Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2013   #41
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Food, housing, education, books, tutors I'm sure there are plenty more
Tutors I'll give you but I remember paying taxes on books and other school supplies. We'd be naive to think that some part of the cost of housing and campus food wasn't due to state taxes. Just cause you don't directly see them doesn't mean they aren't there.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #42
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Did you or your brothers need to send money back home for mom to make ends meet and to help out with the siblings behind??

Everyone's situation is unique.
You're correct, which is what I tried to clarify above. I don't care one iota that he took money. I just don't buy the "need food" and the like while attending College on a full ride.
Old 09-20-2013   #43
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=ObsiWan;2212967]Tutors I'll give you but I remember paying taxes on books and other school supplies. We'd be naive to think that some part of the cost of housing and campus food wasn't due to state taxes. Just cause you don't directly see them doesn't mean they aren't there.[/QUOTE

What are you talking about taxes on your books for? If my company provided housing for me it would be a taxable event however athletes in this situation get it for free and do not have to pay income tax on that benefit
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
As I said above, I was just going off the guy's quote. I have no idea how his or any scholarship worked. Either way, I honestly don't have a problem with him or any athlete taking money. It's a position on which my stance has evolved, because college football is a business, plain and simple. In no other business are you told you're going to be paid with something that you may not want (in fact, this is the genesis of currency in civilization). You render a service and you get paid in money that can be converted to whatever other good or service you desire. Otherwise, you'd only do work for people who can pay you precisely the good you are looking for. This week, I'll go work for Farmer Brown so I can get some eggs!

The entire NCAA system is complete BS. Separate the football from education and pay the kids. Then they might be able to afford your overpriced education on their own. And that's another thing - hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?!?! That too is BS.

I am going to go drink some chai tea and meditate now.
I have no problem with paying college athletes.

Just make them pay their own way through school if they are going to do it.
Old 09-20-2013   #45
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Because he is whining that a long-employed man has a better car than he does.
Is that "long employed man" ( and you're making a leap of faith about the long employed part) the guy the boosters and fans pay to see on Saturdays or is the athletes??
Old 09-20-2013   #46
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Tutors I'll give you but I remember paying taxes on books and other school supplies. We'd be naive to think that some part of the cost of housing and campus food wasn't due to state taxes. Just cause you don't directly see them doesn't mean they aren't there.
Income tax, not sales tax.

If you do work for me, and I compensate you by paying your rent, the amount of your rent that I paid is taxable income to you. So, they are receiving lodging, food, books, etc. and are not having to report it as taxable income.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If he wasn't a Texan I wouldn't be so nice about this, but Arian is not being very smart. Absolutely nothing good can come from this. He doesn't have to run from the NCAA anymore, but someone is & while he wasn't driving a BMW, that's on him. Plenty of college athletes are driving vehicles they have no business driving.

It's no secret that college players are getting paid, but so far not a whole lot is being done about it. Like steroids in MLB. This little bit of honesty by Foster just might spark increased measures by the NCAA so that other kid trying to put food on his momma's table, or put diapers on his baby is going to lose his free ride.

& another thing. We need Arian to play football, we don't need him speaking his mind & getting all political (NCAA politics) & fighting the good fight for what he thinks is right..... After we win a Super Bowl.... maybe. Once he decides he's done playing football, sure. But he doesn't need this kind of attention, our players don't need this kind of attention, & the fans don't need our team messing with this.

I hope it's over, but I doubt it.
Old 09-20-2013   #48
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
You're correct, which is what I tried to clarify above. I don't care one iota that he took money. I just don't buy the "need food" and the like while attending College on a full ride.
Oh...
Never mind.
Old 09-20-2013   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have no problem with paying college athletes.

Just make them pay their own way through school if they are going to do it.
The NCAA is going to have to enter some "profit" sharing like the NFL.
Old 09-20-2013   #50
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Can we call him Arian "The Truth" Foster?

Awesome stuff, 23.
Old 09-20-2013   #51
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't buy the "needed food" and crap
Yeah, it is kinda laughable to think they are needing "food money". I wonder how much of that food money would be spent on iPods and other crap other than food.

If someone wants to argue that they should have a beefed-up food allowance, or credit in the university store, or some other designated store, to buy clothes and other necessities, I will hear that argument. But the idea that we should be giving them cash is nonsense.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Can we call him Arian "The Truth" Foster?

Awesome stuff, 23.
I like Arian "Screw it up for everyone else" Foster.
Old 09-20-2013   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with thunderkyss' earlier point. Why NOW? Why talk about this stuff during the season when it will become a potential distraction for Arian and the team?
Old 09-20-2013   #54
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I'd rather hear more about Foster's great production than hear him complain about playing time, talking about taking money in college and what not. I sure don't hear about him in the same light as I used to
This. His whining almost seems like a plea for attention. Not getting enough playing time? Okay, let's make a fuss about it. Wait, they aren't reacting the way you wanted, Arian? OK, then talk about getting paid at the NCAA level. He needs to focus on getting his game back up because his sub 4 ypc average really sucks.

I can't help but roll my eyes at his complaints. I personally know D1 football players who are provided housing and food in addition to a free education. One of them was telling me how he found a cheap apartment with a bunch of friends and was able to pocket the rest of the money.

This bitching about not finding food is the biggest crock of **** I have ever heard. You get free dining at the university. I'm sorry you can't spend $200 on a meal every night. The benefits he's receiving are already way better than other students. There are hardworking students who aren't fortunate enough to receive a scholarship, free meal plan and free housing. They actually have to work in addition to going to school to pay for necessities. They work just as hard, if not harder, than any football player I know
Old 09-20-2013   #55
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7456 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember playing high school football with a jam packed stadium in K.I.S.D(every single person paid to watch us/me). Not once did it cross my mind that I should get paid to play.

I love Arian on the field, off the field he is starting to run me the wrong way.
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...see-volunteers

Quote:
"I just feel strong about the injustice that the NCAA has been doing for years," Foster said Friday in Houston. "That's why I said what I said. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus. ... I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the NCAA anymore. They're like these big bullies. I'm not scared of them."

In an interview for a documentary called "Schooled: The Price of College Sports," Foster said he received extra payments so he could afford rent and food while playing at Tennessee. An excerpt of the documentary was obtained by and posted on SI.com.

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year (2008), I was getting money on the side," Foster said in the video. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

Foster went on to describe a situation when he had no food or money and called a coach.

"Either you give us some food or I'm gonna go do something stupid," Foster recalled telling him.

The coach brought Foster and three others 50 tacos, Foster said in the documentary while chuckling at the thought that that the action constituted an NCAA violation.

Foster played at Tennessee from 2005 to 2008 under Hall of Fame coach Phillip Fulmer. Foster said Friday he never took money from coaches, but there were always people around the program willing to help him financially. Andrew Muscato, a documentary producer, says Foster didn't specify how much he received.

Foster said Friday he considered the repercussions of his actions and how they might impact Tennessee, which is on NCAA probation through Aug. 23, 2015. He decided the rewards were greater than the risks.

"Look at the attention it's getting," Foster said. "They really have us hoodwinked into thinking taking money is wrong as a college athlete. It's wrong for us but it's not wrong for them. I guarantee every NCAA official has a (BMW) or Benz or something. That's not wrong, but it's wrong for me to get $20 to get something to eat? Dez Bryant couldn't get taken out to dinner by Deion Sanders, his mentor, he sat out a whole season because of that? That's not wrong? But if you can drive around in a Benz, that's OK? It's not right."

Arian Foster says he took benefits while in college at Tennessee so he could pay for food and rent.

The NCAA suspended Bryant in September 2009 for the rest of that season for lying about having lunch with Sanders.

Asked if his financial situation got more difficult after he stopped living in dorms and eating from the dining hall, Foster said it was worse when he lived on campus.

"I think my check was like $87 a month in dorm rooms," Foster said. "You had meals Monday through Friday, Saturday and Sunday you had to fend for yourself. I guess that's what the $87 was for. At the end of the month you don't have any money, your family can't send you any money, a lot of those guys -- 80 percent of the team is made up of kids from the inner city."

Foster disagreed that a "free education" was a just reward, saying the education wasn't free because college athletes put in just as much work as professional athletes.

"Except I can go make money off of my name," Foster said. "I can go get a side job if I really wanted to. The NCAA takes away your constitutional rights as an American of not being able to go get a job."

He called for an end to what he considers the guise of amateurism in college sports.

Said Foster: "It's just amazing to me that adults let this go on."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #57
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish Tate would have said something....
Old 09-20-2013   #58
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

If he ever leaves the Texans then I will criticize him. But for now HOW DARE YOU TENNESSEE do this to my star RB??!! Dam hillbilly country!!
Old 09-20-2013   #59
ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he wasn't a Texan I wouldn't be so nice about this, but Arian is not being very smart. Absolutely nothing good can come from this. He doesn't have to run from the NCAA anymore, but someone is & while he wasn't driving a BMW, that's on him. Plenty of college athletes are driving vehicles they have no business driving.

It's no secret that college players are getting paid, but so far not a whole lot is being done about it. Like steroids in MLB. This little bit of honesty by Foster just might spark increased measures by the NCAA so that other kid trying to put food on his momma's table, or put diapers on his baby is going to lose his free ride.

& another thing. We need Arian to play football, we don't need him speaking his mind & getting all political (NCAA politics) & fighting the good fight for what he thinks is right..... After we win a Super Bowl.... maybe. Once he decides he's done playing football, sure. But he doesn't need this kind of attention, our players don't need this kind of attention, & the fans don't need our team messing with this.

I hope it's over, but I doubt it.
F that...we need some folks to blow the NCAA the hell out. I'm sick and TIRED of these *******s getting away with any and everything. We need more.
Old 09-20-2013   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was open when it needed to be open. Athletes are fed like kings. I gained 20lbs in my short stint. My two brothers gained close to 200 lbs between them. The elder one went in at around 235 and left at 345. I mean, unless you're a raging pothead, there's plenty of food throughout the day.

FWIW, it doesn't bother me one bit that he took money. I just don't buy the "needed food" and crap
Time doesn't stand still, Hou-Tex.
And different programs have different requirements.
My two nieces, for example, swim competitively since they were eight, and they have had very little social time. They swim or practice 4-5 hours a day, seven days a week. Without their mom's full-time dedication, they can go hungry at times.
The older one just got a 75% scholarship to a small college in NY.
Offers from other programs were less.

Like Obsi said, everybody's situation is unique.

And these guys also have to perform both on the field and in the class room to maintain their scholarships, unless there are major unethical conducts by the schools.

I don't know whether Foster is not smart about this or not.
Sometimes, the system needs a major shake-up to make the necessary changes.
It happens all the time in real life.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read