Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2013   #141
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is an 8-8 or worse Texan team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I didn't have a 2nd choice, I don't believe in changing coaches for sake of change, only if there is a better alternative, Harbaugh was and so is David Shaw. Kubiak's decision to hire Frank Bush w/o interviewing one of several successful DC available told me Kubiak commitment to friends exceeded his commitment to excellence. IMHO Kubiak coaches soft. Some of Kubiak's success has come at the expense of Peyton Manning's broken neck and Jeff Fisher's departure from Tenn. Today those teams are much much better, and getting better every year. They have lots of money and no real salary cap problems.

Rick Smith is a GM in the mold of Scott Pioli. When Scott was in New England not Kansas City. Like the way Pioli was Belichick right hand man Rick Smith is Kubiak's right hand man. Kubiak has full control and final say on the 53 man roster, it's in his contract.
Your not always going to get your first choice and you have to fire your guy before you find out who you get. I liked Harbaugh too. So did everyone and he got to basically choose where he wanted to coach. You got to have a second choice or maybe you would of stuck with Kubiak as well?
Old 09-22-2013   #142
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I know you are talking to Lucky, but I will take a crack at that.

Changing the QB is essential. I can't imagine the players have a lot of confidence in Schaub and a change of leadership alone may provide a much needed spark. Additionally, Schaub's play is just not good enough and it's progressively getting worse.
Would you then be ok with going 8-8 & changing QBs every week? Surely either Yates or Keenum will do better than that but worse case scenario...

I'm stubborn & I think this is a Championship team with Schaub. Not so much with the other two. I think McNair & Kubiak think the same way so I'm sure we won't see that change. But if I was positive Schaub could not win the Super Bowl I'd make that change now.

I'd also be ok with the possibility of going 8-8, then I'd know we don't have our QB on our roster today.
Old 09-22-2013   #143
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It's not just the one game. We were outplayed in the SD game, heavily in the first half. Rivers made a very poor throw over the middle of the field that completely changed that game. If not for that, we'd have lost. You can't count on the other team to screw up. We also looked bad against Tennessee.
We just paid that guy a crap load of money. I prefer to call that an amazing play by an amazing player.

Quote:

This really isn't about one game, look at how we played at the end of the year last year. Schaub was terrible and our defense got annihilated by the patriots passing attack. These problems are continuing into this season.
Schaub has not played terribly... Well, not that terribly this year. This is not a continuation of last year.

I'm not saying we don't have problems. I'm saying we've got time to work it out & I believe we have the people in place to get it fixed. Although I do like that idea about trading for a RT.
Old 09-22-2013   #144
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNe7x13q2MU
Shaft75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #145
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Your not always going to get your first choice and you have to fire your guy before you find out who you get. I liked Harbaugh too. So did everyone and he got to basically choose where he wanted to coach. You got to have a second choice or maybe you would of stuck with Kubiak as well?
Not everyone liked Harbaugh. In fact there were more who did not care for him. Many thought he was just another college coach w/ limited experience who would turnout like Petrino or Saban when he was with Miami. I received a lot of negative feedback each time I brought up Harbaugh's name.

There are back channels, an owner can negotiate with a coach's agent without any public awareness and then go through the formalities once a deal is done. If you get your guy GREAT, if not, no harm no foul.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #146
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The biggest problem I see now is that defenses view Schaub as a sitting duck. So, the first change I would make is going with a more traditional WCO. Short passes on early downs with the backs in pass routes further downfield. That would ease the blitzes that Schaub now has trouble with. It would also allow Foster and Tate to get into the open field more.

If that doesn't work, and Schaub still can't avoid mistakes, I put in Yates. Yates has had problems with mistakes in the past, clearly. But, he can at least move in the pocket and avoid the rush. That's killing this team. A more mobile QB would put the PA bootleg back in the game plan.
With Schaub's foot problems, I fear this is as good as it's going to get.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #147
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Would you then be ok with going 8-8 & changing QBs every week? Surely either Yates or Keenum will do better than that but worse case scenario...

I'm stubborn & I think this is a Championship team with Schaub. Not so much with the other two. I think McNair & Kubiak think the same way so I'm sure we won't see that change. But if I was positive Schaub could not win the Super Bowl I'd make that change now.

I'd also be ok with the possibility of going 8-8, then I'd know we don't have our QB on our roster today.
I dont think you can win a SB with Gary/Schaub and every game yr spent on them is another wasted. But I've felt this way about Gary since 2009 and Schaub since his foot injury.

So yes, I'm for giving T.J. and Case a look this season and see if they can be the answer. If not then drafting a QB becomes priority #1. This will never happen due to the brilliant contract extention Rick with Gary's blessings gave Schaub.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #148
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
How can you claim to be objective and completely ignore the problems the defense has had in stopping people when they need to? KJ by himself has already subsidized at least 2 critical scoring drives in 2 different games with penalties and bad coverage.....yet i dont here you railing on him about that like you've been railing on schaub about his pick 6's.

And I can refer to "stretches" too where the offense played well in the 1st 2 games too....The fact that you have to refer to " stretches" says it all about the defense.

Furthermore, It doezn't matter how it happened or how many points they put the team behind... they gave it up and they needed the offense to go get it back...and the offense did it the 1st 2 games...they failed this week.

I'm not " deflecting" anything...there's plenty of the blame to go around.
im not ignoring any problems of the defense just calling your bs where you seem to be passing all the blame to the defense and seem to be rewriting history to make it seem like the defense gave up some insurmountable lead to tennessee and schaub willed us back to victory, when it was actually schaub who gave the titans the big lead.. now today youre focusing on kareem on some ticky tack bs that even the announcers were questioning. a couple of deep plays and PI calls and its on the defense?? defense gave up 13 points.. how is this on the defense at all when your qb stalls twice from 1st & goal and throws a pick6.. i swear its never schaubs fault..
Old 09-22-2013   #149
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you watch the 49ers today?
Saw the Colts put a beat down on them...

I was referring to John Harbaugh, the Super Bowl winning coach, not that blow hard in SF who cant decide if he wants his QB to run or throw...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #150
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you then be ok with going 8-8 & changing QBs every week?
I'd be ok with us seeing what Yates or Keenum have to offer and going 8-8. If we don't make the playoffs, I don't care what our record is. Schaub is simply not going to take us anywhere.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #151
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd be ok with us seeing what Yates or Keenum have to offer and going 8-8. If we don't make the playoffs, I don't care what our record is. Schaub is simply not going to take us anywhere.
we used to call this kind of era as the "Commander Cody" era back in the day.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #152
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess you guys aren't watching the same team I am. This team is not good at all. We can stop the run and we can run the ball. That's all we got. It's not a knee jerk reaction because we are 10 quarters into the season.
we lost 3 of the last 4 last season after starting the season looking like a no doubt SB champion. We have started slow this season which is good IMO. I would rather us hit our stride mid to the end of the season. This is not an 8-8 team.

Every season we see this team drop an egg and yesterday was just that. We will be fine, and as far as Harris goes i thought he did a damn good job yesterday, Newton on the other hand has struggled all season. When Brown comes back Harris needs to take Newtons spot cause that boy is getting beat every other play.
Old 09-23-2013   #153
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
we lost 3 of the last 4 last season after starting the season looking like a no doubt SB champion. We have started slow this season which is good IMO. I would rather us hit our stride mid to the end of the season. This is not an 8-8 team.

Every season we see this team drop an egg and yesterday was just that. We will be fine, and as far as Harris goes i thought he did a damn good job yesterday, Newton on the other hand has struggled all season. When Brown comes back Harris needs to take Newtons spot cause that boy is getting beat every other play.
I don't understand the whole, "it's better that we start slow" nonsense. Sure, you'd like to get better over the course of the season, but the team doesn't need to play poorly in the beginning of the season for that to happen.

Harris was getting beat left and right yesterday. As many penalties as we had, we could have had more. Both tackles were holding on nearly every pass play.
Old 09-23-2013   #154
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand the whole, "it's better that we start slow" nonsense. Sure, you'd like to get better over the course of the season, but the team doesn't need to play poorly in the beginning of the season for that to happen.

Harris was getting beat left and right yesterday. As many penalties as we had, we could have had more. Both tackles were holding on nearly every pass play.
And JJ watt gets held pretty much every play, my whole point is that as bad as we are playing right now, we are still (2-1) and we have beaten 2 pretty damn good teams. We layed a goose egg against the ravens, whoopty doo. If we are bad then Green Bay must be the appitimy of bad.
Old 09-23-2013   #155
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And JJ watt gets held pretty much every play, my whole point is that as bad as we are playing right now, we are still (2-1) and we have beaten 2 pretty damn good teams. We layed a goose egg against the ravens, whoopty doo. If we are bad then Green Bay must be the appitimy of bad.
Does that have anything to do with the play of our tackles? Does JJ Watt getting held determine how often our tackles hold, or does GB's poor defense reflect at all on our team?

I also think our first 3 games may be 3 of our easier games, obviously excluding the two Jacksonville games.
Old 09-23-2013   #156
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Does that have anything to do with the play of our tackles? Does JJ Watt getting held determine how often our tackles hold, or does GB's poor defense reflect at all on our team?

I also think our first 3 games may be 3 of our easier games, obviously excluding the two Jacksonville games.
my point of it is, that holding takes place all the time, and if you watch 2 players closely of course you are going to see them holding a lot, just like if u watch JJ alot you will see them hold him all the time.

And our first 2 games we won looked easy to start BUT look at what those teams have been doing all season so far they are pretty stout.
Old 09-23-2013   #157
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
my point of it is, that holding takes place all the time, and if you watch 2 players closely of course you are going to see them holding a lot, just like if u watch JJ alot you will see them hold him all the time.

And our first 2 games we won looked easy to start BUT look at what those teams have been doing all season so far they are pretty stout.
San Diego is 1-2, beat a 1-2 Philly team by three points. They lost to Tennessee on a hail mary type of throw.

Tennessee is 2-1, beat a poor 0-3 Pittsburg team in an ugly 16-9 game. They beat San Diego on a hail mary play, as I stated.

Baltimore is 2-1, beat a lowly 1-2 Cleveland team 14-6. They got annihilated by Denver.

I would hardly describe these teams as having "stout" years thus far.
Old 09-23-2013   #158
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
San Diego is 1-2, beat a 1-2 Philly team by three points. They lost to Tennessee on a hail mary type of throw.

Tennessee is 2-1, beat a poor 0-3 Pittsburg team in an ugly 16-9 game. They beat San Diego on a hail mary play, as I stated.

Baltimore is 2-1, beat a lowly 1-2 Cleveland team 14-6. They got annihilated by Denver.

I would hardly describe these teams as having "stout" years thus far.
So you say all hope is lost for this team, is that correct ?
Old 09-23-2013   #159
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So you say all hope is lost for this team, is that correct ?
We were talking about the teams we have played, remember? You described them as stout, I just posted their results from the season thus far. Any explanation on why those three teams are being described as stout by you?
Old 09-23-2013   #160
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Room to improve but our schedule doesn't seem to get any better. We have to pull it together after about 6-8 games and go on a streak or we are done. One this for sure, we can't go 3 for 12 on 3rd down conversions and be successful.

3rd down efficiency
3-12

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read