Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2013   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foster admits to taking money in college

Interesting stuff
Quote:
"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year, I was getting money on the side," said Foster. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2fSTJxZgW
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

hmm I thought players got paid in education and also got free meals in cafeteria?
Old 09-20-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
During an interview for a documentary (video on SI. com), Arian Foster admitted getting money on the side in college http://ow.ly/p3XSo
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
hmm I thought players got paid in education and also got free meals in cafeteria?
Try paying the rent with your philosophy class.
Old 09-20-2013   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't college athletes also get free accommodation?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #6
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 50432 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
They get free dorm rooms, and at least at Texas Tech they were better than everyone elses dorms and they didn't have to share with a roommate.
Old 09-20-2013   #7
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Don't college athletes also get free accommodation?
Depends on your status I think. I'm not sure walk-ons get any sort of help, and if you only have a partial scholarship it won't cover everything.
NCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
They get free dorm rooms, and at least at Texas Tech they were better than everyone elses dorms and they didn't have to share with a roommate.
"I had to either pay the rent or buy some food." - Arian Foster

I was just going off what the guy said.
Old 09-20-2013   #9
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46287 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Depends on your status I think. I'm not sure walk-ons get any sort of help, and if you only have a partial scholarship it won't cover everything.
Foster wasn't a walkon
Stemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 292438 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My son got a full ride scholarship at SFA. All rent, food, books, and education fully paid by the school.

He only worked in the off-season/spare time for spending money, not because he needed it.

Now, I have no idea of Arian's scholarship situation, but I think most are like my son's. (Like you said, just going off of Arian's statement.)

I tend to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars per student in FREE college education, housing, and food, should be enough to justify the commitment to a program, especially since I had to work my ass off for every penny to pay for college (which led me to dropping out as I had to eventually work full time to pay my bills).

BTW, my son never felt he was owed anything by the school and fully appreciated that he was "paid" with a good education/college degree for his football work.
Old 09-20-2013   #11
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 3119 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

So Arian is a rat.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #12
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 50432 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Again just what I observed at Texas Tech, full ride scholarhips had free rooms on campus, 3 meals a day in their own personal dining hall, free tuition, free tutors available, free shoes, clothes, backpacks, and other apparel. Not to mention nutritionists, doctors, conditioning coaches, etc.
Old 09-20-2013   #13
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
"I had to either pay the rent or buy some food." - Arian Foster

I was just going off what the guy said.
I hear ya. If true, he probably just didn't want to live in a dorm.
Old 09-20-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't live in their free room. Tears. I am all for athletes receiving some pay but to say he was starving but could not walk to cafeteria is ridiculous. I wonder if his mom will weigh in here on this. TexMex's mom you out there?
Old 09-20-2013   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My son got a full ride scholarship at SFA. All rent, food, books, and education fully paid by the school.

He only worked in the off-season/spare time for spending money, not because he needed it.

Now, I have no idea of Arian's scholarship situation, but I think most are like my son's.

I tend to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars per student in FREE college education, housing, and food, should be enough to justify the commitment to a program, especially since I had to work my ass off for ever penny to pay for college (which led me to dropping out as I had to eventually work full time to pay my bills).

BTW, my son never felt he was owed anything by the school and fully appreciated that he was "paid" with a good education/college degree for his football work.
As I said above, I was just going off the guy's quote. I have no idea how his or any scholarship worked. Either way, I honestly don't have a problem with him or any athlete taking money. It's a position on which my stance has evolved, because college football is a business, plain and simple. In no other business are you told you're going to be paid with something that you may not want (in fact, this is the genesis of currency in civilization). You render a service and you get paid in money that can be converted to whatever other good or service you desire. Otherwise, you'd only do work for people who can pay you precisely the good you are looking for. This week, I'll go work for Farmer Brown so I can get some eggs!

The entire NCAA system is complete BS. Separate the football from education and pay the kids. Then they might be able to afford your overpriced education on their own. And that's another thing - hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?!?! That too is BS.

I am going to go drink some chai tea and meditate now.
Old 09-20-2013   #16
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67472 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Couldn't Arian have just stayed on campus for free and eaten for free? I know some schools give a daily food allowance for athletes to eat on campus. Like 40 bucks or something.
Old 09-20-2013   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
So Arian is a rat.
nah he's a free spirit that enjoys tacos.
Old 09-20-2013   #18
LEATHERHEAD
Veteran

Section: 123 C
Rep Power: 1016 LEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respected

Had to buy Diapers..and food for that baby..should have used a Raincoat
LEATHERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #19
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Foster wasn't a walkon
I was speakingin general. But I'm not even sure that I'm right about walk-ons not getting housing. I don't know enough about it.
NCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #20
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 3119 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Many athletes piss away their money once they turn pro, so is it a good idea to be handing them cash at an even earlier age?
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read