Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2013   #61
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Kaepernick or Wilson were a Texan would they be the starting QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Do you not see a difference between Schaub, Manning, & Rodgers?

Schaub, Romo, Flacco.... are the same guy to me. They do it a little different, but in the end..... they're the same guy.

Ryan. I think Matt Ryan is closer to the Manning & Rodgers group than the Schaub/Flacco group. Schaub, Flacco, & Romo are good enough that you aren't looking for a new QB, but you're looking at once in a blue moon odds of winning the Super Bowl with them & Flacco just reset that clock.
Funny you say that about Ryan & he's led his team to the playoffs more times than Schaub but has won the same amount of playoff games that Schaub has....1. he's also put up worse playoff performances.....worse than anything Schaub has done.

As for your 1st question, Of course I see the difference..the most pronounced difference however is their physical tools....which is all anyone ever harps on...numbers wise though, Schaub holds his own & that should be the only thing anyone cares about.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Funny you say that about Ryan & he's led his team to the playoffs more times than Schaub but has won the same amount of playoff games that Schaub has....1. he's also put up worse playoff performances.....worse than anything Schaub has done.

As for your 1st question, Of course I see the difference..the most pronounced difference however is their physical tools....which is all anyone ever harps on...numbers wise though, Schaub holds his own & that should be the only thing anyone cares about.
Funny you should mention "funny"

I don't remember seeing Matt Ryan trip over his own two feet in the play offs.

Might have happened, not saying it didn't. But I don't remember.

I like Matt's numbers. I know they're in line with the elite QBs... but like I said in my earlier post, it depends on how they translate to wins. It's all about context.

I remember watching Jake Plummer in Arizona. I never thought it was him holding that team back. He went on to Denver & had some success. Same thing with Matt. No doubt in my mind that 2009 Matt could have won a Super Bowl had he been on a better team.

Now he's on a better team & I have my doubts... but I'm also hoping 2009 Matt comes back.
Old 09-20-2013   #63
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't remember seeing Matt Ryan trip over his own two feet in the play offs.

Might have happened, not saying it didn't. But I don't remember.
To keep it easy - QB rating

2008 - 72.8
2009 - n/a
2010 - 69.0
2011 - 71.1
2012 - 93.8, 114.8

So last year was his first good playoff year.
Old 09-20-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
To keep it easy - QB rating

2008 - 72.8
2009 - n/a
2010 - 69.0
2011 - 71.1
2012 - 93.8, 114.8

So last year was his first good playoff year.
Great point. Matt Ryan plays well & they go to the NFC Championship game. He doesn't play well & they're one & done.
Old 09-21-2013   #65
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great point. Matt Ryan plays well & they go to the NFC Championship game. He doesn't play well & they're one & done.
He didnt even play that well last year in the playoffs. The Seattle game they won, he tossed 2 picks and made that game way more intersting than it probably should've been as they were losing in the 4th. His kicker and defense bailed him out.

In the SF game he did alot of his damage early and the his offense got shut down in the 2nd half....which is what ultimately cost the the game....
Old 09-21-2013   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
He didnt even play that well last year in the playoffs
So we're back to stats being meaningless...
Old 09-21-2013   #67
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So we're back to stats being meaningless...

we've been over this subject ad nauseum..all im trying to do is point out the double standard fans have with schaub to show that it doesnt matter what metric we use to grade him.....fans will always dislike him and put at least 2-3 others above him based on nothing more than the infallible "eye test"..
Old 09-21-2013   #68
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we've been over this subject ad nauseum..all im trying to do is point out the double standard fans have with schaub to show that it doesnt matter what metric we use to grade him.....fans will always dislike him and put at least 2-3 others above him based on nothing more than the infallible "eye test"..
I think part of the problem is the fact those people know we passed up on the likes of Ben Roethlisberger (Dunta Robinson), Aaron Rodgers (Travis Johnson) and even Joe Flacco (traded down for Duane Brown). All three quarterbacks have won at least one Super Bowl and multiple for Big Ben.

They realize the agony that was the David Carr era and while they appreciate Matt Schaub's effort in what is now his 7th season as a Texan, I think the panic meter has grown to a sense of urgency. We want to see Matt Schaub lead us to the promise land especially while most of us would agree this team is stacked on both sides of the ball.

I think the pressure on Matt Schaub isn't quite what it is compared to what Tony Romo faces in Dallas, but it really should be because of the talent Schaub has. I'd be lying if I told you there was a team out there with more talent than the Texans. I'm not even homering. And even if I could find a few it would be a handful at best, as in five or less.

Injuries aside, there is no reason why the Texans can't win it all this year. It's Super Bowl or Bust in my eyes. I believe a lot of people feel the same way as I do.
Old 09-21-2013   #69
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well said bro. How does that expression go again, something like, "haters gonna hate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I think part of the problem is the fact those people know we passed up on the likes of Ben Roethlisberger (Dunta Robinson), Aaron Rodgers (Travis Johnson) and even Joe Flacco (traded down for Duane Brown). All three quarterbacks have won at least one Super Bowl and multiple for Big Ben.

They realize the agony that was the David Carr era and while they appreciate Matt Schaub's effort in what is now his 7th season as a Texan, I think the panic meter has grown to a sense of urgency. We want to see Matt Schaub lead us to the promise land especially while most of us would agree this team is stacked on both sides of the ball.

I think the pressure on Matt Schaub isn't quite what it is compared to what Tony Romo faces in Dallas, but it really should be because of the talent Schaub has. I'd be lying if I told you there was a team out there with more talent than the Texans. I'm not even homering. And even if I could find a few it would be a handful at best, as in five or less.

Injuries aside, there is no reason why the Texans can't win it all this year. It's Super Bowl or Bust in my eyes. I believe a lot of people feel the same way as I do.
Did those guys win Super Bowls on our team? Because it's definitely not the same thing. What if I told you that I believed Matt Schaub could win a Super Bowl on the Seahawks? It would mean nothing. Also, obviously everyone screwed up passing on ARod, but last time I checked Matt Flynn looked pretty damn good in GB too and has been replaced by nobodies (at the time) everywhere he went after. I don't want to turn this into a ARod is product of the system debate though because I believe he's one of the best regardless, just making a point about different QBs on different teams

As for Matt Ryan the biggest difference is he had monsters at every position, greatest TE of all time. One of the best WRs over the last 8 years, one of the brightest phenoms at WR coming up. And even Michael Turner (until last year) was averaging 4+ YPC and 10-17 TDs a year. This offense means you can't double ANYONE. Schaub just got his chance at this offense with Hopkins in town now opening the field for OD, Dre, and the run game. Through 2 games ( I know this is about to be a stretch ) he's on pace for 5100 yards and 48 TDs. LOL. This is the year Schaub shows he's better than Matt Ryan and everyone else minus the elite 4 (statistically of course).

With that all said, I hear you and agree, this is the year. I had us slated for AFC ship game this year, when it gets to that point just about anything can happen, hopefully Texans Super Bowl.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #70
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well, I just think that Kubiak likes Schaub because Schaub is a "yes man." He will do whatever Kubiak says and wants and is very under "his control." Schaub doesn't try to deviate from his game plan or improvise which is what a lot of QB's have to do now days more then anything. I don't think that Kubiak trusts Schaub to do a whole lot either which bothers me, because if he is going to be your guy then why not allow him to do a little bit more on his own since he has been in this system for a long time and Schaub is a pretty seasoned vet. I think Kubiak has his plays that he likes and he doesn't really like to adapt away from it depending on who we're playing or what the system of the other team's defense is. I think that Gary has his system and he runs that system the way he plans going into a game and he won't deviate from that plan no matter what circumstances are in a game. And Schaub listens, and Gary likes that.

Now, Kaepernick and Wilson are two great talents. But would they have ever gotten a real chance if they were on this team? THere has never really been an open competition at QB for Schaub. Not that there has been hardly anyone to really compete for it until this off season, but I don't think that Gary has any care in the world to even look.
Gary would never take chances like the Harbaugh's did last yr. It's not in Gary's DNA. So to answer your question, no chance in hades of Wilson/Kap starting in Houston.

Gary not taking chances/playing favorites (Coach Joe must Go) is why the Texans will never win a Lombardi under Gary. All of the Texans need to wear their letter jackets to Sundays including BoB/Gary/Rick and Olsen need to wear them too when the team is on the road. Rah Rah LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #71
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Same with Schaub,

Right now the AFC championship game is only a dream for the Texans.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Same with Schaub,

Right now the AFC championship game is only a dream for the Texans.
To be fair, we haven't been one & done. We've played two play off games both last year & the year before.

& Matt hasn't played well. Took Ryan 4 trips to get to the NFC Championship game. Took Flacco 5 trips to get to the Super Bowl, despite playing well.

Hopefully Matt will play well his second time around.
Old 09-21-2013   #73
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To be fair, we haven't been one & done. We've played two play off games both last year & the year before.

& Matt hasn't played well. Took Ryan 4 trips to get to the NFC Championship game. Took Flacco 5 trips to get to the Super Bowl, despite playing well.

Hopefully Matt will play well his second time around.

Thank goodness for those Bengals!

TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
Thank goodness for those Bengals!

The Falcons played the Bengal?

Are you saying if not for the Bengal Flacco wouldn't have win the Super Bowl?
Old 09-21-2013   #75
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

How many times can you guys discuss the same tired, stupid ****?

Good grief. Schaub is our quarterback. Kaepernick isn't. Wilson isn't. Ryan isn't.

If you want them to be your quarterback go root for San Francisco, Seattle, or Atlanta.

It's beyond beating a dead horse by this point. Every single thread devolves into this bull**** discussion about Schaub. Be more pathetic, why don't we.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #76
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
How many times can you guys discuss the same tired, stupid ****?

Good grief. Schaub is our quarterback. Kaepernick isn't. Wilson isn't. Ryan isn't.

If you want them to be your quarterback go root for San Francisco, Seattle, or Atlanta.

It's beyond beating a dead horse by this point. Every single thread devolves into this bull**** discussion about Schaub. Be more pathetic, why don't we.
You were not forced to enter the thread.

It's an interesting topic and subject considering the fact that a lot of people believe that neither would be starting over Schaub. It brings up the question of how long of a leash will Schaub ultimately have and at what consequences? Maybe you think Schaub can lead us to a SB. I don't think it's impossible, but I think we'd have to win in spite of Schaub as opposed to it being because of him. I like Schaub and have defended him here and there over the last two seasons, but I can't for the life of me at this point feel like he can make big play after big play that I see SB winning QB's make on their entire run to the SB. I'd love to be wrong, but I I've seen enough to have a conclusive opinion on this matter. I just wonder how long it takes before Kubiak allows others to compete for the job.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I like Schaub and have defended him here and there over the last two seasons, but I can't for the life of me at this point feel like he can make big play after big play that I see SB winning QB's make on their entire run to the SB. I'd love to be wrong, but I I've seen enough to have a conclusive opinion on this matter. I just wonder how long it takes before Kubiak allows others to compete for the job.
What did you think of the defense giving up 41 points a second time to the Patriots?

What did you think of Arian's inability to pick up first downs, or DBrown's inability to block it for him?

Are they also on a short leash?
Old 09-21-2013   #78
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What did you think of the defense giving up 41 points a second time to the Patriots?

What did you think of Arian's inability to pick up first downs, or DBrown's inability to block it for him?

Are they also on a short leash?
Really off the wall questions here. Arian and Brown were both elite level players at their position. Schaub wasn't. Schaub had looked like crap ending the season and his immobility for years has hurt the team in certain situations especially last season.

Brown and Arian were the least of our problems and Arian had a pretty good playoff. Trying to compare those 3 as if they had the same value at their position is a silly question that I am not surprised you of all people would attempt to ask.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #79
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You were not forced to enter the thread.

It's an interesting topic and subject considering the fact that a lot of people believe that neither would be starting over Schaub. It brings up the question of how long of a leash will Schaub ultimately have and at what consequences? Maybe you think Schaub can lead us to a SB. I don't think it's impossible, but I think we'd have to win in spite of Schaub as opposed to it being because of him. I like Schaub and have defended him here and there over the last two seasons, but I can't for the life of me at this point feel like he can make big play after big play that I see SB winning QB's make on their entire run to the SB. I'd love to be wrong, but I I've seen enough to have a conclusive opinion on this matter. I just wonder how long it takes before Kubiak allows others to compete for the job.
I agree, i cant see him willing us single-handedly to the super bowl....that kind of stuff is reserved for the elite and i think everyone agrees he's not elite, despite what Solomon Wilcots may think..

what i dont understand however is why does it have to be one or the other in regards to the bolded in your post with most fans? Why does everyone think its so far fetched for him to get us to a super bowl by simply pulling his own weight, relying on the rest of his team to handle their business while he makes his share of plays here and there when he's called upon? This is something i can easily see him being able to do b/c if for no other reason, this is how we're built as a team; we simply dont ask our Qb to do alot. Furthermore we're not going to get to a super bowl anyway if every faucet of this team isn't on point anyway.

Noone has a problem with our run 1st philosophy where we dont rely on the qb to do too much.....until it fails, then everyone expects Schaub to come in and save the day...each time he fails, they put the blame solely on him instead of looking at the reasons why we had to depart from our philosophy in the 1st place. The reality of it is is that super bowls largely are won by those teams who can best stay within their philosophy. And when we're clicking on all cylinders, we're we're running the ball well and eating clock....that doesnt require a whole lot from Schaub. All i'm really saying is that you cant really blame a guy for coming up short sometimes when he's forced to perform in a manner that he's not normally asked to perform.
Old 09-22-2013   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Really off the wall questions here. Arian and Brown were both elite level players at their position. Schaub wasn't. Schaub had looked like crap ending the season and his immobility for years has hurt the team in certain situations especially last season.

Brown and Arian were the least of our problems and Arian had a pretty good playoff. Trying to compare those 3 as if they had the same value at their position is a silly question that I am not surprised you of all people would attempt to ask.
Silly me. I thought "everyone" was complaining about Arian falling down with minimal contact & his 4.4 & 4.1 ypc in the play offs is nice, it's not elite.

Schaub had a 90.6 passer rating, 66% completion, 343 yards & 2 TDs... not elite, but better than a 4.1 ypc day by a running back.

We needed Arian to have a great day, we needed the defense to have a great day, we needed Schaub to have a great day... none of that happened.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read