Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2013   #41
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts About Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Or the missed tackles. Both Cushing & Watt got their hands on Matthews plenty of times in the backfield, just wasn't able to bring him down. One in particular made Cushing look silly as he faceplanted into the ground. One minute, Matthews was there, next minute he wasn't.

Normally we expect these guys (Cushing & Watt) to make those plays.

Personally I think the missed tackles has something to do with the nature of the practices with the new contract agreement. But if that's what the players want, less contact at practice, they need to bring it on game-day.

Week 1, just like week 16.
Truth. It was very sloppy out there. Those are things that can be shored up as the players get into game shape. Game is physical enough I don't blame them for not wanting to knock heads all week long, but you're right they need not forget the fundamentals on game day.

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard on the radio that Cush improvises a lot out there, going off script and making spur of the moment decisions that maybe puts the defense off balance on some plays? And yes, I do understand the 'read and react' nature of a defensive player, but if certain schemes are called and he is out there freelancing, then that could also be tempered by a simple coaches meeting. Not trying to be controversial again, I don't have a source for this, just something that's coming to mind.
Old 09-12-2013   #42
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Anyone know our philosophy on defensive audibles? Another thing Rivers was doing in the game (which the "elite QBs" are also known to do), is make alot of adjustments at the LOS. They break out of the huddle early, line up, assess the defense, and make adjustments/audibles at the LOS. In the first half, I thought Rivers was doing a good job of recognizing the blitz, where it was coming from, and how to exploit.

Anyone know if Cush, or someone else on D, has the ability to also make adjustments? If so, I don't really see it.
Showing pressure, without disguise pre-snap, can be very effective against lesser teams if you are talented... However, good qbs won't be intimidated by it... Instead, they are grateful for the information. Unless wade finally begins mixing in more zone and bluffing on pressure, we don't beat the elite offenses unless our guys have a great game and make a ton of special plays...

Hopefully, that ugly half against San Diego is the start of some badly need nuance on defense.
Old 09-13-2013   #43
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I personally don't get on Wade about being stubborn, is because I just don't see it. I don't think we played zone any more in the second half than we did in the first.

If the guys on the TV say we're playing man coverage doesn't necessarily make it so. It wasn't true in the Patriots game, it wasn't true in Monday night's game.

IMO, the biggest difference was who was playing what. Instead of playing Manning on the line & attacking the QB (like he did with 7:13 left in the first half) he put him on Antonio Gates in the second half.

Instead of Brian Cushing as the primary blitzer, like he was saying in the first half, he dropped Brian into coverage in the second half instead of Mays.

That one pass thrown past Brooks Reed for the TD..... I didn't see any other, could have been beat if Brooks had not let Matthews get into his route free. He should have put his hands on him, slowed him down.... that play wouldn't have happened, had nothing to do with the defensive play call.

As far as McCain getting beat in man coverage.... I said in another thread, that I've never seen Eddie Royal run so many routes so well. That is not his game. He was a second round bust, because he couldn't run anything but a go route. I would have expected him to hit us with a go route at some time during the game & I can't think of anyone other than Brice McCain who'd be fast enough to play him man-to-man. If I'd have known he was going to be running routes like that I'd have put the more physical Kareem on Royal, or Brandon Harris.
I stopped reading after your first statement because even Wade Phillips came out and said as much as we played a lot more zone in the second half. You obviously don't have a clear understanding of defense in professional football.
Old 09-13-2013   #44
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

How I wish we could've played the Patriots early in the season. I think our D could've handled the team that played last night!
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I stopped reading after your first statement because even Wade Phillips came out and said as much as we played a lot more zone in the second half. You obviously don't have a clear understanding of defense in professional football.
"more zone" could mean a lot of things. Could mean more on a per snap basis.. could mean more as in a scheme basis.

Generally speaking we play man on the outside, zone underneath. Wade could have been saying we played more deep zones.
Old 09-13-2013   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Here's a Link to the GaryKubiakShow, they also brought in Ted Johnson to give his take on the game. His take on the transformation of the defense is more in line with mine, than it is with the "we played a lot more zone" take. If nothing else, just to prove I'm not crazy & there are others that saw the same thing I did.

Our CBs play man almost exclusively. Everybody else is generally in some kind of zone. They'll play man to man in some situations, but they're generally playing zone. LBs & Safeties.

This playing "too much zone" thing started last year with color commentators thinking they know better than Wade Phillips. It helped "explain" some things the casual fan wants to believe. But if you watch the game, there's no way you can believe our defense is as simple as Trent Dilfer would have you believe.

As far as what Wade Phillips is telling the media, he's just going to give them a simple answer & hope they're satisfied with that. He's not going to give them everything OC are trying to figure out. I.E. it's coachspeak.
Old 09-13-2013   #47
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Admit you don't see defense like the Ravens in 2000. Or the Broncos in the 90d's when Elway won Super Bowls it is not like that anymore. I understand Smith and Reed did not play but the tide is definitely towards offensive play now.
Old 09-13-2013   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Admit you don't see defense like the Ravens in 2000. Or the Broncos in the 90d's when Elway won Super Bowls it is not like that anymore. I understand Smith and Reed did not play but the tide is definitely towards offensive play now.
But that's not exactly a recent development. There was nothing in this offseason to push things more to the offense like there had been in previous seasons.

So our D can at least be as good as the best defense last year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #49
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But that's not exactly a recent development. There was nothing in this offseason to push things more to the offense like there had been in previous seasons.

So our D can at least be as good as the best defense last year.
No, just a point I am making.
Old 09-13-2013   #50
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this was interesting. Maybe should go in the Cush thread.

http://t.co/2fxLYdFpcz

"After reviewing the tape, Houston Texans coaches found six more tackles for Cushing. His stat line now includes 11 total tackles, his crucial interception and a pass breakup. Mercilus finished with seven tackles, Manning and defensive end Jared Crick each had six and inside linebacker Joe Mays had five."

General impression seemed to be that Cushing didn't do too much besides the interception.

Crick in on six tackles. Very respectable.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #51
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's a Link to the GaryKubiakShow, they also brought in Ted Johnson to give his take on the game. His take on the transformation of the defense is more in line with mine, than it is with the "we played a lot more zone" take. If nothing else, just to prove I'm not crazy & there are others that saw the same thing I did.

Our CBs play man almost exclusively. Everybody else is generally in some kind of zone. They'll play man to man in some situations, but they're generally playing zone. LBs & Safeties.

This playing "too much zone" thing started last year with color commentators thinking they know better than Wade Phillips. It helped "explain" some things the casual fan wants to believe. But if you watch the game, there's no way you can believe our defense is as simple as Trent Dilfer would have you believe.

As far as what Wade Phillips is telling the media, he's just going to give them a simple answer & hope they're satisfied with that. He's not going to give them everything OC are trying to figure out. I.E. it's coachspeak.
Actually, that proves Nate's point. He wasn't saying we played some sort of exclusive zone coverage. He was stating that we implemented more zone in the second half in comparison to the first which they stated as well on the link you provided. In the first, the heavy blitz packages left us in man to man across the board. Maybe you thought Nate meant exclusive zone but I am guessing that wasn't his meaning. Less heavy blitz packages and more zone implemented in the coverage in various spots which was not what we were mainly doing in the first half.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read