Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2013   #41
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
I agree 100 %. Anybody watching games today. It is obvious that a mobile QB is a big advantage. Watching Oak vs Colts. You don't need a ColinK but you do need something beside the absolute worst MS. I think it was painfully clear at the end of last year and the playoffs. Our D is not good enough to carry us. The offense is much more important now than what is was 10-15 years ago.
Is that why two defensive-minded teams were in the Superbowl last season?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #42
Sway
Veteran

Rep Power: 183 Sway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub #10, NFL starting QB rankings 1-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Schaub will have a Flacco like chip on his shoulder this season and win the MVP!

I SURE HOPE SO!!!

BUT:

BUT... Sure Schaub looks a little slow when one looks at his eyes, but I know there's more there. How else could he be in the NFL? ( fill in your favorite flakeout here) I think he may have attended a public speaking class in the off season - his poise and presence are much improved so good for him! That reflects better upon the entire team. GOOD!

Two seasons ago before we lost him, I remembered hearing on the radio that we were AFc's #1 ranked team ( I forget who we played, but it was a win) And that same day found out about the lisfranc injury. ugh.

Fast forward a year, we're off to a bad a$$ start 11- ? and what happens? No matter how he plays early season, I know I'll have those late season doubts creep into my head come November. How do you keep him motivated and focused? He says what he needs to in press conferences, but when it's him and the team in the huddle, or in the locker room at half time and we're not getting ti done, what is he saying? We always come back SO weak in the 3rd its predictable! Only certain personalities and individuals can fit a true leader on a football field (or hell, in life for that matter) and he has a long way to go before the league recognizes him as a leader (IMO). Personally, I think he oughta have a weekly contest between Yates n Keenum just to keep up. Would it be too much work? Would it be senseless? I dunno, I'll call my blonde woman lady card, but I love my Texans and as much as I've tried to stand by Schaub it seems I'm NEVER the one getting the last laugh and I"M TIRED OF IT! AND SO IS AJ i'm sure.
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #43
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48499 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway View Post
I SURE HOPE SO!!!

BUT:

BUT... Sure Schaub looks a little slow when one looks at his eyes, but I know there's more there. How else could he be in the NFL? ( fill in your favorite flakeout here) I think he may have attended a public speaking class in the off season - his poise and presence are much improved so good for him! That reflects better upon the entire team. GOOD!

Two seasons ago before we lost him, I remembered hearing on the radio that we were AFc's #1 ranked team ( I forget who we played, but it was a win) And that same day found out about the lisfranc injury. ugh.

Fast forward a year, we're off to a bad a$$ start 11- ? and what happens? No matter how he plays early season, I know I'll have those late season doubts creep into my head come November. How do you keep him motivated and focused? He says what he needs to in press conferences, but when it's him and the team in the huddle, or in the locker room at half time and we're not getting ti done, what is he saying? We always come back SO weak in the 3rd its predictable! Only certain personalities and individuals can fit a true leader on a football field (or hell, in life for that matter) and he has a long way to go before the league recognizes him as a leader (IMO). Personally, I think he oughta have a weekly contest between Yates n Keenum just to keep up. Would it be too much work? Would it be senseless? I dunno, I'll call my blonde woman lady card, but I love my Texans and as much as I've tried to stand by Schaub it seems I'm NEVER the one getting the last laugh and I"M TIRED OF IT! AND SO IS AJ i'm sure.
Good post. The issue with Matt isn't that he is the worst QB in history, but that he tends to flake at the worst times. I agree that there is something in a QB's eyes that tells you something about what he has inside. Look at Matt then look at Case and tell me who wants it worse. Same with Manning, Favre, Elway, etc. Not comparing Case to them yet, he hasnt earned it, but he gets that look that I like to see in a QB.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #44
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Im with you Sway but I hope he has seen EVERYONE basically calling his manhood into question this offseason. Even Rick Smiths comments about QB's being measured by championships has to have sent some sort of ripple into Schuabs ego and upset him. It is human nature.

Unless my other fear is true and he is just a Kubiak robot that lacks emotion.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #45
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
I'd take romo. Naked bootleg he has wheels for a first down. Also has a better arm. Would take flacco also.
I don't understand how Romo haters don't see that he would kill it in our offense. He has to run for his life on 90% of the snaps, AND he has to throw 50 times a game with no running game to speak of, AND with all that he's still a pretty good QB.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I don't understand how Romo haters don't see that he would kill it in our offense. He has to run for his life on 90% of the snaps, AND he has to throw 50 times a game with no running game to speak of, AND with all that he's still a pretty good QB.
Because along with all that, he makes more mistakes than Matt. It's possible that Romo wouldn't make as many mistakes in our offense, because it is so QB friendly... but we don't know that.

He makes some bad decisions, I'd say more bad decisions than Matt.
Old 09-08-2013   #47
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Because along with all that, he makes more mistakes than Matt. It's possible that Romo wouldn't make as many mistakes in our offense, because it is so QB friendly... but we don't know that.

I agree that he makes more bad decisions, but I think that's because he's put in situations where he HAS to make something happen. To be fair, I think last season was Romo's worst by far, highlighted by several bad multiple int games.

Obviously we'll never know, but it's just my opinion that he'd be at least as good as Matt in our offense.
Old 09-08-2013   #48
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How many mistakes would schaub make as cowboy qb? Being everything revolves around him over and over again.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
How many mistakes would schaub make as cowboy qb? Being everything revolves around him over and over again.
I don't know, but I'd assume he'll make less mistakes than Romo.

I like Romo, but we can't say he's never had a good offensive line. There's been a time when he had the best OL. He's had 2 talented receivers, he had 2 talented RBs & he had one of the top defenses in the league... he got 1 play off victory.

Matt isn't as mobile as Romo & I personally prefer the more mobile, athletic "gunslinger" but maybe Matt is better at reading defenses & getting the ball out on time. Matt's got to have something that evens everything out, because he's done just about everything Romo has. When we didn't have a good offensive line, Matt was still throwing for 4,000 yards, without a run game, Matt still won 9 games.

The last two years we saw that Romo can't carry a team. It wouldn't matter if he what team he isn't carrying.
Old 09-08-2013   #50
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't know, but I'd assume he'll make less mistakes than Romo.

I like Romo, but we can't say he's never had a good offensive line. There's been a time when he had the best OL. He's had 2 talented receivers, he had 2 talented RBs & he had one of the top defenses in the league... he got 1 play off victory.

Matt isn't as mobile as Romo & I personally prefer the more mobile, athletic "gunslinger" but maybe Matt is better at reading defenses & getting the ball out on time. Matt's got to have something that evens everything out, because he's done just about everything Romo has. When we didn't have a good offensive line, Matt was still throwing for 4,000 yards, without a run game, Matt still won 9 games.

The last two years we saw that Romo can't carry a team. It wouldn't matter if he what team he isn't carrying.
He also went 13-3 and 11-5 with those lines. Didn't do anything in the playoffs, but neither has Matt.
Old 09-08-2013   #51
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Schaub's only been in the playoffs once.
That's part of the problem, not an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
That's about right. Only disagreement IMHO Elite QBs are making $20 million, so $15 million for #10 is where it should be. Also Schaub has shown in the past that he doesn't fare all that well against the $20 million a year QBs.
I've never seen 2 QB's go "head to head" outside of ironman football with players playing both offense and defense. Have you ever seen Brady or Manning defend a pass (other than press conferences) or make an interception? It's a team sport and QB's get way too much credit and way too much blame for W's and L's. And INT's, for that matter. A perfectly thrown ball that the receiver screws up on shows up as an INT the same as a poorly thrown pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't know too many Texans fans that think he's overrated, but I know many who bristle at the harping that used to go on about Schaub being underrated, particularly after his 4700 yard season.

Flacco has one stat over Schaub that we all want Schaub to have, and that's playoff wins. He has a bunch. I'm not a Flacco fan, and I actually hate when people ascribe wins and losses to the QB, but you have to admit that Flacco steps it up in the playoffs. If we can't have a team with an elite QB, then I want a complete team that at least has a QB that steps it up when it really counts. How many chances did the Texans have to win home field advantage last season? Three? More? They controlled their destiny throughout the last half of the season, and Schaub buckled under the pressure. Much of the rest of the team did as well, but we're talking QB here.

Winner! Move the ball between the 20s and settle for FGs way too often, especially against good teams. The stats don't impress me any longer. I honestly believe Kubiak could take several of the QBs rated below Schaub in this list and have them putting up similar stats in a year or two.
I still can't blame Schaub for all of that. Kubiak is notorious for doing the turtle. His play calling can be blamed just as much as Schaub's play. This is kind of a "chicken/egg" thing, though. How would Kubiak call plays with a more athletic QB in similar situations? Looking back at Rosencopter might give a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No, you are being unrealistic. Even a SB appearance every 7 years is a ridiculous standard.

Only Pittsburgh, Dallas and New England have averaged less than 7 years per appearance.
You ain't never lyin'. I bet Dallas' time on this list is getting short. Even with 3 in the 90's.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #52
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There are 13 other teams that never won a SB, with several of them running a drought of over forty years.

It took the Cardinals 65 years just to get to the SB.
Since 1985, they only had 3 seasons with a winning record.
Fifteen of those seasons ended with 5 or fewer wins.

They had two "Perfect" 0-10 seasons, and five with just one (1) win to show for.
Their franchise record is 209 under the .500 mark.
They have never won the big prize since 1920.

How would you like to be one of their fans? LOL.
It's actually 14 teams. 10 of those teams at least got to the Super Bowl. Some multiple times. It's kinda like the lottery....you damn sure won't if you never get in the game (or buy a ticket in the lottery). You can't win the big dance if you're not in the big dance.
Old 09-09-2013   #53
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That's part of the problem, not an excuse.
Is red font sarcasm or something?

We've been to the playoffs twice in a row. Schaub was hurt the first year. He played in the second year.

Was he supposed to just go out and play on a busted foot the first year? I wish he did. He would have been miles better than TJ Yates and we would have beaten Baltimore with a semi-competent offense.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Is red font sarcasm or something?

We've been to the playoffs twice in a row. Schaub was hurt the first year. He played in the second year.

Was he supposed to just go out and play on a busted foot the first year? I wish he did. He would have been miles better than TJ Yates and we would have beaten Baltimore with a semi-competent offense.
No, I meant to do all of my replies in red and screwed the pooch on that. Once I saw it, I did think it looked good and sarcastic, so I left it.

What I meant is that he's been the QB since '07 and we didn't make the playoffs til 2011. What about those other years? Oh yeah, he was hurt then too!!!
Old 09-09-2013   #55
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
No, I meant to do all of my replies in red and screwed the pooch on that. Once I saw it, I did think it looked good and sarcastic, so I left it.

What I meant is that he's been the QB since '07 and we didn't make the playoffs til 2011. What about those other years? Oh yeah, he was hurt then too!!!

Are you ignoring history or just using bits of history to spread the Schaub hate? Yeah Matt was the reason we didnt get to the playoffs until 2011
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #56
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34563 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

So, if Matt goes out and craps the bed in all of the most important
games of the year this year (like he did last year) are you going
to continue to make excuses for him?

The guy totally blew against the Packers, Patriots (x2) and Vikings.
Beating up on a bunch of slap dicks doesn't do it for me..

I was a Schaub sunshine pumper for a few years, but now the guy
actually has to show me something..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Are you ignoring history or just using bits of history to spread the Schaub hate? Yeah Matt was the reason we didnt get to the playoffs until 2011
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #57
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post

TJ

GB 20/33 0 td 2 ints
pats 19/32 0 tds 1 int
pats II 34/51 2 tds 1 int
Min 18/32 0 td 0 int

Matt is not elite and the int numbers surely hurt but Id also not blame the guy for all the Texans shortcomings since he got here. He certainly isnt the reason we didnt make the playoffs before 2011 but Id say he was a large contributor to why we made it in back in 2011.

And for the love of god please use the quote function properly
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
He also went 13-3 and 11-5 with those lines. Didn't do anything in the playoffs, but neither has Matt.
That's what I'm saying. The team we have around Matt right now is as good as those Cowboy teams they had around Tony back then. So far neither is showing to be any better than the other, only that Romo is more "entertaining"
Old 09-09-2013   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
How do you define "all of the most important" ones?

We won the one that got us into the play offs... that was a pretty important one.

We won the one that got us the division... that was a pretty important one.

We won the one that allowed us to advance in the play offs... pretty important one & we won it.

We did not win the one that would give us Homefield through-out.... we lost that one 3 times. So I guess Matt was 50/50

Quote:
Is this a second point, or are these the "important ones" you were talking about? He didn't play well against the Packers & he didn't play well against the Pats in the regular season.... but remove the hate, he was as good as his average in the second game. Not his best game ever, but better than the first time. At the very least you can say he did his part. We need Matt to step up, we needed Arian to step up, we needed the OL to step up, we needed the Defense (OLBs & DBs) to step up..... all we got was Jj Watt. If any one of those groups went bananas... Schaub, the OL, Arian, the OLBs, the DBs... it would have been a totally different game, any one of them

Quote:

TJ
Nothing wrong with that, but no reason to say he is anything other than what he is, one of the better starting QBs in the league & he has been for some time.

We beat the Ravens, we beat the Broncos, we beat the Bears (even though they turned out to not be so good, they were expected to be one of the power house teams until we took out their QB) who still won 10 games in 2012.

We didn't beat the Packers or the Patriots.... wah.
Old 09-09-2013   #60
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt and Arian are not amused at your lack of faith.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read