Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What needs be done to fix offense? (Vote for one or more.)
Start a different quarterback. 34 64.15%
Rewrite the playbook. 6 11.32%
Fire the offensive coordinator. 5 9.43%
Fire the head coach. 16 30.19%
Let somebody else call the plays. 9 16.98%
Abandon the zone blocking scheme. 2 3.77%
No change needed. 3 5.66%
Other 11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2013   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: How improve offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He's fine as long as he has a clean pocket .... but all too often in the NFL that just isn't the case.
But we do expect the protection to be better than what we've seen right?

Far as Schaub goes... I don't think it's about his inadequacies. I think it's about how he decides when it's time to take a chance & when it's not. Too often we're on the wrong side of that decision when you consider this game is about play-makers making plays.

Sooner or later, you've got to decide that we're not going to settle for a field goal... the first two, that's my limit. That third trip into the red zone, it's time to take a chance. Got to be.
Old 09-23-2013   #42
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I had to think about whether to vote for getting rid of Schaub or Kubiak, ending up voting for getting rid of Schaub since that'll be a quicker fix. Although getting rid of either or both would make me happy.

The problem is that neither TJ or Keenum are ready to start, so you'd have to just go ahead throw one of them to the wolves.
My thoughts exactly.

Schaub's main advantage over the other two is experience/decision making and possibly accuracy. Well based on what we have seen lately those two advantages are gone. He seems to be folding under the pressure of the actual rush, the pressure of a possible rush and the pressure he has put on himself.
I know we all assume he recognizes the defense better than the other two because of his experience but I am not so sure. We assume he goes through the progressions better than the other two but I am not so sure. I have to think that AJ is not the most open receiver most of the time.

They always say a game may hinge on 5-6 plays. Yesterday his contribution to these plays were negative not positive. Maybe if he had made a couple of plays on the first two drives they have TDs instead of FGs.

Listening to him on 610 and his answers kind of remind me of "Nuke" LaLoosh/Bull Durham at the end of the movie.

We wiil see against Seattle how he responds. I think it will be far uglier than this week for MS and the Texans.

On a side note does he look sleep deprived/stressed out or has he always looked like that?

Can't wait to see what happens against Seattle.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I get why you'd throw the ball in front of the sticks or just short of the end zone at times. The defense is usually giving you that space and if your guy can catch it and make a play it can work out nicely.

But Schaub doesn't throw the ball well enough for that. A lot of his throws are late with little velocity. Look at the throw to Andre yesterday. He bobbled it, but it was not a good throw at all. Ball should have been out in front if him, thrown quicker so he could catch it and quickly turn up field to beast for the first down.

We can't consistently be a good team if we have to constantly fight to make up for the shortcomings of the qb. That should be reversed. The qb should be mostly making up for shortcomings of others.
msr.... I agree with everything you're saying, except the shortcomings of Schaub. He's doing that on purpose. It's difficult to grasp, because it just doesn't make sense, but after watching it for years & listening to him... he's doing it on purpose. At least he believes he'd doing it on purpose.

This isn't something that just started happening since the Lisfranc, he's done it since he got here. Then every time you think he's going to pick & choose when he'll lead & when he'll throw it behind better, something bad happens. Like the ball when he tried to lead OD.

Instead of thinking, "I led him a little too much." It's like he says, "That'll never work."
Old 09-23-2013   #44
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Marciano SUCKS. Do something about it.

2. The O-line is in disarray. We need Brown back healthy, & that is not the only problem, but I'm far from knowing what to do about it, especially right now & under the current circumstances.

3. I believe we needed to go high to Hopkins in the redzone in this game & didn't. I also suspect that we mistakenly shyed away from the TEs after the pick 6 in this game, which was all on Schaub anyway.

I don't think Schaub played all that terrbibly, but the pick 6 throw was a total bonehead move. We lost this game because of terrible redzone play by the O., a pick-6, and an 82 yard punt return for a TD that has MARCIANO written all over it. The D didn't always look great, but you take away 14 points for the pick-6 & punt return & they did their jobs pretty darn well.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #45
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 5456 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #46
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I don't think Schaub played all that terrbibly ...
Well, he DID throw a touchdown pass.
Old 09-23-2013   #47
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, he DID throw a touchdown pass.
Just to the wrong team..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #48
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I get why you'd throw the ball in front of the sticks or just short of the end zone at times. The defense is usually giving you that space and if your guy can catch it and make a play it can work out nicely.

But Schaub doesn't throw the ball well enough for that. A lot of his throws are late with little velocity. Look at the throw to Andre yesterday. He bobbled it, but it was not a good throw at all. Ball should have been out in front if him, thrown quicker so he could catch it and quickly turn up field to beast for the first down.

We can't consistently be a good team if we have to constantly fight to make up for the shortcomings of the qb. That should be reversed. The qb should be mostly making up for shortcomings of others.
Great point. Schaub definitely doesn't make it easier on the receivers. The ball just looks weak coming off his arm.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #49
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I never get how we are supposed to be such a great running team but we look ****ing clueless in the red zone over and over.

The o-line play was god awful yesterday and we have the most immobile QB in the league and that compounds the problems when they don't play well.

We see the same special teams breakdowns year after year and yet Marciano keeps his job...wtf is that all about.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #50
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post

We see the same special teams breakdowns year after year and yet Marciano keeps his job...wtf is that all about.
He must have compromising pic's of McNair ..... cause he's been here since day one and shoulda been gone a long time ago.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #51
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The Ravens had 6 plays on offense in the 1st quarter not counting punts. We had 7 plays in the redzone alone, which accounted for 6 points. Then we were Schaubed, Bramaned and Newtoned. Two TDs in about 3 minutes
Old 09-23-2013   #52
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The Ravens had 6 plays on offense in the 1st quarter not counting punts. We had 7 plays in the redzone alone, which accounted for 6 points. Then we were Schaubed, Bramaned and Newtoned. Two TDs in about 3 minutes
It is never a good thing when player's names, on the team you cheer for, become verbs...

We also got Kubiaked....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just rewatched the game, taking into account all the things that were said in this thread and over the course of the years.

While there's a little truth in several comments, they are not unique to the Texans. The vast majority of the teams are doing the same thing; many with worse results.

In this particular game, Schaub actually throw the ball beyond the yard marker more often than Flacco on third down.
Teams throw the ball the yard marker all the time.

Only teams with the elite QBs and teams that rely a little more on the vertical concept are different (the later took more risks and end up with worse result overall.)

It all boils down to execution, and penalties is a part of it.
Sometimes, a lineman allows a bit too much pressure; sometimes the receiver couldn't get enough separation; sometimes Schaub made a poor throw; sometimes the receiver drops a ball; sometimes Schaub was fooled by the scheme; sometimes the receiver runs a poor route; sometimes Schaub picks the wrong target (a guy that was covered instead of the open man.)

But we all know that Schaub is not an elite QB;
I still maintain that Schaub is somewhere between 11-15.
He's a solid QB that needs the parts around him to function up to their levels, and that includes special team plays and the defense. In the previous two games, Schaub played better than that level; in this game, he didn't.

The Ravens actually played more to the balance philosophy of the WCO; this was a day where most things clicked for them, and they took advantage of it. Then they pounded the ball in the fourth quarter when they had a big lead.

There's no magic to it.
Special team had another bad day.
The defense couldn't create turnovers; they couldn't make the big plays needed to overcome the offensive woes.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #54
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 5803 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Find someone to replace Newton , not having Brown really hurt today.

Also need a QB .... who can throw downfield and extend plays with his feet. Im done with "The statue of Schaub" Three picks in three games that either result in a pick 6 or fantastic field position resulting in 6. Had IT!

Find an OC who will call for routes that go beyond the marker on 3rd down & will take shots "Into" the endzone while in the redzone. This is really a big deal as a penalty in the endzone puts you at the 1 ..... with a 1st down.
Running routes 1 yard shy of the marker (or goal line) on 3rd down is one of those stupid little things you can do to lose ball games.

Quote:
Last but not least , get rid of Marciano .... that dude's concept of lane integrity is worse than a politicians concept of integrity.
You home in on the runner's belt buckle and you don't get juked out of position. Where his midriff goes, he has to go. It seems Marciano should at least make sure they know that.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Only teams with the elite QBs and teams that rely a little more on the vertical concept are different (the later took more risks and end up with worse result overall.)
That's not true. Tom Brady throws short of the stick all the time. That's how Shane Vareen beat us to death in the play offs & Welker as well. Peyton has always done it frequently & now with Welker on his team, he'll do it even more.

It's part of the game.
Old 09-23-2013   #56
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
It is never a good thing when player's names, on the team you cheer for, become verbs...

We also got Kubiaked....
Ha, true
Old 09-23-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's not true. Tom Brady throws short of the stick all the time. That's how Shane Vareen beat us to death in the play offs & Welker as well. Peyton has always done it frequently & now with Welker on his team, he'll do it even more.

It's part of the game.
Fewer times.

I actually studied it during the off-season.
Brady is one of 'em QB that throws the ball beyond the yard marker more consistently.
Old 09-23-2013   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Fewer times.

I actually studied it during the off-season.
Brady is one of 'em QB that throws the ball beyond the yard marker more consistently.
I've actually studied it myself. He throws short of the sticks a lot.
Old 09-23-2013   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Running routes 1 yard shy of the marker (or goal line) on 3rd down is one of those stupid little things you can do to lose ball games.
Teams do it quite often; the winning teams, too.
Old 09-23-2013   #60
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 5477 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

I've looked at these possible responses, and the ones that jump out are changing the QB and head coach.

I've always liked both of them. As people go, they are two of the best, it seems...but that doesn't mean they are what we need.

I know it's hard to argue with the regular season results the last two years (I think that can be attributed in great part to the defense), but when you look at their body of work here, this is what you get:

8th year for the head coach
7th year for the starting qb
2 playoff victories
No trips to a conference championship game

Perhaps there are some other HC-QB combos who have had this little success, but to me, that's just not good enough.

I know three years ago, we would have killed for any sniff of the playoffs-now we want more. I think that's good as a fan base to want that.

The basic question is- can this combination take us any further than we've gone? I wasn't sure before yesterday; now, seeing how both were exposed in an ugly way, I'm leaning toward saying they can't.

This might be knee-jerk; they might come out Sunday and beat the Seahawks- I doubt it, but it might happen. I just think if you look at things honestly, at least one of the two needs to change, preferably both. Just my thoughts.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read