Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2013   #41
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We don't look as good as the Broncos

Friendly reminder: we looked better than anyone for half the season last year, and we all remember what happened.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The Foreheads, on the other hand, have played two over-rated teams who got their preseason rankings on past reputation. And many of the players responsible for attaining said rep are gone or injured.
In your opinion, do you think the Chargers & Titans will be better than the Ravens & Giants when it's all said & done?
Old 09-17-2013   #43
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In your opinion, do you think the Chargers & Titans will be better than the Ravens & Giants when it's all said & done?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Giants and Ravens are not playoff caliber teams.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #44
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You can't tell me that fivehead is the new standard for handsome.
fify

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #45
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is ridiculous. I don't care whether Forehead looks better than Schaub.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #46
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My short answer is "yes".

The Ravens are ranked #26 in team defense; they'd probably be worse if their 2nd game wasn't against the offense-less Browns (in two games they've scored ONE TD). The Giants are even worse; they're dead last in defense. Isn't tough D supposed to be the signature of both these teams? Where is it?

OTOH, the Chargers just went score for score with what was predicted to be a high octane Eagle offense. The Titans beat down the favored Steelers and gave us all we wanted in our house. Now whether the Chargers and Titans can keep bringing it the rest of the way remains to be seen.

Besides, with respect to this discussion, what happens in the future is irrelevant to now. And now, while the Giants and Ravens are playing truly sucky football is when the Broncos got to play those teams. Now, while the Chargers and Titans are playing very competitive football is when we had to play them.

Upon closer inspection our two wins could be considered better than the Broncos' two wins. But the popular East Coast manufactured group think will never admit to that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #47
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year we came out like gangbusters through the first 3/4 of the season while the Broncos struggled out of the gate. We beat the Broncos in Denver. I was there. It isn't any easy place to win if you aren't the Broncos.

The Ravens were hot out of the gate and struggled over the last half of the season. We destroyed the Ravens here in Houston. I wondered if the franchise was going to fold after such a miserable performance.

So how did all of this affect the season?

Final results:

Broncos had the #1 seed and couldn't hold court because they have a QB that forgets that the NFL season goes into February.

Texans fell apart at the end, squeaked out a win against a Cincy team and couldn't get any breaks against the Pats.

Ravens snuck in because nobody else in the AFC North wanted the division. Got hot at the right time behind a QB that didn't play his best ball until it mattered (by this I mean right before his contract was up).

What does it mean?

The team that wins September, October, or November still has to play in December and January. These games mean nothing. I think the Ravens and the Giants aren't as good as some might have thought. The Broncos had a little revenge things going against the Ravens, too. Similar to what we had when they were here last season. (I think we get back at the Pats the same way). The Titans have a very good D, a solid running game, a good O-Line, and a crummy QB. Hmmm...sounds familiar except Schaub isn't crummy. He's not a Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers either, though. The Chargers have a good D, a rejuvinated passing attack thanks to Mike McCoy, and we were playing well past our bedtimes on the west coast.

I would love to have won each game by 20 points, but I'm more concerned about being ready to win in January and February. This team will be tested. They'll lose a few games, but should come out of the season better prepared to do what it takes.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I would love to have won each game by 20 points, but I'm more concerned about being ready to win in January and February. This team will be tested. They'll lose a few games, but should come out of the season better prepared to do what it takes.
Excellent post.... thank you.
Old 09-17-2013   #49
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Friendly reminder: we looked better than anyone for half the season last year, and we all remember what happened.
Pretty much.

Denver can look as good as they want to right now, and so can every other team.

Lets get hot around December. Lets get it in gear then.

We looked better than the Ravens at the start of the season last year too...
Old 09-17-2013   #50
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Should get a better evaluating metric after this Sunday. The Donkey's have played very good in spurts, I'm not sold on their ground game against a highly skilled defense, but then again Peyton has nasty weapons in the receiving corps. I'd still go ahead and say the Texans have more talent overall. Question is will all the elements start playing together at a high level at the same time? Good teams will find ways to win even when they don't deserve it, and that's what the Texans have done, but I'd like to see some good old fashioned ass whoopings for a few games in a row to start cementing their hold on the division, and building momentum for the late season clash with DEN, which I feel will be the game that decides home field throughout.
Old 09-17-2013   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Good teams will find ways to win even when they don't deserve it, and that's what the Texans have done
Do you think San Diego deserved to win? They started out great, but couldn't put a drive together to secure the W.

Titans certainly did not outplay our team. Their defense is stout... the way they were back in the day. But offensively... & talk about bad play calling... We found someone Kubiak can "consistently" out-coach.

We might not have deserved to win, but they sure as heck didn't.
Old 09-17-2013   #52
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you think San Diego deserved to win? They started out great, but couldn't put a drive together to secure the W.

Titans certainly did not outplay our team. Their defense is stout... the way they were back in the day. But offensively... & talk about bad play calling... We found someone Kubiak can "consistently" out-coach.

We might not have deserved to win, but they sure as heck didn't.
Not only did San Diego move the ball well and look pretty crisp against us, they did the same against Philly, and took the W. I'm sure they're kicking themselves knowing that they could be 2-0. I just feel that the Texans have way too much talent on the field at all times, save special teams. If the players can put it all together they dominate, as was the case from about the 9 minute mark in the 3rd quarter of that game. I just wish the team was more consistent, but its still early.

Titans had 2 good drives against the team, actually one - one of the opening drives IIRC. The other touchdown drive was courtesy of Kareem just not having his head in the game in that 3rd quarter drive where he head butt the receiver and then got beat for the TD. Other than that I felt the defense was playing at a high level. You have to give credit to that Titan defense, they are good. I wont be surprised to see that squad as a top 10 defense, but again with Foster,Johnson,Tate,Daniels,Hopkins ... that's a lot of firepower. Im waiting to see the offense just start lighting people up. I freaking love Munch, I wish him the best there, but he doesn't really have a lot to work with, doesn't excuse the crazy use of timeouts and weird plays, I just don't think he's all that confident with what he has, or maybe he's just not head coach material, book is still out.
Old 09-17-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Excellent post.... thank you.
Ditto.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #54
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not? Because they have that one player that:

Tied the NFL record for TDs in a game.
12x Pro Bowler
Fastest to 4,00 completions
Fastest to 400 passing touchdowns

And dozens of many more records...
Old 09-17-2013   #55
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

It is 2 games into the season people.

2 GAMES
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #56
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just home-field advantage.

HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #57
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

We tryin' to win titles in September? Is this what's hot on the streets?

I preach 1-0 every week, and we got folks looking for Lombardi before the 1st day of Autumn.

I can't even...TK, you're my guy...but looking impressive now? It's nice and all, but you'll see Sunday when the Jags make the Seahawks sweat. NFL is so week to week, it's unreal.
Old 09-18-2013   #58
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Ur right who have they Beaten Ravens n giants OK LOL

we beat the AFC western Champ and a WC team ....... :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Quote:
My short answer is "yes".
Here's ESPN's Power Rankings.

For comparison purposes,

We beat 16 & 22
The Broncos beat 11 & 20
The Ravens lost to 2 & beat 31
Old 09-18-2013   #60
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
It's just home-field advantage.

HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE!
Well, if Denver get HFA ... they're probably worse off given 18's record in cold weather.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read