Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013   #681
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
That is typically what a pro scout does.

I agree, Manziel has had a superlative college showing to date, due to being in the right offense at the right school, at the right time.
Chip Kelly wanted him @ Oregon but lost out to A&M so he had to settle for some guy named Marcus Mariota. I can imagine him being just as good if not better there. Oregon regularly beat Pete Carrol & Jim Harbough teams

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-18-2013   #682
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

love this quote from http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/09...raft.html?rh=1

Quote:
Manziel, who grew up emulating Vick, insists “there’s definitely a place” for him in the NFL.

“I think there was a triple bolted lock on the door, and Russell Wilson and Drew Brees have kind of kicked it in,” Manziel said. “It’s got a crack in it. This isn’t being cocky, but I have high ambitions. I’m an ambitious person. I set goals high. I want to completely knock that door off the hinges. Not just let it swing, but kick it down, so it’s wide open.

“I’ve heard it my whole life. I heard it when I was a freshman in high school, when I was a sophomore, junior in high school, getting recruited. It was, ‘This kid is this, but….’ There was always a ‘but’ with me. I go out and win the Heisman as a freshman, but at the end of the day, there’s always a ‘but.’ But the SEC was weaker. But this and but that. But, but, but. There’s always a ‘but’ somewhere in my name — always. I’m OK with that. It’s always been that way. It’s just another day at the office.”
Old 09-19-2013   #683
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 09-22-2013   #684
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Hell no.......This guy has skill no doubt BUT the skill he has is the type that you can win with in college, but it does not translate to NFL success. Plus he is a cocky little bastard and i dont like his attitude.persona
Old 09-22-2013   #685
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

A draftniks view:

Some of Manziel's on field evaluations are tainted by some of his off field shenanigans.

Manziel is a very good college player but he does have his flaws. Most notably is his propensity to run. This should be easy to correct. Manziel has one of the best OL in the country. Too many times while in the pocket with absolutely no pressure whatsoever Manziel will take off and run. It's like he has a clock in his head and regardless of the situation, when the clock ticks 3 seconds the alarm says run and Johnny almost always will. If Johnny can ever correct his propensity to run he will be an even better QB. Just my humble opinion.....
Old 09-22-2013   #686
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
A draftniks view:

Some of Manziel's on field evaluations are tainted by some of his off field shenanigans.

Manziel is a very good college player but he does have his flaws. Most notably is his propensity to run. This should be easy to correct. Manziel has one of the best OL in the country. Too many times while in the pocket with absolutely no pressure whatsoever Manziel will take off and run. It's like he has a clock in his head and regardless of the situation, when the clock ticks 3 seconds the alarm says run and Johnny almost always will. If Johnny can ever correct his propensity to run he will be an even better QB. Just my humble opinion.....

This is where my problem with him ultimately lies. When your game as a qb is highly dependent on making things happen with your legs like his is, you've got a problem when you go to the next level simply b/c you wont be able to run away from pressure as easily up there as you did in college. Once that is curtailed, you become a different player. You see how RG3 looks now that he's unable to run.

And just looking at him as a pocket passer righ now, he's just not any better than any other qb who is better at pocket passing than he is right now.
Old 09-22-2013   #687
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel would be sick in this offense.

Kubiak would draw up some beautiful plays for him.
Old 09-22-2013   #688
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Manziel would be sick in this offense.

Kubiak would draw up some beautiful plays for him.
I'm not sure Kubiak has ever coached a spread pistol hurry up offense. Kubiak has been doing what he has always been doing since he started coaching and that is WCO, the 3-5-7 step drop, 2 reads - primary WR intermediate, secondary WR short and if covered check down to the back and on occasion go deep.
Old 09-22-2013   #689
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This is where my problem with him ultimately lies. When your game as a qb is highly dependent on making things happen with your legs like his is, you've got a problem when you go to the next level simply b/c you wont be able to run away from pressure as easily up there as you did in college. Once that is curtailed, you become a different player. You see how RG3 looks now that he's unable to run.

And just looking at him as a pocket passer righ now, he's just not any better than any other qb who is better at pocket passing than he is right now.
Hater, LOL

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Manziel is 20, you dont think his arm is going to get stronger? BTW, I'm hoping that the Texans dont pick Manziel.
Old 09-22-2013   #690
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

To me this is a stupid complaint about Manziel. Manziel runs now because he can murder defenses with his feet. When he needs to make throws he does make throws. The one thing he'll have to adjust to is his extension of plays. Sometimes he tries to do a little too much, but at the same time this is what I think will make him really good at the next level. He just need to understand how much is too much and when to dial it back.

He's more accurate than a lot of QBs starting in the league now even though he plays in a wide open system. I've seem enough of him to see he can make all the throws though even in tight coverage. His biggest adjustment will be learning to trust his reads and throwing into tight windows of zone coverage similar to what Keenum has had to adjust to. He'd be great in this offense though IMO.
Old 09-22-2013   #691
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hater, LOL

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Manziel is 20, you dont think his arm is going to get stronger? BTW, I'm hoping that the Texans dont pick Manziel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
To me this is a stupid complaint about Manziel. Manziel runs now because he can murder defenses with his feet. When he needs to make throws he does make throws. The one thing he'll have to adjust to is his extension of plays. Sometimes he tries to do a little too much, but at the same time this is what I think will make him really good at the next level. He just need to understand how much is too much and when to dial it back.

He's more accurate than a lot of QBs starting in the league now even though he plays in a wide open system. I've seem enough of him to see he can make all the throws though even in tight coverage. His biggest adjustment will be learning to trust his reads and throwing into tight windows of zone coverage similar to what Keenum has had to adjust to. He'd be great in this offense though IMO.
Nothing wrong with Manziel's arm, he has a Sunday arm, he's accurate, good TD to INT ratio shows a good decision makers on his passes. The problem lies with the clock in his head. It's 1 -2 -3 RUN! Regardless that his great OL has everyone blocked and there is absolutely no pressure , it's still 1 - 2 - 3 RUN! THAT doesn't play well on Sunday's but it is fixable. It's NOT like Tebow's windup and accuracy.
Old 09-22-2013   #692
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Manziel's arm, he has a Sunday arm, he's accurate, good TD to INT ratio shows a good decision makers on his passes. The problem lies with the clock in his head. It's 1 -2 -3 RUN! Regardless that his great OL has everyone blocked and there is absolutely no pressure , it's still 1 - 2 - 3 RUN! THAT doesn't play well on Sunday's but it is fixable. It's NOT like Tebow's windup and accuracy.
To me its nothing like Tebow even from a read standpoint. Manziel actually goes through his progressions despite what it looks like a lot of times. Case in point on that long TD to Evans it was reported last week Evans was his 3rd option. His still needs some polishing there like ever college QB does though. Tebow never showed any kind of ability to go through his progressions and throw the football in college in my view.
Old 09-23-2013   #693
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure Kubiak has ever coached a spread pistol hurry up offense. Kubiak has been doing what he has always been doing since he started coaching and that is WCO, the 3-5-7 step drop, 2 reads - primary WR intermediate, secondary WR short and if covered check down to the back and on occasion go deep.
I didn't say anything about what you posted.

Matter if fact I said "in this offense". Kubiak calls plays based on his qb's strengths. He's said that before. And when he's had other qb's play with more mobility, he's called plays to use that.

I didn't say anything about any spread pistol stuff.
Old 09-23-2013   #694
Rey
Hall of Fame

This offense has some easy reads. When it gets flowing, and the pa is working you get some huge play potential. Wide open receivers and wide open running lanes. This isn't the old Indy offense or the pats offense where the qb is making a bunch if tough reads and throws.

This offense is very qb friendly.
Old 09-23-2013   #695
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This offense has some easy reads. When it gets flowing, and the pa is working you get some huge play potential. Wide open receivers and wide open running lanes. This isn't the old Indy offense or the pats offense where the qb is making a bunch if tough reads and throws.

This offense is very qb friendly.
I like Tajh Boyd for this offense. Quick trigger, he can move and extend plays. He has accuracy issues at times, but nothing that can't be corrected.
Old 09-23-2013   #696
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

it certainly would be interesting to see one of these "running" type QBs in our offence. off first glance i too think it would work really well
Old 09-23-2013   #697
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Young seemed to thrive in Gary's offense.

Young had the same run 1st tendencies that Manziel has.
Old 09-23-2013   #698
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

In games where TAMU has a big lead...they should let Manziel play in the slot just to get some experience there since thats the only place he will be playing in the NFL. (Wes Welker)
Old 09-24-2013   #699
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah but Young set accuracy records for his passing while at BYU. He was both a great runner and a great thrower in college (and the pros).
Old 09-24-2013   #700
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Steve Young doesn't come to my mind at all when I think of Johnny Manziel. The comparisons may be valid based on run first tendencies, but Steve Young was a totally different signal caller and left-handed.

I would compare Johnny Manziel to somebody like Jeff Garcia. Similar size and athletic ability. People said Garcia wasn't good enough to play in the pros after being undrafted, but he ended up playing for seven NFL teams and was a four-time pro bowler.

Of course, Manziel is going to be a day one pick (late 1st or 2nd round).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read