Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2013   #81
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Totally classless on Fosters part. If I ever had any doubts about this guy being all about himself, I don't anymore.
You'll have to explain your logic here. It went right past me. He's out of school. He's making money. This interview was conducted during the off-season. His message is that the students playing now should have some means to make supplimental money. He's not asking for back pay from Tennessee. He's talking about the kids who are there now. So how is this "all about himself"??

And if you can't explain it to me then you don't have an argument.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #82
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Sure, if you want these kids to get a stipend, I'm all for it as long as they eliminate the full-ride, housing, meal plan, etc. In that sense, I'm sure the benefits they receive outweigh any stipend they'll be receiving from the university.
Then those kids will just go to a university where that stipend pays all their bills and then some. Trust me, there will be some bidding for the high school blue chippers.

Just like in the real world, you'll go for the company that provides the best pkg of salary and benefits.
Old 09-20-2013   #83
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Totally classless on Fosters part. If I ever had any doubts about this guy being all about himself, I don't anymore.
There's the affirmation I was looking for. Now there is not one doubt I'm on the right side of this. Thanks IDEXAN!
Old 09-20-2013   #84
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Then those kids will just go to a university where that stipend pays all their bills and then some. Trust me, there will be some bidding for the high school blue chippers.

Just like in the real world, you'll go for the company that provides the best pkg of salary and benefits.
Then you'll have universities like UT win every year. Sounds like a monopoly to me, and doesn't sound very entertaining.

I really doubt that stipend would be able to cover tuition and costs. My cousin just graduated from USC, and total cost of attending that university now is over 60k. I really doubt a university will be able to provide that many players with that kind of money.
Old 09-20-2013   #85
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Athletes also don't have to pay $60k a year for tuition and costs.
Neither does anyone else on scholarship and as ObsiWan points out that includes non-athletes (for instance coincidental to his comment, I had a full ride physics scholarship to UT).

Quote:
Sure, if you want these kids to get a stipend, I'm all for it as long as they eliminate the full-ride, housing, meal plan, etc. In that sense, I'm sure the benefits they receive outweigh any stipend they'll be receiving from the university.
Why? You are missing the whole point of scholarships which is to have the person focus on the subject (including athletics) which the school is encouraging.
Old 09-20-2013   #86
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You'll have to explain your logic here. It went right past me. He's out of school. He's making money. This interview was conducted during the off-season. His message is that the students playing now should have some means to make supplimental money. He's not asking for back pay from Tennessee. He's talking about the kids who are there now. So how is this "all about himself"??

A provocative, controversial remark that was obviously designed to attract wanted attention to himself which will lead to very unwanted, very negative attention upon the U. of Tenn. I dunno how much damage might happen to the school, but it might very well be substantial and result in a reduced ability to fund scholarships in the future, so Foster is in effect probably hurting those potential future student-athletes he claims to be sympathetic for.
Plain and simple, he's all about Arian.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #87
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Actually he sounds like someone pointing out the hypocrisy in the situation. Football players are the cash cow of the NCAA schools. Within the past month, the NCAA has finally agreed to stop selling jerseys that correlate to certain players. They only did this in light of the Manziel situation.
Without a doubt, football programs bring the money. And they are usually the only athletic department to make a profit for any given university.

So get rid of Title 9, stop paying for overpriced educations for many guys that are going through the motions, and just turn the whole thing into a farm system where these guys have to still "go to classes" (make 'em simple, like balancing a checkbook, life skills sort of thing) and pay them what they are due as the entertainers they are at the end of the day.

So a "student athlete" can make a choice: get paid money for their football services and take some basic classes so they are not complete idiots - OR - get a full ride scholarship that covers the education, housing, training, and meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Sure, as long as the University is run as a non-profit and distributes the gains accordingly. If not, start giving them a stipend and make a big part of this issue go away.
Stipend for only football players? Or all student athletes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Students who get jobs for money get ... money.

Athletes who work a whole extra job do not.

I wasn't suggesting they get paid by the university but how about make the rules the same for all student athletes? If they can teach in the summer time or outside of football season then let them just like tennis players.
You make a great point. I have no problem with these college athletes having the same rules to work as any other student.

And honestly, I don't have a problem if a college star wants to capitalize on his stardom, because we all know the NFL is not guaranteed and a great college player can often end up a bust in the pros.
Old 09-20-2013   #88
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Then you'll have universities like UT win every year. Sounds like a monopoly to me, and doesn't sound very entertaining.
And the major programs, UT/Alabama/USC/LSU/Ohio State/Michigan (need I go on?) don't do that now???

please
Old 09-20-2013   #89
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Regular students pay ungodly amounts of money just to attend college, most have part time jobs, and stuck paying off student loans for years. So unless the university is going to give money to every student, they dont need to give any to athletes. They arent special
Old 09-20-2013   #90
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Now you should know better. It is still a taxable event but these guys aren't making enough money for that to result in a tax owed.

That would be a great complaint IF he spoke during the season. But he didn't. This interview was done months ago during the off-season.

Here is something else to consider. Football by far makes the most money of all the sports. For some reason there are inconsistent rules for NCAA scholarship athletes and football is by far the most restricted. For example a scholarship tennis player or swimmer can give lessons and it is perfectly fine. I believe they can also appear in exhibition matches and be paid to do so (I may be wrong on that one but pretty sure on the lessons). But Arian or Johnny Football can't hold a football camp and make money of it or individual lessons. Why?

As for doing it before retiring, well now is when his soapbox is biggest. Think about the gay athlete discussions and people coming in and saying "see they never say anything until they are out of the league. Just a washed up former player trying to stay in the news." It is also relatively recent. If he waits until he is no longer a star and 10 years have passed folks will discount it saying well that was a decade ago.

They aren't 1099'd for the benefits so it wouldn't really matter what they made a year. Johnny football could have 50k in income from his investments and his college benefits wouldn't factor into his taxes.

Here is an interesting article on the topic
http://m.thinkadvisor.com/2013/08/27...uldnt-get-paid
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
They aren't 1099'd for the benefits so it wouldn't really matter what they made a year. Johnny football could have 50k in income from his investments and his college benefits wouldn't factor into his taxes.

Well here is another article - Link

So parts are tax free and parts, including room and board, are not.
Old 09-20-2013   #92
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post

Didn't read the link, but room and board is taxable. It is reported on 1098-T which shows tuition billed and scholarships received. Unless you can show you had qualified out of pocket expenses, you pay tax on the difference.

Interestingly any scholarship received in exchange for services is supposed to be completely taxable. I guess sports don't count.
Old 09-20-2013   #93
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
As I said above, I was just going off the guy's quote. I have no idea how his or any scholarship worked. Either way, I honestly don't have a problem with him or any athlete taking money. It's a position on which my stance has evolved, because college football is a business, plain and simple. In no other business are you told you're going to be paid with something that you may not want (in fact, this is the genesis of currency in civilization). You render a service and you get paid in money that can be converted to whatever other good or service you desire. Otherwise, you'd only do work for people who can pay you precisely the good you are looking for. This week, I'll go work for Farmer Brown so I can get some eggs!

The entire NCAA system is complete BS. Separate the football from education and pay the kids. Then they might be able to afford your overpriced education on their own. And that's another thing - hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?!?! That too is BS.

I am going to go drink some chai tea and meditate now.
While this is true, as the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush & these kids don't have the foresight to see that. That free education they're being offered but don't want will pay for itself 10 fold once their careers are over........ if they go ahead & graduate that is. to To be honest, They're really getting more than that when you sit & think about it. Universities have to feed, house and take care of these kids medically while they are there. That easily runs into the10's of thousands over a 4 year period...So the university rakes in a few million a year...that gets eaten up pretty fast taking care of 53 man roster on a football team, basketball team, baseball team & whatever else team the university may have.

Now while guys like Johnny Manziel might ultimately be losing money in this regard, that 3rd string punter on the same team is actually running a deficit for the university b/c i'm damn sure nobody is there to see him play or are offering him money & endorsement deals. & there are way more 3rd string punter student athlete types than there are Johnny Manziel mega star athlete types. Then once you factor in how uneven the money is from sport to sport (football vs any other college sport), The potential for inequities between mens and womens sports which i'm pretty sure is a violation of title IX, its just turns into a big mess.

So bottom line for me, i don't feel sorry for any of these guys talking about paying rent & having to buy food. Those are problems that they create for themselves, they don't have to have those problems. Stay in the damn dorms and eat on the meal plans the schools offer you if you can't afford to do anything else...Tired of hearing the excuses these dudes have for doing something they know they shouldn't be doing.

Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
That's an absolute joke. We all know a large percentage of these players are not passing college level curriculum. Vince Young's Wonderlic score would suggest that he is not literate and yet he has a degree from a prestigous university.
And that's a big flaw in the system right there.
They are not giving a good number of these guys a educational scholarship.
Those guys are there to play football only; they are not really students.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #95
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Because he is whining that a long-employed man has a better car than he does.
What's your gig man? Just hatin' on Foster? I've not really read anything in any of your posts that indicate otherwise.

I really think you don't get it by the lame comments you've made here.

Just me maybe?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #96
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Regular students pay ungodly amounts of money just to attend college, most have part time jobs, and stuck paying off student loans for years. So unless the university is going to give money to every student, they dont need to give any to athletes. They arent special
How many "regular students" do you see 70,000 - 100,000 paying customers filing into enormous stadiums so they can watch those students study history or economics or engineering or law?

How many of those "regular students" have ESPN or Fox Sports or the major networks camping out in their labs or classrooms or study halls so they can broadcast closeups and slo-mo's of them writing term papers or conducting lab experiments...??

How many of those "regular students" have whole segments of this very msg board dedicated to watching their every performance or reviewing their every test score so they can predict which corporate firm will "draft them"?

Not special??

I'm guessing you forgot the sarcasm smiley didn't you?
Old 09-20-2013   #97
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 24388 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many "regular students" do you see 70,000 - 100,000 paying customers filing into enormous stadiums so they can watch those students study history or economics or engineering or law?

How many of those "regular students" have ESPN or Fox Sports or the major networks camping out in their labs or classrooms or study halls so they can broadcast closeups and slo-mo's of them writing term papers or conducting lab experiments...??

How many of those "regular students" have whole segments of this very msg board dedicated to watching their every performance or reviewing their every test score so they can predict which corporate firm will "draft them"?

Not special??

I'm guessing you forgot the sarcasm smiley didn't you?
LOL, as I was reading quickly and came to the question of say, what? Goodness, there is a university here in Texas with their own network. I don't think anyone has to guess there the money came from.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It was SI.com and/or ESPN who decided to release these clips at this time.

Arian didn't call a press conference today about this subject. He wasn't even answering questions in recent history (during this season) as TK and HouTex have asserted. These quotes are all from the documentary and were filmed during the off-season.

So slow your roll. The timing isn't on Foster, its on the media.
I did not assert he did this during the season. Whether last offseason, or next, I don't like it. The biggest reason I am against this is that it's going to cause some college student to lose his ride, or eligibility because I believe the NCAA is going to be forced to crack down on it.

It sucks, but Cam Newton, Reggie Bush, & Arian Foster figured out how to get away with it & looking at Cam, it wasn't easy.

Something needs to be done..... maybe, but I don't feel like Arian should be doing it.

'cak makes a good point. His popularity may be the thing that gets something rolling. The fact that Tennessee is already screwed... probably does make it perfect timing for him to say something.

But I don't like it. Still would have liked it more (still not liking it) if he brought this up after being named Super Bowl MVP in February 2014.
Old 09-20-2013   #99
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

He told his coach, "Buy me & my boys some Tacos, or I'm going to do something stupid."

I don't know what the rules are. I don't like the current system, but I think he just "ruined" it for the guys who need the money & are getting it now.

If he truly felt he "needed" to do something about it I think he's smart enough to do it in a way better than this.
Old 09-20-2013   #100
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rate...Bowl_Study.pdf

For those who like facts instead of pre-existing notions...and remember these graduation rates are for bowl teams which means most of the so-called "football' factories are represented.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read