Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013   #801
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 6629 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB (Yates named #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Schaub is far better than the other two

Maybe you should hope the best for tj and case vs top tier Ds in the nfl
far better in the pre-season? schaub wasn't all that great actually in term of pre-season. schaub is superior at this point in time and he's our guy but to say that TJ and Case weren't impressive is off.

there's a reason why this thread is one of the longest current threads.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #802
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
far better in the pre-season? schaub wasn't all that great actually in term of pre-season. schaub is superior at this point in time and he's our guy but to say that TJ and Case weren't impressive is off.

there's a reason why this thread is one of the longest current threads.

If Yates and Case were playing against first teamers Id put more weight on their performance however this is not the case.

Case and his UoH tie is a reason this thread is so long, its the off season two and three people love to hate Schuab
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #803
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I have no idea what Kubiak saw in Schaub to make him think he could be a starter in this league. Might have been more of his QB Guru "hubris" for all I know.... "Get me anybody but Carr Damgnbit!!!"

Matt's best game before the trade was an 18 of 34, 298 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT with a 112 passer rating against the 26th rank defense in the regular season.

Yate's best game to date was an 11 for 20, 159 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT with a 97 passer rating against the 7th rank defense in the play offs.

Case's best game so far was an 11 for 18, 150 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT with a 106.2 passer rating against Miami's second team defense in the preseason.

So, Kubiak has as much information on Tj that he had on Matt before making Matt the starter sight unseen, before even talking to him, so in that respect, he's probably got more info on both Tj & Case than he had on Matt.

Do I think Yates/Keenum can be a starter in this league? No, but I think they've each earned a shot & both give me reason to believe they can be. We've got 7 regular season games where Yates wasn't asked to do a whole lot, but he did what he was asked well, most of the time. We've got a good play off game from Yates & a horrible game (where he was asked to do a lot more than previous games).

Case is the bigger unknown. I don't think there is anything that can really prepare a kid for being an NFL starting QB. You do the best you can, but then you have to throw them out there & see what they're made of. Who'd have thunk Jeff Garcia would have a better career than Ryan Leaf?
Old 09-09-2013   #804
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I have no idea what Kubiak saw in Schaub to make him think he could be a starter in this league. Might have been more of his QB Guru "hubris" for all I know.... "Get me anybody but Carr Damgnbit!!!"

Matt's best game before the trade was an 18 of 34, 298 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT with a 112 passer rating against the 26th rank defense in the regular season.
LOL - yeah, against the defending SB champs. It wasn't just Kubiak who saw something in Schaub. There were reports multiple teams offered 1st round picks the year before the Texans traded for him.
Old 09-09-2013   #805
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Both played very well in preseason, both had very good command of the offense and both made plays with their legs when the play broke down.

Maybe you've been watching the Texans too closely and think that WR's should have to slow down, come back to the ball or stop to make a catch and that QB's should assume the fetal position at the mere whiff of pressure.

What would a QB have to do to impress you? Be drafted early in the 1st round? Have a lot of hoopla about them coming out of college?
Not saying that these are the most important criteria to me but I can say it sure don't hurt. And before you pounce, not saying it helps either. Leaf, Russell, list of stinkers ad infinum...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #806
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
LOL - yeah, against the defending SB champs. It wasn't just Kubiak who saw something in Schaub. There were reports multiple teams offered 1st round picks the year before the Texans traded for him.
Kelly Holcombe had a "nice" game against the Pats that year as well.

Gus Frerotte threw for 360 yards & 2 TDs (1 INT) against them.
Old 09-09-2013   #807
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And that is why scouts watch games, not just box score watch. I can't remember how Schaub, Holcomb, and Frerotte looked against the Pats that year. But I do remember that Schaub was being touted as a future NFL starting QB, and that multiple teams were interested. I dont remember that about the other two.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #808
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
And that is why scouts watch games, not just box score watch. I can't remember how Schaub, Holcomb, and Frerotte looked against the Pats that year. But I do remember that Schaub was being touted as a future NFL starting QB, and that multiple teams were interested. I dont remember that about the other two.
My point was that 1 game couldn't have been all there was to Kubiak's decision. Had to be more.
Old 09-09-2013   #809
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this team only needs a starter and a solid backup at the QB + a decent guy on PS like Keenum last season or a top notch draft pick on roster learning behind other two. Towards end of this season as QBs go down and teams gear up for the play offs (or desperately try to remain in the race) I hope for a trade of Yates. Let's use our surplus to strengthen another spot or two in 2014 draft.

I enjoy being this deep at a prime position but not when we have issues elsewhere.
Old 09-09-2013   #810
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do you just randomly pull stuff up and call it the same? 1st off Holcomb's game wasn't close to the same. 2nd you are comparing an injury plagued QB in his 10th season on his way out of the league with a young buck stuck behind the highest paid player in football. Similarly Frerotte was in his 12th year, had already been judged and was on his way out of the league.
Old 09-09-2013   #811
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Do you just randomly pull stuff up and call it the same? 1st off Holcomb's game wasn't close to the same. 2nd you are comparing an injury plagued QB in his 10th season on his way out of the league with a young buck stuck behind the highest paid player in football. Similarly Frerotte was in his 12th year, had already been judged and was on his way out of the league.
That's the only point that was relevant. A good game against that New England defense (regardless of the fact that they had just won the Super Bowl) does not qualify one as an instant, sight-unseen, starter.

Are you calling Schaub injury plagued?
Old 09-09-2013   #812
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think this team only needs a starter and a solid backup at the QB + a decent guy on PS like Keenum last season or a top notch draft pick on roster learning behind other two. Towards end of this season as QBs go down and teams gear up for the play offs (or desperately try to remain in the race) I hope for a trade of Yates. Let's use our surplus to strengthen another spot or two in 2014 draft.

I enjoy being this deep at a prime position but not when we have issues elsewhere.
The trade deadline is somewhere around Halloween(week 8), so those injuries can't come to late in the season.
Old 09-09-2013   #813
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Excuse me, I was thinking of Tim Couch and I do not consider him anything like Schaub because he had repeat injuries to his throwing arm and hand.
Old 09-09-2013   #814
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would. Has Schaub ever put together back to back years together playing every game?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #815
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I would. Has Schaub ever put together back to back years together playing every game?
Well he has played all 16 games 3 of the last 4 seasons. That answers your question.
Old 09-09-2013   #816
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was curious about which QBs were available when Kubiak went out and got Schaub so I did a bit of "Googling"... This from Football's Future...

Quote:
Top Quarterbacks
Matt Schaub, RFA, Atlanta Falcons
The free agent quarterback class is light in 2007, but teams in true need of a field general may be highly interested in Schaub. He has an NFL arm and has shown flashes of possibly being a legitimate quality starting quarterback. It is likely that just a handful of teams would aggressively pursue Schaub, but if someone is willing to pay decent money and forfeit a draft pick for Schaub, he could be lured away from his spot behind Michael Vick. In the end, Schaubís chances of re-signing with the Falcons donít look good, as Schaub will likely pursue a bigger role in another offense. A handful of teams could look for their starter in Atlanta.
The next two guys they listed (and described) were Tim Rattay and Jeff Garcia. You can click the link to see the write-ups. The others they listed were...
Quote:
Other Free Agent Quarterbacks

Drew Bledsoe, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
Aaron Brooks, UFA, Oakland Raiders
Rohan Davey, RFA, Arizona Cardinals
Brad Johnson, UFA, Minnesota Vikings
Shaun King, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
John Navarre, RFA, Arizona Cardinals
Anthony Wright, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
That was all that there was to pick from when Smithiak decided - in 2007 - that Carr had to go. And no, neither Young nor Leinart were available at the time. ...lucky for us.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #817
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That was all that there was to pick from when Smithiak decided - in 2007 - that Carr had to go. And no, neither Young nor Leinart were available at the time. ...lucky for us.
Here were the 2007 draft picks:

Quote:
1 1 JaMarcus Russell Raiders Louisiana State
1 22 Brady Quinn Browns Notre Dame
2 4 Kevin Kolb Eagles Houston
2 8 John Beck Dolphins Brigham Young
2 11 Drew Stanton Lions Michigan State
3 29 Trent Edwards Bills Stanford
4 4 Isaiah Stanback Cowboys Washington
5 14 Jeff Rowe Bengals Nevada
5 37 Troy Smith Ravens Ohio State
6 31 Jordan Palmer Redskins Texas-El Paso
7 7 Tyler Thigpen Vikings Coastal Carolina
Translation - a whole lotta nothing.
Old 09-09-2013   #818
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I remember when Kubiak came & everyone was talking about drafting Reggie Bush. I didn't like that idea because I thought Reggie was not a 3 down back & I was confident DD would play another year.

I didn't know Mario Williams & I was open to drafting D'Brickshaw Ferguson. But I said if we're going to do something stupid, we should draft Vince Young because we're going to be looking to replace David Carr in a years time anyway. I've been called hard-headed before, but when they gave Carr that $8M I dropped the Vince Young thing.

Sure enough, we were looking to replace David Carr a year later.

But if we go even farther back, I wanted Kubiak to bring Jake Plummer, but we got screwed on that deal.

In hindsight, I have no problem saying their decision to get Schaub was handsdown the best decision they could have made.

Doesn't change the fact that I don't know what Kubiak saw that made him so confident to do it & I still doubt that New England game was it.
Old 09-09-2013   #819
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Just a hint for future reference - when asking questions in order to demonstrate your point, you might want to know the answer to those questions before you ask them.
Old 09-09-2013   #820
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Then I guess nothing will.

Call me hard headed, but I'm still not convinced Kaepernick or Luck can be starters in this league.
I'm convinced Kaepernick can be a starter in this league.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read