Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2013   #41
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing "They aint gonna do it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Seriously, if your offense makes it into the red zone once and scores a TD on that drive, they're 100%. If your defense allows the other team into the red zone twice and gives up 2 TDs, they're 100% the wrong way. That loss would still be on the offense moreso than the defense. You're missing the point that number of times into the red zone vs. total possessions matters as much or more than red zone percentage in many cases.
OK. Look at the totals and make up your own mind. The Texans D sux at stopping people once they are in the red zone. The Texans O is still better than the Texans D in the red zone.

To turn your argument around, it makes it much easier to know that if I can get the ball inside your 20, I'm virtually assured a TD. Go back to 2009 and look at how many games were lost due to that stat.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #42
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'd say the same thing to your face, scooter. I'm not a tough guy, just a guy that says what he thinks. I have the scars to prove it.
From the entire texans community:

SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #43
Coolhand_Luke
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Coolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respected

@ DOCBAR,

Doc, are you drinking the Kubiac Cool aid or something? You can't possibly put any of this struggles on the defense. The D has been playing better and better. Besides a couple of big plays last sunday, the Ravs got about 2.5 yards per attempt. Get a clue dude. Our offense keep going 3 and out, what do you expect the D to do? people get tired, you know?? The original post of this topic shows that Cush got frustrated, and why would he? at least he tries....so what if the D don't force the Turn over? it's not their job to score the last time I check. The Ravens scored Like 13 points when the game mattered....get with the program, dude!!
Coolhand_Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #44
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
From the entire texans community:

Whatever DB. I've been here a lot longer than you have or probably will be.
Old 09-23-2013   #45
Coolhand_Luke
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Coolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respected

"Ravens scored Like 13 points when the game mattered on our D....when the game mattered"
Coolhand_Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #46
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand_Luke View Post
@ DOCBAR,

Doc, are you drinking the Kubiac Cool aid or something? You can't possibly put any of this struggles on the defense. The D has been playing better and better. Besides a couple of big plays last sunday, the Ravs got about 2.5 yards per attempt. Get a clue dude. Our offense keep going 3 and out, what do you expect the D to do? people get tired, you know?? The original post of this topic shows that Cush got frustrated, and why would he? at least he tries....so what if the D don't force the Turn over? it's not their job to score the last time I check. The Ravens scored Like 13 points when the game mattered....get with the program, dude!!
But Luke, the defense got no huge turnovers or big time sacks... It does not matter they only gave up 16 points, apparently they are supposed to score game altering touchdowns every week!!
Old 09-23-2013   #47
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand_Luke View Post
@ DOCBAR,

No kool aid, whatsoever. I watch games over and over and call it like I see it. If I were any good at it, I'd probably have a coaching job somewhere.

I am not blind, though. I see severe deficiencies in our pass rush and pass coverage. Phillips seems to be more likely to change things up than Dennison or Kubiak, but it's often after things get out of hand. Both sides of the ball are very predictable and that's part of the problem.
Old 09-23-2013   #48
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Quote:
Whatever DB. I've been here a lot longer than you have or probably will be.
So THAT gives you the right...
Old 09-23-2013   #49
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd say the same thing to your face, scooter. I'm not a tough guy, just a guy that says what he thinks. I have the scars to prove it.
what did i do?
Old 09-23-2013   #50
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
So THAT gives you the right...
No. The fact that I have a keyboard and an internet connection gives me the right. You have the right to disagree with me. That's how this stuff works.
Old 09-23-2013   #51
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
what did i do?
LMAO!!!! Guilty by nickname association?
Old 09-23-2013   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Go back to 2009 and look at how many games were lost due to that stat.
The offense can also have a lot to do with forming a stat like that if they struggle to keep the defense off the field.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #53
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
The offense can also have a lot to do with forming a stat like that if they didn't struggled to keep the defense off the field.
Agreed. Starting field position also has a major affect on that stat.
I didn't add my posts to be an end all be all stat. I added it to remind everyone that the Texans are better on O in the red zone than the defense is, even though it appears the opposite based on the Ravens game.
Old 09-23-2013   #54
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed. Starting field position also has a major affect on that stat.
I didn't add my posts to be an end all be all stat. I added it to remind everyone that the Texans are better on O in the red zone than the defense is, even though it appears the opposite based on the Ravens game.
If you are talking 2013 only.. That assessment is true:

Offense Red Zone TD % - 77.78%
Defense Red Zone TD % - 87.50%

But, using percentages 3 games into the season is misleading.

To get a better idea we can look at 2012:

Offense Red Zone TD % - 54.69%
Defense Red Zone TD % - 51.06%

I will not argue that either unit is playing up to their respective talent level, but the defense had a well above average game against Baltimore.

Either way.. We will see what this team is made of over the next 2 weeks.
Old 09-24-2013   #55
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
The offense went down three times and only scored field goals, then gave away 7 points. Not sure I can blame the loss on the defense. Sure all three levels could have been better, but the offense put us in a position we should never have been in. I agree with Cushing.
msr
Old 09-24-2013   #56
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
No....changing up the gameplan, air it out more, be aggressive etc....
Quote:
Unless someone other than Matt suits up, we cant air it out ...
kingtexan is spot on .... The reason the offense is designed the way it is , is to protect Schaub and mask his weaknesses.

When everything is perfect - good protection and a receiver can beat his man .... Schaub can deliver a ball in the vicinity of the receiver.

But how often is everything perfect in the NFL ?!? They run those play action passes and bootlegs specifically to get Schaub downfield opportunities , that's about the only time they do take those downfield shots.

Why ?!
Because Schaub isn't capable of throwing a pinpoint laser into coverage.
Because if the protection isn't "very good" Schaub cant read the defense .... he settles for a check down.

Never see a fade , never see a back shoulder throw and the majority of his deep balls have a ton of air under them ... with a receiver having to wait for the damn ball.

Lack of arm strength.
Lack of mobility.
Lack of pocket presence.
Not reading defenses as well as he has in the past - three picks in three games , all resulting in TD's for the opposition , two directly.

All of that is impossible to hide behind a scheme. Schaubs ship has sailed IMO.

Quote:
The offense went down three times and only scored field goals, then gave away 7 points. Not sure I can blame the loss on the defense. Sure all three levels could have been better, but the offense put us in a position we should never have been in. I agree with Cushing.

Me too.

That defense is second in the league giving up 249 yards per game , second only to the SeaDucks who give up 241.7. They are also second in pass defense (157.7 ypg) also second to the SeaDucks.

Despite the score , the defense did their job Sunday - it was the not so special teams and offense who blundered away a W.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #57
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

D held the Ravens to 16 points, that's OK.
Offense & ST gave up 14... that's NOT OK.
Offense scored a grand totalt of 9 points, that's NOT OK...!

To me it's pretty clear that despite 'lack of turnovers', our D manages to hold their heads up high, it's the offense that is behind... so Cushing is correct in his observations.
Old 09-24-2013   #58
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Ravens defense went thru that for years with Anthony Wright, Jeff Blake and Kyle Boller at QB- they knew they weren't capable of scoring points so the defense manufactured them.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand what anyone's lack of production has to do with there being members of the team that don't believe in the other units.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #60
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be interested in the context. However, if JJ Watt and Cushing were out of the game I could see someone on the offense telling the unit that the defense "ain't gonna do it."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read