrong with that, but if people want to ***** at the team because they expect more than you do, they have every right to do so.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #157
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Harbaugh's 9ers were a disaster along with us (remember the Reggie Bush bowl?) but they were in the SB last year right? 50% ain't bad if you like mediocre.
Harbaugh is a great coach. No doubt. In 2010, when it looked like Kubiak would be fired, I was on this board saying that I wanted Harbaugh... TexansChick actually gave me a hard time about it, because she wanted nothing to do with a college coach.

That being said, we all know that the 49ers had a much better talent base and cap situation when Harbaugh arrived than Kubiak had when he arrived. What I see now is not mediocrity from the Texan organization. I think they are set up to have an extended run of success...

Do I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Kubiak? Probably so. Certainly he was better faster. But, that's a moot point. Harbaugh is not available.
Old 09-26-2013   #158
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Speaking of this, I dont know how to make a poll, maybe somebody can make one,

How many more yrs will Gary be the HC before BoB realizes that he cant win a SB with Rick/Gary? If BoB really even cares about winning a SB?

Gary will have been the Texans HC

8 yrs
10 yrs
15 yrs
20 yrs

Gary gets to be HC for the rest of BoB's life
Old 09-26-2013   #159
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Harbaugh is a great coach. No doubt. In 2010, when it looked like Kubiak would be fired, I was on this board saying that I wanted Harbaugh... TexansChick actually gave me a hard time about it, because she wanted nothing to do with a college coach.

That being said, we all know that the 49ers had a much better talent base and cap situation when Harbaugh arrived than Kubiak had when he arrived. What I see now is not mediocrity from the Texan organization. I think they are set up to have an extended run of success...

Do I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Kubiak? Probably so. Certainly he was better faster. But, that's a moot point. Harbaugh is not available.
9ers were awful for a long time just like we were and Harbaugh drafted his current QB because Alex Smith was mediocre. Harbaugh invested heavily in offensive linemen as well. Would our current Head Coach have replaced Alex Smith in the same scenario? I doubt it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #160
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It just sounds like your standards are lower than some other peoples. There's nothing wrong with that, but if people want to ***** at the team because they expect more than you do, they have every right to so so.
My standards aren't lower. My attitude is better. I want the team to be great and to win championships. Whining that there are a few coaches and organizations that are better means nothing. What is the solution? Complaining that Schaub is not Tom Brady accomplishes nothing. What can be done about that?

The same critics of Kubiak now are also the ones who mocked and heckled when I claimed I would much rather have Kubiak than Rex Ryan as head coach. Ryan had some quick success and everyone resented the Texans didn't... Not only resented it but blamed Kubiak. Where are those people now? Ryan will be available after the season. Speak now: who wants Sexy Rexy to replace Kubiak after this season. Go on record!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read