Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013   #601
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

A&M has several defensive starters who out for various reason, and they went plain jane defense for the first two games. They have yet to even dial up a blitz. SHSU used every trick in the book to make a game of it, including tons of misdirection and even a fake punt.
The defense didn't look at that great, and there are some concerns, but they'll be going up against Bama's offense which has a ton of question marks as well.
Old 09-08-2013   #602
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's gone too far this time.

Quote:
COLLEGE STATION- This past Saturday during Texas A&M’s big win, former Heisman Trophy winner and current starting quarterback Johnny Manziel scored a touchdown and proceeded to celebrate by killing one of the players on the opposing team.

The touchdown put Texas A&M up 37 points with :16 seconds left on the clock, and the opposing team’s player was pronounced dead on the field.

“I took him out immediately. We do not stand for unnecessary penalties like that here at Texas A&M,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said. “I know there was only :16 seconds left on the clock, but if he would’ve done that in the 1st quarter, I would’ve taken him out then too… at least until the offense took the field again. I mean, come on, he’s Johnny Football!”

After his 6th rushing touchdown of the day, Manziel began to celebrate. He pulled a Sharpie out of his sock, signed the football, accepted what appeared to be $400 cash from an unidentified man on the sidelines, and proceeded to punt the ball into the stands. A teammate then handed Manziel one of his famous sparkler cigars. Simultaneously, another teammate placed a smoking jacket over his shoulder pads. Manziel lit the cigar, took three puffs, and put it out on one of the opposing players. That opposing player caught fire immediately and began running around the field. Although, that player wasn’t the one who died. He is currently in the hospital recovering from third degree burns and humiliation.

After lighting the one player on fire, Manziel continued his antics by running to the coach’s wives section of the stands and making out with Mrs. Sumlin.
http://www.korkedbats.com/2013/09/04...-teams-player/
Old 09-09-2013   #603
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For those of you who aren't sick of all the coverage Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has been receiving, has CBS Sports got the gimmick for you.

You know who you are, Aggies fans and folks who just can't keep their eyes off a train wreck (or a heckuva good college football player). Apparently the folks at CBS think there are enough of you out there (and they're probably right) that they will have an extra camera on hand during Saturday's much-anticipated Texas A&M/Alabama showdown to follow Manziel's every move.

And they're calling it "Johnny Cam." For real.

"No matter where he is and no matter what part of the game it is, we will have a shot of it," Craig Silver, coordinating producer of college football for CBS Sports, told Sports Illustrated. "If he is anywhere in sight of that camera, we will catch it."

As hideous as it might sound, it's actually not a bad idea (except for the name -- that really is hideous). But you never know what Johnny Football is going to do at any given moment, so the folks at CBS might as well be ready.

Still, let's try not to encourage them too much. After all, you never know what Manziel is going to do at any given moment off the field too -- and we certainly don't want "Johnny Cam" up and running 24/7.

Or do we?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...#axzz2ePnsH57e
Old 09-09-2013   #604
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Stop your conspiracy theories...This is typical coverage for a returning Heisman winner...There's always a camera on them in these situations.

Leinart got the ridiculous oversaturated coverage when he came back after winning it...If i remember correctly that's when the pictures surfaced that had him doing keg stands & sitting in hot tubs with the ladies....which brought questions about his focus to NFL scouts.

Tebow got the same amount of coverage when he came back...do i even have to go there about his coverage?...the love affair with Urban Meyer...the preaching he does in the phillipines....the crying after he lost to Alabama in the SEC championship game?

Sam Bradford would've gotten it had he not gotten hurt...thereby putting him out of sight out of mind for many people.

The only reason why you guys think the media is out to get Johnny boy is b/c unlike the other 3 before him, noone really likes Manziel...hard to like a guy who acts like a jerk. He's got everyone to the point where they're just waiting for his next big "immature" act... & why shouldn't they wait? he hasn't let them down thus far.
Old 09-09-2013   #605
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

My wife tried to get her friend who runs a custom print shop to make her a Manziel shirt that said "Johnny Football is MONEY" but the lady declined because she thought johnny football was copyrighted but said she would come up with something else instead.
Old 09-09-2013   #606
Stemp
Brew Master

Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
My wife tried to get her friend who runs a custom print shop to make her a Manziel shirt that said "Johnny Football is MONEY" but the lady declined because she thought johnny football was copyrighted but said she would come up with something else instead.
Gotten lots of requests for Johnny Manziel or Johnny Football t-shirts to be printed. I always decline because I am licensed for Texas A&M and don't want to put it in jeopardy. However, the printer usually won't get into trouble for making unlicensed items unless they themselves are trying to sell them. But if whoever does sell them gets in the crosshairs, they can and will lose all of their inventory and may have to pay restitution depending on how much was sold.
Old 09-09-2013   #607
Stemp
Brew Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

The only reason why you guys think the media is out to get Johnny boy is b/c unlike the other 3 before him, noone really likes Manziel...hard to like a guy who acts like a jerk. He's got everyone to the point where they're just waiting for his next big "immature" act... & why shouldn't they wait? he hasn't let them down thus far.
Old 09-09-2013   #608
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Gotten lots of requests for Johnny Manziel or Johnny Football t-shirts to be printed. I always decline because I am licensed for Texas A&M and don't want to put it in jeopardy. However, the printer usually won't get into trouble for making unlicensed items unless they themselves are trying to sell them. But if whoever does sell them gets in the crosshairs, they can and will lose all of their inventory and may have to pay restitution depending on how much was sold.

her friend is licensed as well so thats probably why she declined
Old 09-09-2013   #609
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post

Yep, sure am...don't think he's that good...sorry
Old 09-09-2013   #610
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yep, sure am...don't think he's that good...sorry

how good does one have to be to break multiple sec records ?
Old 09-09-2013   #611
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Old 09-09-2013   #612
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
how good does one have to be to break multiple sec records ?
Breaking records in a college conference...even if it is the best conference, is no more of an indicator of how good you really are than winning the Heisman is imo...It just means you put up the best stats and nothing more. Hell, we may see Aaron Murray become the all-time leader in TD passes in the SEC this year over guys like Weurfel & Manning. Will anyone remember him when thinking of great SEC qb's though? Likely not b/c his talent doesn't match up with his career...unless of course he goes on to do big things in the NFL.........which is unlikely.

Apart from that, it depends on your criteria for being "good"..

I base mine off how your talent translates to the next level. & as i watch him, i don't think it translates very well; basically for alot of the same reasons i didn't see VY's translating.

Don't get me wrong, he obviously can play on the college level..I just don't think he's nearly as good as his stats may indicate & his fan boys champion him to be.
Old 09-09-2013   #613
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Breaking records in a college conference...even if it is the best conference, is no more of an indicator of how good you really are than winning the Heisman is imo...It just means you put up the best stats and nothing more. Hell, we may see Aaron Murray become the all-time leader in TD passes in the SEC this year over guys like Weurfel & Manning. Will anyone remember him when thinking of great SEC qb's though? Likely not b/c his talent doesn't match up with his career...unless of course he goes on to do big things in the NFL.........which is unlikely.

Apart from that, it depends on your criteria for being "good"..

I base mine off how your talent translates to the next level. & as i watch him, i don't think it translates very well; basically for alot of the same reasons i didn't see VY's translating.

Don't get me wrong, he obviously can play on the college level..I just don't think he's nearly as good as his stats may indicate & his fan boys champion him to be.

So when you says he's just not that good you are evaluating how he will be in the NFL? Because as a college QB he is pretty damn good and the stats while you think are meaningless are just a small part of the picture that he is pretty good currently.

While stats may be meaningless he is only the 5th player in history to throw for 3000 yards and rush for 1000 and he got to that point two games before any of the other 4 player in history. That does put you in short company for a hell of a year
Old 09-09-2013   #614
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we even allowed to talk about Manziel or does that break copy also? I can at least think what I want. This is still America. Right?
Old 09-09-2013   #615
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So when you says he's just not that good you are evaluating how he will be in the NFL? Because as a college QB he is pretty damn good and the stats while you think are meaningless are just a small part of the picture that he is pretty good currently.

While stats may be meaningless he is only the 5th player in history to throw for 3000 yards and rush for 1000 and he got to that point two games before any of the other 4 player in history. That does put you in short company for a hell of a year
Couldn't disagree with you more...the stats are the biggest part of the picture for him & always have been. Hell, the biggest reason he got into the heisman conversation in the 1st place was b/c he put up ridiculous stats against bad SEC teams.....that & b/c it was A&M's 1st year in the SEC.

he's good...but he's not nearly as good as people think prop him up to be...Dude had 1 good game against a great team.....There are examples of that every year all over the college landscape...Shall we take a stroll back to 2008 & watch Graham Harrell play the game of his life against Texas?
Old 09-09-2013   #616
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Couldn't disagree with you more...the stats are the biggest part of the picture for him & always have been. Hell, the biggest reason he got into the heisman conversation in the 1st place was b/c he put up ridiculous stats against bad SEC teams.....that & b/c it was A&M's 1st year in the SEC.

he's good...but he's not nearly as good as people think prop him up to be...Dude had 1 good game against a great team.....There are examples of that every year all over the college landscape...Shall we take a stroll back to 2008 & watch Graham Harrell play the game of his life against Texas?

He is good just not that good? Its getting more and more diluted. The kid isnt jesus but he is pretty damn good and I think he had more than a single good game but its clear you arent a fan
Old 09-09-2013   #617
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Hell, the biggest reason he got into the heisman conversation in the 1st place was b/c he put up ridiculous stats against bad SEC teams.....that & b/c it was A&M's 1st year in the SEC.
No... the biggest reason he got into the conversation was because people kept saying, "Whoa.... did you see that kid at A&M? What's his name? Johnny something. Johnny Football."
Old 09-09-2013   #618
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So, your yardstick of a talented college player is your projection of how good they might be in the NFL?

The Heisman and multiple SEC records are just for show? One good game? Dude had several OUTRAGEOUS games against good competition and beat the national champs in their own house last year.

Old 09-09-2013   #619
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
So, your yardstick of a talented college player is your projection of how good they might be in the NFL?

The Heisman and multiple SEC records are just for show? One good game? Dude had several OUTRAGEOUS games against good competition and beat the national champs in their own house last year.

Lol at good competition...lets look at this good competition.....

U mean that great competitive team arkansas? That same arkansas team that was sub .500 and still in the throws of petrino-gate and got beat by The ULM warhawks?.....no that couldnt be what you're talking about...

...or how about that great ole miss team that went 7-6 and got absolutely HAMMERED at home by a university of texas team who is supposedly in an inferior conference?...Nah, couldnt be them either...

Or maybe you're talking about that competitive Auburn team that was sub .500, winless in the SEC and managed to get their head coach fired just 2 years after he won a national championship? Still no?

We know what he did against Florida and LSU....and it wasnt that great..

That leaves the non-conference games which we already know, arent on par talent wise player for player...and the Alabama game....his 1 good game against top flight talent and competitive team.

Seems to me you guys are the 1's who got brainwashed by the media and the all the hype. instead of condeming the media u guys should be praising them for building up your boy in the 1st place. He benefited tremendously from the SEC hype as well as padding his stats against inferior non conference and SEC teams.

Think for yourselves people.

Last edited by Mr teX; 09-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2013   #620
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Does this critteria fit Schaub at the pro level?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read