Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame
 
Carr Bombed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever the US govt. sends me
Posts: 13,966
Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default To UT fans only..

Manny Diaz.. WTF!

I was there for only a semester until Sept. 11th

After that I always trusted my cousin (who was a resident and huge UT fan) to keep me updated on what the hell was going on. He told me y'all fired this fool after last year... well, what the hell happened? He lied to me after I saw him on TV tonight!

Why does Manny Diaz even have a job and how the hell can he even walk out in public? Mac Brown should've fired him last season and the fact that he didn't.. both are now gone and I will be thankful for it.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-08-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,582
Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Ya, Mack Brown's tenure is over.

72 rushes, 550 rushing yards by BYU. Embarrassing.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #3
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead
 
HTown2ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,168
Rep Power: 71984 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Ever since the whole fiasco when VY went to the Titans and here in Austin CBS catered to the UT crowd and showed Titans games instead of Texans games for a couple of years I have reveled in Texas fans misery at least here in Austin.

I don't hate UT like I used to but I still get a chuckle. Can't wait to hear sports radio here tomorrow and let the meltdown begin. Typically I only stream Houston sports radio all day but maybe tomorrow I make an exception.

I was indifferent to UT when I moved here, then I hated them, now I'm basically indifferent again. That said, there is no reason why they should even be ranked anywhere above #20 MAX to start a season if that. If they didn't have the logo on their helmet and that deal with ESPN I guarantee they wouldn't be even cared about. It mystified me that here in Austin before the season they would show these commercials about how they are contenders?? Based on what lol??? It's extreme delusion up here.
__________________

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor
 
ATXtexanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: leander, tx
Age: 37
Posts: 3,435
Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Ever since the whole fiasco when VY went to the Titans and here in Austin CBS catered to the UT crowd and showed Titans games instead of Texans games for a couple of years I have reveled in Texas fans misery at least here in Austin.

I don't hate UT like I used to but I still get a chuckle. Can't wait to hear sports radio here tomorrow and let the meltdown begin. Typically I only stream Houston sports radio all day but maybe tomorrow I make an exception.

I was indifferent to UT when I moved here, then I hated them, now I'm basically indifferent again. That said, there is no reason why they should even be ranked anywhere above #20 MAX to start a season if that. If they didn't have the logo on their helmet and that deal with ESPN I guarantee they wouldn't be even cared about. It mystified me that here in Austin before the season they would show these commercials about how they are contenders?? Based on what lol??? It's extreme delusion up here.
I know how you feel
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,934
Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Aggies weigh in on the situation...

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy
 
Hookem Horns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,430
Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
I know how you feel
I'm a Texas fan and I know how he felt. That was a rough period during that whole VY/Titans era. I used to get into arguments all the time with VY fanboys in Austin and KEYE showing Titans games was the worst.

Now I can't stand Mack Brown and that arrogant moron Deloss Dodds. Dodds has totally screwed the program, with that LHN debacle, letting A&M go to the SEC, etc.

Mack can't recruit even when players call him begging to go there. He should have been fired long ago and Muschamp should be coaching now.

Living in Florida now I am finding myself following Muschamp and the Gators on Saturdays. I will always be a Horns fan since I am a native Texan and Austinite, however I will have a hard time getting exciting about anything related to Horns football until those 2 senile men are gone.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead
 
HTown2ATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,168
Rep Power: 71984 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Literally just got up and checked the scores from yesterday and saw they got pounded by Ole Miss! Lol...WOW....I am surprised the city didn't burn down overnight but then again when it's all stoners, hippies and health nazi's that fill the majority of the population I guess mass violence comes second to being stoned and/or being at the gym burning off that kelp that was eaten for lunch haha.
__________________

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,934
Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

If only...

Report: DeLoss Dodds to step down as Texas AD by end of year
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the "Control Room"
Age: 59
Posts: 1,736
Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I'm a Texas fan and I know how he felt. That was a rough period during that whole VY/Titans era. I used to get into arguments all the time with VY fanboys in Austin and KEYE showing Titans games was the worst.

Now I can't stand Mack Brown and that arrogant moron Deloss Dodds. Dodds has totally screwed the program, with that LHN debacle, letting A&M go to the SEC, etc.

Mack can't recruit even when players call him begging to go there. He should have been fired long ago and Muschamp should be coaching now.

Living in Florida now I am finding myself following Muschamp and the Gators on Saturdays. I will always be a Horns fan since I am a native Texan and Austinite, however I will have a hard time getting exciting about anything related to Horns football until those 2 senile men are gone.
I don't think your statement is true that Mack can't recruit. Up until this past recruiting season Texas has been ranked in the top 5 or 10 almost every year since Brown has been there. And this coming years class (2014) is back there again at #8, as of now, by Rivals. Recruiting has never been the issue with Brown. The issue, I think, is found in his coaching, or more specifically, in his teams discipline. Since he does recruit that well, year in and year out, they should be winning a lot more. They were able to win a NC with VY and the other top talent they had a number of years ago, but they just haven't been the same since. Not sure how much the the OC and DC play in this, but a lack of discipline, I think, is at the core of their problems.

On the other hand, look at Sabin at Alabama, he also has top 5 or 10 recruiting classes every year, and every year they are in the title hunt with 3 NC's in the last 4 years. I don't think anyone will question Sabin's discipline of the team. You know he runs a "tight ship."
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,762
Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Manny Diaz.. WTF!

I was there for only a semester until Sept. 11th

After that I always trusted my cousin (who was a resident and huge UT fan) to keep me updated on what the hell was going on. He told me y'all fired this fool after last year... well, what the hell happened? He lied to me after I saw him on TV tonight!

Why does Manny Diaz even have a job and how the hell can he even walk out in public? Mac Brown should've fired him last season and the fact that he didn't.. both are now gone and I will be thankful for it.
Funny seeing you present this thread, because you were one of the biggest people to get completely fooled as a fan by Mack Brown. A part of me thinks that you Mack Brown advocates who didn't realize that VY saved his job sort of deserve this with all of that blind misplaced support you guys gave him over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LOL and what is wrong with Mack Brown?


Name the amount of coaches in college football who have won more games than Mack Brown during his time at Texas....that guy is anything but a liability. Mack Brown can remain the head coach as long as he wants to.

Also, when did Will Muschamp become irreplaceable? His defense was nothing special this season, he basically only had one good year at Texas. I'm actually more excited about Randy Shannon who is just as good of a recruiter as Will Muschamp is.
Here was my response to that at the time and I warned you the minute that Muschamp was gone that the Horns were going to crumble even though it had already started. All you wanted to do was brag on those fake 10 win seasons when Mack was winning against horrible BIG 12 teams and needed VY to beast his team into an NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Come on CB. You're a guy that I would expect not to be fooled by a guy like Mack Brown. One of the dumbest game day coaches I've ever witnessed in my history of watching football. Worse than Kubes actually. The guy is a great recruiter, but has been more loyal to GD and certain players than to his own team's success. I could go back years and years to provide examples. Mack was out of a job until VY saved it when he arrived and everyone knows that. Before VY got there, he was known as the most under achieving coach in the NCAA. The Sooner fans still love the guy. Mack's padded his record off of playing teams with waaaaay less talent than what he's got to work with. Texas has been way ahead of every team other than Oklahoma as far as talent goes and the Big 12 has't been anything to be afraid of other than that one season two years ago. Remember when Mack Brown was known as the guy who couldn't ever win the big one?? VY's heroics changed that persona. Mack is the typical HC that does less with more instead of more with less.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d+coach&page=3

You went on and on to defend Mack Brown's greatness in this thread and when we debated it then, I knew that I'd be brining this thread back up down the line. You were warned, but like tons of other UT fans, you guys didn't want to listen and supported the big under achiever in Mack.

Well now, you're seeing the results of when you give way to much trust to a guy who is soft as hell and needs guys like VY and Muschamp to to do get his team sparked up.

Hell, die hard Longhorn fans haven't forgotten that god damn Colorado game where Mack Brown ruined it for those guys and Applewhite especially. Mack Brown's typical stubbornness kept UT out of a NC before VY ever got there, because he wanted Chris Simms to be the face of the team knowing damn well his walk on QB was ten times better, and it cost the Longhorns a National Championship.

Those who ignore mistakes are doomed to repeat them, and many Longhorn fans are right now. I hope Texas loses as many games as they have to in order to get rid of Mack Brown. Get him as far away from Texas as they can.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #11
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Mack Brown was and is as good as his coordinators are. Nobody can deny Macks ability to recruit. He is a sincere father figure type that families want to send their kids to play for. Everyone knows Mack is not a coach. He just couldn't afford to miss on his recent hires, and he whiffed. And having a stud playmaking QB can make any program look legit and in full steam ahead. But as soon as that QB leaves, you better have the next one ready and Texas has failed here miserably as well since Colt left.

None of it matters now anyway. Texas will be in complete overhaul on many levels and in multiple sports soon.
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,762
Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Mack Brown was and is as good as his coordinators are. Nobody can deny Macks ability to recruit. He is a sincere father figure type that families want to send their kids to play for. Everyone knows Mack is not a coach. He just couldn't afford to miss on his recent hires, and he whiffed. And having a stud playmaking QB can make any program look legit and in full steam ahead. But as soon as that QB leaves, you better have the next one ready and Texas has failed here miserably as well since Colt left.

None of it matters now anyway. Texas will be in complete overhaul on many levels and in multiple sports soon.
Well therein lies a huge problem right there. Who in the hell wants a coach who sucks if his coordinators aren't great? The coach is supposed to be able to coach and if your coordinators are really good, they eventually LEAVE. Then what do you have? You're right back to having that soft grandpa of a coach that is looking for coordinators again. And Mack had one of the worst OC's in college football for the longest time in Greg Davis. The AD department and anyone involved with UT had been wanting Greg Davis out for years. Mack refused and put his loyalty to GD before the program and the players Mack even threatened to walk when they tried to force his hand before VY arrived. UT tried to force GD out a long time ago. Mack is a stubborn old man and always has been. His loyalty to certain players like Gideon, Derry, Simms, Mock, and so many others over the years hurt the team in a lot of situations. There were so many games that the Longhorns barely won despite their coaching where they had to make up for Mack's blunders. And don't even get me started on how badly Bob Stoops has owned Mack for years.

It's a reason why Boomer has wanted Mack to stick around all these years. When your main rival campaigns for your coach to stay for over ten years and your fans can't figure out why, then you have a problem.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well therein lies a huge problem right there. Who in the hell wants a coach who sucks if his coordinators aren't great? The coach is supposed to be able to coach and if your coordinators are really good, they eventually LEAVE. Then what do you have? You're right back to having that soft grandpa of a coach that is looking for coordinators again. And Mack had one of the worst OC's in college football for the longest time in Greg Davis. The AD department and anyone involved with UT had been wanting Greg Davis out for years. Mack refused and put his loyalty to GD before the program and the players Mack even threatened to walk when they tried to force his hand before VY arrived. UT tried to force GD out a long time ago. Mack is a stubborn old man and always has been. His loyalty to certain players like Gideon, Derry, Simms, Mock, and so many others over the years hurt the team in a lot of situations. There were so many games that the Longhorns barely won despite their coaching where they had to make up for Mack's blunders. And don't even get me started on how badly Bob Stoops has owned Mack for years.

It's a reason why Boomer has wanted Mack to stick around all these years. When your main rival campaigns for your coach to stay for over ten years and your fans can't figure out why, then you have a problem.
Not sure we are disagreeing on anything really just a bit over the top for me. The formula actually did work. Because you can say what you want, but the run Texas had happened whether you think it felt wrong or it was masked, or not enough conference championships, or whatever. It happened, those results and BCS wins, NC win and appearances happened. There is only 1 Saban.

Like I said, this is all really irrelevant to me now anyway. Mack is gone. Dodds is gone. Its a new day, and my focus is on the next coach. Yes, an actual REAL ball coach lol who can lock down one side of the ball for the most part with his skills.
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,762
Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Not sure we are disagreeing on anything really just a bit over the top for me. The formula actually did work. Because you can say what you want, but the run Texas had happened whether you think it felt wrong or it was masked, or not enough conference championships, or whatever. It happened, those results and BCS wins, NC win and appearances happened. There is only 1 Saban.

Like I said, this is all really irrelevant to me now anyway. Mack is gone. Dodds is gone. Its a new day, and my focus is on the next coach. Yes, an actual REAL ball coach lol who can lock down one side of the ball for the most part with his skills.
It didn't work, unless you just want to bring up the recruiting angle which is nothing that I ever debated. Mack is and was a great recruiter. He brought the program out of the shambles and was good for that, but that is where it stopped.

Mack Brown was about to be out of a job and VY came along. Texas didn't do so well with Vy right away and admitted that they had to stop coaching him for him to take over college football. Then they had Colt McCoy where they lost 3 games in his first two seasons and were under achieving again, because they were losing games they shouldn't have lost. Muschamp came along and got the entire team whipped into gear. The team played with a sense of urgency and attitude right away and could have gone to two National Championships.

But how is a system like that going to work long term when and if your coordinators are successful they end up having to leave? You're always hiring new guys and eventually it isn't going to work and then you're in a huge hole. And how can you "want" a HC that can't coach at all and is some sort of CEO, but he is the guy making all of the big decisions?? A coach is supposed to be able to coach. He should have to have the best coordinators just to have a good team.

Watch back on those years before VY and Texas could never win the big games. Mack was known as that until Vince came in and changed it all. But as a coach Mack always held the team back except for when "he didn't coach" and left his main player alone.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,934
Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #16
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It didn't work, unless you just want to bring up the recruiting angle which is nothing that I ever debated. Mack is and was a great recruiter. He brought the program out of the shambles and was good for that, but that is where it stopped.

Mack Brown was about to be out of a job and VY came along. Texas didn't do so well with Vy right away and admitted that they had to stop coaching him for him to take over college football. Then they had Colt McCoy where they lost 3 games in his first two seasons and were under achieving again, because they were losing games they shouldn't have lost. Muschamp came along and got the entire team whipped into gear. The team played with a sense of urgency and attitude right away and could have gone to two National Championships.

But how is a system like that going to work long term when and if your coordinators are successful they end up having to leave? You're always hiring new guys and eventually it isn't going to work and then you're in a huge hole. And how can you "want" a HC that can't coach at all and is some sort of CEO, but he is the guy making all of the big decisions?? A coach is supposed to be able to coach. He should have to have the best coordinators just to have a good team.

Watch back on those years before VY and Texas could never win the big games. Mack was known as that until Vince came in and changed it all. But as a coach Mack always held the team back except for when "he didn't coach" and left his main player alone.
lol. Again, not sure what we are even debating about. The only way the system works is if you make the right hires under you. I said that from day 1 and knew what was on the line with the Harsin and Diaz hires. Neither here today. And big time playmaking QBs tend to have an affect at high profile schools don't ya think? Ala Johnny Football.

Which is why I would love for Briles to be a top candidate because I cant name 1 coach who has a better run right now at QBs than him. He is an offensive machine, especially at developing QBs.
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,762
Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
lol. Again, not sure what we are even debating about. The only way the system works is if you make the right hires under you. I said that from day 1 and knew what was on the line with the Harsin and Diaz hires. Neither here today. And big time playmaking QBs tend to have an affect at high profile schools don't ya think? Ala Johnny Football.

Which is why I would love for Briles to be a top candidate because I cant name 1 coach who has a better run right now at QBs than him. He is an offensive machine, especially at developing QBs.
Sorry, if this came off like I was trying to shout at you. Not my intention.

I think it is self explanatory that you need good coordinators in any league whether it be the NCAA or the pros. That goes without saying. However, if all your coach is, is some CEO type of guy that has a very poor grip on the team which has always been the case with Mack, then that is not a good system. Mack has always had problems motivating his players and has been horrible at game planning. That is still "his job." He shouldn't have to have top 3 coordinators on either side of the ball for the team not to be a complete embarrassment for several seasons much less one with the talent Texas always has.


Here is also another idea I have right now. Schiano in Tampa has his players going nuts. The wheels are falling off very quickly over there like they did when Saban went to Miami. How would you feel about Schiano at Texas? He had a great run with Rutgers and it landed him a HC job at Tampa, but I think he is having the same issues Saban did with trying to control his players to much and the NFL guys just don't respond to that very well. He is an interesting guy on my radar right now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #18
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Sorry, if this came off like I was trying to shout at you. Not my intention.

I think it is self explanatory that you need good coordinators in any league whether it be the NCAA or the pros. That goes without saying. However, if all your coach is, is some CEO type of guy that has a very poor grip on the team which has always been the case with Mack, then that is not a good system. Mack has always had problems motivating his players and has been horrible at game planning. That is still "his job." He shouldn't have to have top 3 coordinators on either side of the ball for the team not to be a complete embarrassment for several seasons much less one with the talent Texas always has.


Here is also another idea I have right now. Schiano in Tampa has his players going nuts. The wheels are falling off very quickly over there like they did when Saban went to Miami. How would you feel about Schiano at Texas? He had a great run with Rutgers and it landed him a HC job at Tampa, but I think he is having the same issues Saban did with trying to control his players to much and the NFL guys just don't respond to that very well. He is an interesting guy on my radar right now.
No worries mate. I think I just may have gotten over the total loss of the up coming season a bit faster is all haha. You are right, the writing was on the wall. My point on the matter is more so that just because its not the ideal system, doesn't mean it didn't work for all intensive purposes. It just ran its course and for too long as the game continued to pass Mack by. Amplified by the weaknesses in the system you mentioned. I don't have anything against Mack. He really is a genuine guy and cares about the kids and works his ass off. My anger and disappointment is more towards Dodds. He is the root of everything, and has completely rotted to the core.

Schiano is definitely someone to put on the radar for the reasons you stated. But I honestly don't know enough about his resume so I would be speculating and will def need to check it out. I know he has the backbone you are talking about that's for sure!
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #19
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 34
Posts: 7,824
Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I don't think your statement is true that Mack can't recruit. Up until this past recruiting season Texas has been ranked in the top 5 or 10 almost every year since Brown has been there. And this coming years class (2014) is back there again at #8, as of now, by Rivals. Recruiting has never been the issue with Brown. The issue, I think, is found in his coaching, or more specifically, in his teams discipline. Since he does recruit that well, year in and year out, they should be winning a lot more. They were able to win a NC with VY and the other top talent they had a number of years ago, but they just haven't been the same since. Not sure how much the the OC and DC play in this, but a lack of discipline, I think, is at the core of their problems.

On the other hand, look at Sabin at Alabama, he also has top 5 or 10 recruiting classes every year, and every year they are in the title hunt with 3 NC's in the last 4 years. I don't think anyone will question Sabin's discipline of the team. You know he runs a "tight ship."
I could ****ing recruit top ranked classes if I was the head coach at the University of Texas. It's not rocket science why his classes are so good and yet for some reason the team has stunk the last few years.
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #20
Fred
All Pro
 
Fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 888
Rep Power: 44615 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To UT fans only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I hope Texas loses as many games as they have to in order to get rid of Mack Brown. Get him as far away from Texas as they can.
This is what I love about my Longhorn brethren. About 80% of the time since that Sooner retired from coaching them, they have been rooting for the team to lose to hasten the exit of the current coach.

They despised Fred Akers from the day he showed up because they wanted David McWilliams. They finally got rid of Akers and his 73% wins and got McWilliams. That worked great. Then Mackovic. I think the purveyors of expensive wines liked having him in Austin, the football fans - not so much. Now Brown - the Longhorns coach who started this season with the highest winning percentage of any Longhorn coach ever who was there for more than 40 games (OK he will probably drop below Royal in a week or two).

What is David McWilliams up to? Maybe he would come back. As much as Aggie and Sooner fans (well now pretty much just Sooner fans since the Aggies have moved up a couple of levels in competition) enjoy seeing the Horns win just enough to keep the old coach, it is nice to know that odds are the replacement will be worse. (Actually I think your ideas on Schiano are spot on and that a coach who can put a hard edge on the players is exactly what the Longhorns need. So almost certainly they won't go that way).
__________________
Warning! If this post does not appear to contain sarcasm, someone has probably hacked my account!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger