Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2013   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OK, I'm starting to panic

Ok, I'm also starting to lie.

If we were 3-0 and had blown all three teams out by 3 TDs we would be complaining that we peaked too early. Last year we started out 5-0 and its pretty easy to argue that we peaked too early. The year before that, same thing. This time last year the Ravens were 2-1 and the 9ers were 2-1. Neither team looked particularly dominant, meanwhile the Falcons, started 8-0, the texans started 5-0 and we both looked great early in the year.

The bad news is that this team isn't playing up to its potential. People are bitching about Schaub, the OL, the running backs, the DBs the LBs the punt coverage, the coaching and I think somebody pointed out that the grounds keepers at reliant over painted the stripes on the hash marks. Guess what, it doesn't matter. It is easy to point at one player and say "ah-ha, that's the problem" but football is not a single point of failure game. There are 11 possible things that can go wrong on every play and each one of those 11 things has probably an infinite number of miss fires in their little world. Can you blame Matt for throwing the pick six? Sure. Can you blame OD for turning his back on the play and allowing a pick six? Absolutely. You can blame Lechler for out kicking his coverage, or the first 3 guys down the field for overrunning the runner. You can blame Martin for not catching the ball that hits him in stride in the elbow or Dre for dropping a pass that would have given him a chance to get a first down. I can blame KJ for PI in the end zone or JJo for taunting an opponent after making a stop (by the way, that was the most egregious error of the day) or McCain for playing a pretty bad game.

I can get down into the X's and O's and talk about not passing off rushers off or safety's getting caught sleeping. You can look at Matt and the fact that he wasn't accurate today. Last week, even when you guys were hating him, he was making plays all game. He had one big mistake but other than that he was standing tall in the pocket and feeling the situation around him.

Simply put, we didn't make plays. We've had a lot of bad football in Houston, a lot. I recognize it when I see it. Usually discussions about an inherently bad team are about growing in the future. That's not the case here. We're disappointed because this team is under performing.

I get being upset. Football isn't about playing perfect, it is about people making plays that cover up the imperfections. OD should have protected his QB when he made that throw. Winning teams do that. Winning teams get in JJo's face when he's about to do something stupid like get a taunting penalty.

The good news? We have played terrible. By terrible I mean we haven't made plays that we should. I mean we haven't peaked. Last year we probably win this game going away. (Actually we did, in a big way). That was probably the apex of our season. Iron out some deficiencies, tighten up, stop reading your press clippings and start stepping on necks. Panic? Meh, no more than I would be exited if we looked outstanding at this point.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #2
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2934 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OK, I'm starting to panic

For me it comes down to:

Will we be aggressive and attempt to improve the team or will we stand pat?

Unfortunately I think we'll stand pat. You pointed out how the Ravens's were just another team three weeks into the season last year. But they also identified a problem and corrected it with a major move ( firing their offensive coordinator).

We can't even work up the gumption to fire our special teams coach and will still probably be trotting Newton out there in week 16 after wasting another year of Andre Johnson.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

It really just boils down to how well we protect Matt Shaub and how well we put pressure on the opposing QB. So far, not so good. So yeah, there is a reason to worry.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #4
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Ok, I'm also starting to lie.

If we were 3-0 and had blown all three teams out by 3 TDs we would be complaining that we peaked too early. Last year we started out 5-0 and its pretty easy to argue that we peaked too early. The year before that, same thing. This time last year the Ravens were 2-1 and the 9ers were 2-1. Neither team looked particularly dominant, meanwhile the Falcons, started 8-0, the texans started 5-0 and we both looked great early in the year.

The bad news is that this team isn't playing up to its potential. People are bitching about Schaub, the OL, the running backs, the DBs the LBs the punt coverage, the coaching and I think somebody pointed out that the grounds keepers at reliant over painted the stripes on the hash marks. Guess what, it doesn't matter. It is easy to point at one player and say "ah-ha, that's the problem" but football is not a single point of failure game. There are 11 possible things that can go wrong on every play and each one of those 11 things has probably an infinite number of miss fires in their little world. Can you blame Matt for throwing the pick six? Sure. Can you blame OD for turning his back on the play and allowing a pick six? Absolutely. You can blame Lechler for out kicking his coverage, or the first 3 guys down the field for overrunning the runner. You can blame Martin for not catching the ball that hits him in stride in the elbow or Dre for dropping a pass that would have given him a chance to get a first down. I can blame KJ for PI in the end zone or JJo for taunting an opponent after making a stop (by the way, that was the most egregious error of the day) or McCain for playing a pretty bad game.

I can get down into the X's and O's and talk about not passing off rushers off or safety's getting caught sleeping. You can look at Matt and the fact that he wasn't accurate today. Last week, even when you guys were hating him, he was making plays all game. He had one big mistake but other than that he was standing tall in the pocket and feeling the situation around him.

Simply put, we didn't make plays. We've had a lot of bad football in Houston, a lot. I recognize it when I see it. Usually discussions about an inherently bad team are about growing in the future. That's not the case here. We're disappointed because this team is under performing.

I get being upset. Football isn't about playing perfect, it is about people making plays that cover up the imperfections. OD should have protected his QB when he made that throw. Winning teams do that. Winning teams get in JJo's face when he's about to do something stupid like get a taunting penalty.

The good news? We have played terrible. By terrible I mean we haven't made plays that we should. I mean we haven't peaked. Last year we probably win this game going away. (Actually we did, in a big way). That was probably the apex of our season. Iron out some deficiencies, tighten up, stop reading your press clippings and start stepping on necks. Panic? Meh, no more than I would be exited if we looked outstanding at this point.

Mike
Basically ur saying that when the texans start rolling later down the line, it won't matter that Schaub throws a pick 6 bc we will still be up by 17 pts right? As long as MS is the QB, we win no super bowl
Old 09-22-2013   #5
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 8152 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not in panic mode yet, but I am very concerned right now.

I hope AJ and Brown are healthy enough to play next week.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes people would be upset if we had blown the doors off the first three games.

Lmao.

Where do you come up with this stuff.

Folks would be cautiously optimistic. Some would be ecstatic. No one would be upset because we "peaked too early". That's an absolutely ridiculous take.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #7
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 60163 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Blaming OD for a terrible throw thats whats wrong with Houston fans.....always trying to justify Schaubs crap throws
Old 09-22-2013   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yes people would be upset if we had blown the doors off the first three games.

Lmao.

Where do you come up with this stuff.

Folks would be cautiously optimistic. Some would be ecstatic. No one would be upset because we "peaked too early". That's an absolutely ridiculous take.
Yeah, you're right. My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostform View Post
To me it seems like this team has hit its peak to early in the season and is coming off that peak and is now slumping into the playoffs. Blame injuries or whatever but at this rate this is a one and done team.

Im not even sure homefield adv. would even matter right now cuz we just got spanked by the vikings in Reliant. Kubiak and co. better step up their game this Sunday and show us something, because we are looking like an all hype and no substance team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Before the season had started I theorized that the Texans would hit their stride by the 13th or 14th game ideally. You don't want to peak too early in the season and then limp into the playoffs. The last couple of Super Bowls have shown us that the team that gets into the playoffs hot experiences success. Unfortunately, my feeling is that this team may have peaked early in the season even though it didn't look like it because of the blowout victories. We're being found out right now and I wonder if Kubiak has what it takes to overcome these deficiencies. The defensive penalties and blown coverages are alarming and Schaub's play has been shaky over the past 2 weeks. Even the pass protection has been average imo. I think one of the best things to happen in this game was the last 3 mins where Arian found gaping holes and the offense looked like it finally found its rhythm. Winning the division was great today and a nice accomplishment, but from what I've seen over the past few weeks I don't think this team is capable of making a deep playoff run unless the team plays better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Schaub has been money thus far, so I won't say a word about the pass game. I think the run game averaging less than 4 yards a carry is the biggest "problem" right now. There hasn't been much to bicker about when it comes to throwing the ball, but running the football is not top notch currently.

As the season wears on, the run game will get better, and the offense will kill ever more. This is why good teams don't peak in October.
Or maybe.... Oh yeah, I remember having the discussions last year and the year before that and the year before that...

Mike

Old 09-22-2013   #9
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Basically ur saying that when the texans start rolling later down the line, it won't matter that Schaub throws a pick 6 bc we will still be up by 17 pts right? As long as MS is the QB, we win no super bowl
<-- he can't read either.

I said that I'll take a pick six every week if the QB is making plays otherwise. Last week and the week before that, Schaub was making plays in spite of having pressure all game. He was sliding left and right and made several plays as he was getting tackled. Today he wasn't.

Mike

Old 09-22-2013   #10
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Blaming OD for a terrible throw thats whats wrong with Houston fans.....always trying to justify Schaubs crap throws

Nobody blamed OD for the throw. I blamed OD for giving up on the play. Schaub made a poor throw. OD gave up on the play. The first is part of the game, the latter is unforgivable. The throw was in front of OD and he didn't make the play because he turned his back to absorb the hit.

The problem with Houston fans is that they don't actually analyze the play. The problem with "haters" is that they won't accept failure assigned to anyone but whoever their scapegoat is. Go watch the play and stop regurgitating the ignorant view that Schaub is responsible for the pick-six. Schaub threw a pick. It was six because the TE gave up on the play.

Mike

Old 09-22-2013   #11
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Msr
Old 09-22-2013   #12
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Quote:
<-- he can't read either.

I said that I'll take a pick six every week if the QB is making plays otherwise. Last week and the week before that, Schaub was making plays in spite of having pressure all game. He was sliding left and right and made several plays as he was getting tackled. Today he wasn't.

Mike
He's in denial

As long as ms is our QB, we will not win a SB
Old 09-22-2013   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can you blame Matt for throwing the pick six? Sure. Can you blame OD for turning his back on the play and allowing a pick six? Absolutely.
Geez. Now the Schaub apologists are throwing Daniels under the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
It really just boils down to how well we protect Matt Shaub and how well we put pressure on the opposing QB. So far, not so good. So yeah, there is a reason to worry.
Schaub wasn't even pressured on the interception. Flat out didn't look at the coverage. That would be unacceptable with a rookie QB.
Old 09-22-2013   #14
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed ‏@TwentyER 16m
Thanks to the true fan who support there team and players! No matter your city! We human not super human, just blessed withTalent!
Expand Reply
Retweet

Ed Reed ‏@TwentyER 18m
It's football people and it's my life ? My love for the game bc I can smile thru a lost! But not know my heart twitter don't make u a My God
Expand
Quote:
Ed Reed ‏@TwentyER 5m
Ok last 1 do any one remember the game between the two teams last year? Who won? What was the score? And who won the Super Bowl?stay tuned..
Ed says calm down.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Geez. Now the Schaub apologists are throwing Daniels under the bus.

Schaub wasn't even pressured on the interception. Flat out didn't look at the coverage. That would be unacceptable with a rookie QB.
I'm not a Schaub apologist. I'm a Texans fan. I thought the first two weeks that Schaub played well in spite of pressure and poor OL play. I thought that today his play was unacceptable. If you took names and numbers off of jerseys and looked at Schaub in week 1 and 2 vs today they weren't the same player. He didn't move as well, he didn't step into throws and you can't win with Schaub if he plays the way he did today.

The pick he threw today was a bad throw but go watch the play. If you're ok with OD's effort on that play then I don't know what to say. Good teams and even good QBs make bad plays and bad throws. This was much more egregious. OD should have made an immediate tackle (or jarred the ball loose).

Like I said, the pick is on Schaub. The six is on OD.

Mike

Old 09-22-2013   #16
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Blaming OD for that play is like blaming the Titanic sinking on the musicians being out of tune on the side deck. Ridiculous.

Equally ludicrous is saying people would be bitching that we are peaking too early if we had blown these three teams out. You took examples posts from late in the year when the team was tanking. People at that point were speculating on why. One theory was peaking too soon.

That is far, far different then saying the team is peaking too soon during the "peak". It was all hindsight Monday morning QBing. That's what fans do. So ya when the team tanked, people were grasping for straws.

Ya, it's all sunshine and rainbows here. Don't worry that this team should be 0-3 but for a couple of miracle comebacks. It's all good here. Nothing to see. Move along.
Old 09-22-2013   #17
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Ed says calm down.
Thx for that sir
Old 09-22-2013   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The pick he threw today was a bad throw but go watch the play. If you're ok with OD's effort on that play then I don't know what to say.
I don't know what you will say, either. But, I'm pretty sure it will be an apology for Schaub.

The only way Daniels prevents that from being a TD is if he turns around at the snap and sacks Schaub himself.
Old 09-22-2013   #19
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Couple things I woudl disagree. One, Schaub did not play good in the Titans game. He had rather poor ball placement and the receivers did a heck of a job making catches. He was superb against the Chargers but definitely not the Titans. There is a reason he received a negative rating on that one even from PFF.

The pick 6 today...that was not on OD. Daryl Smith came from behind as OD went off his feet (slightly) to make the catch. As OD was coming down and the momentum made him take one step back, Smith was already racing off with the ball. He would have to be Superman to make something happen. It is the very first highlight. Not even sure why you put that on OD

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330922033
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

This is preseason right? Or at least they're playing like it so one more to go then hopefully it will be all good after that. Russell Wilson in the house next week, what a great young QB Texans take notes.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read