Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2013   #61
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Time doesn't stand still, Hou-Tex.
And different programs have different requirements.
My two nieces, for example, swim competitively since they were eight, and they have had very little social time. They swim or practice 4-5 hours a day, seven days a week. Without their mom's full-time dedication, they can go hungry at times.
The older one just got a 75% scholarship to a small college in NY.
Offers from other programs were less.

Like Obsi said, everybody's situation is unique.

And these guys also have to perform both on the field and in the class room to maintain their scholarships, unless there are major unethical conducts by the schools.

I don't know whether Foster is not smart about this or not.
Sometimes, the system needs a major shake-up to make the necessary changes.
It happens all the time in real life.
The bold is why I'm on Arian's side.
Old 09-20-2013   #62
escrimador
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 escrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, good for him I guess, for trying to make a change by speaking out. Otherwise, I see nothing really to complain about.
escrimador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy72 View Post
Bloody hell; why the hate for #23? He just came out and told the truth.
Because if you tell your coach he has to feed you or you are going to do something stupid as in go to alumni or sell you autograph and you are too lazy or whatever to go to cafeteria for free food.... It isn't hate I have, it is he could have used his NFL position to bring light on college players more productively.
Old 09-20-2013   #64
CeeQue
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 CeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respectedCeeQue is a quality contributor and well respected

College athletes should be paid... or offer them a free education after they're no longer eligible to play collegiate sports so they can fully dedicate their time in pursuing a degree that will get them a job.

I graduated with a Chemical Engineering degree... worked my arse off to get it. I wouldn't have been able to if I was a starting college football player at the same time.
CeeQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Foster wasn't a highly sought after recruit.
He only played RB one year in HS.
One of the coaches had to lobby real hard for Fulmer to even watch Foster's tapes; he was the lowest rated RB in that RB draft class for the Vols.

The cafeteria doesn't open all the time.
Between school (he graduated), practice, training, I can see these athletes' need to have their own food at times.
But what a year it was:

Foster competed in football at Mission Bay Senior High School, where he initially played as a linebacker, but became a full-time running back in his senior year. He was Mission Bay's featured running back that year, and led San Diego County in all-purpose yards with 2,500 while compiling 2,093 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns in addition to six scores on kickoff returns.[4] In a game against Clairemont, Foster ran for 321 yards and for his efforts, he was named San Diego Union Tribune All-San Diego Western League Player of the Year, received All-West Region appointment by PrepStar, and also earned All-California Interscholastic Federation honors.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arian_Foster
Old 09-20-2013   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
The bold is why I'm on Arian's side.
There have been so many fundamental "wrongs" with this amateur system for the longest time.

At the lowest level, for example - even though the practice doesn't seem to be as widespread as it used to be; football and basketball players were given passing grades, unless they were simply so bad.

This doesn't help them in college. Many of them don't have the educational fundamentals to learn much of anything at the next level.
Tutoring isn't going to help.

Some call that an amateur system; I call it a broken system.
The whole system has been financed my money-making machines from the professional level down; Too many propagandas that help propagate a culture of apathy among us all. Some get caught in the possibility of glory such that they may not think long and hard enough about the long-term effect.

It's a clear exploitation of the amateurs for profit without regards for their well-beings.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #67
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
What are you talking about taxes on your books for? If my company provided housing for me it would be a taxable event however athletes in this situation get it for free and do not have to pay income tax on that benefit
Now you should know better. It is still a taxable event but these guys aren't making enough money for that to result in a tax owed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree with thunderkyss' earlier point. Why NOW? Why talk about this stuff during the season when it will become a potential distraction for Arian and the team?
That would be a great complaint IF he spoke during the season. But he didn't. This interview was done months ago during the off-season.

Here is something else to consider. Football by far makes the most money of all the sports. For some reason there are inconsistent rules for NCAA scholarship athletes and football is by far the most restricted. For example a scholarship tennis player or swimmer can give lessons and it is perfectly fine. I believe they can also appear in exhibition matches and be paid to do so (I may be wrong on that one but pretty sure on the lessons). But Arian or Johnny Football can't hold a football camp and make money of it or individual lessons. Why?

As for doing it before retiring, well now is when his soapbox is biggest. Think about the gay athlete discussions and people coming in and saying "see they never say anything until they are out of the league. Just a washed up former player trying to stay in the news." It is also relatively recent. If he waits until he is no longer a star and 10 years have passed folks will discount it saying well that was a decade ago.
Old 09-20-2013   #68
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
This. His whining almost seems like a plea for attention. Not getting enough playing time? Okay, let's make a fuss about it. Wait, they aren't reacting the way you wanted, Arian? OK, then talk about getting paid at the NCAA level. He needs to focus on getting his game back up because his sub 4 ypc average really sucks.
It's a documentary featuring numerous others affiliated with college sports. I would imagine the interview took place several months ago.
Old 09-20-2013   #69
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Like the concussion situation..............nothing will change without a class action suit..........don't ask me how they approach that, but there are some pretty crafty lawyers out there that are probably thinking about it as I speak.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #70
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And these guys also have to perform both on the field and in the class room to maintain their scholarships, unless there are major unethical conducts by the schools.
That's an absolute joke. We all know a large percentage of these players are not passing college level curriculum. Vince Young's Wonderlic score would suggest that he is not literate and yet he has a degree from a prestigous university.
Old 09-20-2013   #71
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.DuB View Post
I rarely ever comment but I just wanted to comment on some of the things said..

College athletes do get a lot of free benefits (gear, food M-F, education, tutors, books ect...)

But to say that some dont need extra money to survive is kind of foolish. A lot of people on here claim to have played ball or know someone who has and If that is true, you should know that Student-Athletes need a little extra money on the side for food and incidental things we take for granted (soap, deo, underwear ect...). The school does not pay for these things. Yes all athletes get free food at the dining halls but they dont have time to go there all the time. These guys are up at 5-6 am for practice, then they go to school, then some of them study, and then more practice.. There is not time for a lot of trips to the dining hall. Most of them take in a high amount of calories so they need extra food in their dorms/apartments to supplement what they eat at the dining halls. Also, every school is different and some athletes are allowed to live off campus after they reach a certain classification (Jr or Sr at my school). So maybe Arian lived off campus and ran out of FinAid money for rent (happened to me twice). We dont know Arian's situation but if he was as poor as he has stated before (MANY college athletes come from poor families) then I can completely understand why he took money.
Back to my previous point, what makes the athlete's struggle any different than any other student's? I mentioned personally knowing students that have had to work and go to school in order to pay for the necessities. They worked very hard, if not harder, than most college athletes I know. The athletes already have many perks. Free food, housing, etc.
Old 09-20-2013   #72
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Arian have a child in college?
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #73
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That would be a great complaint IF he spoke during the season. But he didn't. This interview was done months ago during the off-season.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not realize this was an off-season interview.

Quote:
Here is something else to consider. Football by far makes the most money of all the sports. For some reason there are inconsistent rules for NCAA scholarship athletes and football is by far the most restricted. For example a scholarship tennis player or swimmer can give lessons and it is perfectly fine. I believe they can also appear in exhibition matches and be paid to do so (I may be wrong on that one but pretty sure on the lessons). But Arian or Johnny Football can't hold a football camp and make money of it or individual lessons. Why?

As for doing it before retiring, well now is when his soapbox is biggest. Think about the gay athlete discussions and people coming in and saying "see they never say anything until they are out of the league. Just a washed up former player trying to stay in the news." It is also relatively recent. If he waits until he is no longer a star and 10 years have passed folks will discount it saying well that was a decade ago.
There was a USA Today (iirc) article awhile back that said something like only 7 college football program actually made a net profit.

Obviously huge coaching salaries are part of the expense.

But also, isn't Title 9 a big part of the equation here?

If the NCAA opens the floodgates to pay football players, I have no doubt someone will take it to court to pay ALL college athletes. And while it can be argued that football brings the revenue so those athletes should reap the rewards (beyond free school, food, housing, etc.), the same logic of Title 9 will most likely be applied to all sports.
Old 09-20-2013   #74
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
"#Texans' Arian Foster said it's not fair that #NCAA officials have BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes and players don't get paid for anything."

Now he just sounds like a little b i tch.
Actually he sounds like someone pointing out the hypocrisy in the situation. Football players are the cash cow of the NCAA schools. Within the past month, the NCAA has finally agreed to stop selling jerseys that correlate to certain players. They only did this in light of the Manziel situation.

Quote:
I have no problem with paying college athletes.

Just make them pay their own way through school if they are going to do it.
Sure, as long as the University is run as a non-profit and distributes the gains accordingly. If not, start giving them a stipend and make a big part of this issue go away.
Old 09-20-2013   #75
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now you should know better. It is still a taxable event but these guys aren't making enough money for that to result in a tax owed.

You beat me to it, I-Cak. This documentary...

was filmed sometime this past winter...

Quote:
Add Arian Foster's voice to the growing chorus who believe that NCAA athletes -- football and basketball players, in particular -- should be compensated for their labor. Last February, the Houston Texans running back was approached by the producers for the documentary Schooled: The Price of College Sports.

It was SI.com and/or ESPN who decided to release these clips at this time.

Arian didn't call a press conference today about this subject. He wasn't even answering questions in recent history (during this season) as TK and HouTex have asserted. These quotes are all from the documentary and were filmed during the off-season.

So slow your roll. The timing isn't on Foster, its on the media.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #76
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally classless on Fosters part. If I ever had any doubts about this guy being all about himself, I don't anymore.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #77
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Back to my previous point, what makes the athlete's struggle any different than any other student's? I mentioned personally knowing students that have had to work and go to school in order to pay for the necessities. They worked very hard, if not harder, than most college athletes I know. The athletes already have many perks. Free food, housing, etc.
Students who get jobs for money get ... money.

Athletes who work a whole extra job do not.

Quote:
If the NCAA opens the floodgates to pay football players, I have no doubt someone will take it to court to pay ALL college athletes. And while it can be argued that football brings the revenue so those athletes should reap the rewards (beyond free school, food, housing, etc.), the same logic of Title 9 will most likely be applied to all sports.
I wasn't suggesting they get paid by the university but how about make the rules the same for all student athletes? If they can teach in the summer time or outside of football season then let them just like tennis players.
Old 09-20-2013   #78
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't doubt he took money, but his reasoning is full of ****. A major program like Tennessee doesn't house and feed their athletes? Lol uh huh.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #79
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I'm on a physics scholarhip and I want to make money on the side tutoring math or freshman physics I can. Can a football or basketball player "legally" hold a make money by holding a football or basketball camp?? Hell, I bet they can't even "legally" get paid to participate in someone else's football or basketball camp.

I worked at UPS all through college myself but would a football coach or basketball coach let his star QB or point guard make extra money by working an extra job? A real job... you know what I mean...

And between classes, practice time, working out, and studying his playbook, when would there be time for a side job?

I'm all for a system that provides some sort of stipend or some compensation for the money that these kids bring to the school.

Now what an equitable -to the kids and to the school - system ought to look like... I'm still working on that part.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #80
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Students who get jobs for money get ... money.

Athletes who work a whole extra job do not.

I wasn't suggesting they get paid by the university but how about make the rules the same for all student athletes? If they can teach in the summer time or outside of football season then let them just like tennis players.
Athletes also don't have to pay $60k a year for tuition and costs.

I'm not against college football players being able to coach during the summertime. I'm against the university paying student athletes so we are in agreement there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If I'm on a physics scholarhip and I want to make money on the side tutoring math or freshman physics I can. Can a football or basketball player "legally" hold a make money by holding a football or basketball camp?? Hell, I bet they can't even "legally" get paid to participate in someone else's football or basketball camp.

I worked at UPS all through college myself but would a football coach or basketball coach let his star QB or point guard make extra money by working an extra job? A real job... you know what I mean...

And between classes, practice time, working out, and studying his playbook, when would there be time for a side job?

I'm all for a system that provides some sort of stipend or some compensation for the money that these kids bring to the school.

Now what an equitable -to the kids and to the school - system ought to look like... I'm still working on that part.
Sure, if you want these kids to get a stipend, I'm all for it as long as they eliminate the full-ride, housing, meal plan, etc. In that sense, I'm sure the benefits they receive outweigh any stipend they'll be receiving from the university.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read