Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2013   #141
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

I'm not weeding through 8 pages of this so sorry if this has been covered.

These guys make so much money for the NCAA and their schools that it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't buy the "They get a free education and room and board" argument either.

Amateur sports is a scam and a way for the rich to make as much off the poor athlete as they can, while they can. I'm not one for conspiracies or for "The man keeping us down", but what goes on in college sports is absolutely disgusting.

A college degree? Seriously? Those kids are there to put asses in seats and sell merchandise. Most of these kids come from poor backgrounds and are being used by the system. One of the reasons I love watching Johnny Football is because of the absolute zero effs he gives about the establishment. There is nothing they can hold over him. What is the NCAA going to do to him? Suspend him? What is A&M going to do? Get rid of him? Nope. He makes way too much for A&M and he doesn't need the money to turn pro because he already has cash to burn. He's the perfect foil to the NCAA and I love it.
Old 09-21-2013   #142
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'd be all over something like this.
Semi-pro leagues like they have in baseball or developmental leagues like the NBA has would work just fine.

Not all of these kids are college material anyway (see Vince Young) why are they taking up a classroom spot from somebody that will actually study and benefit from the education?

Because those guys bring big bucks into the universities that's why. Good luck getting the university chancellors (and the NCAA) to give up all that cash.
In this "minor league" system, the teams can still be associated with the colleges & the schools can still get revenue from the program.... but the players would be employees. They can choose to go to school, or they can choose not to.
Old 09-21-2013   #143
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they should just pay them some reasonable amount that gets them by, but does not make them "highly" paid. Pay them all the same amount also, I think. They should still not be allowed to sell autographs (or anything else) or take money from anyone, except the pre-approved amount they get paid from the school, NCAA, or whoever is the official payer.

I don't think paying these guys $20,000 a year is going to spoil them.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #144
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think they should just pay them some reasonable amount that gets them by, but does not make them "highly" paid. Pay them all the same amount also, I think. They should still not be allowed to sell autographs (or anything else) or take money from anyone, except the pre-approved amount they get paid from the school, NCAA, or whoever is the official payer.

I don't think paying these guys $20,000 a year is going to spoil them.

In the 11-12 school year there were over 450k NCAA student athelets so at 20k each that's over 9 billion so let's figure out where that money is coming from on top of all the other benefits they get
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #145
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
In the 11-12 school year there were over 450k NCAA student athelets so at 20k each that's over 9 billion so let's figure out where that money is coming from on top of all the other benefits they get
Man, could I turn this into a no spin debate about equal pay for women.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #146
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All the more reason to totally divorce college academics from big business college athletics. Go to school to learn. You want to play sports turn semi-pro. Or do like swimmers and skiiers and X-games folks and participants in other second and third tier sports do, foot the bill yourself.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #147
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All the more reason to totally divorce college academics from big business college athletics. Go to school to learn. You want to play sports turn semi-pro. Or do like swimmers and skiiers and X-games folks and participants in other second and third tier sports do, foot the bill yourself.

I would guess if that happend then the graduation rate would tank
Old 09-21-2013   #148
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you saying that is the number of scholarship athletes?
Old 09-21-2013   #149
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Are you saying that is the number of scholarship athletes?

I said NCAA student athelets. I'm not sure there is accurate data on full or partial ride participants. Would you propose only paying those already getting most things for free and not paying for others who pay all or most of their expenses when they are all bound by NCAA rules?

Edit I did find a numer of 140k which would be close to 3 billion a year
Old 09-21-2013   #150
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

College players are always going to get paid illegaly. By paying them legaly all you are doing is changing the baseline. Not to mention the title 9 implications for paying male athletes.

The NCAA isn't perfect, but I can see why the NCAA does things the way they do. Players in the major sports would probably alreadly be getting paid if it wasn't for title 9 implications.

BTW, poor athletes do get Pell grant $$$$$ each semester. When I went to school it was around $1000 a semester. I imagine that amount has gone up. The parties were great when the guys got their Pell grant $$$$ in.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #151
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you propose only paying those already getting most things for free and not paying for others who pay all or most of their expenses when they are all bound by NCAA rules?
I think it would have to examined more comprehensively. The NCAA rules are not the same for everyone. As I have mentioned tennis players can tutor or hold camps to make money and football players cannot. The more restrictions on the athlete, the greater the justification for support of some sort.
Old 09-21-2013   #152
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Yeah, you're right. It isn't like UT brings in 37 million from football. How many students do you think would have to attend to pay that much money? Now throw in the money from the alumni and the football program is paying for a ton of stuff.

Mike
I understand the universities are making a killing, but the football program still doesnt pay for other non athlete students to attend schol is my point.
Old 09-21-2013   #153
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Try more than 70% graduate - Link
ok i gess i should of been more specific, a lot of college athletes dont go pro, i was talking about the superstars who do go pro and make it to the nfl.
Old 09-21-2013   #154
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I understand the universities are making a killing, but the football program still doesnt pay for other non athlete students to attend schol is my point.
No, but the football program does pay for the swimming/soccer/tennis/most title 9 programs. Back in the day these programs either survived on their own through alumni donations or didn't exist.

There's alot of pressure on football/basketball programs to produce enough revenue to sustain these other sports. It isn't right, but it is court ordered. Liberal Supreme Court at the time this law was enacted.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #155
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Yeah... I posted a comprehensive link on #101 on the actual graduation success of football athletes, but some people are going to take the exception as the rule.

I have personal experience with my nephews as scholarship athletes and know even more people who teach at large schools (including Ok State) who tell much different stories than the "all athletes are not real students" crowd.
Where did you get the "all athletes are not real students" from, Arlington?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #156
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly.
Old 09-21-2013   #157
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would guess if that happend then the graduation rate would tank
The ethical way to do it is not to accept non-academic-qualified players to the schools.

Create a farm system for these guys; vocational schools maybe.

Give them a clearer choice, and the universities/colleges don't have to be concerned about unequal treatments of student athletes.

You are either a non-profit entity or a for-profit entity.

You need profit from the football program to create or maintain other programs?
Shame on you!
You pay a football coach millions of dollars, shame on you!
You're a profit-making machine; the end does not support the mean unless you clearly define all things.
Old 09-21-2013   #158
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know if this has been mentioned but at the end of every year you go into your coaches office and he tells you whether or not you'll have your scholarship renewed. I've seen upper class men have their scholarships yanked. Obviously, that's devastating. These are year deals and not all colleges will be kind hearted and keep you around if you're of no use to them. Not only should guys be paid but they should be able to sell autographs and accept gifts.

There is no argument for competitive balance. 5 star recruits aren't going to holeinthewall state anyways. The schools with the best facilities and the most money are already getting the best recruits. Need to stop pretending. College football is extremely profitable. More of that money should go to the guys actually making it so.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #159
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Vitale likens Foster to a prostitute

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d...?ocid=ansfox11
Old 09-21-2013   #160
gcates
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Vitale likens Foster to a prostitute

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d...?ocid=ansfox11
Dick Vitale is an idiot.
gcates is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read