Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2013   #101
busterspencer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 busterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing "They aint gonna do it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
The offense went down three times and only scored field goals, then gave away 7 points. Not sure I can blame the loss on the defense. Sure all three levels could have been better, but the offense put us in a position we should never have been in. I agree with Cushing.
And did they go out and get a turnover and score....NO case rest
Old 09-24-2013   #102
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwest View Post
That was a gift we lost. This team has all the weapons minus GK,MS and Marciano to get us where we need to go. I garuantee you we would do better without the above mentioned.
Honest question..... has our ST been that bad this year? I don't recall a lot of penalties on ST since the regular season. I couldn't get over how many penalties the Ravens had on ST. That got me thinking.

Other than that TD (which wasn't good) I feel like our ST has been avg, which is an improvement isn't it? & the TD, wasn't a breakdown in coverage. The pictures & gif we've seen here show the players were there, they just didn't execute. If we were talking about scrub players I'd be upset, but we're talking about Dj, Braman, Sharpton, & Keo. Our ST aces.
Old 09-24-2013   #103
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Unless someone other than Matt suits up, we cant air it out ...
Not true.... Sunday was a bi-product of the Texans gameplan being super worried about Duane Brown being out of the game. They had little (if any) faith in Brandon Harris and BTW Derrick Newton hasn't been impressive on the right side.

To say that Matt can't "air it out", is short sided, at best.

BUT, if it fits your agenda, well..... so be it!
Old 09-25-2013   #104
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The only thing that matters is Wins & Losses.
This is true to a point, we look like a ****ty 2-1 team, and you are what you are, a bit lucky, and eventually lucky teams will have their luck run out.

- Matt looked great the first game, totally happy with that game, thought he had gotten over the hump.
- Matt looked horrible against TN, overthrowing the ball, badly off target, and the pic 6 was into double coverage on a separate page from his receiver.
- Baltimore.. Ugh he's so slow again, staring down his main receiver, and off target again, now people are going to point at oh look he's 75% completion ratio. How many swing passes did he complete, after going 5-5 on the first series he just didn't look good at all.

Now yes some of it is the offensive line, but he still has to find a way to make it work.

I can't see how you can blame the defense other than the SD game, but then again San Diego has been lighting everyone up.

On Defense we simply need a real OLB that's going to get the the QB, and JJ has to play better.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #105
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

I can't see how you can blame the defense other than the SD game, but then again San Diego has been lighting everyone up.
I don't understand why people keep saying I'm blaming the defense. I'm not blaming the defense, just pointing out that we've got problems on the defensive side of the ball as well.

Your post, you're saying people are going to point to Schaub's 75% completion rating & 7 TDs thrown saying, "Look, Schaub is having a great year." Knowing those stats don't tell the whole story.

Same thing here, we're saying, "The defense gave up 16 points in this game, that's good enough to win." But that's not what happened, they gave up 13 points in a half. That's not winning football. They gave up 21 points in the first half of the Chargers game. That's looking a lot like the defense that didn't show up against New England. (42 points). They gave up a 99 yard drive for a touchdown to Jake Locker.

The offense suked.... has suked all year, except in small spurts. That's a problem, a big problem. But there ain't a bigger paper tiger in Houston than the #2 defense that's ranked 26th in points allowed.
Old 09-25-2013   #106
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honest question..... has our ST been that bad this year? I don't recall a lot of penalties on ST since the regular season. I couldn't get over how many penalties the Ravens had on ST. That got me thinking.

Other than that TD (which wasn't good) I feel like our ST has been avg, which is an improvement isn't it? & the TD, wasn't a breakdown in coverage. The pictures & gif we've seen here show the players were there, they just didn't execute. If we were talking about scrub players I'd be upset, but we're talking about Dj, Braman, Sharpton, & Keo. Our ST aces.
when given the chance, yes they've been pretty bad. fortunately bulluck is putting most kickoffs deep and we have the best punter in football. everything else has been ugly.
Old 09-25-2013   #107
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand why people keep saying I'm blaming the defense. I'm not blaming the defense, just pointing out that we've got problems on the defensive side of the ball as well.

Your post, you're saying people are going to point to Schaub's 75% completion rating & 7 TDs thrown saying, "Look, Schaub is having a great year." Knowing those stats don't tell the whole story.

Same thing here, we're saying, "The defense gave up 16 points in this game, that's good enough to win." But that's not what happened, they gave up 13 points in a half. That's not winning football. They gave up 21 points in the first half of the Chargers game. That's looking a lot like the defense that didn't show up against New England. (42 points). They gave up a 99 yard drive for a touchdown to Jake Locker.

The offense suked.... has suked all year, except in small spurts. That's a problem, a big problem. But there ain't a bigger paper tiger in Houston than the #2 defense that's ranked 26th in points allowed.
Your skewing the stats. The team is ranked 26th in points given up. Not just the defense. 3 touchdowns were direct results of the offense and special teams. where does that rank the defense now? Top 10 that's where
Old 09-25-2013   #108
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It sounds like you're out of touch with reality. The reason so many people disagree is because it's that bad of a take. It's hard to even argue it at this point because it's like you're in a different reality. You've even gotten to where you are misrepresenting stats. Obvious stats.

You keep trying to put the defenses performance on par with the offenses from this past game and it's such a weird take that I'd accuse you of trolling if I didn't know better.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #109
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

When Your Offense scores TD's 77.8% of the time in the Red Zone (8th in the NFL)

But your Defense gives up TD's 87.5% of the time in the Red Zone (32nd in the NFL),

Cushing shouldn't be "calling out" anyone.....
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #110
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Your skewing the stats. The team is ranked 26th in points given up. Not just the defense. 3 touchdowns were direct results of the offense and special teams. where does that rank the defense now? Top 10 that's where
According to NFL rules, there is a change in possession. That is very important because it helps answer this question. A blocked kick is a kicked blocked by the defense, not special teams. A kick that crosses the line of scrimmage and is then returned for a touchdown is a special teams TD.
Old 09-25-2013   #111
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13608 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
When Your Offense scores TD's 77.8% of the time in the Red Zone (8th in the NFL)

But your Defense gives up TD's 87.5% of the time in the Red Zone (32nd in the NFL),

Our Third down conversions on offense = 15/42.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #112
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
Our Third down conversions on offense = 15/42.
36%- tied with SF for 19th in the league.

So right now it looks like Field position is a big help to Texans offense.
Old 09-25-2013   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
It doesn't matter. This is a team game. putting one against the other doesn't do anyone any good.
They both sucked.
Old 09-25-2013   #114
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In my opinion, he can. Since the first half of the San Diego game, the defense has been playing well. By all rights, Houston should have been up at least 9-3 at halftime. Through no fault of the defense, they were down 17-9. Perhaps they started taking too many chances in the second half, perhaps they were tired, I don't know. The bottom line is this: the defense has essentially given up 21, 14, and 16 points in their three games, an average of 17 points a game, while giving up the second fewest yards in the league. I'll take that performance every single time. They need to create more turnovers- that's true. However, they have definitely done their part. The offense needs to step up. I hope they do.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #115
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
The bottom line is this: the defense has essentially given up 21, 14, and 16 points in their three games, an average of 17 points a game, while giving up the second fewest yards in the league. I'll take that performance every single time. They need to create more turnovers- that's true. However, they have definitely done their part. The offense needs to step up. I hope they do.
A big part of that is going to be the running game coming alive. Ben Tate has done an excellent job in limited carries. We need Arian Foster to start running like we expect him to. Breaking off some bigger runs consistently. We need one of those 20 carries, 130 rushing yards and 2 TD games out of him just to jump start his 2013 season.

Even though the Seahawks have an active defense, this may be the first game this season that he breaks the 100-yard rushing mark. Or even the 80-yard rushing mark for that matter. He's been that bad so far this season, averaging 3.9 yards per carry which is not good enough for one of the best running backs in the league. A few big runs is all he needs to dominate again.
Old 09-25-2013   #116
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans D is currently 2nd BEHIND THE SEAHAWKS in yards allowed.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...qualified=true

Texans O is currently 7th in yards gained.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

The problems are Marciano & Pick-6's.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #117
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I think if Schaub comes out next week and throws another horrible INT (not just any int, because they do happen.. I'm talking about one that illustrates horrible decision making like last week) Kubiak needs to park his ass on the bench. I'm not calling for him to permanently lose his job yet (although I'm almost there), but a message needs to be at least sent to him that his starting job is not just a foregone conclusion, he's not just entitled to that position, and there will be consequences for his ****ty play and bonehead decisions.

... but I don't expect Kubiak to ever do this, I don't think he has the stones.
Agree with your entire post but the bolded especially.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #118
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
In my opinion, he can. Since the first half of the San Diego game, the defense has been playing well. By all rights, Houston should have been up at least 9-3 at halftime. Through no fault of the defense, they were down 17-9. Perhaps they started taking too many chances in the second half, perhaps they were tired, I don't know. The bottom line is this: the defense has essentially given up 21, 14, and 16 points in their three games, an average of 17 points a game, while giving up the second fewest yards in the league. I'll take that performance every single time. They need to create more turnovers- that's true. However, they have definitely done their part. The offense needs to step up. I hope they do.
Yards Given up or Gained doesn't mean squat if you can't score.

RedZone Defense is bad- Cushing should be barking about that right now.
Old 09-26-2013   #119
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yards Given up or Gained doesn't mean squat if you can't score.

RedZone Defense is bad- Cushing should be barking about that right now.
You're right, I mean it's not like he's made the biggest play so far or anything.. or is a main reason why this team has a winning record right now.. and we all know he's completely responsible for the entire output of the entire defense. Cushing can say whatever the hell he wants right now, especially when he's speaking the truth.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013   #120
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
You're right, I mean it's not like he's made the biggest play so far or anything.. or is a main reason why this team has a winning record right now.. and we all know he's completely responsible for the entire output of the entire defense. Cushing can say whatever the hell he wants right now, especially when he's speaking the truth.
Great quotes for a Leadership course.....said no one ever

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read