Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-15-2013   #41
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Help Wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Doesn't disprove my point though. I didn't say just making a 50 yard kick, I said knocking them down as if it's some automatic thing and to be expected. It's not. He missed difficult kicks, it's not like he missed chip shots.

A lot of those guys aren't taking many of them. Some of the best ones (Zurlein...) has missed about half of them.
Old 09-15-2013   #42
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73156 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
your ****ing kidding right?
Why wouldn't he be? This whole ****ing thread is a joke. Bullock ain't going anywhere.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #43
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Help Wanted...Kicker

Is Tony Zendejas available?

Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #44
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post

I'm sure he is but an extra point would be a challenge at his age.
Old 09-15-2013   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Doesn't disprove my point though. I didn't say just making a 50 yard kick, I said knocking them down as if it's some automatic thing and to be expected. It's not. He missed difficult kicks, it's not like he missed chip shots.

A lot of those guys aren't taking many of them. Some of the best ones (Zurlein...) has missed about half of them.

I'm still scratching my head as to how Bullock was drafted when Zurlein was still available (had to be an Aggie Kubiak pressure). But I think you need to review Zurlein's stats a little closer............in the past 2 years, he has routinely hit on 50-60 ydrs (13 in 2012).......not to mention the 45-50 ydrs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #46
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm still scratching my head as to how Bullock was drafted when Zurlein was still available (had to be an Aggie Kubiak pressure). But I think you need to review Zurlein's stats a little closer............in the past 2 years, he has routinely hit on 50-60 ydrs (13 in 2012).......not to mention the 45-50 ydrs.
He was 7 of 13 beyond the 50 last year. Overall accuracy was 74.2%.
Old 09-15-2013   #47
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's why I mentioned Zurlein, he's known as one of the elite kickers in the NFL and while he's made the most of them, it's not the best percentage. (from 50 yards or more)

All I am saying though is that 50 yard kicks are not gimmes or automatic kicks. Bulloch is 0-4 on those right now I think, or 0-3 I think? I'm not excusing him but he missed 2 50 yarders this game, and a 46 yarder IIRC. It's some tough luck, I think the guy has the leg (he made the 51 yarder that the Titans called a TO on, right down the middle) and it has to be a pressure thing. Hopefully he'll get over it because I do think he has the leg to become kicker that has the distance...but if he doesn't then we should be able to get any vet kicker that is more reliable.

Either way, he hasn't missed what I'd call a gimme kick yet.
Old 09-15-2013   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=fiasco west;2210526]That's why I mentioned Zurlein, he's known as one of the elite kickers in the NFL and while he's made the most of them, it's not the best percentage. (from 50 yards or more)

All I am saying though is that 50 yard kicks are not gimmes or automatic kicks. Bulloch is 0-4 on those right now I think, or 0-3 I think? I'm not excusing him but he missed 2 50 yarders this game, and a 46 yarder IIRC. It's some tough luck, I think the guy has the leg (he made the 51 yarder that the Titans called a TO on, right down the middle) and it has to be a pressure thing. Hopefully he'll get over it because I do think he has the leg to become kicker that has the distance...but if he doesn't then we should be able to get any vet kicker that is more reliable.

I agree with you about these not being gimmes. But when you look at Zurlein's college FG stats, they were been laden with 50-60 ydrs.......Bullock's were not. Zurlein's college long FG stats have been predictable of his NFL performance........so has Bullock's.
Old 09-15-2013   #49
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
Any list of FA kickers.. including UDFA that's caught anyone eyes?
Billy Cundiff and Olindo Mare are both available. None of them could do much worse than Bullock has up to this point.
Old 09-15-2013   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 301166 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Zurlein's college long FG stats have been predictable of his NFL performance........so has Bullock's.
So Bullock has hit 60% of his over 50 yd attempts in the NFL (he was 3 of 5 in college)?

I don't see how his college record points to the results so far in the NFL.
Old 09-15-2013   #51
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

[quote=CloakNNNdagger;2210541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
That's why I mentioned Zurlein, he's known as one of the elite kickers in the NFL and while he's made the most of them, it's not the best percentage. (from 50 yards or more)

I agree with you about these not being gimmes. But when you look at Zurlein's college FG stats, they were been laden with 50-60 ydrs.......Bullock's were not. Zurlein's college long FG stats have been predictable of his NFL performance........so has Bullock's.
I would rather have Zurlein as well so I agree there, I'm sure it was a Aggie thing or wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Hopefully the guy can get over this problem, either that or Kubiak is just going to stop letting him take those. Would much rather trot out Lechler since it's almost a sure thing that we'll get great field position with him.
Old 09-15-2013   #52
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to say, I thought it was a mistake the day we drafted him, and its really still looking that way. Hard to believe we spent a draft pick on a kicker that had zero pre-draft buzz.

Since he's a Texan now, I hope he turns it around... but today was not a good day for him.
Old 09-15-2013   #53
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=fiasco west;2210563]
Quote:

I would rather have Zurlein as well so I agree there, I'm sure it was a Aggie thing or wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Hopefully the guy can get over this problem, either that or Kubiak is just going to stop letting him take those. Would much rather trot out Lechler since it's almost a sure thing that we'll get great field position with him.
I wish people would quit seeing an Aggie conspiracy. Bullock was the winner of whatever that "best placekicker" award is (Groza?) the year he was drafted. And, having watched the Aggies play, I know he was extremely reliable as a kicker that year. It makes perfect sense that he'd be drafted where he was. And while Zuerlein has worked out better, it was far from clear at the time of the draft that that would be the case.

That said, I'm extremely disappointed in Bullock's performance (on field goals; I'm happy with his kickoffs) in these first two games, and I wouldn't mind them bringing kickers in to try out this week and even signing a replacement if they are comfortable with him. I can forgive missing a 45+ yard kick or two, but when you miss lots of those kicks, including a game-winner, without making any, I think you need to be looking for another line of work. I would have no trust in him kicking for us when we really needed it, and I can't imagine the coaching staff does, either. This is just me estimating numbers, but I'd expect a decent kicker to be 95% or so on <40 yards, about 75% on 40-49 yards, and about 50% on 50+ yard attempts.

Realistically, I expect he's got another week or two grace period, but unless he dramatically turns things around I think we need to be looking for a replacement. Bullock might develop over time into an elite kicker, but we are in a win-now mode, and not a mode where we can let someone gradually improve on the job. Considering how close our games have been so far, those field goals are likely to be a big deal in the remaining games, and I'd like to get someone more reliable (even if with less long-term upside) in there.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So Bullock has hit 60% of his over 50 yd attempts in the NFL (he was 3 of 5 in college)?

I don't see how his college record points to the results so far in the NFL.

I was referring to his limited 50+ FG completion experience.............2 for only 50 yds even, and the other, only 52 yds. No FGs of 54, 55, 56, 58 and 60, etc as in the case of Zurlein.
Old 09-15-2013   #55
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
He''ll be ok.
I have to wonder. He has never been very accurate and I think it's in his blood.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #56
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post

Tony Z was one of my favorite Oilers while growing up. Why the **** did we not resign him and allow Ian Blowfield and Al Del Stinko take over for him.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #57
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 7055 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Tony Z was one of my favorite Oilers while growing up. Why the **** did we not resign him and allow Ian Blowfield and Al Del Stinko take over for him.
Maybe it was because of the leg he broke tackling a guy on a KO return? (I was at that game in the dome)
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #58
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Al Del Greko was a helluva kicker. Not sure who you're talking about with the Blowfield comment.
Old 09-15-2013   #59
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
Maybe it was because of the leg he broke tackling a guy on a KO return? (I was at that game in the dome)
I was in high school at the time and was fortunate that my family had Oilers season tickets back then. Great memory, I thought it was because Bud was a cheap bastard.
Old 09-15-2013   #60
TexansFight
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Al Del Greko was a helluva kicker. Not sure who you're talking about with the Blowfield comment.
Ian Howfield. Blew a winnable game against the Redskins in 1991 when both teams were coming in with great records. I think the Skins were 6-0 and the Oilers were 5-1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read