Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2013   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why aren't we trying to find a kicker?

I'm not for letting Bullock go right now. But if this continues for 2-3 more games then the tale will be told in my mind. (Not Gary's)

Aggies are thick as thieves on this MB. There's always some kind of excuse. I mean y'all are showing Bullock more love than y'all did K.Brown.

I've got my doubts about how bad Bullock was injured last yr. Gary was going to keep Bullock some way despite Bullock being out performed by the utterly forgetable Graham.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #42
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This kick today is essentially at least a high percentage (>85%) conversion. He is expected to make it, not be gloated over for it.

Advanced NFL Stats show the increasing distance conversion percentages through 2011. No reason to believe this stat has not continued its upward trend. The article underscores the importance of having a good kicker.

Kickers Are Getting Better and Better

Which is why we used a draft pick on the kid. Using a draft pick on a kicker is an investment, expecting this guy to be your fg kicker for many years. And one bad game does not immediately thwart the whole damn plan.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #43
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What on earth is wrong with trying out other guys after the display that took place last week?
Because, as a head coach, that would indicate that you're panicking after one game. Something you should consider if you don't want your kicker to think you've already lost confidence in him. Not after just one game.

Edit: And just to be clear, I ain't no stinking Aggie.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #44
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Which is why we used a draft pick on the kid. Using a draft pick on a kicker is an investment, expecting this guy to be your fg kicker for many years. And one bad game does not immediately thwart the whole damn plan.
the plan is to have a player who performs the task that is assigned. If the 5th round pick isn't good enough, "investment" be damned. On Sunday Randy B. did not perform. Is one week enough to blindly cut him? Probably not. but then again, I would have had a generic veteran kicker on the roster this off-season for competition.
Old 09-21-2013   #45
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Fingers crossed for me too.

Graham/Rackers/Kickalicious are available.

You are talking about signing guys that will ensure a loss of 10 yards of field position per kickoff and will struggle to make 50 yard field goals. Realize that Bullock is striking the ball very well... He had the 51 yard on the first timeout... Eventually, missing the 46 yarder off the upright. Earlier in the game, he nailed that 50 yard kick- hitting it so pure that the draw didn't work back into the goal until 5 yards past when it smacked into the net. Literally, that 50 yard miss would have been good from 65 yards.

I am worried as well. But, assuming the worst case scenario is not the way to lead a football team. My guess is that if his struggles continue, they will find a roster spot for a second kicker... similar to what New Orleans did a few years ago with Hartley when he was young and inconsistent.
Old 09-21-2013   #46
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I would have had a generic veteran kicker on the roster this off-season for competition.
The result would be the same... Bullock would've won the job and the Texans would be in the exact position they are in.
Old 09-21-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

You're sticking up for a kicker that hasn't proven squat other then the fact that he's capable of costing a team games...
He won one game... almost cost us another. We don't have any extra roster spots. I don't think anyone wants to waste their time with a charade of a kicker competition.

Kickers get replaced all the time. It's not like they have to learn the play book. If we get to the point where they feel it's time to move on, we'll move on. Right now they feel like it's time to show their support for him, to nurture him.

I can imagine Bullock using that game as motivation for the rest of the season & using it to kick the game winning kick in the Super Bowl.
Old 09-21-2013   #48
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The result would be the same... Bullock would've won the job and the Texans would be in the exact position they are in.
Dale, I just clicked your sig (Texans Bull Blog) and after looking around at three different places all I saw were things from 11 months ago.

What gives? I can come here and find out things faster than most news organizations have it.

I mean no harm or disrespect at all, just wondering why I would want to go there.

(sorry for the hijacking folks! )
Old 09-21-2013   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are talking about signing guys that will ensure a loss of 10 yards of field position per kickoff and will struggle to make 50 yard field goals. Realize that Bullock is striking the ball very well... He had the 51 yard on the first timeout... Eventually, missing the 46 yarder off the upright. Earlier in the game, he nailed that 50 yard kick- hitting it so pure that the draw didn't work back into the goal until 5 yards past when it smacked into the net. Literally, that 50 yard miss would have been good from 65 yards.

I am worried as well. But, assuming the worst case scenario is not the way to lead a football team. My guess is that if his struggles continue, they will find a roster spot for a second kicker... similar to what New Orleans did a few years ago with Hartley when he was young and inconsistent.
This is what I want the Texans to do. Sign a reliable K and let Bullock kick off. This is only if he doesn't improve over the next couple of games. I mean would gaining on kickoffs/ST's be worth cutting Andrew Gardner for example.
Old 09-21-2013   #50
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

2-0.
Old 09-21-2013   #51
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You nor I actually "know" that for sure.
Old 09-21-2013   #52
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
I think it is a hard position to change mid-season (perhaps the most difficult).

you are kidding right?
Old 09-22-2013   #53
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Holliday situation IMO was very different. His debacle was mostly on the blocking fiasco known as his supporting STs. Bullock's position is very much more a one-on-one responsibility position.

For success, with a Holliday, "it takes a village." With a Bullock, the village usually can only watch.
Completely agree, but I think that will be the perception. I wouldn't be surprised if on some level regret for letting Trindon go factors into Kubiak's decision (if there is a decision to be made) on Bullock. We know that Kubiak is a pretty (well...very) conservative coach, and I think that the mistake with Trindon would be small factor for forming future decisions of this nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Keep someone who he knows isn't doing well until he really begins to cost the team. And keep someone because he doesn't want to risk being publicly wrong.

Definitely. That's how to build a winner.
He wouldn't keep him if he caused multiple losses - however I think that the potential fallout might keep him from making a decision earlier.

Kubiak has stuck behind him, because he has to for now - unless you want him to cut Bullock? He has to support the kicker that they've brought in and stuck by, and cut him loose. A mid-season kicking contest would be madness, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
you are kidding right?
It is a difficult position to change - especially from the perspective of a coach (which is what this whole thread is about).

In this case we are talking about one single player on the roster, who does a hugely important job. We have invested a draft pick in this player, which is an astronomical price to pay for a kicker - and creates an investment from the organisation to a player.

Furthermore, even bringing in another player creates mental uncertainty for the kicker, in a position which is hugely dependent on mentality in high pressure situations. To actually change kicker is, in 90% of the cases an in-reversable decision, as teams will only have one roster spot for a kicker.

So now you have a coach who has to make a decision on a player who is performing poorly, but is a rookie and playing on a 2-0 team who has had a large investment placed in him. Furthermore, add to that the job is made or broken on mentality, which is a largely un-calculable skillset until in the heat of the battle. All of this knowing he is going to be lamented if the cut kicker goes on to perform well and equally lamented if he puts faith in the kicker which turns out to be misplaced.

Yeah - if I'm a head coach I'll take putting my backup QB in for a start over having to go through a mid-season kicker replacement any day.
Old 09-22-2013   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
you are kidding right?
Apparently not,

All I know is Fat Randy better start making most of his FG's including the important ones, or the fanbase will turn on him. Regardless whether Gary cuts him or not.

We saw this with K.Brown and it wasn't pretty.
Old 09-22-2013   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

No one should be happy that our kicker missed three field goals in our last game.

However, I think it is a bit premature to think this is a "problem." It's still one game. We expect him to be able to forget a bad kick & come back & drill another 50+ yarder. Didn't happen, that's something he needs to work on.

Then that last kick that would have won the game in regulation... that was some weird crap..... he drilled the first one, but Munchak called timeout. The next one was blocked, luckily their player was offsides.. then Munchak iced him again... 4 kicks in a row.... awkward circumstances..... eh..

At least he experienced some things & he'll be better prepared next time.

Three kicks..... yeah. But it's just one game.
Old 09-22-2013   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

We saw this with K.Brown and it wasn't pretty.
Totally different situation. Brown was who he was by the time we got him.

This might be the motivation to make Randy Bullock the greatest kicker of all time.... (a little hyperbole).
Old 09-22-2013   #57
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Kubiak has stuck behind him, because he has to for now - unless you want him to cut Bullock? He has to support the kicker that they've brought in and stuck by, and cut him loose. A mid-season kicking contest would be madness, to me.

It is a difficult position to change - especially from the perspective of a coach (which is what this whole thread is about).

Furthermore, even bringing in another player creates mental uncertainty for the kicker, in a position which is hugely dependent on mentality in high pressure situations. To actually change kicker is, in 90% of the cases an in-reversable decision, as teams will only have one roster spot for a kicker.
First, bringing in another kicker during the week is SOP in the NFL. It's been done forever. And if the incumbent kicker can't handle that pressure with coaches watching, how will he handle it on Sundays with 70,000 watching?

I'm not saying it's time to cut Bullock loose. But, it's not too soon to bring in some competition if he has another shaky week. Because kicker is far and away the easiest position at which to make a midseason change
Old 09-22-2013   #58
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why aren't we looking for a kicker? Because we don't need one ...

Two games does not a season make.

Kid will be fine.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #59
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33796 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
2-0.
If the Texans reach 3-0 today but Randy Bullock misses another one or two field goals, I would overlook it and still say it's all gravy baby. Winning is all that matters. But long term this better not turn into a real problem. You can't expect to win a Super Bowl or make a long playoff run with an unreliable kicker. The games will become a lot tougher and leaving points on the table is frustrating.
Old 09-22-2013   #60
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Wasnt Bullock like 29 of 33 his senior year? They see him everyday in practice. It was ONE bad game. He has all the talent.

Most likely we cut him like you want and he goes and has a great career for somebody else.

Sounds like another Kubiak is stubborn thread.
Consider the source. This team, FO, coaching staff are all worthless and have always been and always will be. You've heard references of those that will whine and snivel if we win the SB. The OP is exhibit "A".

Only way we'll win another game is if we can sign Cap or Wilson. Oh and Tom Dempsey too. Pffft

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 09-22-2013 at 12:44 PM.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read