Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2013   #121
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Try more than 70% graduate - Link
Yeah... I posted a comprehensive link on #101 on the actual graduation success of football athletes, but some people are going to take the exception as the rule.

I have personal experience with my nephews as scholarship athletes and know even more people who teach at large schools (including Ok State) who tell much different stories than the "all athletes are not real students" crowd.
Old 09-20-2013   #122
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Back to my previous point, what makes the athlete's struggle any different than any other student's? I mentioned personally knowing students that have had to work and go to school in order to pay for the necessities. They worked very hard, if not harder, than most college athletes I know. The athletes already have many perks. Free food, housing, etc.
Wasn't that a wart on DeVier Posey? He worked and "made too much money" and, well you know the rest. Where's the line? Seems very blurry to me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #123
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Totally classless on Fosters part. If I ever had any doubts about this guy being all about himself, I don't anymore.
Expected nothing less from you. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2013   #124
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
So Arian is a rat.
^^^^
This

Foster doesn't realize if he wasn't able to carry the rock nobody would give a crap what this Pseudo intellects thoughts on life are.

Football players giving thoughts of wisdom/political/or any other thing in life = LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #125
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I dont give a damn who these kids are, our if they fill seats at a stadium. Tell me which is helpful to society. A Doctor, physcologist, Vet, Teacher or a Damn football player ???

And by the way these kids are only "special" because people like us make them appear "special".
Which do you watch on Sundays?

My Doctor, lawyer and Indian Chief buddies are at my house watching the game played by those "Damn football player(s)"!

Old 09-20-2013   #126
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 89177 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If this BS becomes a distraction, I don't like it. If it doesn't, I don't care. I don't particularly agree that a good college football player's education, room and board equate to the vast amount of revenue generated by their play. The biggest issue is what happens to a player who suffers a career ending injury in college. What happens to his full ride and the rest of his life, when he's a cripple, can't work for a living, and lost his only route to an education by being injured?

Since the Olympics accept professional athletes now, what's the big deal about amateur status?

Regardless, there are countless points of view. I earned my education through night courses and distance learning. I held down a full time job, often working 70-84 hours a week. Some have had it harder. My brother worked for almost 8 years getting his degree and he doesn't even work in the field it's in.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #127
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 89177 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Which do you watch on Sundays?

My Doctor, lawyer and Indian Chief buddies are at my house watching the game played by those "Damn football player(s)"!

I could've gotten a degree in Indian Chief? Is that a BA or a BS? Regardless, the headdress would go great with my shirts on Hawaiian shirt Fridays.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #128
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

Foster doesn't realize if he wasn't able to carry the rock nobody would give a crap what this Pseudo intellects thoughts on life are.

Football players giving thoughts of wisdom/political/or any other thing in life = LOL
Yeah because the thoughts of your average person are so profound.

Damn athletes should learn that despite having 1000 microphones a year stuck in their face, nobody wants to hear what they have to say.

And lord knows we wouldn't want to get information from people with actual knowledge - "yeah, supersize the fries for me, but only if you can tell me whether college football players get paid." Mind boggling temerity for Arian to have answered his phone and accepted an interview about college football.
Old 09-21-2013   #129
Allegra
Rookie

Section: 530 - Row J
Rep Power: 0 Allegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respectedAllegra is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
nah he's a free spirit that enjoys tacos.
As long as they're sort of vegan.
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #130
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah because the thoughts of your average person are so profound.

Damn athletes should learn that despite having 1000 microphones a year stuck in their face, nobody wants to hear what they have to say.

And lord knows we wouldn't want to get information from people with actual knowledge - "yeah, supersize the fries for me, but only if you can tell me whether college football players get paid." Mind boggling temerity for Arian to have answered his phone and accepted an interview about college football.
So do you care about AF's opinions on anything other than his current profession? (Playing football)

I mean do you really care if AF got paid in college? Or do you care more if he picks up the blitz on 3rd down against Baltimore on Sunday?

Crap like this is the REASON AF went undrafted. Lets see, in the last week AF has complained about his role with the Texans. Despite the fact that Gary is trying to prolong his career by taking some of the load off of AF, due to the 350 carries AF had to shoulder last yr. The Texans are 2-0 and AF is complaining. (A real team guy) Brilliant!!!!

Also in the last week he basically ratted out his college. Could this be to divert attention from his playing time comments? If AF was half as smart as he thinks he is, then he would know when to keep his trap shut.
Old 09-21-2013   #131
gcates
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respectedgcates is a quality contributor and well respected

This does not change my view of Foster one bit, and anyone who would do a complete 180 on the guy over this is ridiculous. The NCAA makes millions off these kids, so to sit there and act like taking any money is "classless" or somehow morally wrong is just stupid.
gcates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #132
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Might as well separate the NCAAF from the colleges all together. Turn it into a "minor-league" system that it is & pay these athletes.
I'd be all over something like this.
Semi-pro leagues like they have in baseball or developmental leagues like the NBA has would work just fine.

Not all of these kids are college material anyway (see Vince Young) why are they taking up a classroom spot from somebody that will actually study and benefit from the education?

Because those guys bring big bucks into the universities that's why. Good luck getting the university chancellors (and the NCAA) to give up all that cash.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #133
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So do you care about AF's opinions on anything other than his current profession? (Playing football)

I mean do you really care if AF got paid in college? Or do you care more if he picks up the blitz on 3rd down against Baltimore on Sunday?

Crap like this is the REASON AF went undrafted. Lets see, in the last week AF has complained about his role with the Texans. Despite the fact that Gary is trying to prolong his career by taking some of the load off of AF, due to the 350 carries AF had to shoulder last yr. The Texans are 2-0 and AF is complaining. (A real team guy) Brilliant!!!!

Also in the last week he basically ratted out his college. Could this be to divert attention from his playing time comments? If AF was half as smart as he thinks he is, then he would know when to keep his trap shut.
Sure I think he would be an interesting guy to sit down with and have dinner and I would expect the conversation to go beyond football.

No I don't care if he got paid. I think it is systemic. Of course play is the primary concern as a fan of the team.

I thought the play time deal was overblown BS and said so at the time.

I don't consider truthfully talking about violations to be ratting out. It is the system he is talking about and the violations are real. Secret society BS is what aids corruption in any venue whether it be politics, sports, business, etc.

I don't believe "this kind of behavior" was his draft problem. Tennessee went to a RBBC system and he had injuries. I think that is what had his draft stock slip along with some work ethic questions which he has since answered.

No it does not have anything to do with his recent workload comments. He gave the interview months ago and the timing of the release was not his decision. That is just an erroneous allegation.

Last edited by infantrycak; 09-21-2013 at 02:16 AM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #134
BigSteve
waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Foster wasn't a highly sought after recruit.
He only played RB one year in HS.
One of the coaches had to lobby real hard for Fulmer to even watch Foster's tapes; he was the lowest rated RB in that RB draft class for the Vols.

The cafeteria doesn't open all the time.
Between school (he graduated), practice, training, I can see these athletes' need to have their own food at times.
According to Rivals, he was ranked 22nd nationwide. They already had Gerald Riggs (ranked 2nd) there as a starter so I'm sure recruits were not too thrilled to attend Tenn. He also had offers from North Carolina, Oregon, Oregon St., and West Virginia.

You telling me he couldn't afford ramen? The staple of a college diet for most students. It's as if no other student attending college is broke or has a tough time. If colleges begin to pay athletes, you know who is going to suffer? The other 20,000+ students who pay tuition since those costs will be going up.
BigSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #135
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
You telling me he couldn't afford ramen? The staple of a college diet for most students. It's as if no other student attending college is broke or has a tough time. If colleges begin to pay athletes, you know who is going to suffer? The other 20,000+ students who pay tuition since those costs will be going up.
Now we are off into pure silliness. You don't build top athletes on Ramen.

And no tuition would not go up for the other students. Football is a profit center and the expense involved in this discussion is a drop in the bucket. There doesn't even have to be an expense - let them work or let the boosters who happily fork over millions donate funds for player support.

Somehow lost in this discussion is the fact not all players are on scholarship.
Old 09-21-2013   #136
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sure I think he would be an interesting guy to sit down with and have dinner and I would expect the conversation to go beyond football.

No I don't care if he got paid. I think it is systemic. Of course play is the primary concern as a fan of the team.

I thought the play time deal was overblown BS and said so at the time.

I don't consider truthfully talking about violations to be ratting out. It is the system he is talking about and the violations are real. Secret society BS is what aids corruption in any venue whether it be politics, sports, business, etc.

I don't believe "this kind of behavior" was his draft problem. Tennessee went to a RBBC system and he had injuries. I think that is what had his draft stock slip along with some work ethic questions which he has since answered.

No it does not have anything to do with his recent comments. He gave the interview months ago and the timing of the release was not his decision. That is just an erroneous allegation.
Agrree to disagree

1. I wouldn't waste my time
2. Me either
3. AF is being selfih (Pattern?) No big deal to you. A root of the Texans problems of not being able to get over the hump to me.
4. You have problems at college and with the Coaches, then talk about getting paid while you were there after you get paid in the pros
5. He still has maturity problems. IMHO The difference is he just got paid big $$$$.
6. Not disagreeing with you, just want to know where you got this info?
Old 09-21-2013   #137
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who cares. The NCAA is pointless and he's in the NFL now.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #138
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
The article in the OP says he was contacted in February to be one of the folks interviewed for a documentary called Schooled: the Price of College Sports. Someone provided another article that the interview took place shortly thereafter. The documentary is about to come out. The folks making the documentary released the clips which seems like a pretty transparent effort to get press for the documentary prior to its release.

Edit - there were 27 people interviewed for the documentary.
Old 09-21-2013   #139
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I posted this earlier in this thread with a source link for reference...
Quote:
the interview with Foster was filmed sometime this past winter...

Quote:
Add Arian Foster's voice to the growing chorus who believe that NCAA athletes -- football and basketball players, in particular -- should be compensated for their labor. Last February, the Houston Texans running back was approached by the producers for the documentary Schooled: The Price of College Sports.

It was SI.com and/or ESPN who decided to release these clips at this time.

Arian didn't call a press conference about this subject. He was asked what he knew by the producers of the documentary. These quotes are all from the documentary and were filmed during the off-season.
So again, the timing of this "news" isn't on Foster, it's on the sports media. It was SI who decided now was the time to "break" this story a good EIGHT MONTHS after the interview.

Why now? Why not after the season? Why not during that time between OTAs and preseason when nothing much is happening? Why not after the documentary airs in mid-October?
You'll have to ask SI.com to get that answer.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #140
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcates View Post
This does not change my view of Foster one bit, and anyone who would do a complete 180 on the guy over this is ridiculous. The NCAA makes millions off these kids, so to sit there and act like taking any money is "classless" or somehow morally wrong is just stupid.
Folks been at Arian's throat since that vegan ****. 2-3 page thread if Watt or Dre said it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read