Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster-Tate vs LT-Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
to me, Foster looks slow. He isn't running with the pop he had earlier in his career....I don't want to say he's spent, but he doesn't look like an elite back out there. Not trying to be knee-jerk or anything.

I'm hoping that he's just not in full-speed "football shape" after all the not participating in the preseason but I'm kind of concerned. This happens so it would be silly to think that it couldn't happen to Foster. Sometimes it's a guy who gets out of shape or out of his groove and he bounces right back. Other times he's just lost a step somewhere along the way. Maybe he doesn't want it as bad. Maybe he's been hit too many times. For whatever reason right now Foster isn't the same back and if he doesn't bounce back then it's time to start looking for that next great ZBS runner. Ben Tate! Cierre Wood! Step on up you might be a winner!

But I'd really rather see Arian back to form and cutting the way he used to. Last night he just didn't seem to be seeing the cut back lanes or if he did he often didn't take them.
Old 09-10-2013   #22
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
pssh....... that 1 handed catch had me screaming like a little girl (ask my wife)....

I was disappointed he didn't do anything with it, but that catch was impressive.
That was one helluva 1 yard gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #23
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm hoping that he's just not in full-speed "football shape" after all the not participating in the preseason but I'm kind of concerned. This happens so it would be silly to think that it couldn't happen to Foster. Sometimes it's a guy who gets out of shape or out of his groove and he bounces right back. Other times he's just lost a step somewhere along the way. Maybe he doesn't want it as bad. Maybe he's been hit too many times. For whatever reason right now Foster isn't the same back and if he doesn't bounce back then it's time to start looking for that next great ZBS runner. Ben Tate! Cierre Wood! Step on up you might be a winner!

But I'd really rather see Arian back to form and cutting the way he used to. Last night he just didn't seem to be seeing the cut back lanes or if he did he often didn't take them.
That's all I'm saying. I mean,rbs sometimes fall off a cliff. Look at alexander in seattle and larry johnson in KC.Those guys were beast 1 yr,then the next year they were a shell of theselves. One thing we've seen under Kubes is the can find find rbs. Tate runs hard and he's a skilled runner too.He's not the receiving threat of foster,but he's not going down like foster right now.Its 1 game,but I noticed last yr he was going down on arm tackles.
Old 09-10-2013   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I think you're a little ahead of yourself. This is ONE game. Foster didn't look great but this wasn't the Miami game. If at the end of the year Foster is sub 4.0 ypc then you might consider what you're talking about but Foster is 27, not 31.

Foster's successor is not on the roster right now. Tate is 25. You don't release a bell-cow runner for a guy 2 years his junior. You tender the younger guy an offer that nets you a 1st and you keep your horse and ride him 2 more years.

Mike
Cierre Wood might be his successor. All in all though, Foster looked like a guy who hasn't played football in 7 months. He missed OTA's, TC and all preseason. Foster will be back to normal soon. Hopefully Tate can stay healthy and keep Foster from having a bazillion touches this year.
Old 09-10-2013   #25
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
That's all I'm saying. I mean,rbs sometimes fall off a cliff. Look at alexander in seattle and larry johnson in KC.Those guys were beast 1 yr,then the next year they were a shell of theselves. One thing we've seen under Kubes is the can find find rbs. Tate runs hard and he's a skilled runner too.He's not the receiving threat of foster,but he's not going down like foster right now.Its 1 game,but I noticed last yr he was going down on arm tackles.
Johnson was kind of a 1 year wonder really. Hip wasn't it? Kind of an Earl Campbell. I don't worry about that as much with Foster.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #26
theNumber80
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 theNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
to me, Foster looks slow. He isn't running with the pop he had earlier in his career....I don't want to say he's spent, but he doesn't look like an elite back out there. Not trying to be knee-jerk or anything.
This. How so many Texans fans refuse to acknowledge that Foster is not even close to an elite back is ridiculous. I don't care about Foster's bulk stats, the fact is he goes down on first contact and doesn't make people miss. Tate is a better runner as far I'm concerned, his injury-plagued year have just made people think he sucks.
theNumber80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #27
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Johnson was kind of a 1 year wonder really. Hip wasn't it? Kind of an Earl Campbell. I don't worry about that as much with Foster.

Mike
He had 2 exceptional years with back to back 1700 yard seasons. He was hurt about half way through the next season and was never the same player. He had about 750 carries over the 2 great years.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #28
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNumber80 View Post
This. How so many Texans fans refuse to acknowledge that Foster is not even close to an elite back is ridiculous. I don't care about Foster's bulk stats, the fact is he goes down on first contact and doesn't make people miss. Tate is a better runner as far I'm concerned, his injury-plagued year have just made people think he sucks.
But see the thing is, you're wrong.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #29
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary Kubiak wants close RB split; LINK

Quote:
HOUSTON -- Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak liked what he saw out of backup running back Ben Tate Monday night and wants to keep his carries close to starter Arian Foster's for now.

"I wish it would have come out a little more closer to even; I think I said that after the game," Kubiak said of their split Monday night in San Diego. "Obviously, it was Arian's first time out this year. He didn't play any in the preseason. I think Ben's had an excellent preseason. I want to keep it somewhat close right now and watch them working to [see] what's going on."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #30
theNumber80
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 theNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respectedtheNumber80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico View Post
But see the thing is, you're wrong.
Nope, I'm right. I have no reason to hate on the starting running back on my favorite team. I just go by what I see and the past 2 years, Foster has been one of the most overrated players in the league. He's not even a top 10 RB IMO. If Ben Tate got the amount of carries he got, I'd guarantee you our rushing game would resemble 2011. It's no coincidence that once our top 3 o-line in 2011 started to regress/players departing, that Foster's production has dropped. He relies on his offensive line way more than the elite backs of the NFL.
theNumber80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNumber80 View Post
Nope, I'm right. I have no reason to hate on the starting running back on my favorite team. I just go by what I see and the past 2 years, Foster has been one of the most overrated players in the league. He's not even a top 10 RB IMO. If Ben Tate got the amount of carries he got, I'd guarantee you our rushing game would resemble 2011. It's no coincidence that once our top 3 o-line in 2011 started to regress/players departing, that Foster's production has dropped. He relies on his offensive line way more than the elite backs of the NFL.
I hate ruling players out, but if I had to make a choice today I'd go with Tate over Foster.

I won't say foster can't find his old swag, but he has not been all that for about the past year up until now. He goes down easily and he looks slow.

Gonna be hard to justify giving Arian tons of carries if he keeps looking mediocre and Tate looks better.

But as always, we'll see.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #32
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6349 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I saw some burst in him tonight that reminded me of the old him, but to me it seems like teams are doing a good job of taking away those cutback lanes Arian used to be well known for hitting. I would try mixing it up with some quick hitting running plays like some traps to kind of counter that. Its just what I see from the naked eye.
This is a good point. Foster nearly scored on their first TD drive and his acceleration looked fine. I am not going to freak out about him until we see more evidence.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #33
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

I had this discussion last year,but chalked it up to his new diet.I thought with tate being hurt last year that forsett should've gotten more carries and handled the 3rd down stuff.When arian was beasting,he had a high ypr 10 ish and he would run thru arm tackles.Last year his yards per catch were avg and those same arm tackles were bringing him down. He's never been a violent runner,more of a vision glider type,but what made him special was the ability to run through arms and get yards after. Similar to what we saw in alfred morris last yr. I know its early and he didn't have training camp because he was nursing injuries,but he looks like a rb with a lot of touches in his body. We will see and I hope I'm wrong,but if one guy is 3ypc and another is 6, you can't blame it on the line. If the line is the problem,then both guys would be around the same.
Old 09-11-2013   #34
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope his 5 yr 43.5 mil contract he signed (20.75 mil guaranteed) won't hurt our future flexibility. In fact if his poor play continues I wonder when the team can safely cut him
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #35
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
I hope his 5 yr 43.5 mil contract he signed (20.75 mil guaranteed) won't hurt our future flexibility. In fact if his poor play continues I wonder when the team can safely cut him
www.overthecap.com

Looking at it,they have at least 2 more with foster.This yr plus 1
Old 09-11-2013   #36
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

"Slow to, quick through"....... thats something that running backs try to accomplish running with the ball. Using patience and when you see it bursting through the hole. I almost see Arian being a little too patient sometimes, and watching him in the playoffs I saw more of a sense of urgency. And he definitely had more of a sense of urgency early in his career. On these stretch plays I just see him kind of gliding trying to find a lane, but he's not really putting his foot in the ground and getting upfield like I've seen him do. I won't question his "want to" because I have no doubt he has plent of heart. I just think he needs to turn on some film of him running the ball his rookie year and see how decisive he was once he decided to hit the hole.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #37
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
"Slow to, quick through"....... thats something that running backs try to accomplish running with the ball. Using patience and when you see it bursting through the hole. I almost see Arian being a little too patient sometimes, and watching him in the playoffs I saw more of a sense of urgency. And he definitely had more of a sense of urgency early in his career. On these stretch plays I just see him kind of gliding trying to find a lane, but he's not really putting his foot in the ground and getting upfield like I've seen him do. I won't question his "want to" because I have no doubt he has plent of heart. I just think he needs to turn on some film of him running the ball his rookie year and see how decisive he was once he decided to hit the hole.
I agree. Its like a lot of self preservation going on.He's been hesitant to just stick his foot in the ground and come downhill. Like you said, in the playoffs we saw that sense of urgency,but it was generally lacking last yr during the season.
Old 09-12-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I agree. Its like a lot of self preservation going on.He's been hesitant to just stick his foot in the ground and come downhill.
Anytime he sticks his foot in the ground, he slips & falls.

He looked fine to me. When the holes were there, he took advantage of them, or he fell down (that one time). When they weren't, he didn't.

On that 4th & 1, they had a great screen shot from above the players. It would be great if someone can get us a gif of that play. I'd like to hear from those that know, what went wrong there. I can't tell if Wade Smith went after the wrong LB, or if Chris Myers didn't get off his initial block soon enough.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read