Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2013   #21
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing "They aint gonna do it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I think that change will occur when Schaub has an "injury" and Yates replaces him. I wouldn't be surprised at all for Schaub to come up with a mystery ailment after the 49'ers game, depending on how he and the offense performs.
Could be. If I may reference Clue for a second......

The mystery ailment was caused by JJ Watt, with the swatt, in the parking lott. Apologies for the spelling, it just seemed right.
Old 09-23-2013   #22
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74785 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
"... we gotta do something, they ain't going to do it"

That sounds like something that Foster, Daniels or Hopkins might have been saying about the defense, just about the time that JJo was drawing a taunting penalty, Flacco was drawing Cushing offsides and KJ was getting one interference call after another.
Defense was shutting down the Ravens. Schaub and Marcianos "special" teams gave up the points and did NOTHING to get them back. Stop trying to spin it.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #23
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74785 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't argue with that.
Bows chest.....don't you forget it!

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think it should be Keenum.
Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. Just trying to keep all this speculation real. LOL
Old 09-23-2013   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Bows chest.....don't you forget it!

Yes sir, Mr. Sir.
Old 09-23-2013   #26
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And the defense didn't do it, either. Nice story. You should've started it as "once upon a time".

Nuff said.
The defense gave up 16 points, and 3 of those were in junk time.

Aye dios mio.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #27
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Defense was shutting down the Ravens. Schaub and Marcianos "special" teams gave up the points and did NOTHING to get them back. Stop trying to spin it.
This.

I'm frankly glad he said that. It's the truth...in three games, the defense has given up 51 points where there hasn't been a turnover deep in our own territory, a pick six, or a special teams screwup. That's 17 points a game- I'll take that any day. They are second ranked in yards allowed. They can play better, and they need to get more turnovers...but, they've done their job. The offense hasn't.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #28
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there any chance Matt Schaub will take a 40 % pay cut next off-season for the betterment of the team? He makes too much salary and is overpaid. We could use a big chunk of his salary on other needs. That would create some better cap room. I was against signing him long term in the first place.

I'm not going to lie, I was actually intrigued when Peyton Manning was a free agent and had some interest in Houston a couple off-seasons ago but as Bob McNair pointed out, we were never in the discussion because the team had faith in Matt Schaub.

Ironically, both quarterbacks were coming off serious injuries so it was a gamble to invest into both but one is elite, a Super Bowl champion and a future Hall of Famer, and the other is well, he's Matt Schaub.

All that being said, I'm trying my best to support Schaub. He's a great guy off the field and does wonderful work in the community. I guess things could be worse. Prior to the 2007 season we did have David Carr at quarterback. So Matt Schaub is way better by default.
Old 09-23-2013   #29
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Our defense knows they have to dominate to beat the elite teams. We're going to have to play like the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears to get it done.
Old 09-23-2013   #30
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think it's really much of a topic. I saw a complete breakdown in nearly every facet of the game. Bullock was oddly enough the only guy who got it done. So Cushing can see that the offense is crapping the bed. It's not like the defense didn't crap the bed too. Special teams can't say anything to either one because they crapped the bed as well.

Coaches. Crap everywhere.

Complete failure almost across the board. If they want to start calling each other out and pointing fingers after week three then it's going to be a long ugly season and I'm not ready to start talking about the draft just yet.
Old 09-23-2013   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
The defense has given up nearly 100% in the red zone. Mostly on passes. There really is no comparison.
Not only is there no comparison, there's no relevance. The red zone percentages are nice when you're getting into the red zone. When they move the ball between the 20s and settle for FGs (or missed FGs), the red zone percentage doesn't mean a damn thing. Same thing applies in reverse. How many times did the defense allow a team into the red zone? Let's face it, they looked like crap against tjhe Chargers for 35 minutes, and they gave up a key drive against both the Tacks and the Ravens. But if your defense gives up 16 points in today's NFL and you can't pull out the victory, you are not a playoff caliber offense.
Old 09-23-2013   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I don't think it's really much of a topic. I saw a complete breakdown in nearly every facet of the game. Bullock was oddly enough the only guy who got it done. So Cushing can see that the offense is crapping the bed. It's not like the defense didn't crap the bed too. Special teams can't say anything to either one because they crapped the bed as well.

Complete failure almost across the board. If they want to start calling each other out and pointing fingers after week three then it's going to be a long ugly season and I'm not ready to start talking about the draft just yet.
MSR. Truth.
Old 09-23-2013   #33
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they want to start calling each other out and pointing fingers after week three then it's going to be a long ugly season and I'm not ready to start talking about the draft just yet.
That's my concern about this.
Old 09-23-2013   #34
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good post all around. Especially the sentence in bold.
Old 09-23-2013   #35
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not only is there no comparison, there's no relevance. The red zone percentages are nice when you're getting into the red zone. When they move the ball between the 20s and settle for FGs (or missed FGs), the red zone percentage doesn't mean a damn thing. Same thing applies in reverse. How many times did the defense allow a team into the red zone? Let's face it, they looked like crap against tjhe Chargers for 35 minutes, and they gave up a key drive against both the Tacks and the Ravens. But if your defense gives up 16 points in today's NFL and you can't pull out the victory, you are not a playoff caliber offense.
Seriously? If your offense scores a TD on 80% of redzone appearances and your defense allows 100% TD's, then you're going to lose the majority of your games. Trend it and see what you think. We all had a front row seat to the difference between allowing TD's vs. FG's on Sunday.
Old 09-23-2013   #36
waynegg
Veteran

Rep Power: 1365 waynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respectedwaynegg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And what's the defenses record in the red zone? I'll bet you a bunch of money that it's worse than the offenses.
You're probably right, apples hardly ever match oranges...

I would take you up on that bet if you were saying 'I betcha a bunch of money the offense capitalized in the red zone more times than the defense stopped the other team's offense from reaching the red zone'. Yeah, I'd take that bet.
waynegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #37
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

I've been disappointed with the secondary mostly. Johnathan Joseph is a lockdown cornerback (2011 All Pro) but has been getting beat far too often. I just think it's a mental thing with him. For God sakes, a taunting penalty? Just play some good ball and let your play speak for itself.

Kareem Jackson has all the tools to become an All Pro and one of the better young corners in the league, but he is consistently caught with frustrating pass interference penalties because he's not turning around his head and playing the ball. There were a couple scoring drives by Baltimore just because of Kareem Jackson not playing smart.

Stop playing the receiver Kareem! He has too much speed and shouldn't worry about anybody blowing by him. Play the ball every time. Get yourself a deflection or interception. That would help the Texans defense become much better.

But other than that, yeah, our OLBs need to step up and play better. We're not getting a dominating front seven pass rush anymore. Like we used to have two seasons ago. We need our front seven to play like we expect them to. That would be a start.

I don't even want to discuss Matt Schaub and our offense right now. They frustrate the hell out of me. 100 times worse than the defense and special teams do. First of all, Arian Foster has to perform like the superstar he's getting paid to be. We can start with #23 playing good again and go from there. Stop talking about being paid to play at Tennessee, and start talking about earning your pay to play with the Houston Texans!!!
Old 09-23-2013   #38
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Seriously? If your offense scores a TD on 80% of redzone appearances and your defense allows 100% TD's, then you're going to lose the majority of your games. Trend it and see what you think. We all had a front row seat to the difference between allowing TD's vs. FG's on Sunday.
Seriously, if your offense makes it into the red zone once and scores a TD on that drive, they're 100%. If your defense allows the other team into the red zone twice and gives up 2 TDs, they're 100% the wrong way. That loss would still be on the offense moreso than the defense. You're missing the point that number of times into the red zone vs. total possessions matters as much or more than red zone percentage in many cases.
Old 09-23-2013   #39
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
Are you serious?

They gave up 3 points in the first half, and forced multiple 3 and outs!

Do you even believe the blather that you spit?
Yes, I do.
Old 09-23-2013   #40
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaubApologist View Post
This was very inappropriate. Internet tough guys, gotta love em!!
I'd say the same thing to your face, scooter. I'm not a tough guy, just a guy that says what he thinks. I have the scars to prove it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read