Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2013   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OK, I'm starting to panic

Ok, I'm also starting to lie.

If we were 3-0 and had blown all three teams out by 3 TDs we would be complaining that we peaked too early. Last year we started out 5-0 and its pretty easy to argue that we peaked too early. The year before that, same thing. This time last year the Ravens were 2-1 and the 9ers were 2-1. Neither team looked particularly dominant, meanwhile the Falcons, started 8-0, the texans started 5-0 and we both looked great early in the year.

The bad news is that this team isn't playing up to its potential. People are bitching about Schaub, the OL, the running backs, the DBs the LBs the punt coverage, the coaching and I think somebody pointed out that the grounds keepers at reliant over painted the stripes on the hash marks. Guess what, it doesn't matter. It is easy to point at one player and say "ah-ha, that's the problem" but football is not a single point of failure game. There are 11 possible things that can go wrong on every play and each one of those 11 things has probably an infinite number of miss fires in their little world. Can you blame Matt for throwing the pick six? Sure. Can you blame OD for turning his back on the play and allowing a pick six? Absolutely. You can blame Lechler for out kicking his coverage, or the first 3 guys down the field for overrunning the runner. You can blame Martin for not catching the ball that hits him in stride in the elbow or Dre for dropping a pass that would have given him a chance to get a first down. I can blame KJ for PI in the end zone or JJo for taunting an opponent after making a stop (by the way, that was the most egregious error of the day) or McCain for playing a pretty bad game.

I can get down into the X's and O's and talk about not passing off rushers off or safety's getting caught sleeping. You can look at Matt and the fact that he wasn't accurate today. Last week, even when you guys were hating him, he was making plays all game. He had one big mistake but other than that he was standing tall in the pocket and feeling the situation around him.

Simply put, we didn't make plays. We've had a lot of bad football in Houston, a lot. I recognize it when I see it. Usually discussions about an inherently bad team are about growing in the future. That's not the case here. We're disappointed because this team is under performing.

I get being upset. Football isn't about playing perfect, it is about people making plays that cover up the imperfections. OD should have protected his QB when he made that throw. Winning teams do that. Winning teams get in JJo's face when he's about to do something stupid like get a taunting penalty.

The good news? We have played terrible. By terrible I mean we haven't made plays that we should. I mean we haven't peaked. Last year we probably win this game going away. (Actually we did, in a big way). That was probably the apex of our season. Iron out some deficiencies, tighten up, stop reading your press clippings and start stepping on necks. Panic? Meh, no more than I would be exited if we looked outstanding at this point.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read