Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-18-2013   #61
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colts get Trent Richardson from Browns

If the Browns are trying to monopolize the 2014 draft while remaking their roster we could give them our #1 for Joe Haden.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #62
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well that's debatable. The 2003 Texans had 900 less passing yds and 60 less passing 1st downs than the 2012 Browns.
2003 Texans: 439 attempts

2012 Browns: 566 attempts

The Browns are even worse this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #63
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Want to bet the Colts give Richardson more than 13 carries in every game this yr?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #64
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I guess we'll revisit this when Richardson gets some time in that Indy offense. By the way, you're point about the Browns line being better than the Colts line is inaccurate as well. The Browns can't run block or pass protect, they've given up 11 sacks in two games. I say that knowing the Colts do not have great run blockers. The Browns are that bad.
And the Colts have given up 7 sacks in two game.... on 20 less pass attempts and despite having a much more mobile and superior QB

In 2012 Luck was sacked 41 times on 110 more attempts... Weeden was sacked 28 times...
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #65
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL running backs are like automobiles, as soon as they are drafted (or driven off of the lot), they begin to rapidly depreciate. The Colts have way overpaid for a used running back when there are many other good ones out there who can be had for far, far less than a first round pick.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #66
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
950 yards, 11 rushing TDs and 51 receptions for almost 400 yards and a TD is pretty damn nice for a rookie. Especially one with an overall garbage offense in Cleveland.
Thanks for being the voice of reason. It's like people didn't watch or pay attention last year. Colts got a lot better. The guy can run for power, catch the ball and just got a real QB to take pressure off of him carrying the team.

And if it isn't obvious to those ignoring it, the Browns were going nowhere with a nice back. They just mortgaged a season to get picks for a QB in a QB year. End of story.
Old 09-18-2013   #67
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147527 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone watch the Browns first game this year? Opened with a couple running plays, and Richardson was getting some nice runs in. Then, for some reason, they completely went away from the run and let Weeden keep throwing interceptions and getting sacked. Something's rotten in Cleveland, and I don't think it was Richardson. Everyone was questioning their decision to not stick to the run game in week 1.

Last year, Richardson was facing stacked boxes on a team with no passing game who were always playing from behind. While having bruised ribs pretty much all season. Anyone who thinks this isn't an upgrade for the Colts and Richardson isn't that good just isn't paying attention to the details and only looking at 3.6 YPC.

According to number fire:

Quote:
So far this season (and yes, I’m aware it’s only been two weeks), the Colts rank – wait for it - first in the league in adjusted rushing net expected points per play. With each carry, they’re doing more with the ball than any other NFL team. Again, like the Browns, this may be blowing your mind. But go ahead and take a look at even their raw numbers and you may be surprised. Vick Ballard, before his injury, had a nice 4.8 yards per carry average against the Raiders. Bradshaw ran effectively last week, bringing his season average to 4.1 yards per carry. Even Donald Brown has touched the ball seven times for 30 yards, people.
http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/1...olts-wait-what

So stop fixating on 3.6 and dig a little deeper. This is a good move for the Colts and potentially bad for us and further indication that the Browns are nowhere near being close to being good for a long while. This move is a little panicky to me from an organization that hasn't exactly had a track record of making good decisions. This is a team that's started 19 quarterbacks since 1999. Even the dark days of 2-14 were never as dark as the last 20 or so years for the Browns. Just ouch.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #68
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Runningbacks just aren't worth high picks anymore. Quite the gamble by the Colts.
Imagine what we could have hauled in for Ben Tate after his excellent season two years ago? Even now Tate is beasting again in limited carries.
Old 09-18-2013   #69
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Just don't see the logic in spending a first on a RB nowadays. You can find pro bowl backs all over the draft (or even after the draft ).
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #70
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like this move as a Texans fan because it immediately makes the Colts better, especially after Ballard went down now they improved on the RB position.

They got the number 3 pick in last years draft for what will be a much higher pick, early on Colts sure seem to have gotten the better end.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #71
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate anything that makes the Colts better and I'm afraid they just got better. I'd be pleased as hell if Trent comes in and he's crap but... I'll believe it when I see it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
By the way, I recall a 4th round rookie RB on a much worse passing team, with a horrendous OL, who I don't recall anyone calling a stud while averaging .7 ypc more than Richardson.
I called him a stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The line might be slightly better in Cleveland (They both have been bad) but in Indy, Richardson isn't going to face 8 dudes crammed into the box on every single play.
& if he does, Reggie Wayne & TY Hilton will make them pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post

That said, I think it is a bit of a dick move on a fanbase who've endured quite a lot of crap over the years - pulling this in the 2nd week, after all the season tickets are solid, and effectively putting up a sign that says 'come back next year'.

Sure I know fans should stick by their team through thick and thin - but how many of us would have been jumping for joy two weeks into the season if we've traded Mario for an unknown first round pick, after putting the emotional baggage into believing that your franchise has got 'the one'.
Joe Banner said it right. They've got to earn the trust & good faith of that fan base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
As for the actual trade - I don't really think we'll know for a few weeks. Richardson could propel Indy to a divisional title, and leave Cleveland with a high 20's pick, or he could have the warned diva mentality, and the Browns are picking in the top 10 twice.
If they tried to trade him after the season how much would they have got for him? I seriously doubt they would have got a low 1st with the draft looming.

As far as the Colts, I think their defense just got better. A lot better. Between Andrew Luck & Trent Richardson they're going to convert more third downs, stay on the field, & keep the other offense on the sideline.

If they can manage to get a lead, control the pace of the game with a run game, they're going to be hard to stop. Chris Johnson just averaged 3.8 ypc against us, they had the ball for a little more than 31 minutes. With Jake Locker throwing for 148 yards, they led for much of the game. Imagine the pressure it would put on our defense if that was Luck & Richardson.
Old 09-19-2013   #73
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
NFL running backs are like automobiles, as soon as they are drafted (or driven off of the lot), they begin to rapidly depreciate. The Colts have way overpaid for a used running back when there are many other good ones out there who can be had for far, far less than a first round pick.
We will see.

We'll know by the end of the year. If a RB has potential you usually know right away.

I think it does make them better for sure though, how much I'm not sure.
Old 09-19-2013   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If they can manage to get a lead, control the pace of the game with a run game, they're going to be hard to stop. Chris Johnson just averaged 3.8 ypc against us, they had the ball for a little more than 31 minutes. With Jake Locker throwing for 148 yards, they led for much of the game. Imagine the pressure it would put on our defense if that was Luck & Richardson.
We also held Adrian Peterson in check & Christian Ponder beat us. With Trent Richardson & Andrew Luck, the Colts are officially better than the Vikings.
Old 09-19-2013   #75
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe it's me but some of this is exaggerated. At the end of the day Richardson is a running back. This is not a position that has been game changing except for a few top tier players in today's football. I hardly see the cause for too much fuss.

Is he an improvement? Of course he is but several would have been. They had freaking Ballard and then Bradshaw. But what has he proven at this level to this point? The Colts still have a below average offensive line and defense. Is he going to cover for that secondary that got torched by Ryan Tannenhill? Will he keep Luck on his feet? No because he can't pass block.

So yeah, they upgrade their run game but still have too many issues. As it is both Brown and Bradshaw had about 4.3 per carry against the Dolphins. Their run game wasn't their biggest issue. It was their offensive line and that defense or namely their secondary. And now they don't have a first round pick. Not a bad deal for them but a gamble because I highly doubt they would have used that first pick on a running back in 2014.

I just don't see how Richardson is a game changer enough to be overly worried. Maybe with a bunch of 5 star offensive linemen but other than that he's not the type of back that worries me. Ben Tate would have been more of an issue to deal with (when healthy) and if I'm the Browns I'm targetting him in free agency.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #76
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Stay classy, Cleveland.

Trent Richardson learned about trade from Browns to Colts on the radio

Quote:
Cleveland Browns CEO Joe Banner and head coach Rob Chudzinski probably put a lot of thought into trading running back Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts on Wednesday. They contemplated how the move would affect their current team. There was definitely a lot of reflection about their 2014 roster. Maybe there was some thought about the best way to deliver this news to the team.

However, neither man thought about calling Richardson to inform him of the transaction after the trade was finalized.

Instead, Richardson learned he would be joining a new team on the radio.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #77
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I worry anytime a division rival gets a RB of this caliber, but at the end of the day it cost them a round 1 draft pick. A DeAndre Hopkins, A Duane Brown, a Brian Cushing. And we sit here with Arian Foster and Ben Tate for a combined 2nd round pick.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Is he an improvement? Of course he is but several would have been. They had freaking Ballard and then Bradshaw. But what has he proven at this level to this point? The Colts still have a below average offensive line and defense. Is he going to cover for that secondary that got torched by Ryan Tannenhill? Will he keep Luck on his feet? No because he can't pass block.
The Jags aren't a concern for me, because they don't have a QB. Nice stable of RBs.... but no QB.

The Titans are just a hair above them because... well, Locker still has a way to go.

The Colts, I'm not worried about them if they're going to be asking Andrew Luck to carry that team throwing 50 times a game. With Trent Richardson... they won't be. That offensive line is going to look a lot better because the game is going to slow down for Luck (now that he has a game changer at RB).
Old 09-19-2013   #79
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Trent Richardson =

For Cleveland this was about Weeden and finding a Franchise QB.

For Indianapolis this was about finding better protection for Luck.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #80
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Or Richardson could be like the pre-owned Lexus with 5,000 miles that you save $10,000. Only time will tell. I applaud Grigson for being a risk taker though.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read