Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub #10, NFL starting QB rankings 1-10

Schaubie has a better playoff win/lost percentage than Peyton manning, just saying.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Flacco has one stat over Schaub that we all want Schaub to have, and that's playoff wins. He has a bunch. I'm not a Flacco fan, and I actually hate when people ascribe wins and losses to the QB, but you have to admit that Flacco steps it up in the playoffs. If we can't have a team with an elite QB, then I want a complete team that at least has a QB that steps it up when it really counts. How many chances did the Texans have to win home field advantage last season? Three? More? They controlled their destiny throughout the last half of the season, and Schaub buckled under the pressure. Much of the rest of the team did as well, but we're talking QB here.
Someone else put the stats up but Flacco never stepped it up in the playoffs until last year. His team carried him to a lot of victories. Last night, he started to get that Deer Caught In Headlights look that I thought he'd overcome at the end of last season.

Schaub has had 1 opportunity to get into the playoffs and he didn't look great. Now... he's had the experience. Hopefully he's learned and grown from that and he can do better the next time.

That's why I've been saying that I don't believe Schaub has stopped improving. I don't think we've seen him at his ceiling and with the type of QB he is (more about accuracy and intelligence than arm-strength), he could continue to improve and play at a high level for several more years... like a Rich Gannon who had his best seasons when he was older than Schaub is now.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #23
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The flip-side to that is possibly Texans fans' standards are way too high. If we don't win a SB, we need a scapegoat, and for some reason mostly everyone has picked Schaub.
Our standards are too high? We've had the same head coach for, what, seven years now? And it's too much to expect a Super Bowl in seven years, when it really only takes about 5 to re-build a team?

Seven years and we shouldn't expect a Super Bowl?

Are you kidding?
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Our standards are too high? We've had the same head coach for, what, seven years now? And it's too much to expect a Super Bowl in seven years, when it really only takes about 5 to re-build a team?

Are you kidding?
No, you are being unrealistic. Even a SB appearance every 7 years is a ridiculous standard.

Only Pittsburgh, Dallas and New England have averaged less than 7 years per appearance.
Old 09-07-2013   #25
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

Are you kidding?
Ummm... if a team is very lucky and hits on major picks and finds some solid F/As (good vets or diamond-in-the-rough UDFAs) it can turn around it's fortunes in a relatively short term.

How long have Miami, Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and St. Louis been struggling to get back to mediocrity, let alone playoff-land? The Cardinal franchise has been around since 1920 and have only had ONE Super Bowl appearance.

Every fanbase wants a Super Bowl every season and every team's goal is to win it. No doubt about that.

But "expect"....??

With the talent on this Texans team I expect them to get into the playoffs. After that its a crapshoot. Recent history has shown it's a matter of who gets hot and healthy in January that decides who gets to the Super Bowl.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #26
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub at ten isnt good enough. He needs to elevate his game
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #27
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I most certainly have a problem with Romo being rated above Schaub, and perhaps Flacco, but at least Flacco proved his worth when he needed to. Other than that, I can't quibble a lot with that list.
Agree
Old 09-08-2013   #28
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I most certainly have a problem with Romo being rated above Schaub, and perhaps Flacco, but at least Flacco proved his worth when he needed to. Other than that, I can't quibble a lot with that list.
I'd take romo. Naked bootleg he has wheels for a first down. Also has a better arm. Would take flacco also.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There are 13 other teams that never won a SB, with several of them running a drought of over forty years.

It took the Cardinals 65 years just to get to the SB.
Since 1985, they only had 3 seasons with a winning record.
Fifteen of those seasons ended with 5 or fewer wins.

They had two "Perfect" 0-10 seasons, and five with just one (1) win to show for.
Their franchise record is 209 under the .500 mark.
They have never won the big prize since 1920.

How would you like to be one of their fans? LOL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Ummm... if a team is very lucky and hits on major picks and finds some solid F/As (good vets or diamond-in-the-rough UDFAs) it can turn around it's fortunes in a relatively short term.

How long have Miami, Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and St. Louis been struggling to get back to mediocrity, let alone playoff-land? The Cardinal franchise has been around since 1920 and have only had ONE Super Bowl appearance.

Every fanbase wants a Super Bowl every season and every team's goal is to win it. No doubt about that.

But "expect"....??

With the talent on this Texans team I expect them to get into the playoffs. After that its a crapshoot. Recent history has shown it's a matter of who gets hot and healthy in January that decides who gets to the Super Bowl.
I understand what houstonspartan is saying, 5 years & you should expect your team to be a Super Bowl contender. Just because the worse organizations in the league can't do it doesn't make it an unreasonable expectation. If the Cowboys, 49ers, Patriots, & Steelers are averaging less than 7 years per Super Bowl appearance... that should be the goal.

I don't agree it's time to blow things up if we don't get it (it may not have been his intention, but that's what I inferred). We've been thinking we should have been in the Super Bowl since 2011, we've been "expecting" a Super Bowl since Gary's 6th season. He rebuilt this failed expansion in 5 years.

Now, Gary has a Super Bowl contender, there's a window 3 maybe 5 years. This is year 3.... shouldn't we "expect" at least an appearance in the big game? I said I don't agree with it, but if Kubiak can't do it in 3 years with the team he built, would it make sense to bring someone in while the window is still open?

Think about the Bucs, the Colts, & maybe the Saints (if we stretch it).
Old 09-08-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
I'd take romo. Naked bootleg he has wheels for a first down. Also has a better arm.
For all intents & purposes, Romo & Schaub are the same guy. Romo is more exciting to watch, but he needs a really good team to make anything happen. They had a defense & a running game a while back & they turned that into 1 play off win. With Romo being the "reason" they didn't win that divisional game.

That Dallas team was every bit as good & talented as the team we had last year & the year before. Swapping Schaub for Romo is trading half a dozen for six. It sounds better, but it's really the same thing.
Old 09-08-2013   #32
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
For all intents & purposes, Romo & Schaub are the same guy. Romo is more exciting to watch, but he needs a really good team to make anything happen. They had a defense & a running game a while back & they turned that into 1 play off win. With Romo being the "reason" they didn't win that divisional game.

That Dallas team was every bit as good & talented as the team we had last year & the year before. Swapping Schaub for Romo is trading half a dozen for six. It sounds better, but it's really the same thing.
I know what MS/GK team will give us. I don't know what TR/GK will give us. I would make the trade. At least Romo has the ability to improvise which I think you must have to win the SB or even get to the SB. I think you have a better chance of controlling/managing Romo than asking MS to create/improvise. Just my opinion.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #33
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

List is a joke.

Matt is better than Luck, Wilson, Kaep, Stafford, RG3, etc?

C'mon man ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #34
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
List is a joke.

Matt is better than Luck, Wilson, Kaep, Stafford, RG3, etc?

C'mon man ...
All you listed have one season in the league. ONE.

Stafford? Stafford is like 1-23 vs teams with a winning record.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ore-top-dollar
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #35
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
All you listed have one season in the league. ONE.

Stafford? Stafford is like 1-23 vs teams with a winning record.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ore-top-dollar
Ok then just for you take Stafford off the list and add Dalton, Newton, Cutler, and Tannehill.

There ya go sparky.

List is still a joke.
Old 09-08-2013   #36
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok then just for you take Stafford off the list and add Dalton, Newton, Cutler, and Tannehill.

There ya go sparky.

List is still a joke.
Daltons stats are underwhelming

Newton is a pouter and throws a lot of interceptions

Cutler is inconsistent and has a piss poor attitude

Tannehill...one season again

Hey I jumped on the Schaub hate train last year but he is NOT hot garbage like some claim. Hes proven dependable (health), has good stats and can manage a game. I am just amazed how people put one year wonders at the top of the QB list. The only one of the QB's from the last couple seasons I see with any real future is Luck.

RG3, Kap and Wilson: lets see how they fare now that defenders know they can hit them and not worry about the rules to protect QB's.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #37
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Daltons stats are underwhelming

Newton is a pouter and throws a lot of interceptions

Cutler is inconsistent and has a piss poor attitude

Tannehill...one season again

Hey I jumped on the Schaub hate train last year but he is NOT hot garbage like some claim. Hes proven dependable (health), has good stats and can manage a game. I am just amazed how people put one year wonders at the top of the QB list. The only one of the QB's from the last couple seasons I see with any real future is Luck.

RG3, Kap and Wilson: lets see how they fare now that defenders know they can hit them and not worry about the rules to protect QB's.
We will see if Matt can stay healthy another year, and not turn the ball over at an amazing pace. But even if he can, I cant put him higher than middle of the pack. As for the one year guys, I think we will find out this year they are for real.
Old 09-08-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
We will see if Matt can stay healthy another year, and not turn the ball over at an amazing pace. But even if he can, I cant put him higher than middle of the pack. As for the one year guys, I think we will find out this year they are for real.
Until then, they're right where they need to be.
Old 09-08-2013   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand what houstonspartan is saying, 5 years & you should expect your team to be a Super Bowl contender. Just because the worse organizations in the league can't do it doesn't make it an unreasonable expectation. If the Cowboys, 49ers, Patriots, & Steelers are averaging less than 7 years per Super Bowl appearance... that should be the goal.
I seem to recall a quote in one of TC's blogs where she said Kubiak stated there has never been a season since he's been head coach that winning the Super Bowl wasn't his goal going into the season.

Quote:
I don't agree it's time to blow things up if we don't get it (it may not have been his intention, but that's what I inferred). We've been thinking we should have been in the Super Bowl since 2011, we've been "expecting" a Super Bowl since Gary's 6th season. He rebuilt this failed expansion in 5 years.
I'm in complete agreement. I'm still scarred by the memory of Bud blowing up a 12-4 Oilers team (1993) because they failed to get to the Super Bowl. Took the better part of a decade (1999) to recover from that. I trust that Uncle Bob isn't that stupid. And from recent events, McNair is the kind of owner that makes careful, calculated moves. Our defense sucked, he went and got Wade. We got torched by Brady (even with Wade and Watt in place) he went and got Ed Reed. It remains to be seen if that will pay off as much as the Wade move did.

Quote:
Now, Gary has a Super Bowl contender, there's a window 3 maybe 5 years. This is year 3.... shouldn't we "expect" at least an appearance in the big game? I said I don't agree with it, but if Kubiak can't do it in 3 years with the team he built, would it make sense to bring someone in while the window is still open?
First I don't believe the "window" has to be limited to a certain time frame. Dungy/Manning kept the Colts a contender for a decade. The Ravens have been perennial contenders since 2000. The Pats have been in the playoff picture nearly every year since 2001 (with the odd 7-9 season) The Steelers have too.
With solid offensive and defensive systems in place and a GM and scouting staff that replaces aging talent with young talent that excel in those systems, your team can stay playoff relevant for a long time. The examples are out there. It can be done.

BUT... if it becomes painfully apparent that Schaub - or GK - has "max'ed out" then Uncle Bob WILL cut them loose. But not until Uncle Bob has identified the guy(s) he perceives to be significant upgrade(s). Uncle Bob's first move will be to whisper in Gary's ear that "the Schaub era has run it's course, go find me a stud or I'll bring in a coach who will." Remember, careful, calculated moves; that's Uncle Bob's M.O.

Quote:
Think about the Bucs, the Colts, & maybe the Saints (if we stretch it).
Not sure what your point is here.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #40
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There ya go sparky.

List is still a joke.
I agree 100 %. Anybody watching games today. It is obvious that a mobile QB is a big advantage. Watching Oak vs Colts. You don't need a ColinK but you do need something beside the absolute worst MS. I think it was painfully clear at the end of last year and the playoffs. Our D is not good enough to carry us. The offense is much more important now than what is was 10-15 years ago.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read