Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2013   #81
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 2473 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The real problem is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Literally every team (except those who already have one) want one of those mythical 3-4 ELITE QBs. That's 32 teams vying for 3-4 players. If your standard for a QB is that, don't hold your breath, we'll be waiting for a while, just by probability/statistics.
We don't need elite we need a mobile qb not one that runs super fast but one that is balanced throwing, running and calling the count. Schaub is just a game manager.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some might say the "sunshine pumpers" are the delusional ones, but it's THIS mentality that is the most delusional. The Schaub haters are the ones who have themselves convinced that it's one guy who's holding this team back, and if we can JUST change that one guy, we'll be set.

While some of us acknowledge that football is a team game and that there are multiple glaring weaknesses of this team and there is no "quick fix" bandaid.

But yeah, we can make Schaub the scapegoat, put all the blame on him, and cross our fingers and tell ourselves that once the bad bad man is gone everything will be roses and rainbows.
Nope, I'm speaking for myself, but I dont think Schaub's the guy to lead the team to a SB.

If that's the case then it's time to find out if the other QB's on the roster could possibly be the guy. If not then it's time to draft a QB. Every day Schaub is the starting QB is another day they dont find out what the teams future is.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #83
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some might say the "sunshine pumpers" are the delusional ones, but it's THIS mentality that is the most delusional. The Schaub haters are the ones who have themselves convinced that it's one guy who's holding this team back, and if we can JUST change that one guy, we'll be set.

While some of us acknowledge that football is a team game and that there are multiple glaring weaknesses of this team and there is no "quick fix" bandaid.

But yeah, we can make Schaub the scapegoat, put all the blame on him, and cross our fingers and tell ourselves that once the bad bad man is gone everything will be roses and rainbows.
Nope, I'm speaking for myself, but I dont think Schaub's the guy to lead the team to a SB.

If that's the case then it's time to find out if the other QB's on the roster could possibly be the guy. If not then it's time to draft a QB. Every day Schaub is the starting QB is another day they dont find out what the teams future is.
Old 09-24-2013   #84
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
We don't need elite we need a mobile qb not one that runs super fast but one that is balanced throwing, running and calling the count. Schaub is just a game manager.
The post I quoted was you lusting after Peyton Manning. Not exactly the mobile qb you're talking about now.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #85
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

That's a reasonable perspective. If our goal is SB, and you don't believe a QB/WR/TE/Coach will take you there, then it's perfectly reasonable. Should we start Yates then? Keenum? We should give every QB a flier, right?
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #86
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

feels like we're stuck in quicksand doesn't it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #87
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I don't think that's the case.

I think he realizes that he has no better option and likely cant acquire a better option .... and that even by drafting a QB in round 1 doesn't mean he's going to immediately or ever be a better option ....

Then we have to realize that they had a huge need at the WR spot too and took what appears to be a very good one which should have made Schuab better ...

Bottom line , the team was in win now mode during this past offseason (and still is) and drafting a QB early would have limited them in that pursuit.

In hindsight , I wish they woulda used at least one of the picks spent on B.Williams , T.Williams & Montgomery on a QB .... as they were totally wasted from all appearances.
Unfortunately Gary picked the wrong guy to lead this franchise. (Schaub, due to injury, IMHO)

The question is where does he go from here? It's obvious to ME that Schaub isn't the guy to lead this team to a SB, So every day Schaub is in there is another day that could be spent seeing if T.J. or Case is the future of this franchise.

It upsets me that those picks were wasted. But last yr was a terrible QB yr. If you remember I mocked Bray in the 1st rd. He went undrafted but he made the Cheifs roster and appears to be their QB of the future.

This upcoming draft is the yr to get a QB. The draft is fairly loaded at QB. This is the only reason I would keep Gary around if the team falls on its face is I think he would be the ideal guy to figure out which QB to draft.

Although most HC's only get 1 shot at picking their QB. If it doesn't work out then they're fired. I doubt BoB holds Gary to this standard, since BoB has proven in the past that he doesn't hold people in the on the field product side of his business accountable.

Coach Joe must GO
Old 09-24-2013   #88
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub has basically turned into a blindered one-trick pony.......on one foot.........

Andre! Andre! Wherefore art though, Andrea? My kingdom for an Andre!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #89
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Even Brady or the all mighty Rodgers couldnt get a pass off with this kind of protection. Rush 4 drop 7....... daaaaaaam.
You cannot compare Hall of Fame destined QBs with championship pedigree with Matt Schaub.

Well, you can compare, of course, but it would be foolish to expect the same level of performance from Schaub that you would get from Brady or Rogers.

Besides, those guys are like OCs at the LOS, reading, adjusting, and taking on the blitz with audibles and quick release passes.

Kubiak's offense does not allow broad flexibility. Schaub can change some things, but nothing near what other QBs can do at the LOS. Either by design, or due to skill limitations, the Texans offense is fairly simple in that regard (this according to Sage Rosenfelds).

Quote:
I kinda lean towards Schaub's inadequacies shackling Kubiak .... Kubiak has shown the ability to get receiver's open while Schaub hasn't shown he can move , throw a dart or hit a guy accurately deep .... even Kevin Walter had to hit the brakes and wait on balls from the noodle armed statue.
I think Kubiak could do a lot with a better skilled QB. However, it is Kubiak's decision to make Schaub the man, so ultimately, he lives and dies with that decision and Schaub's performances.

Do you think Kubiak will outlast Schaub with the Texans? I think McNair will give him more than enough patience, but how long will Kubiak keep his wagon tied to Schaub's horse?
Old 09-24-2013   #90
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
feels like we're stuck in quicksand doesn't it
I just watch years pile up on Andre Johnson and think "Man, you got so screwed here in Houston." First they draft him and pair him with Carr who can't see the field for more than a couple of seconds before he sacks himself or dumps it to the RB and then he gets a glimmer of hope with a real offense only to waste three years of his career while Gary learns that DC's don't grow on trees. Finally as he closes in on the last few years he has left we watch Kubiak cling to this inconsistent, immobile (but loyal and obedient!) sloth of a QB.

Teams today change constantly. Every team changes from year to year at a much faster rate than they did 15-20 years ago. The teams that succeed in this environment aren't afraid to make changes because they manage their cap space well and draft well. We've done some of that but we still let players go before we have viable alternatives and we still hold on to guys too long who have hit their peak and aren't going to be part of the equation that puts us in the Super Bowl. Kevin Walter wasn't replaced for years while viable WR's fell out of the ****ing sky all around us. We address problems with this team like we're moving in slow motion and that's why they pile up.

Look how fast teams around us rebuild and address problems. The Colts are two years from complete disaster and beating on the door again. We keep grinding away though. Slow and steady wins the race...

Matt's the perfect QB for this team because that's how the Texans plod through life always slowly working toward their goal which is just out of reach.

****'s frustrating at times but it won't change so what can you do? Just hope they win enough to get to the postseason and pray for some magic ju-ju to kick in. That's the only way we're going to win past the first round.
Old 09-24-2013   #91
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what the real problem with the Texans is. But I do know they have problems and it's pissing me off. I can tell you this, I don't like Schaub or Kubiak. However you can't blame everything on Schaub or Kubiak, but you can blame a lot of them. Our super bowl window is shrinking.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You cannot compare Hall of Fame destined QBs with championship pedigree with Matt Schaub.
So if we know this, why aren't we focusing on getting our run game to work the way it's supposed to work, or our defense to tighten up on these big plays.
Old 09-24-2013   #93
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So if we know this, why aren't we focusing on getting our run game to work the way it's supposed to work, or our defense to tighten up on these big plays.
It's not like they haven't tried. But it's easier for teams to focus most of their defensive efforts on stopping the run, when you know that for whatever reason it's just a matter of when, not if, the passing game is going to break down.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #94
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6869 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unfortunately Gary picked the wrong guy to lead this franchise. (Schaub, due to injury, IMHO)

The question is where does he go from here? It's obvious to ME that Schaub isn't the guy to lead this team to a SB, So every day Schaub is in there is another day that could be spent seeing if T.J. or Case is the future of this franchise.

It upsets me that those picks were wasted. But last yr was a terrible QB yr. If you remember I mocked Bray in the 1st rd. He went undrafted but he made the Cheifs roster and appears to be their QB of the future.

This upcoming draft is the yr to get a QB. The draft is fairly loaded at QB. This is the only reason I would keep Gary around if the team falls on its face is I think he would be the ideal guy to figure out which QB to draft.

Although most HC's only get 1 shot at picking their QB. If it doesn't work out then they're fired. I doubt BoB holds Gary to this standard, since BoB has proven in the past that he doesn't hold people in the on the field product side of his business accountable.

Coach Joe must GO
Great post. The only thing I question is that GK is a QB guru. It seems he is just given that title. See Matt Leinart and Dave Orlovsky
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #95
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good questions, but maybe Kubiak still believes that Schaub has the potential...

Or...maybe the playcalling has become predictable to the point where they are unable to get a freakin' touchdown when they are 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line. And that's one of my barometers for great teams. Can they score a TD when they have three chances to get less than 5 yards? The Texans end up settling for FGs way too often.
Old 09-24-2013   #96
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A few million dollars .... They have to admit that the contract they handed Schaub early last season was a mistake.
I remember one of the first press conferences/speeches that Kubiak gave his first day on the job 7+ yrs. ago. He said he didn't care how much money a player made or where they were drafted, he was going to play the best players that gave the team a chance to win. Fast forward to the present and he's now playing the guys with the biggest contract because to do otherwise would be admitting that they made a mistake. So we're playing Schaub because someones ego would get bruised otherwise. Pitiful.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #97
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 2473 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The post I quoted was you lusting after Peyton Manning. Not exactly the mobile qb you're talking about now.
We just need a qb with intangibles. Schaub has no intangibles. I mention Manning because he was a free agent courting Houston and McNair says what? We got Schaub we have full faith in Schaub. Schaub is bs and everyone knows it. Most knew it way back then. At this point I know we can't get Manning but with how great this team is outside the current starting qb we can win a superbowl with a qb that can challenge the defense with his feet, head and arm... Schaub simply can't do it.
Old 09-24-2013   #98
SacHawk
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respectedSacHawk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
We just need a qb with intangibles. Schaub has no intangibles.
What about his hair?
SacHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #99
cstyle42
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHawk View Post
What about his hair?
Is that you David Carr?
Old 09-24-2013   #100
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem on this team is coaching .The players take on their coaches persona and its a soft passive one. Were undisciplined, in slow motion and have no desire to destroy teams. Our special teams has been junk for years and nothing changes. Our secondary is still trash after dumping money into the last few seasons. Wade still runs a soft defense in the secondary even after being dominated by passing teams for years now. Our head coach won't change his play calling or design even though it fails in the red zone over and over again. Its the same trash just a new season. Regular season champions have arrived. Gold stars for everyone, because participation means more than winning these days.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read