Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #1
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default After Game Props

I want to throw a thread out there to give some props to guys who performed well or excelled above expectations from the previous game. There were some issues so this isn't about blue steel colored glasses hiding those issues but I saw more positives in the end than negative despite the slow start.

Keo: I have never been high on him and his coverage skills but the kid played ball last night. He definitely made his presence known on defense and special teams. Maybe we finally got a glimpse at what the coaching staff sees in the guy.

Daniel Manning: He was everywhere last night. Quietly this guy had one hell of a game. Both safeties showed up big time. He was 100mph every snap on D.

Joe Mays: The dude brought it. He was laying the hits out there in the run game which is exactly what this defense needed beside Cushing. We wanted someone with some tenacity and last night we saw it.

Matt Schaub: Great freaking game. Good movement in the pocket, looked down the field, and directed the team like a field general should. He did a tremendous job when you think how poor the line played. One stat I saw they figured he was hurried 18 freaking times. That's absurd yet he still stood in the pocket or moved to buy time and made things happen.

Dre: He was just being Andre. What's new? He is Mr. Consistent game in and game out despite never getting the allocades others do. He is a chain mover plain and simple.

DeAndre Hopkins: Great initial game for the rook. I believe it was 5 receptions for 66 yards. He got good separation and did I see a fade route in the endzone to the guy? We may have something here.

Brandon Brooks: Someone decided to block last night since some obviously chose to take the night off. Brooks was dictating to his opposition the direction they would go. He and Myers looked great inside.

Watt: Eh, again....what's new? It isn't even just about the pass rush. It's his ability to make tackles for lost and be so effective against the run.

Cushing: Shakey game most of the way but his pass coverage was spot on which is something we sure didn't have when he got injured. He'll knock more rust off against the Titans and return to his form with each game. What an interception.

Ben Tate: Love the straight ahead running style he imposes. He never went down easy and even got a couple of catches. He ran hard and strong all night.

O.D./G.G:Both tight ends had a solid game in the receiving department. They were medicore in their blocking unfortunately but their contributions in the passing game can't go overlooked. O.D. ran hard gaining a good amount of YAC as well.

Honorable Mention:

Ed Reed: He gets the best cheerleader award. Heh, I'll give him credit for being there cheering the guys on and getting in their ears. One of the first to scream and cheer Cush when he came to the sideline. Now get rid of those pom poms and get on the field for us

Last edited by deucetx; 09-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: After Game Props

Interesting. This will be the first time I've seen a Texans regular season game after it's played and after reading all the comments in here. At least I know what to look for. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #3
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Props to my main guy, ANDRE JOHNSON!!!
19 games with 10+ Catches 100+ Yard games, most in the nfl!!!
4 of them have came in the last 8 games? Dude is 32 but still plays like he's 25/26! Who gets that open ALL THE TIME and makes not one guy, but TWO GUYS miss and breaks their ankles! AJ DA GAWD!!!!! This is why AJ will forever be my favorite Texan of all time, he never left us and he's still playing with same passion and intensity since he's been drafted..
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #4
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Props to my main guy, ANDRE JOHNSON!!!
19 games with 10+ Catches 100+ Yard games, most in the nfl!!!
4 of them have came in the last 8 games? Dude is 32 but still plays like he's 25/26! Who gets that open ALL THE TIME and makes not one guy, but TWO GUYS miss and breaks their ankles! AJ DA GAWD!!!!! This is why AJ will forever be my favorite Texan of all time, he never left us and he's still playing with same passion and intensity since he's been drafted..

It is awesome how well he can create spacing and bring the ball in
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Joe Mays impressed me and hope he gets better. He could remove ILB from top three of my 2014 mock draft.

OTH our left side was pathetic for pro bowlers. Brown looked like a rookie and Smith looked like a guy just back from injury..ok he was. I am thinking OT that can play OG moved higher on my list. That was supposed to be Q pre injury.
Old 09-10-2013   #6
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown has always had a problem with Freeney though
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #7
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Duane Brown has always had a problem with Freeney though
A LOT of LTs has problems with Freeney!
Old 09-10-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I want to throw a thread out there to give some props to guys who performed well or excelled above expectations from the previous game. There were some issues so this isn't about blue steel colored glasses hiding those issues but I saw more positives in the end than negative despite the slow start.

Keo: I have never been high on him and his coverage skills but the kid played ball last night. He definitely made his presence known on defense and special teams. Maybe we finally got a glimpse at what the coaching staff sees in the guy.

Daniel Manning: He was everywhere last night. Quietly this guy had one hell of a game. Both safeties showed up big time. He was 100mph every snap on D.

Joe Mays: The dude brought it. He was laying the hits out there in the run game which is exactly what this defense needed beside Cushing. We wanted someone with some tenacity and last night we saw it.

Matt Schaub: Great freaking game. Good movement in the pocket, looked down the field, and directed the team like a field general should. He did a tremendous job when you think how poor the line played. One stat I saw they figured he was hurried 18 freaking times. That's absurd yet he still stood in the pocket or moved to buy time and made things happen.

Dre: He was just being Andre. What's new? He is Mr. Consistent game in and game out despite never getting the allocades others do. He is a chain mover plain and simple.

DeAndre Hopkins: Great initial game for the rook. I believe it was 5 receptions for 66 yards. He got good separation and did I see a fade route in the endzone to the guy? We may have something here.

Brandon Brooks: Someone decided to block last night since some obviously chose to take the night off. Brooks was dictated to his opposition the direction they would go. He and Myers looked great inside.

Watt: Eh, again....what's new? It isn't even just about the pass rush. It's his ability to make tackles for lost and be so effective against the run.

Cushing: Shakey game most of the way but his pass coverage was spot on which is something we sure didn't have when he got injured. He'll knock more rust off against the Titans and return to his form with each game. What an interception.

Ben Tate: Love the straight ahead running style he imposes. He never went down easy and even got a couple of catches. He ran hard and strong all night.

O.D./G.G:Both tight ends had a solid game in the receiving department. They were medicore in their blocking unfortunately but their contributions in the passing game can't go overlooked. O.D. ran hard gaining a good amount of YAC as well.

Honorable Mention:

Ed Reed: He gets the best cheerleader award. Heh, I'll give him credit for being there cheering the guys on and getting in their ears. One of the first to scream and cheer Cush when he came to the sideline. Now get rid of those pom poms and get on the field for us
Point by point, nailed it for me. Repped.

DeAndre 83% catch rate.

Kubes flashed testicles.

Nobody (with the team) panicked. Good road win, knocked off a lot of rust.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Joe mays- he turned what would have been 30yd runs into short gains at least twice in the first half... He is physical,shows good instincts, and is not a liability in pass game. Great pickup!

D Manning
OD

Schaub was great!

Mercilus wasn't bad at all considering his limited preseason

AJ

Lechler

Bullock- he was literally about to faint before that kick.what a huge moment for him,and he was feeling it,big time. I'm incredibly impressed. For bullock to feel that kind of pressure and make such a pure kick- he is clutch! I think we have a special dude at kicker.
Old 09-10-2013   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Still in SD, so haven't had a chance to watch the DVR of the game yet, but so far:

Kubiak - Called an aggressive game. Was saying it at the game even before the fake punt, which came at the perfect time. His 3rd down calls were great, IMO. They didn't all work (4th down call), but I love the aggressiveness. The man wanted to win last night. I love it. I can take the mistakes if they're a result of aggressiveness. This group of players is good enough that he should be able to be aggressive.

Schaub - shocked me when he actually evaded a couple times. He enabled Kubiak to be aggressive, and he looked closer to the 2011 Schaub than the 2012 version. That's a good thing.

I am excited for the season. In much the same way that a loss can affect you because of how it happens, the never say die attitude and aggressive playcalling made this a really good win.
Old 09-10-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Joe Mays impressed me and hope he gets better. He could remove ILB from top three of my 2014 mock draft.

OTH our left side was pathetic for pro bowlers. Brown looked like a rookie and Smith looked like a guy just back from injury..ok he was. I am thinking OT that can play OG moved higher on my list. That was supposed to be Q pre injury.
Mays had a better than average game; nothing to really write home about yet.
A couple of tackles were because he was free (due to the line playing well).
He penetrated the gap quickly on another run, but I thought the RB was not patient enough to wait for the FB.
Mays missed a tackle but we had somebody else to pick him up.
May was also pushed back badly on the fourth down conversion - not that we had a great chance to stop it though.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #12
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Still in SD, so haven't had a chance to watch the DVR of the game yet, but so far:

Kubiak - Called an aggressive game. Was saying it at the game even before the fake punt, which came at the perfect time. His 3rd down calls were great, IMO. They didn't all work (4th down call), but I love the aggressiveness. The man wanted to win last night. I love it. I can take the mistakes if they're a result of aggressiveness. This group of players is good enough that he should be able to be aggressive.

Schaub - shocked me when he actually evaded a couple times. He enabled Kubiak to be aggressive, and he looked closer to the 2011 Schaub than the 2012 version. That's a good thing.

I am excited for the season. In much the same way that a loss can affect you because of how it happens, the never say die attitude and aggressive playcalling made this a really good win.
Hopefully, our team can stay healthy! I also believed that Ed Reed has a good influence on this team!
Old 09-10-2013   #13
Tesuns
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to say Kube gets it for me for going on 4th down (2x), trying to score before the half (with 15 seconds, or so) before halftime, playing DeAndre mostly in the 2nd half and passing on 3rd downs late in the 4th quarter to run the clock out for the Chargers.
Tesuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #14
Coolhand_Luke
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Coolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respectedCoolhand_Luke is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL, I was about to start a topic on this. Seeing D. Brown getting tooled all night by Freeney was the most disturbing thing last night....for me. I get what you're saying "ThaJokka"...but damn, Freeney has been in the league since 2000 for god sake and sure the hell is not in his prime anymore. D. Brown is the talk in town for being top 2 or 3 LT in the league....yeah right!! Freeney still taking his lunch money and it's Embarrassing. Still love them Texans and they will get better every game, especially the D.
Coolhand_Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesuns View Post
I have to say Kube gets it for me for going on 4th down (2x), trying to score before the half (with 15 seconds, or so) before halftime, playing DeAndre mostly in the 2nd half and passing on 3rd downs late in the 4th quarter to run the clock out for the Chargers.
Yep! Show of hands, how many saw the quick snap on 4th down coming? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall, the whole offensive line played well, except for D Brown (can't believe I would be saying this.).

My hat is off to Wade Smith for coming back strong; I really hope he holds up in the long run.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #17
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand_Luke View Post
LOL, I was about to start a topic on this. Seeing D. Brown getting tooled all night by Freeney was the most disturbing thing last night....for me. I get what you're saying "ThaJokka"...but damn, Freeney has been in the league since 2000 for god sake and sure the hell is not in his prime anymore. D. Brown is the talk in town for being top 2 or 3 LT in the league....yeah right!! Freeney still taking his lunch money and it's Embarrassing. Still love them Texans and they will get better every game, especially the D.
You can be a top 2-3 player and have a bad night. We have 3 years of evidence saying he IS a top 2-3 LT in this league and 2-3 games saying he's not. You do the math.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #18
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great OP on all points.

Quote:
I would like to add his ability to get the defense riled up. To my mind's eye there came a point, specifically at 28-7, when he just seemed to have had it. There were some shots of him on the sidelines essentially giving a pre-game pep talk to anybody that would listen.

After that moment all I saw was a defense that just arrived at Quallcom and took over. Watt, of course, was leading by example.

I don't pretend to know what exactly "clicked" for this defense, be it finally getting their rhythm, an adjustment by Wade, or pride I believe the defense to have. But for me seeing Watt on the sidelines followed by a different intensity and zero points by the Chargers was the big turning point among turning points.

Hell, major props all around. Kubiak...........I don't know what got into you on that 4th down, but I think I'll buy you a drink for it. Nothing came from it, but now the Texans are on record for running a fake punt. Something other teams now have to consider.
Old 09-10-2013   #19
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default After Game Props

Two observations:
Schaub looked better in the pocket than I ever remember seeing.
The defense could potentially get two of its better starters back next week, both of whom are significant upgrades over their replacements, and both of whom will allow for more varied and/or more aggressive play calling.

(the phrase "both of whom" sounds funny when I re-read my post. Did I use that correctly?)
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #20
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

As a Schaub hater, I will gladly eat the served crow this game. Lets hope this is a sign of things to come and not him bringing his A game against a mediocre opponent.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read