Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013   #761
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB (Yates named #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Yates' performances have been #2, that's for sure.
They both did well; better than most, perhaps better than almost all #2s out there, and probably even better than a few ones.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #762
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
They both did well; better than most, perhaps better than almost all #2s out there, and probably even better than a few ones.
We have two backup QBs that can inserted into a game and keep it going for a bit. One of them has starting experience and has shown he can win a playoff game against a badly coached team. I'm comfortable with them both, most especially when you look at a lot of the other backup QBs in the league.

I still think Keenum will be starting material some day though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #763
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 26703 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, after watching preseason, I feel as though Gary
was sort of testing that "it factor". He put Case into a
few positions with a really negative potential outcome just
to see if he could produce.

I can't get over the TD pass on 4th and 2 from the 30
something yard line. Or the 28 yard completion to the
middle of the field when Keenum was standing in the
endzone with the pocket collapsing around him.

Honestly, I just cannot fathom Gary letting Matt or T.J.
even attempt those. It's so "outside of the Kubiak comfort
zone". Granted, it was the preseason, but I don't ever
recall him doing that in prior preseasons either.

Everytime I saw a play like that I got sort of a "Sink or Swim"
feeling from Gary's playcalling.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #764
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Yates could be a very good starter. We won't know until he gets his opportunity.

But I think Kubiak would love to draw up some plays for Keenum.

yates did get the chance to be a starter and was very average despite what his fans would like to call it
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #765
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
You know, after watching preseason, I feel as though Gary
was sort of testing that "it factor". He put Case into a
few positions with a really negative potential outcome just
to see if he could produce.

I can't get over the TD pass on 4th and 2 from the 30
something yard line. Or the 28 yard completion to the

Honestly, I just cannot fathom Gary letting Matt or T.J.
even attempt those. It's so "outside of the Kubiak comfort
zone". Granted, it was the preseason, but I don't ever
recall him doing that in prior preseasons either.

Everytime I saw a play like that I got sort of a "Sink or Swim"
feeling from Gary's playcalling.

TJ
I know.
I was saying that Keenum was put in more challenging situations than what we normally see in the preseason, with any coach really.

They only do that to find out if the guy can handle the various situations.
Keenum passed those tests admirably.

On the other hand, Yates were put in fewer challenging situations, and he also passed those tests. Not only that, he executed most of the routine plays well as a whole.

It was a very good battle.
Old 09-06-2013   #766
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
We have two backup QBs that can inserted into a game and keep it going for a bit. One of them has starting experience and has shown he can win a playoff game against a badly coached team. I'm comfortable with them both, most especially when you look at a lot of the other backup QBs in the league.

I still think Keenum will be starting material some day though.
I hope so Thorn; I hope so.
Old 09-06-2013   #767
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
yates did get the chance to be a starter and was very average despite what his fans would like to call it
I'm no more a Yates fan than I am a Keenum fan, but what Yates did in 2011.... average is pretty good for a rookie in that situation.
Old 09-06-2013   #768
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Or the 28 yard completion to the
This is the play etched in my mind about Keenum. He showed great composure in that situation and never appeared to be anything but in full control of the pass.

The Texans are very fortunate to have some depth at many positions, QB included. I do not think either backup is better than Schaub, but I also do not feel like the season is lost if Schaub goes down.
Old 09-06-2013   #769
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This is the play etched in my mind about Keenum. He showed great composure in that situation and never appeared to be anything but in full control of the pass.

The Texans are very fortunate to have some depth at many positions, QB included. I do not think either backup is better than Schaub, but I also do not feel like the season is lost if Schaub goes down.
That's a luxury right there, DB.

At the most important position on the team.

I just hope that we can survive the injuries at other positions, especially on the line and at key positions on defense.
Old 09-06-2013   #770
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm no more a Yates fan than I am a Keenum fan, but what Yates did in 2011.... average is pretty good for a rookie in that situation.

I wouldnt say his playoff ints were average
Old 09-06-2013   #771
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I wouldnt say his playoff ints were average
...ok

Quote:
but you're the one who said he was average.
Old 09-06-2013   #772
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope so Thorn; I hope so.
I think the backup QB position, while debatable to a degree here, is one of the least of our worries for this team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #773
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
...ok

but you're the one who said he was average.

I was being overly generous with the term average
Old 09-06-2013   #774
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Yates' performances have been #2, that's for sure.

Quote:
I read IronDukes comment totally different, with a much more juvenile connotation, as in taking a #2.
Old 09-06-2013   #775
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was being overly generous with the term average
All technicalities!
TK was only playing the field, as he normally does .
He's the Henry Kissinger of football MB.

Sometimes you hate him; sometimes you love him.
Sometimes he makes a lot of sense; occasionally he doensn't.
He throws you into a maze and then he pulls back.
It's a natural talent .

You don't know how much I dislike Kissinger as a politician, but after years of reflection, the guy was damn smart.
Old 09-06-2013   #776
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72763 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All technicalities!
TK was only playing the field, as he normally does .
He's the Henry Kissinger of football MB.

Sometimes you hate him; sometimes you love him.
Sometimes he makes a lot of sense; occasionally he doensn't.
He throws you into a maze and then he pulls back.
It's a natural talent .

You don't know how much I dislike Kissinger as a politician, but after years of reflection, the guy was damn smart.
So basically, you despise TK, but you think he's really intelligent.
Old 09-06-2013   #777
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

People are too quick to rush Keenum into the spotlight. I realize he has a ton of local fans, but give the kid some time and be objective about his progress. He needs time to develop and learn how to be a starting QB in the NFL. Too many times teams are rushing QB development because of pressure from ownership or fanbase.

Green Bay did it right. Had a guy in place and let their young guy develop. When the time was right, they cut the vet loose and let their guy take over. It's amazing to me that so many teams do not take the same approach. There are so many young QB's in the league right now who are just not very good because their franchise rushed them and didn't take the time to let them develop.

Schaub's play is dwindling and has been for some time now. He's still a solid NFL starter, but that's mainly because of the ridiculous talent he's surrounded by. We really need to be developing his replacement right now because we can not afford to be that team who just throws the next guy right into the fire.

Yates is a very solid QB. He's not a star, but he can get the job done. I see him as one of the better backup QB's in the league right now. Hopefully we can retain him for some time because I really like him as a #2.

I like Keenum and he could be the guy that we are developing to replace Schaub. But there is absolutely no reason to rush the process. Give the guy some time to get better. I'm interested to see how he progresses this year and see where he's at around this time next year.

If he continues to take care of business I can easily see him passing Yates next year and possibly supplanting Schaub the year after that.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #778
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9baller View Post
Will I be able to buy my #7 Keenum jersey now that he made the roster?
I think Manziel is signing Keenum's stuff and selling it.
Old 09-06-2013   #779
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 26703 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny thought!

(those two guys couldn't be more 180 degrees out of phase
in terms of ethics and discipline..)

Can you believe how lucky Kevin Sumlin has been for his
entire career as a collegiate head coach?

I could totally see Jerrah firing the redhead and hiring Kevin
to replace him -- at the same time drafting JFF (if they have
another bad year.)

Even if the team sucked, he'd do it just for the crazy amount
of money all of those new Ag-Cowboy fans would generate..

Jerrah strikes me as more of a salesman than a winner..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think Manziel is signing Keenum's stuff and selling it.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #780
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
People are too quick to rush Keenum into the spotlight. I realize he has a ton of local fans, but give the kid some time and be objective about his progress. He needs time to develop and learn how to be a starting QB in the NFL. Too many times teams are rushing QB development because of pressure from ownership or fanbase.

Green Bay did it right. Had a guy in place and let their young guy develop. When the time was right, they cut the vet loose and let their guy take over. It's amazing to me that so many teams do not take the same approach. There are so many young QB's in the league right now who are just not very good because their franchise rushed them and didn't take the time to let them develop.

I like Keenum and he could be the guy that we are developing to replace Schaub. But there is absolutely no reason to rush the process. Give the guy some time to get better. I'm interested to see how he progresses this year and see where he's at around this time next year.

If he continues to take care of business I can easily see him passing Yates next year and possibly supplanting Schaub the year after that.
These echo my thoughts on the situation. Rep.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read