Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2013   #161
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

So as most of you would have it.

- remove the schools from the system, which would drop the overall college education rate of people in this country?
- make them go to a farm based system, where money is all that matters.

So in essence you'd have less educated athletes and basically kill a large amount of money that funnels into the college system. This money just doesn't go to the football team it impacts all college athletics, and the schools which in turn allows for better facilities, helping student athletes with injuries, and better overall education for our young adults.

Sounds like a fabulous idea. /sarcasm

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #162
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You are either a non-profit entity or a for-profit entity.

You need profit from the football program to create or maintain other programs?
Shame on you!
You pay a football coach millions of dollars, shame on you!
You're a profit-making machine; the end does not support the mean unless you clearly define all things.
Your bold sentence makes the remainder nonsense. Entities are judged as a whole whether they are for profit or non-profit.

They don't call them non-profit departments although those may exist in either for or non profit entities.
Old 09-21-2013   #163
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127519 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
No, but the football program does pay for the swimming/soccer/tennis/most title 9 programs. Back in the day these programs either survived on their own through alumni donations or didn't exist.

There's alot of pressure on football/basketball programs to produce enough revenue to sustain these other sports. It isn't right, but it is court ordered. Liberal Supreme Court at the time this law was enacted.
yes but these football athletes still dont deserve extra on the side IMO.
Old 09-21-2013   #164
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned but at the end of every year you go into your coaches office and he tells you whether or not you'll have your scholarship renewed. I've seen upper class men have their scholarships yanked. Obviously, that's devastating. These are year deals and not all colleges will be kind hearted and keep you around if you're of no use to them. Not only should guys be paid but they should be able to sell autographs and accept gifts.

There is no argument for competitive balance. 5 star recruits aren't going to holeinthewall state anyways. The schools with the best facilities and the most money are already getting the best recruits. Need to stop pretending. College football is extremely profitable. More of that money should go to the guys actually making it so.
I'm all for athletes making $$$$ off autographis. It's theirs and they should profit off of them. I'm not for changing the baseline. The reason football has to make all of this $$$$ for all of the court ordered non funded sports.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #165
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm all for athletes making $$$$ off autographis. It's theirs and they should profit off of them. I'm not for changing the baseline. The reason football has to make all of this $$$$ for all of the court ordered non funded sports.
No they do not. They are not subject to Title IX at all if they do not take federal funds.
Old 09-21-2013   #166
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No they do not. They are not subject to Title IX at all if they do not take federal funds.
Most colleges must take federal funds then. Because I've talked to people who should know and they told me Football/Basketball support all of the 2nd tier sports.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #167
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Your bold sentence makes the remainder nonsense. Entities are judged as a whole whether they are for profit or non-profit.

They don't call them non-profit departments although those may exist in either for or non profit entities.
I can't say I understand what you're trying to say.
Would you rephrase it please?
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #168
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Most colleges must take federal funds then. Because I've talked to people who should know and they told me Football/Basketball support all of the 2nd tier sports.
I don't doubt they do even where they are not required to do so. It would be a severe competitive disadvantage to only offer football and basketball or I think the schools believe that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I can't say I understand what you're trying to say.
Would you rephrase it please?
You were talking about the system being wrong if football supported something else. Each department doesn't have to be revenue neutral only the school as a whole.
Old 09-21-2013   #169
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian Foster shows me more and more of his true colors. The guy has quickly become one of the biggest attention whores in the league now. Whether he is pouting on the sidelines or trying to get his name out in the news about himself breaking rules, or whatever else it may be on his twitter to garner attention to himself. Maybe his twitter feed has been slow lately, I'm not really sure. The guy clearly doesn't care about the fact that this could potentially effect his school and the present players. He doesn't care about the distraction it can cause the Texans either. Either way, I've seen and heard enough. I hate hearing whiny athletes like this talk like they had it bad in college.

Seriously, you people that actually buy into this crap from college athletes are extremely naive and gullible. These guys are treated like kings on campus. They are rock stars, and get all sorts of perks. They always have. Hell, even the fat O lineman are catching some of the hottest girls on campus. The majority of college students want to know them and hang out with them. They get a ton of extra help to pass their courses and they get a free education. Arian needed food and clothes?? Lol! Arian needs a muzzle. That is what he "currently" needs.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #170
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thing that kills me is all of you people who haven't paid any attention to the last 20 years of moronic skilled athletes that have blown their wad and self destructed with the money they have made as adults. So yeah, lets pay these kids in college!!! Lol! Really?? You guys think that VY who is completely broke now wouldn't have totally ruined his college career has he been paid a lot of money while at Texas? Oh yeah, Maurice Clarrett wouldn't have bought a ton of guns with all of that cash. Yeah, Albert Haynesworth and Chris Johnson would have really stayed motivated had they gotten a lot of money in college wouldn't they.

http://www.munknee.com/78-of-nfl-pla...ithin-5-years/

Yeah, lets forget about the fact that half of these players in college football come from backgrounds in the hood that believe in "ball till you fall" and waste their money on bling and materialistic things. But you guys want to trust these guys when they're only 18??? Man, the idea of paying college football players is dumber then anything our US government has ever tried. I continue to state that Americans are the dumbest people in the world. We have so much history and data and unique ways of gathering information to draw smart conclusions, yet we continually ruin things. Boxing, the NBA, and NCAA basketball have all been ruined by either "guaranteed contracts, corruption involving money with the commissioners, and to much money being offered to young college basketball players that leave the sport way to early." No reason to pay any attention to how increased revenue to the athletes has ruined that though. College football will be different.
Old 09-21-2013   #171
gcates
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respected

I just think Arian is a good RB and has done well for this team, so what he did in college however many years ago doesn't bother me one bit. It's not a felony, he didn't kill or sexually assault anyone. He took some cash while in college...big freakin deal.
gcates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #172
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcates View Post
I just think Arian is a good RB and has done well for this team, so what he did in college however many years ago doesn't bother me one bit. It's not a felony, he didn't kill or sexually assault anyone. He took some cash while in college...big freakin deal.
I wonder if you would feel differently if you didn't root for the Texans and you just rooted for his Alma Matter and they ended up getting sanctioned over this? Obviously Foster doesn't really care if something like that were to potentially happen. He would like his story to be talked about in the media.
Old 09-21-2013   #173
gcates
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respected

But I don't care about the Vols, so I won't get my underpants all bunched up about it.

It's really a non-issue that as relates to the Houston Texans, though some would like to make it one.
gcates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #174
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcates View Post
But I don't care about the Vols, so I won't get my underpants all bunched up about it.

It's really a non-issue that as relates to the Houston Texans, though some would like to make it one.
So basically you could care less what any Houston Texan athlete does or says as long as it doesn't effect his current team? Is there any line that you draw at all or is anything okay as long as they play for "your" favorite team? Glad to know that people stand for something here.

This is like saying well that guy that was drunk last night at a .20 and drove his car home from the bar was just fine as long as he didn't hit me or my family members. He hit someone else, but it wasn't one of us so since we weren't effected I don't see it as an issue.

Sure my example was a little extreme involving drinking and driving, but it's the same concept that I could apply to tons of things. It's a selfish mentality that suggests you have no problem with anything until you or your personal interests are effected by it. Until that happens, life can go on as is, but when it happens to me...............
Old 09-21-2013   #175
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

This is nothing new. College athletes have been accepting benefits for years.

Just one of the reasons why I have little interest in major college athletics.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #176
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Again just what I observed at Texas Tech, full ride scholarhips had free rooms on campus, 3 meals a day in their own personal dining hall, free tuition, free tutors available, free shoes, clothes, backpacks, and other apparel. Not to mention nutritionists, doctors, conditioning coaches, etc.
Your observation is on the money. Do I believe Foster took money from Tenn? YES! For food OR rent? NO!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #177
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Your observation is on the money. Do I believe Foster took money from Tenn? YES! For food OR rent? NO!
That sums up what I think. The story about needing food and clothes sound good, but an average student poor or not will have food or money for food. Depends on the student, but usually mama, auntie, church and neighbors are going to see to it that their local hero will get the care package. I think this would especially be the case if that's all the family has to contribute toward the person's education. Also, a good athlete will need only to show up at many establishments and somehow that check will be taken care of. Now, if clothing meant a new pair of Jordan's every two months, then perhaps a little hush money helped, but that's a want and not a need.

However, in Arian's statement he mentioned choosing between paying rent or buy food. That sounds like he wasn't on full scholarship, and if true, why would it be an issue if someone gave him money to supplement his living expenses.

If I had been in the same situation, I would have thought it best to not share the information, but if on the other hand I thought the world needed to know, I would simply say I did accept the money because it was available and I took it, save the hard luck reason.

Arian is an excellent running back and exciting to watch, but he is beginning to remind me more of Tiki Barber. By that JMHO no one can deny the talent, but the personality is a little unsettling.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #178
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to be of the school of thought that student/athletes taking money was a horrible thing. I no longer believe that.

Many of the problems that we face as a country is due to the combination of ineptitude and gross corruption in our higher education system. A whole generation is drowning in (non-dischargeable) student loan debt for degrees that are absolutely worthless to them. This is because colleges have gone on a spending/hiring binge so they can raise their tuitions to capture the student loan subsidies that the government hands out. (I realize this paragraph belongs on a different board, but it leads into the rest of my thought on the subject. Now, to tie that thought in to the topic: )

The reason there is no meaningful playoff system is the corruption inherent in the structure of major college football. None of the petty lords want to give up their little fiefdoms. And it is no accident that a monster like Sandusky operated out of a college campus. Oversight and accountability are foreign concepts to academics.

Colleges make vast sums off the free labor of athletes. Much of that money funds the gory excess noted above. In the meantime, they want to limit what athletes make so that more colleges, theoretically, can profit off the college football money machine. The UVA's and Kentucky's of the world don't want every major athlete going to Ohio State and LSU, so they have these rules to try to eliminate the athlete's ability to make money. Yes, the kids can get a degree, but most of those who actually manage to earn degrees end up doing nothing substantive with them.

I don't begrudge a kid from a poor background (or, any background, for that matter) doing what he can to make a buck. It's against the rules set up by an exploitative monopoly, but I don't consider it a morally wrong act. If someone wants to give them money, I don't have a problem with them taking it.

Colleges and college sports are moral cesspools. I wish I could quit watching, but I no longer care if a kid is trying to get something for himself.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #179
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's Saturday.

We play the Ravens tomorrow.

Who cares.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #180
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

The arguments that I continue to hear about paying college athletes are so silly to me that I can just as easily make the argument that the college students that attend the school should get some sort of revenue sharing and that they should get paid as well. After all, they are the ones that pay for the tickets to games and make all of this happen right? They are the ones that pay for their tuitions as well and help the school make money. Why can't they get a piece of the pie? Hell, they actually have to pay for classes and actually "go to class" so these professors can get their salaries. Without them there is no football team or revenue to build these giant programs.

Why not pay the alums that dedicate their time, efforts, and income to the school and the program every year? They are the ones that have helped and been loyal to these programs as well. Why not allow them to get some of the revenue too?

I could make a ton of arguments for why so and so need to be paid. However, college football and all college sports has been successful and has grown all these years under the current system where they aren't paid and where they get a free education and college experience. But I guess a free education isn't worth a damn these days to the self entitled.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read