Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2013   #61
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok everyone just calm down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Maybe I'm a "sunshine-pumper", but this board is absolutely sickening after the first loss of the season.

I'm all for bringing up legitimate concerns about the team and even complaining about players/coaches/schemes. Every team (shocker) has them.

What makes me sick is how the first loss of the year (and every loss after that) is used to somehow prove that certain people were right all along. It's like they were lying in wait, painfully being patient through wins (because, you know, that's what fans do), and then finally. FINALLY. It's time to unleash the hate, because our team lost a game.

Every team loses. Every team can look BAD. Any given Sunday.

By all means, rage against the machine. Just wait for more than one loss on the season.

I agree with you. Schaub certainly can play better and the INT numbers have to improve. The team is not rolling up to par and you are still 2-1
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #62
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The team had a piss poor performance yesterday, and a lot of the stuff we saw we've seen to many times already.
They stunk it up yesterday. No doubt! However, what fan base doesn't see a pattern in their team's losses? Each team has a weakness, or limitation, or a strength that it depends on... when those get exposed, that's when losses happen.

I am more optimistic about this team than I have been for any Texan team three weeks into the season. I agree that they haven't played particularly well. Still, I see dramatic improvement in talent and mindset in all the areas we have recently struggled in. For example:

1. Schaub: He has made a couple horrible and costly throws. However, he looks more nimble and confident in the pocket than I remember him. Also, he is taking hits much better. I'm not sure why, but he is a different player physically this year.

2. Special Teams: Despite the field goal fiasco in week two and the punt return, the addition of Lechler and Bullock has dramatically flipped field position... We are starting drives (without collecting turnovers) near the 40 yard line, while regularly pinning our opponents inside the 20.

3. Playmakers on offense: a healthy Tate, Hopkins, Posey, and Martin have all shown NFL playmaking ability and the combination of depth and talent allow for many options in many situations.

4. LBs: Cushing's return (though he's still not himself), plus the addition of Mays and Sharpton have altered the ILB position- making it much more athletic.

5. Mercilus: is showing a lot of positive signs!

6. DLINE: depth and talent even better than last year with Jamison's return, Mitchell's growth, and the addition of the Jacksonville guy (McClain?)

7. Safety play: Swearinger is going to be good and is already an asset. Reed will add a dimension to the defense we have never had... Heck, even Keo has played well.

8. Brandon Brooks: is a beast! Wow! Remarkable upgrade at guard from last season.

*** Other than an unfortunate rash of injuries, the only real concern I have on the team is RT. I honestly believe the Texans will enter January as the prohibitive favorite in the AFC, barring a rash of significant injuries.
Old 09-23-2013   #63
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
We should have grabbed Manning last year when he had us on his list of teams he was interested in.
Yeah, we should've. I mean, with all the cap space we had we could've easily afforded another 20 million a year.

Old 09-23-2013   #64
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am tired of both the calm down threads and the others they both are old.
Old 09-23-2013   #65
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
3 games in, thats what the numbers tell you. Id be interested to hear what the numbers looked like at the start of week 3. One bad game in 3 certainly throws numbers off. I dont think Schaub will continue his INT avg. I think 3-5 on the bad will also improve with more games
It depends on the stat you're looking at. His completion % vs. the Titans was horrid (worse than the Ravens). I'm thinking we're just getting to the hard part of the schedule. I'll be thrilled if these numbers get better the next two weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-23-2013   #66
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Maybe I'm a "sunshine-pumper", but this board is absolutely sickening after the first loss of the season.

I'm all for bringing up legitimate concerns about the team and even complaining about players/coaches/schemes. Every team (shocker) has them.

What makes me sick is how the first loss of the year (and every loss after that) is used to somehow prove that certain people were right all along. It's like they were lying in wait, painfully being patient through wins (because, you know, that's what fans do), and then finally. FINALLY. It's time to unleash the hate, because our team lost a game.

Every team loses. Every team can look BAD. Any given Sunday.

By all means, rage against the machine. Just wait for more than one loss on the season.
No make no mistake, I understand teams lose and any given Sunday, yada yada yada. It is the fact that it is the SAME way they lose. It is the same mistakes, same glaring holes that have not been addressed since last year

How many games are they gonna give up big special team plays, How many times am I gonna have to see 4th and 1 and they kick a FG. How many times am I gonna see McCain hold or Jackson not look back for the ball?

It is the same thing every week and it's beyond frustrating.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #67
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Since there seems to be a concerted effort to overlook Schaub's shortcomings this year, let's have a little perspective: Link

Let's see:

The Good:

1. Completion percentage = A bit above his career average at 64.4

2. Above career average for yards

3. Above career average for touchdowns

4. Above career average for TD percentage.

5. Yards / Game second only to 2009

6. Great pace for 4th QTR comebacks and game winning drives.

The Bad:

1. Set to shatter INT numbers

2. Highest INT % since 2007

3. Longest pass of 32 yds (last in the league)

4. Lowest Y/A and AY/A as a Texan (only higher than his rookie yr in ATL)

5. Y/C - Lowest in his career

6. Quarterback Rating and ESPNs QBR - One lowest since 2007, the other FAR lower since they started it in 2008.

7. On pace to shatter sacks mark (though this one most assuredly not all on him)

8. NY/A & AYN/A- Lowest since he was a rookie in ATL.

Someone please tell me how those "good" numbers outweigh the "bad" ones? That we're 2-1 isn't enough, not with the remaining schedule.

Running down the stats on espn it looks better on paper than tv which can often be the case

#9 in yards
#3 in completions and attempts
#7 in completion %
#23 in yards per attempt
#4 in TDs
#4 for most INTs
Notes #1 Eli (5TDs) #2 Geno(3 td) #4 Brees(6 tds) Palmer(3 tds) Big Ben (4 tds_ Kaepernick (3 tds) Griffin III (5 tds)
#19 in most sacks take
Old 09-23-2013   #68
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
It depends on the stat you're looking at. His completion % vs. the Titans was horrid (worse than the Ravens). I'm thinking we're just getting to the hard part of the schedule. I'll be thrilled if these numbers get better the next two weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

His comp % was fine yesterday but the yards were meh if you throw 71%+ thats usually a good day but that was his lowest attempts this year 35 vs 48 and 45
Old 09-23-2013   #69
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99925 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His comp % was fine yesterday but the yards were meh if you throw 71%+ thats usually a good day but that was his lowest attempts this year 35 vs 48 and 45
For what it's worth David CARR had pretty impressive stats when he was here. AJ can make any schlub look like a half decent QB.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #70
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Asking people on this board to calm down is futile. Many on this message board cant help themselves but go ape **** when we lose. People last year would say we need to be playing our best football when the playoffs start. And now we need to be playing our best football the 3rd game of the season. I guess you just simply want super bowl caliber play all freaking year long. No big deal. Just do that, Texans.

Yes, our offense and ST stunk yesterday. But sometimes our offense doesn't click, especially without D. Brown and a healthy AJ, and on ST, those are things that can be corrected.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #71
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
For what it's worth David CARR had pretty impressive stats when he was here. AJ can make any schlub look like a half decent QB.

Yeah carr's stats are impressive

Carr's avg

16.35/27 completion/attempts
60.5%
176 yards a game
11.8 td/13ints

Schaub's

21.65/33.275
65%
261 yards a game
19td/10.6 ints
Old 09-23-2013   #72
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Asking people on this board to calm down is futile. Many on this message board cant help themselves but go ape **** when we lose.
First off, it's a message board. People vent here. Then on Sunday, they show up at the game and cheer again. Just let it be.

Quote:
Yes, our offense and ST stunk yesterday. But sometimes our offense doesn't click, especially without D. Brown and a healthy AJ, and on ST, those are things that can be corrected.
Just to be 100% clear, you're saying that the ST problems can be corrected? Have you watched this ST unit over the past few years? It's going to take a different coach to correct those things.
Old 09-23-2013   #73
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
No make no mistake, I understand teams lose and any given Sunday, yada yada yada. It is the fact that it is the SAME way they lose. It is the same mistakes, same glaring holes that have not been addressed since last year

How many games are they gonna give up big special team plays, How many times am I gonna have to see 4th and 1 and they kick a FG. How many times am I gonna see McCain hold or Jackson not look back for the ball?

It is the same thing every week and it's beyond frustrating.
How short our memories are as fans; we went for a big 4th and 1 just 2 games ago. We also converted another 4th down on the fake punt. Going for it on 4th is a rarity; we've seen it twice already.

Our special teams suck, no one has said otherwise.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #74
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
First off, it's a message board. People vent here. Then on Sunday, they show up at the game and cheer again. Just let it be.
Fine, its a message board. But my comment still stands. People cant control their emotions on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Just to be 100% clear, you're saying that the ST problems can be corrected? Have you watched this ST unit over the past few years? It's going to take a different coach to correct those things.
That is what I am saying. Yes I have watched the ST unit over the past 10 seasons. They are hot garbage right now. And maybe a new ST coach can do the trick. Its not like we are out classed by talent on our ST squad. We are simply not scheming correctly on both sides of the ST ball.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #75
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Fine, its a message board. But my comment still stands. People cant control their emotions on here.
People choose not to control their emotions on here, because it's a message board. It's a place that specifically exists to vent, for some people.

Quote:
That is what I am saying. Yes I have watched the ST unit over the past 10 seasons. They are hot garbage right now. And maybe a new ST coach can do the trick. Its not like we are out classed by talent on our ST squad. We are simply not scheming correctly on both sides of the ST ball.
My point is they haven't schemed correctly for quite a while, and judging by that, the ST problems can't actually be corrected, or they would have. I agree with you about talent, so that just leaves coaching. As long as Marciano is the coach, the ST is going to continue to screw up.
Old 09-23-2013   #76
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If the team doesn't come out and play better next game that will tell me a lot. Mostly that the team doesn't believe they are as good as some of you think.

Special teams is a direct result of kubiak culture. These guys are relentless machines. They don't have it ingrained in their psyche to seek, destroy and kill. Often times they look reactionary. When they face an opponent making plays they wither like children.

I've seen highschool teams more disciplined on special teams. No body breaks down on the coverage units anymore? That's like football basics.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #77
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99925 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah carr's stats are impressive

Carr's avg

16.35/27 completion/attempts
60.5%
176 yards a game
11.8 td/13ints

Schaub's

21.65/33.275
65%
261 yards a game
19td/10.6 ints
So he's MARGINALLY better than David Carr? Carr 2.0? Okay. Wow...Imagine what Carr could have done with an offensive line. Carr (much like Schaub) won't make it into the hall of fame, but the young man can retire from the game of football with two things:

1. A HUGE pile of money he made as Houston's starting QB.

and

2. a bigg-azz stupor bowl ring he got as a BACK UP in New York.

Another commonality is that they're both excellent BACK UP QB's. Carr does a GREAT job backing up Eli just as Schaub did a great job backing up Dog-boy (Michael Vick). They're BOTH back-ups who THINK as back ups. They can win a few games, but at the end of the day both lack the hunger that championship calibre QBs sweat in their sleep. Until you see them on the sidelines analyzing EVERY play of the game the way Tom Brady, Paton Manning and Aaron Rodgers that's all they'll EVER be.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 09-23-2013   #78
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
So he's MARGINALLY better than David Carr? Carr 2.0? Okay. Wow...Imagine what Carr could have done with an offensive line.

Im not sure you have historical persepctive in mind but 4 more completions on average per game, 7.5% higher completion rate, 48% more yards per game, 60% more touchdowns and 19% less INTs per season isnt marginally better
Old 09-23-2013   #79
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate how this season has been going but - I like that we basically only look bad, when we are doing mistakes. Our D is dominant for the most part of the games (how many TDs have they given up?), our receivers can get open and Ben Tate provides a great boost of the bench. What is wrong with our teams are mistakes like:

- missing field goals
- throwing stupid INTs
- missing pass block assignments
- penalties
- dropping INTs

Mistakes can be corrected. We have the talent and we are not playing up to our potential. That is a good thing. We need to figure it out during the season and get hot at the end of the season. Correct those mistakes and we have a super bowl contender - if we don`t correct those mistakes we might even miss the playoffs.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #80
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Im not sure you have historical persepctive in mind but 4 more completions on average per game, 7.5% higher completion rate, 48% more yards per game, 60% more touchdowns and 19% less INTs per season isnt marginally better
and the interception per game that Schaub throws should be ignored? I'm just sayin'. Sorry I'll admit I've never had any faith in the man and he's yet to do anything to alter my perception of him as a guy who shold be holding a clip board and wearing a baseball cap.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read