Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2013   #1
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Foster-Tate vs LT-Turner

I've been going back and forth with a few guys on this. Last yr, I felt like foster was in self preservation mode a lot. I don't know if it was the new diet or what,but he was going down way too easy. Of course compounding my debate,tate was hurt last yr. Fast forward to this yr and foster is fighting injuries and tate is in a contract yr. Tonight is only 1 game,but Tate looks like the bull in a china shop while foster looks like a guy who didn't play in the preseason. This reminds me of the LT vs Turner situation a few yrs ago.

We heard how how the sd line wasn't as good as it was before. Yet, when turner would run, his ypc was a lot higher than that of lt. So sd put the high tender on turner even with the high salary declining LT. Turner was a little banged up,but still signed a good deal with Atl. He then rushed for 1600 yds and double digit tds while LT kinda faded in sd. He was later released,had a solid season for jets,then retired. I bring this up because we know how kubes-shanny thinks of rbs. Arian has a lot of touches in his body. He's been over 400 since becoming a full time starter. If tate stays healthy and run like he did tonight, I think the texans should high tender tate and if he plays well again,sign him and cut foster.
Old 09-10-2013   #2
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster-Tate vs LT-Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I've been going back and forth with a few guys on this. Last yr, I felt like foster was in self preservation mode a lot. I don't know if it was the new diet or what,but he was going down way too easy. Of course compounding my debate,tate was hurt last yr. Fast forward to this yr and foster is fighting injuries and tate is in a contract yr. Tonight is only 1 game,but Tate looks like the bull in a china shop while foster looks like a guy who didn't play in the preseason. This reminds me of the LT vs Turner situation a few yrs ago.

We heard how how the sd line wasn't as good as it was before. Yet, when turner would run, his ypc was a lot higher than that of lt. So sd put the high tender on turner even with the high salary declining LT. Turner was a little banged up,but still signed a good deal with Atl. He then rushed for 1600 yds and double digit tds while LT kinda faded in sd. He was later released,had a solid season for jets,then retired. I bring this up because we know how kubes-shanny thinks of rbs. Arian has a lot of touches in his body. He's been over 400 since becoming a full time starter. If tate stays healthy and run like he did tonight, I think the texans should high tender tate and if he plays well again,sign him and cut foster.
I think you're a little ahead of yourself. This is ONE game. Foster didn't look great but this wasn't the Miami game. If at the end of the year Foster is sub 4.0 ypc then you might consider what you're talking about but Foster is 27, not 31.

Foster's successor is not on the roster right now. Tate is 25. You don't release a bell-cow runner for a guy 2 years his junior. You tender the younger guy an offer that nets you a 1st and you keep your horse and ride him 2 more years.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #3
Mr.Scarface
Rookie

Rep Power: 1715 Mr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Knee-Jerk? LOL

Tate is not a #1 back. Someone will over pay him next year.
Mr.Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

to me, Foster looks slow. He isn't running with the pop he had earlier in his career....I don't want to say he's spent, but he doesn't look like an elite back out there. Not trying to be knee-jerk or anything.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We heard how how the sd line wasn't as good as it was before. Yet, when turner would run, his ypc was a lot higher than that of lt. So sd put the high tender on turner even with the high salary declining LT.
In 2007, Turner's last year in SD, LT had a higher ypc than Turner. In 2006 Turner did have a higher ypc than LT but LT was hardly in decline going 5.2 ypc for 1815 yds rushing - that was .1 ypc below the highest of his career and by far the most yds in a season.
Old 09-10-2013   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the scenario mostly fits, the only hitch is tate's injury history. however i dont think keeping tate over foster is a very viable option because of arian's contract. i dont know the money side of things, but i think we'll be riding foster for at least the next couple of seasons because it'd cost too much to do otherwise. that also means we'd be put in a similar situation - trying to get the most for tate before he leaves. in my opinion tate is very much a #1 back, and would actually be better on a more power/lead type offense. if not for injuries, i'd definitely trade a 1st to get a bellcow back like tate ... as it stands i'd offer a 2nd. as a texans fan i'd take a second for tate.
Old 09-10-2013   #7
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
to me, Foster looks slow. He isn't running with the pop he had earlier in his career....I don't want to say he's spent, but he doesn't look like an elite back out there. Not trying to be knee-jerk or anything.
I saw some burst in him tonight that reminded me of the old him, but to me it seems like teams are doing a good job of taking away those cutback lanes Arian used to be well known for hitting. I would try mixing it up with some quick hitting running plays like some traps to kind of counter that. Its just what I see from the naked eye.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2013   #8
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 967 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian does have a different running style than Tate. Tate is more of a vertical runner with less patience. Foster lets his blocks dev. longer and it results in big gains or no gains. Last night was the first action he has seen since last season so i also give him a bye. I think it would be a good idea to start Tate and let Foster finish with the defense worn down.
jtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #9
RCPM
DILLIGAF

Rep Power: 0 RCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup, we need to cut Foster after one off game.
RCPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #10
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a local Houston radio guy ripping Foster a new A-hole on NFL AM right now.

OUCH!

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
There's a local Houston radio guy ripping Foster a new A-hole on NFL AM right now.

OUCH!

TJ
They're ripping him on local radio too...something about his attitude when Tate waved him off the field and Arian showed displeasure.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #12
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
They're ripping him on local radio too...something about his attitude when Tate waved him off the field and Arian showed displeasure.
I think that's a good thing! It's showing he's not pleased with his performance and wants to be the guy out there getting carries. He's a competitor. When I'm benched in sports I sure as hell ain't happy about it.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #13
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I say let them both go and lets run with Cierre Wood, who's like a combo of both styles.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I think that's a good thing! It's showing he's not pleased with his performance and wants to be the guy out there getting carries. He's a competitor. When I'm benched in sports I sure as hell ain't happy about it.
I wasn't complaining. Wasn't a good look, but passion is good.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #15
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wasn't complaining. Wasn't a good look, but passion is good.
It was more directed at the radio guys, just piggybacking off your post.

I thought Foster flashed some really good runs, and I'm hoping he's just knocking rust off.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
to me, Foster looks slow. .
He's always looked slow.

I don't think we'll ever see him accelerate away from anyone like AD.

He runs different than Tate, Tate's a bruiser, looks for contact & will hit a skinny seam & blow it up. If not for his injury history I'd have no doubt he could be a #1 RB.

What I saw last night, was that Foster wasn't comfortable with his OL. He'll get his reads down & he'll be the Foster we know & love soon.
Old 09-10-2013   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I think you're a little ahead of yourself. This is ONE game. Foster didn't look great but this wasn't the Miami game. If at the end of the year Foster is sub 4.0 ypc then you might consider what you're talking about but Foster is 27, not 31.

Foster's successor is not on the roster right now. Tate is 25. You don't release a bell-cow runner for a guy 2 years his junior. You tender the younger guy an offer that nets you a 1st and you keep your horse and ride him 2 more years.

Mike
Bingo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I was not impressed with Foster's running or catching last night. Lethargic is the word that comes to mind. Tate looked good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I was not impressed with Foster's running or catching last night. Lethargic is the word that comes to mind. Tate looked good to me.
pssh....... that 1 handed catch had me screaming like a little girl (ask my wife)....

I was disappointed he didn't do anything with it, but that catch was impressive.
Old 09-10-2013   #20
busterspencer
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 busterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respectedbusterspencer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexas View Post
Arian does have a different running style than Tate. Tate is more of a vertical runner with less patience. Foster lets his blocks dev. longer and it results in big gains or no gains. Last night was the first action he has seen since last season so i also give him a bye. I think it would be a good idea to start Tate and let Foster finish with the defense worn down.
Foster goes down with a whimper if he doesn't have a huge hole. There is no fight in him.
busterspencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read