Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2013   #41
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Game Week -- at Baltimore Ravens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
With Brown out I just dont see us establishing the run like we want. This Balty D is starting to round into form, and will be nothing like we saw against Manning week 1.

This game is all on Schaub.
I realize most on this board are saying he should be out, and maybe they're right, but have the Texans said he's out?
Old 09-20-2013   #42
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I realize most on this board are saying he should be out, and maybe they're right, but have the Texans said he's out?
No, just an assumption on my part.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #43
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there going to be a watch party?
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235029 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Quote:
Through two games in 2013, Houston Texans defense has forced three-and-outs on 16-of-20 drives. #Texans

Andre on Pollard: I haven't had a chance to talk to him. I wanted to after the game. I don't think he was intentionally trying to hurt me.

Andre Johnson says Ed Reed hasn't changed at all since college, except for hair. "He used to have braids." #Texans pic.twitter.com/qVzZIzGOxY

Johnson: Every player will experience that "welcome to the NFL" hit. As for himself, "I'm pretty sure it won't be the last time." #Texans

Andre Johnson thinks the new concussion protocol is "great" because it really evaluates if players ready to return to game. #Texans
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
I reminded Kubiak he previously said Ed Reed wouldn't start in his first game back. He replied that he doesn't remember saying that. #Texans

If Ed Reed is ready to go, Ed Reed will start Sunday against the Ravens. #Texans

Kubiak calls Ed Reed a game-time decision. He doesn't know if a workout Sunday morning will be a difference. #Texans

Kubiak says Duane Brown didn't practice but will still be a game-time decision. Andre Johnson has been fully cleared. #Texans
Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy
Quote:
Johnson on Pollard: "I didn’t see a big deal with it. It was a hit. I don’t think he was intentionally trying to hurt me.." #Texans

Doctor told him it wasn't really a concussion. #Texans

Andre makes it very clear: He's not mad at Bernard Pollard and doesn't think Pollard was trrying to injure him. #Texans

Shiloh Keo says he's not surprised Reed will start. He expected that., obviously. But, "as a competitor" he's "disappointed.." #Texans

Arian Foster declined to discuss admitting he took money in college. A quiet lockerroom today.. #Texans

Ed Reed declined to talk about Kubiak saying he'll start if he's ready to play. Reed only talks with the media on Fridays., #Texans

Reed has gone full speed with a full load for the last two practices. Ed Reed will start if he can go - Kubiak. #Texans
Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Quote:
Johnson: Hopkins and those young guys are capable of what you saw them do on Sunday. #Texans

Johnson: I wanted to come back into game. #Texans

Johnson: never lost consciousness. When head hit ground, got blurry, got a headache. Know exactly what happened. #Texans

Johnson: Don't really have a problem with Pollard's hit. Part of the game. #Texans

Andre Johnson at podium now. Said he's "fine". #Texans

Kubiak: K Randy Bullock is fine. Kicked well yesterday. We expect him to do that on Sunday too. #Texans

Kubiak: we've kept Duane Brown in a boot for the most part. Kept him inside w/trainers while we've practiced. #Texans

Kubiak: I have a lot of confidence in Ryan Harris. He's got a big challenge on his hands, if he's the guy who plays at LT. #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 09-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235029 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

John Clayton says "barring some kind of miracle I think Ray Rice is going to be out against Houston."
Old 09-20-2013   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-ravens-week-3

11.5 combined sacks/hurries/hits for Dummervil and Suggs per game.
Can Harris and Newton hold them below their average?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-ravens-week-3

11.5 combined sacks/hurries/hits for Dummervil and Suggs per game.
Can Harris and Newton hold them below their average?
If we have a good day running the ball..... shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-20-2013   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I just came across a somewhat disturbing Texans stat...........after 2 games, the Texans D ranks last in total tackles!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #49
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I just came across a somewhat disturbing Texans stat...........after 2 games, the Texans D ranks last in total tackles!
Yeah, ask Wade what he thinks about that.

Quote:
“You’re getting into my pet peeve here about tackles because, when they show them in the league, they show this guy makes this many tackles, and Cushing’s 33rd in tackle or something like that,” Phillips said. “But those are press box stats, which really bothers me. We’ve played two games and they count individual tackles, which I think they’re pretty close on, but assists are so far off and the total tackles makes it look like one guys and another guy, it’s like Cush, he’s got two assists. He’s got more of that on our account.
LINK

This was posted in another thread.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well if 17 of 20 defensive drives end up as 3 and outs, what is the problem?

Seems kind of like complaining a pitcher only had 9 pitches in getting 3 strikeouts.
Old 09-20-2013   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics...

Wade Phillips has a pet peeve when it comes to stats

Quote:
“You’re getting into my pet peeve here about tackles because, when they show them in the league, they show this guy makes this many tackles, and Cushing’s 33rd in tackle or something like that,” Phillips said. “But those are press box stats, which really bothers me. We’ve played two games and they count individual tackles, which I think they’re pretty close on, but assists are so far off and the total tackles makes it look like one guys and another guy, it’s like Cush, he’s got two assists. He’s got more of that on our account.

"I’ll give you an example, one team in the league has 66 assists and we have 10 and another team has 60. There are two teams that have only two assists in two games. What I’m saying is the press box at whatever game, Indianapolis has played two games at home and they’ve had 77 tackles and 66 assists, and the teams they’ve played have had 80 tackles and 50 assists in those two games. It makes it look like those teams’ players are making a lot more plays and it also makes us look like we don’t have people running to the ball and getting to the ball. ”

Wade's rant ended something like this:

That’s bothers me that they put out yardage, touchdown passes and all of those things, and those are accurate," Phillips said. "But those assists are not accurate and, if I were a player, I would be upset about it because it looks like, wow, this guy is leading the league in tackling when you may have just as many tackles.”

In a nutshell, league awards are based on statistics and Phillips feels that his players are being shortchanged. Total tackles are being skewed by an inaccurate count of tackle assists.
Old 09-20-2013   #52
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's meaningless, and it's a combination of two factors.

First, the Texans currently have the fifth fewest defensive plays from scrimmage in the NFL at 118. That compares to a league low of 101 (Seattle). and a league high of 165 (Buffalo). Fewer defensive plays from scrimmage, fewer tackles.

Second (and this is what really makes it meaningless) is that there is no consistency whatsoever in keeping stats for assisted tackles. I don't know if it's the team, the league, or a local media member (ala Major League Baseball) who keeps them, but they're all over the board. For example, of the Texans 103 tackles, 91 are listed as solo, and 12 are "assists". Compare that to Indy who has 77 solo tackles, and 66 "assists" for a total of 143 tackles. Now that could be just an anomaly of the numbers until you realize that the Indy defense has run 129 plays from scrimmage for the year, so they basically have 14 more tackles than plays run. Buffalo has 184 tackles with only 165 defensive plays from scirmmage. To put this in perspective, only two teams have fewer "assists" than the Texans (Arizona and St. Louis with 2 apiece), and the top of the "assists" list is Indy with those 77.

Lastly, two of the other bottom 5 teams in tackles are Seattle and Cincinnati, so we're in pretty good company in that regard.
Old 09-20-2013   #53
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well if 17 of 20 defensive drives end up as 3 and outs, what is the problem?

Seems kind of like complaining a pitcher only had 9 pitches in getting 3 strikeouts.
I doubt that this is likely the explanation.

San Diego in their 2 games have had 22 total drives and 6 three and outs.
Tennessee in their 2 games have had 24 total drives and 10 three and outs

Came across this interesting website that CHARTS stats........sort of fun to play around with. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/te...ackles-tackles
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I doubt that this is likely the explanation.

San Diego in their 2 games have had 22 total drives and 6 three and outs.
Tennessee in their 2 games have had 24 total drives and 10 three and outs
I am not sure what that is supposed to show or refute in what I said. That would appear to be that those two teams have combined for less 3 and outs. As ChampionTexan points out we have less plays than most which is consistent.

His point about the somewhat random awarding of assists is valid as well. This has come up before. DeMeco Ryans' rookie year Zach Thomas beat him out for leading the league in tackles on the back of 32 extra assists even though he had 22 less solos.
Old 09-21-2013   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
That's meaningless, and it's a combination of two factors.

First, the Texans currently have the fifth fewest defensive plays from scrimmage in the NFL at 118. That compares to a league low of 101 (Seattle). and a league high of 165 (Buffalo). Fewer defensive plays from scrimmage, fewer tackles.

Second (and this is what really makes it meaningless) is that there is no consistency whatsoever in keeping stats for assisted tackles. I don't know if it's the team, the league, or a local media member (ala Major League Baseball) who keeps them, but they're all over the board. For example, of the Texans 103 tackles, 91 are listed as solo, and 12 are "assists". Compare that to Indy who has 77 solo tackles, and 66 "assists" for a total of 143 tackles. Now that could be just an anomaly of the numbers until you realize that the Indy defense has run 129 plays from scrimmage for the year, so they basically have 14 more tackles than plays run. Buffalo has 184 tackles with only 165 defensive plays from scirmmage. To put this in perspective, only two teams have fewer "assists" than the Texans (Arizona and St. Louis with 2 apiece), and the top of the "assists" list is Indy with those 77.

Lastly, two of the other bottom 5 teams in tackles are Seattle and Cincinnati, so we're in pretty good company in that regard.
msr

Good stuff, keep it coming
Old 09-21-2013   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

His point about the somewhat random awarding of assists is valid as well. This has come up before. DeMeco Ryans' rookie year Zach Thomas beat him out for leading the league in tackles on the back of 32 extra assists even though he had 22 less solos.
We're like the Texas Rangers. One riot... one ranger.

Our defensive players are better tacklers than everyone elses... that's all that stat tells me.
Old 09-21-2013   #57
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Incomplete passes count for 0 tackles.
Old 09-21-2013   #58
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 49705 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #59
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice
Quote:
About to take off with the Texans. Sad that D. Brown is out, snaps 78 game start streak. Enter Ryan Harris (36 career starts). Go Texans!
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
I love Baltimore. What a great city. Harbor is booming with Texans and West Virginia fans. Mountaineers play Terps at Ravens stadium.

I think Ed Reed is going to make his debut. I think he'll start and get relief from Shiloh Keo.

Ryan Harris will be blocking Terrell Suggs most of the time. He will need some help.

Ryan Harris started 2 games for Texans last year and 35 during Broncos career.

LT Duane Brown out with toe injury. Will be replaced by Ryan Harris vs. Ravens.
Old 09-21-2013   #60
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3743 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

Not looking forward to a great game from the Ravens offense. WR play is nowhere near last year, TE's are non-existant, and now no Rice?

Unless the Ravens D pitches a shutout, I do not see much good in this matchup tomorrow.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read