Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the first selection in the first round?
A 23 28.75%
B 31 38.75%
C 9 11.25%
D 2 2.50%
F 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2013   #121
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
And this is only one example of why I try to keep things "realistic."
I might say things from time to time in jest, but don't mean anything at all about it. I appreciate your fact of the matter responses.
Old 09-05-2013   #122
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IIRC, isn't this a Chester Pitt'ish type injury? You know, the one that put him out of the league.

Is there a rosier outlook for Williams since he's younger or does age really make a difference?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #123
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
IIRC, isn't this a Chester Pitt'ish type injury? You know, the one that put him out of the league.

Is there a rosier outlook for Williams since he's younger or does age really make a difference?
Good memory!........Same as Dom Davis.

Microfracture surgery is only performed when joint bone is denuded of its cartilage coverage. The fibrous tissue substitute it creates is neither thick nor durable. It is typically a last ditch effort to preserve the function of the joint. If it done for a very small area, a player may just squeak through. If it is a loss of significant cartilage caused by previous injury/surgery, success rate is dismal.

In Williams case, I have no doubt that he suffered significant cartilage damage at his initially reported "tweaked knee." The arthroscopy then was performed to remove loose and damaged cartilage, exposing some underlying bare knee joint bone. He returned to play too soon thus further breaking off bits of damaged cartilage. During this surgery, further cleanup of cartilage, thus exposing more bone surface would have likely been performed prior to the microfracture drilling. Keep in mind that after joint bone denuding of cartilage and drilling into the bone, arthritis naturally quickly ensues. Not a terribly rosey picture for the future.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #124
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Microfracture surgery is only performed when joint bone is denuded of its cartilage coverage. The fibrous tissue substitute it creates is neither thick nor durable. It is typically a last ditch effort to preserve the function of the joint. If it done for a very small area, a player may just squeak through. If it is a loss of significant cartilage caused by previous injury/surgery, success rate is dismal.

In Williams case, I have no doubt that he suffered significant cartilage damage at his initially reported "tweaked knee." The arthroscopy then was performed to remove loose and damaged cartilage, exposing some underlying bare knee joint bone. He returned to play too soon thus further breaking off bits of damaged cartilage. During this surgery, further cleanup of cartilage, thus exposing more bone surface would have likely been performed prior to the microfracture drilling. Keep in mind that after joint bone denuding of cartilage and drilling into the bone, arthritis naturally quickly ensues. Not a terribly rosey picture for the future.
Thanks for the prompt response Dr.

I deleted quite a diatribe so quick-N-simple this isn't an age related thingy?

Williams' career is toast before it ever started and we blew a draft choice we'll never get back. Si?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #125
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Thanks for the prompt response Dr.

I deleted quite a diatribe so quick-N-simple this isn't an age related thingy?

Williams' career is toast before it ever started and we blew a draft choice we'll never get back. Si?
Like I said, not a rosey picture at all.
Old 09-05-2013   #126
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans screwed up another diagnosis, possibly screwing up another players career?

The Texans medical staff is so incompetent it's embarrassing to all of the great medical professionals in this city. Unbelieveable that CND has a better handle on the Texans injury situations with very little info. Than the Texans Dr's do with all of the best equipment/info available.

It makes me think that Dr. Lowe has whore himself out to the Texans org. Kinda like what Dr.Andrews did last yr with RG3 and the Redskins.

I know if I was a Texans player and had an injury that the Texans Dr.'s diagnosed, the 1st thing that I would do would be seeking a 2nd opinion.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #127
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #128
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams F

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #129
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

This just sucks, another wasted draft pick. Our Doctors are paid by the club to get players back on the field, I'm thinking they tell the club what they want to hear instead of the truth.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #130
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Texans screwed up another diagnosis, possibly screwing up another players career?

The Texans medical staff is so incompetent it's embarrassing to all of the great medical professionals in this city. Unbelieveable that CND has a better handle on the Texans injury situations with very little info. Than the Texans Dr's do with all of the best equipment/info available.

It makes me think that Dr. Lowe has whore himself out to the Texans org. Kinda like what Dr.Andrews did last yr with RG3 and the Redskins.

I know if I was a Texans player and had an injury that the Texans Dr.'s diagnosed, the 1st thing that I would do would be seeking a 2nd opinion.

As many of you know, I am quite the Kubiak/Smith apologist. That being said, I am consistently appalled at the manner in which this organization deals with injuries. The combination of ignorance displayed by Kubiak when questioned about injuries, the errors in judgement I've seen dealing with injured players during games, the lack of information, but especially the mounting evidence (though I don't have proof) that the training staff/doctors simply are not thorough - bordering on malpractice.

I find it more than a coincidence that Kubiak and Smith both worked with Mike Shanahan, who committed a series of unforgivable abuses with RGIII last year... Decisions that defy logic because they not only risked a great, young player but also were not beneficial to the team's short term goals.
Old 09-06-2013   #131
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wasn't the same knee apparently

Quote:
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 54m
Oh also, Brennan Williams' microfracture surgery was on a different knee than his arthroscopic knee surgery earlier in the summer. #Texans
Old 09-06-2013   #132
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Wasn't the same knee apparently
That's even worse news, in that microfracture surgery is usually preceded by arthroscopic "clean up." Denuded bone doesn't happen over night out of the clear blue. He had to have significant knee cartilage deficit problems before he was drafted. And if he had it in that knee, he most likely had in the arthroscopic knee, which led to the knee problem which led to the "clean up."

Knowing this new information (sort of a peek into the future), I don't expect his arthroscopic knee to be in any better shape than his microfracture knee. Keep in mind that microfracture knee surgery is a very difficult rehab...........9-12 months in most cases. There is no one that I know who would ever do this type of surgery on both knees at the same time (simultaneous bilateral knee surgeries for much lesser conditions are quite uncommon) for obvious reasons. Just like on my carpal tunnel patients, most surgeons (including myself) will refuse to do this surgery on both hands at the same sitting for reason that many patients don't really think about until they are presented with consequential postoperative difficulties.........imagine the difficulties with toilet hygiene. I wouldn't be surprise before it's all said and done, if he goes on to require microfracture surgery on his recently arthroscoped knee some time in the future.
Old 11-16-2013   #133
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if we have anything new on this guy, his rehab, his future in the NFL with the Texans ? Reviewing C&Ds remarks, this 3rd round picks future in football is certainly very grim indeed according to Doc. It's just that we have such a pressing need to put a competent player on the right side of our OLine at tackle.
It's really frustrating that both Williams and our other OLine pick in this years Draft, David Quessenberry, both went out on IR as rookies. What an opportunity this year would have been for either or both rookies to gain valuable playing-time experience.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #134
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 945 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

From June:
Damn, it looks like we WILL need to use one of our higher draft picks on a RT. Had high hopes for the kid but injuries on top of injuries at this point doesn't bode well for him or the Texans outside of maybe a backup Tackle for his first few years.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Second Opinion Brennan Williams starts around 4:33
Old 03-22-2014   #136
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Second Opinion Brennan Williams starts around 4:33
Dr CND has been telling us this for a long time.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Dr CND has been telling us this for a long time.
That's why I called it a second opinion.
Old 03-22-2014   #138
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

If BW's "microfracture" situation goes back 2 years and this doctor thinks 300 pounders with that sort of medical problem don't ever recover 100 %, since the Texans drafted BW less than a year ago obviously the Texans' medical people (at the time of the Draft) didn't agree with this doctors opinion.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #139
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
If BW's "microfracture" situation goes back 2 years and this doctor thinks 300 pounders with that sort of medical problem don't ever recover 100 %, since the Texans drafted BW less than a year ago obviously the Texans' medical people (at the time of the Draft) didn't agree with this doctors opinion.
The surgery wasn't done two years ago. He's been dealing with the same knee injury since before his senior season, it's never been 100% right. He was healthy enough to play as a senior. Then he tore his shoulder & sat out the final four games of his senior season.

We drafted him & the same knee started giving him problems... he had the microfracture surgery & here we are.

Quote:
Brennan Williams, a North Carolina third-round pick, suffered a microfracture in his knee. Williams was dealing with a knee injury he suffered on May 11, the second day of rookie minicamp. Williams did return near the end of camp, but suffered swelling again after the game at Dallas. Kubiak mentioned that the latest injury looked “more extensive” than the previous one.
Old 03-22-2014   #140
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

If you have to identify one decision that contributed the most to getting Kubiak fired, it's this one. As bad as the RT position already was, he shouldn't have rolled the dice on this player. That's not just hindsight -- we all knew it at the time.

Then consider that the next pick was Sam Montgomery.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read