Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #21
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Making the Leap, No. 25: Texans OLB Whitney Mercilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
Yeah he was sending the ball outta there real quick, resulting in lots of incomplete passes. I don't even remember them converting a 3rd down in the 2nd half after our D stepped up

Their last 5 series they failed to get a first down so it was a good turn around by the D
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Last night the defense looked ridiculous in the second half. Only problem was we could never finish the sack. It seemed like every other play we were sending loads of guys after rivers and we would penetrate the pocket with ease but he always got rid of the ball. Pretty frustrating to see us never get the sack but the disruption was certainly good to see.

I can only hope those sacks will start falling into place.
I saw a stat, his QBR was 0.04 or something in the 4th qtr.... fck a sack. It's all about pressure & when the QB is getting rid of the ball that quick, sometimes it's all you can do.
Old 09-10-2013   #23
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I saw a stat, his QBR was 0.04 or something in the 4th qtr.... fck a sack. It's all about pressure & when the QB is getting rid of the ball that quick, sometimes it's all you can do.
That's a great point. Although sometimes sack numbers are over rated I also think it gets under valued at times as well. Great to see the pressure, disruption, and complete dismantling of rivers timing but the sacks will need to be greater than two in future games for success in my humble opinion.

Rivers was able to dish the ball out and have incompletion after incompletion but how will Russell Wilson, kaepernick, manning and luck fare? I consider those as the top QBs we will face this season that have much better accuracy than rivers.

Gotta finish the play and get the sack seeing as how much we rush the passer. The QB has to pay.
Old 09-10-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As a young player I expect Mercilus to get better as he gains confidence in himself and his teammates. This was a good start against a good QB with a very quick release. Sacks are wonderful but incomplete pass subtracts a down just as well.
Old 09-10-2013   #25
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

5 tackles and a sack, and seemed involved on a vast majority of the plays to me. I'm feeling better about him now.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #26
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As a young player I expect Mercilus to get better as he gains confidence in himself and his teammates. This was a good start against a good QB with a very quick release. Sacks are wonderful but incomplete pass subtracts a down just as well.
That is correct but there isn't any loss of yards, the QB doesn't always hit the turf and after a QB is sacked multiple times they begin to make irrational decisions due to the mental block of being put on the ground.

I'm not saying pressure alone isn't great because it is but it's important to finish what they are actually trying to do in the first place which is get to the QB. Got to finish these plays.
Old 09-10-2013   #27
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 87806 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a great point. Although sometimes sack numbers are over rated I also think it gets under valued at times as well. Great to see the pressure, disruption, and complete dismantling of rivers timing but the sacks will need to be greater than two in future games for success in my humble opinion.

Rivers was able to dish the ball out and have incompletion after incompletion but how will Russell Wilson, kaepernick, manning and luck fare? I consider those as the top QBs we will face this season that have much better accuracy than rivers.

Gotta finish the play and get the sack seeing as how much we rush the passer. The QB has to pay.
Actually, for his career Rivers has a 64% completion rate. In the ONE season that Wilson, Kaepernick and Luck have each had, Wilson was at 64%, Kaepernick was at 63% and Luck was at 55%. While I believe that Wilson and Kaepernick bring a dynamic to the game that Rivers can't, they have not proven to be more accurate passers in their very limited sample size.

For the record, Manning is at 65% for his career. Schaub is at 65% as well. These one year phenoms aren't as amazing with their arms as we would like them to be.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #28
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Actually, for his career Rivers has a 64% completion rate. In the ONE season that Wilson, Kaepernick and Luck have each had, Wilson was at 64%, Kaepernick was at 63% and Luck was at 55%. While I believe that Wilson and Kaepernick bring a dynamic to the game that Rivers can't, they have not proven to be more accurate passers in their very limited sample size.

For the record, Manning is at 65% for his career. Schaub is at 65% as well. These one year phenoms aren't as amazing with their arms as we would like them to be.
Also worth noting the ability of said QBs to extend plays with their legs which was what I was also referring to. That's what is dangerous to me.

Manning has played 16 seasons (IIRC). His completion % holds more water than rivers when you expand the number of pass attempts/completions.

We're splitting hairs on this and don't want to derail this discussion to much.
Old 09-10-2013   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm feeling better about Mercilus after last night.

He got to Rivers a few times. Should have had at least one more sack but Rivers shook him off and ran for a first down.

I thought he played well overall.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a great point. Although sometimes sack numbers are over rated I also think it gets under valued at times as well. .
I think it's situational. If you've got a QB getting the ball out on time, you're just not going to get those sack numbers. Lucky for us, most QBs don't get the ball out on time, including the elite.

If you can say, "He had all day back there." Then you've got a problem. I don't think Rivers had all day... we weren't making it difficult for him early, but we made it difficult for him in the second half & it showed.

Russell Wilson, Collin Kaepernick..... I'd rather we hold them to .04 passer rating than to sack them 3 or 4 times.
Old 09-10-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I'm not saying pressure alone isn't great because it is but it's important to finish what they are actually trying to do in the first place which is get to the QB. Got to finish these plays.
I say it all the time. Sacks aren't the end all be all, but a higher number of sacks mean a higher number of pressures & hurries & everything that goes along with it (INTs)

So I get what you're saying. But I don't remember Rivers holding the ball more than 3 seconds but a couple of times (not that I broke out the stop watch).
Old 09-10-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
& there's a good chance we're not going to see Kaepernick at all.... at the very least we won't see a healthy Kaepernick. St Louis is going to grind it out & put a couple of licks on him before we see them.
Old 09-10-2013   #33
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I say it all the time. Sacks aren't the end all be all, but a higher number of sacks mean a higher number of pressures & hurries & everything that goes along with it (INTs)

So I get what you're saying. But I don't remember Rivers holding the ball more than 3 seconds but a couple of times (not that I broke out the stop watch).
This is true. Rivers was hurried and disrupted the entire second half. Not sure what changed, maybe Watt, the will to get after it on the defense, or scheme change by wade. Whatever it was, it worked and worked extremely well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read