Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2013   #221
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Like I said, I'm not a cap expert.
But if I read it right, Brady's contract includes a $30M signing bonus plus $1M in base salary this year.
If Brady is out like he was before, it's tough sledding.
Or am I being ignorant?
You're right, Brady's original contract had 2 yrs left and NE GTD the $$$ and spread it over 5 yrs. and if Brady gets hurt $$$ are GTD and there is no Tebow.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #222
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not a cap expert.
But if I read it right, Brady's contract includes a $30M signing bonus plus $1M in base salary this year.
If Brady is out like he was before, it's tough sledding.
Or am I being ignorant?
Brady's contract is different than most in that the signing bonus is paid out over the life of the contract not just prorated for cap purposes. It is also fully guaranteed through him being 43 years old. All he has to do is show up willing to play and the Patriots are paying him.
Old 09-02-2013   #223
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43558 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he wins the Super Bowl I bet he gets a Romo/Flacco type contract.
I don't see that happening. If that happens, he just stays on his current contract, and we have a SB winning QB at a bargain.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #224
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I don't see that happening. If that happens, he just stays on his current contract, and we have a SB winning QB at a bargain.
Haha! No raise for Schwaubie.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #225
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
In 2015 the year of JJs new contract Schaub is $17 mil and the yr after $19 mil
People seem to forget (or never realized) that it's entirely possible (perhaps even likely) that 2015 won't be the year of JJs new contract - and not because he gets extended early.

JJ was a first round pick in the first draft class under the current CBA. More importantly, JJ was the 11th pick in the first draft class under the current CBA. Without getting mired in the details, as a component of that CBA, the Texans have a unilateral, non-negotiable option for a 5th year with JJ. This option exists with all first round picks under the current CBA. The amount of the option for the top 10 picks is the Transition tag amount (Essentially, the average of the top 10 highest paid players at their position during their 4th year). For picks 11-32, it's considerably less than that (Essentially, it's the average of the 3rd thru 25th highest paid players at their position during their 4th year), and the CBA is very specific that it can't be supplemented with bonuses or any other type of compensation. To give a little perspective to this, according to Spottrac, for 2013, the average of the 3rd-11th (they only list the top 10 and ties) highest paid DE's is $7.43 Million, so factor in 14 more lower paid players and imagine what you'll get.

What this means is that should they decide to do it, the Texans have JJ for a fifth year at an amount likely south of $6 Million. Add on the fact that they'll still have the right to franchise him for 2016, and with the 2013 Franchise and Transition tag amounts for DE's at roughly $11.2 and $9.15 Million respectively, plus a minimal growth for those tag amounts recently, and it could easily be 2017 before JJ sees either a contract amount in excess of $12 Million or the open market.

I'm sure some of you are saying that's screwing JJ, and McNair and the Texans would never let that happen, well, I'm sure the preference would be to strike a long term deal at a reasonable amount sometime in the offseason between JJ's 3rd and 4th contract year. If that can't be done, and the alternative is to let JJ walk, there's no doubt in my mind the Texans would "screw" JJ.

Now excuse me - I've got to go fret that in five years, JJ might be playing for someone else.
Old 09-03-2013   #226
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
People seem to forget (or never realized) that it's entirely possible (perhaps even likely) that 2015 won't be the year of JJs new contract - and not because he gets extended early.

JJ was a first round pick in the first draft class under the current CBA. More importantly, JJ was the 11th pick in the first draft class under the current CBA. Without getting mired in the details, as a component of that CBA, the Texans have a unilateral, non-negotiable option for a 5th year with JJ. This option exists with all first round picks under the current CBA. The amount of the option for the top 10 picks is the Transition tag amount (Essentially, the average of the top 10 highest paid players at their position during their 4th year). For picks 11-32, it's considerably less than that (Essentially, it's the average of the 3rd thru 25th highest paid players at their position during their 4th year), and the CBA is very specific that it can't be supplemented with bonuses or any other type of compensation. To give a little perspective to this, according to Spottrac, for 2013, the average of the 3rd-11th (they only list the top 10 and ties) highest paid DE's is $7.43 Million, so factor in 14 more lower paid players and imagine what you'll get.

What this means is that should they decide to do it, the Texans have JJ for a fifth year at an amount likely south of $6 Million. Add on the fact that they'll still have the right to franchise him for 2016, and with the 2013 Franchise and Transition tag amounts for DE's at roughly $11.2 and $9.15 Million respectively, plus a minimal growth for those tag amounts recently, and it could easily be 2017 before JJ sees either a contract amount in excess of $12 Million or the open market.

I'm sure some of you are saying that's screwing JJ, and McNair and the Texans would never let that happen, well, I'm sure the preference would be to strike a long term deal at a reasonable amount sometime in the offseason between JJ's 3rd and 4th contract year. If that can't be done, and the alternative is to let JJ walk, there's no doubt in my mind the Texans would "screw" JJ.

Now excuse me - I've got to go fret that in five years, JJ might be playing for someone else.
MSR. Pointed out that 5th year option to a friend of mine. He kept arguing that wasn't the case. In 5 years, it won't matter or............it won't matter.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #227
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
$14.5M, maybe.

But I don't see the Texans taking a $17M cap hit in 2015, or a $19M cap hit in 2016. Especially if they're trying to sign Cushing & Watt. Those cap hits will come down by prorating a signing bonus and adjusting his salary.

Someone said this contract gives Matt two years to win a Super Bowl, including the 2014 year as a "chance." I think the two years started from the day he signed it, last September. This year is his last chance to prove he's a franchise QB (whether that means winning a SB or not, I don't know, but I think it does).

Some here believe Case Keenum is our future at QB, if that's the case, I can see them parting ways with Matt Schaub at the end of this season to free up room for other players. But not if he wins the Super Bowl.
Old 09-03-2013   #228
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43558 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
$14.5M, maybe.

But I don't see the Texans taking a $17M cap hit in 2015, or a $19M cap hit in 2016. Especially if they're trying to sign Cushing & Watt. Those cap hits will come down by prorating a signing bonus and adjusting his salary.

Someone said this contract gives Matt two years to win a Super Bowl, including the 2014 year as a "chance." I think the two years started from the day he signed it, last September. This year is his last chance to prove he's a franchise QB (whether that means winning a SB or not, I don't know, but I think it does).

Some here believe Case Keenum is our future at QB, if that's the case, I can see them parting ways with Matt Schaub at the end of this season to free up room for other players. But not if he wins the Super Bowl.
I basically agree. I think $17-19MM cap hit for him is too much. But it may not be in a couple of years, depending on whether the cap goes up, and what other new QB contracts are signed, especially if he does win a SB.
Old 09-03-2013   #229
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Franchise QB doesn't equal Super Bowl winning QB. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl but he damn sure was a Franchise QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #230
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a reason why I had said many times that I don't like the business side of football. It's not fun, just like all the informative medical info that CND has been providing us. I keep go back and forth whether I want to know about those things or not. More often, I would rather not know about them things. No fun at all.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #231
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There's a reason why I had said many times that I don't like the business side of football. It's not fun, just like all the informative medical info that CND has been providing us. I keep go back and forth whether I want to know about those things or not. More often, I would rather not know about them things. No fun at all.
I don't think any fan needs to be an expert on cap management or be an MD, but having basic knowledge doesn't hurt and just realizing that things like the salary cap and injuries severely impact football decisions, i.e. not being able to resign ALL the players you want to keep, or not being as deep as you'd want to be across the board.
Old 09-03-2013   #232
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Old 09-03-2013   #233
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You made me look it up, LOL.

True that; I would rather stick to watching game film.
I like that a heck a whole lot more.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #234
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2012 - Joseph restructured $5 million, Johnson restructured $5.2 million
2011 - Johnson Restructured $7.5 million, Demeco Ryans $4 million & Antonio
Smith $3 million. There was more earlier but those $$$ are now off the books.

No I don't but I do believe that currently NE is approx $13 mil under the cap, the Steelers approx $5 mil under and the Ravens approx $6 mil and the Texans approx $2 mil under. The final official start of the season cap numbers should be out in a day or two.
add: 2013 - JOHNSON Restructured $5.5 million
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #235
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
add: 2013 - JOHNSON Restructured $5.5 million
Kick'n the can...again...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #236
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what's with the slogon on the front door of a concentration camp??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #237
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Arbeit macht frei - Work makes you free.
Old 09-03-2013   #238
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jedem das Seine - to each their own
Old 09-03-2013   #239
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Arbeit macht frei - Work makes you free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Jedem das Seine - to each their own
I guess both are true. I've only been to the one in Dachau, near Munich.

LINK
Old 09-04-2013   #240
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

An Ed Reed thread about missing games with no talk about how he actually participated in a full practice today?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read