Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2013   #161
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The OLBs

I still don't have a problem with the OLB's. Reed is a strong side guy. Strong side guys usually aren't your pass rushers. Mercilus isn't doninant, but to me he looks much better than he did last year. Reed looks better to me too.

Neither is dominant. To me both are solid. Would I like a truly dominant edge rush guy? Who wouldn't? But I'm just happy I'm not looking at the piss poor crap I saw last year for
The OLB's. they are showing life this year. I'll take that for now. But yeah, moving forward I want to see a dominant edge rusher here. That would make the defense 109x better.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #162
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well he's wasted space on passing downs. Move him inside or take him off the field on passing downs.

I wants to see some Willie Jefferson already.
I completely agree. I have been one of Brooks' biggest fans but he is not getting the job done rushing the passer. Willie has natural ability and was getting good pressure during the preseason.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #163
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Rey; even though we both like Jefferson, I don't see a problem with Mercilus and Reed. I think they played just like they were supposed to.

Wade dialed up a lot of plays for the interior guys (including Cushing) with the OLBs acting as containement.
They weren't perfect, but for the most part, they performed their tasks well.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #164
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm with Rey; even though we both like Jefferson, I don't see a problem with Mercilus and Reed. I think they played just like they were supposed to.

Wade dialed up a lot of plays for the interior guys (including Cushing) with the OLBs acting as containement.
They weren't perfect, but for the most part, they performed their tasks well.
If we end up containing Wilson & Kaepernick I'll start believing Wade is drawing up "containment" assignments for his OLB. Until then.... not so much.
Old 09-16-2013   #165
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we end up containing Wilson & Kaepernick I'll start believing Wade is drawing up "containment" assignments for his OLB. Until then.... not so much.
I don't think we are playing contain either, but i don't get your comment. If we're going to play contain, it'd make perfect sense to do it against those two guys.

Edit: nvm, I kind of understand what you mean
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #166
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't think we are playing contain either, but i don't get your comment. If we're going to play contain, it'd make perfect sense to do it against those two guys.

Edit: nvm, I kind of understand what you mean
There are time to contain and there are times to let loose.

I first learned about this when I read a book, in which the author recounted their interviews with coaches on how to minimize the damage that a guy like Barry Sanders can create.

These young mobile QBs represent the same challenge.
Also, the Titans have CJ, and the Vikings has AP, etc.

I paid more attention to the scheme, and it's always there with Wade ever since he joined the Texans.

Mercilus wasn't in the shape to do it last year (something I suggeste d after the draft.)

Mercilus and Williams had the quickness, but not the strength of Montgomery, in their respective first year. I've always thought that Mercilus has the better ceiling due to his explosiveness off the edge.

Barwin and Reed are solid players, not playmakers.

As a DC, I would certainly tailor my scheme to let the solid players do what they do best, if I can enhance the opportunities for my playmakers to make plays. The concept, at its core, is quite simple.
Make the best use out of the talents on your team.
Old 09-16-2013   #167
76Texan
Hall of Fame

As an extra consideration, look at the interior players in Wade's defense.

That includes the ILBs.

It's very doubtful that you can find another system where these guys were as consistently successful (compared to others.)

It doesn't mean that Wade didn't feature the outside guys.
If you're a playmaker, he will feature you.

His philosophy is a tad aggressive, overall, but there's enough flexibility, I would say he's a well-worn veteran.

The guys just need to stay together and execute.
The defensive game plan is good, but the offensive-ladden feature of the league is never of help.

I'm just glad that Wade is our DC.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read