Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2013   #241
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Casserly was awful! Somehow concluded that Julius Peppers was not a fit for a 3-4 defense and drafted David Carr instead- then proceeded to waste the other 10 picks from that draft.

So, an argument whether he was responsible for Mario Williams (good riddens, by the way) and/or Owen Daniels in the 2006 draft- of which only Daniels remains, is not one I would think many Texan fans are interested in.

I'm a huge fan of Gary Kubiak- that being said, I do not want Kubiak nor Casserly as the ultimate decision-maker when it comes to personnel... Since Kubiak lost that power after the 2010 6-10 fiasco, I think Smith has shown himself to be one of the best GMs in football.
I agree with you about Casserly, I am not a fan either. However that does not preclude me from acknowledging that it was Casserly who did orchestrate the 2006 draft and put the 2006 draft board together. I'm not a koolaid drinker.

Regarding Kubiak, he is the ultimate decision maker, he has final say on the 53 man roster, it's in his contract. He said so in a press conference at the end of the dismal 2010 season. He did not lose that power and said he would not relinquish that responsibility when he was asked.

I find it amusing how some fans say Kubiak had nothing to do with the decision to exercise the David Carr's $8 million option but has final say on everything else. Rick Smith is Kubiak's right hand, Smith does what Kubiak wants him to do. Smith was a assistant GM in Denver and it was Kubiak who hired Rick Smith. Rick Smith IS NOT a GM in the sense that Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Thomas Dimitrioff, Rick Speilman and Jerry Reese are GMs. My wish list is for Bob McNair to hire Oliver Luck as that kind of GM for the Texans.

Much of the reasoning and thinking you read and see from Texans fans who drink the koolaid is contoured around their hopes, wants and wishes for the team, not the actual facts. It's the old adage, "they only see & hear, what they want to see and hear". If the facts don't agree with their hopes, wants & wishes they're easily dismissed with apologies, excuses and opinion.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #242
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I agree with you about Casserly, I am not a fan either. However that does not preclude me from acknowledging that it was Casserly who did orchestrate the 2006 draft and put the 2006 draft board together. I'm not a koolaid drinker.
Think about this, when Charlie Casserly was the GM of the Redskins, he made the trade with Ditka and the Saints to get an ENTIRE year's set of draft picks along with some draft picks for the next year and didn't do a damned thing with it. That Redskin's team should have had such an influx of talent that it should have been a dominant team for years.

And it wasn't.

All he got out of that draft was Champ Bailey.

If you look at the history of his drafts with the Texans and the Redskins, he rarely hit on a good player. Stephen Davis, Champ Bailey, Mark Schlereth, Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson -- that might be about it.

And then you have the 2006 draft. Which was a great draft. Since 2006, the Texans have, for the most part, drafted pretty well.

It may be that Charlie Casserly was the primary force behind that 2006 draft but if so, it was a draft that looked nothing like any draft he'd ever had before.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #243
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Charley Casserly was a lame duck G.M. during the 2006 draft. I highly doubt he had more influence or power over a first time HC who was looking to build a team in his image. Houston had nothing, but crap draft after crap draft before Kubiak showed up, so I think it's pretty obvious who had the final say so in that room.

I mean we're talking about a man who spent a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings and traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Phillip @#!%ing Buchanon (when Al Davis lost his mind and was making bone headed decisions, he was still able to take ol' Charley behind the woodshed). The only reason why Casserly was even in the room during that draft was because Kubiak was given complete control and was allowed to hand pick his own GM.. after the draft, hence why Rick Smith (from Denver) is here. Kubiak was given complete control.

P.S.

I'm tired of hearing about how Kubiak signed off on Carr and talking about how he could win with him... Like anybody here has never lied on a job interview before. The #1 requirement to becoming the Texans' head coach was the resurrection of David Carr. If Kubiak told McNair that he couldn't win with Carr, I highly doubt he'd be here.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #244
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Regarding Kubiak, he is the ultimate decision maker, he has final say on the 53 man roster, it's in his contract. He said so in a press conference at the end of the dismal 2010 season. He did not lose that power and said he would not relinquish that responsibility when he was asked.

I find it amusing how some fans say Kubiak had nothing to do with the decision to exercise the David Carr's $8 million option but has final say on everything else. Rick Smith is Kubiak's right hand, Smith does what Kubiak wants him to do. Smith was a assistant GM in Denver and it was Kubiak who hired Rick Smith. Rick Smith IS NOT a GM in the sense that Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Thomas Dimitrioff, Rick Speilman and Jerry Reese are GMs. My wish list is for Bob McNair to hire Oliver Luck as that kind of GM for the Texans.

Much of the reasoning and thinking you read and see from Texans fans who drink the koolaid is contoured around their hopes, wants and wishes for the team, not the actual facts. It's the old adage, "they only see & hear, what they want to see and hear". If the facts don't agree with their hopes, wants & wishes they're easily dismissed with apologies, excuses and opinion.
It was clear to me that a power shift occurred after 2010. I do not think Kubiak has authority over all the personnel decisions anymore. No, I can't prove it.
Old 09-03-2013   #245
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Charley Casserly was a lame duck G.M. during the 2006 draft. I highly doubt he had more influence or power over a first time HC who was looking to build a team in his image. Houston had nothing, but crap draft after crap draft before Kubiak showed up, so I think it's pretty obvious who had the final say so in that room.

I mean we're talking about a man who spent a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings and traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Phillip @#!%ing Buchanon (when Al Davis lost his mind and was making bone headed decisions, he was still able to take ol' Charley behind the woodshed). The only reason why Casserly was even in the room during that draft was because Kubiak was given complete control and was allowed to hand pick his own GM.. after the draft, hence why Rick Smith (from Denver) is here. Kubiak was given complete control.

P.S.

I'm tired of hearing about how Kubiak signed off on Carr and talking about how he could win with him... Like anybody here has never lied on a job interview before. The #1 requirement to becoming the Texans' head coach was the resurrection of David Carr. If Kubiak told McNair that he couldn't win with Carr, I highly doubt he'd be here.
I feel no need to defend Kubiak in this area. I would expect a quarterback guru to believe he could successfully improve a young,talent at the position. Carr's issues came from a lack of commitment, I think. Once stuck working with him, it didn't take Kubiak long to figure out Carr wasn't the guy.

This illustrates why I don't like coaches as gm... Their belief in their system and teaching should cloud their assessment of players. It is the gm that needs to compare and contrast the talent available and determine what players are the best available option for the team, given the resources available.
Old 09-03-2013   #246
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a question I needed answered, and I didn't want to start a thread on it.. so maybe someone can help me

I kno Ben Tate got a lot of money coming his way after the season, so I was wondering if the Texans can use the Franchise Tag on him to keep him for another year?
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #247
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
I had a question I needed answered, and I didn't want to start a thread on it.. so maybe someone can help me

I kno Ben Tate got a lot of money coming his way after the season, so I was wondering if the Texans can use the Franchise Tag on him to keep him for another year?
Yes they can, but I doubt his value is very high right now. He needs another 2011 if he is to get a big payday.
Old 09-03-2013   #248
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Dave Ragone a 3rd rounder?
Old 09-03-2013   #249
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post

That's one option. I doubt they'll use the Franchise Tag on a backup running back, though.
Old 09-03-2013   #250
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh ok, thanks for the info
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #251
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Regardless of how the power structure works and I agree with Dale.. Kubiak had his hand slapped, reason why he was no longer allowed to bring in "his guys" on defense. A lot of our success can also be attributed to the maturation of our owner as well, but a lot of our success can also be attributed to Rick Smith and your opinion that he's just a "yes man/figure head" is wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nagers/page/25

Rick Smith is one of the brightest young GMs in the game today

and, I don't understand your last paragraph. I'm not a "koolaid" drinker by any means and am very critical of my team, but replace "koolaid" with "hateraid" and it pretty much describes what you've written. I mean, what exactly have you typed that is proven fact? The only thing I see is opinions and you know what they say about opinions.
Old 09-03-2013   #252
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It was clear to me that a power shift occurred after 2010. I do not think Kubiak has authority over all the personnel decisions anymore. No, I can't prove it.
Kubiak has final say on the 53 man roster whether you choose to believe it or not. In the 2010 year end press conference, John McClain specifically asked Kubiak if he would give up complete control in order to keep his job. Kubiak responded saying he would NOT that it was in his contract and would not agree to any such changes.

Quote:
Regardless of how the power structure works and I agree with Dale.. Kubiak had his hand slapped, reason why he was no longer allowed to bring in "his guys" on defense. A lot of our success can also be attributed to the maturation of our owner as well, but a lot of our success can also be attributed to Rick Smith and your opinion that he's just a "yes man/figure head" is wrong.
Contrary to popular belief, Rick Smith did NOT hire Wade Phillips, Bob McNair did. Smith had nothing to do with Wade. Wade's hiring all started when McNair invited Bum to a practice 3-4 weeks before the season ended. Rick Smith did his part in contributing to the poor defenses, Smith's first draft pick was Amobe Okoye passing on Patrick Willis. Again, contrary to popular belief it is not so much as Rick Smith making the draft picks as some believe. Kubiak allows his coaches most of the leeway in the decision making process on selecting draft picks starting with,

It was Alex Gibbs who picked Duane Brown
It was Frank Bush who picked Brian Cushing...and
It was Wade Phillips who picked JJ Watt and Whitney Mercilus

(FYI - Bob McNair gave Wade the 2011 & 2012 1st Rd draft picks as part of the deal to become DC)

I do believe Smith does get credit for Kareem Jackson.

Rick Smith is not a GM in the sense that Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Jerry Reese, Thomas Dimitroff, Rick Spielman and Trent Balke are GMs. No siree.

Y'all can say that this is conjecture and opinion but that's way it was and is.
Old 09-03-2013   #253
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Kubiak has final say on the 53 man roster whether you choose to believe it or not. In the 2010 year end press conference, John McClain specifically asked Kubiak if he would give up complete control in order to keep his job. Kubiak responded saying he would NOT that it was in his contract and would not agree to any such changes.

Contrary to popular belief, Rick Smith did NOT hire Wade Phillips, Bob McNair did. Smith had nothing to do with Wade. Wade's hiring all started when McNair invited Bum to a practice 3-4 weeks before the season ended. Rick Smith did his part in contributing to the poor defenses, Smith's first draft pick was Amobe Okoye passing on Patrick Willis. Again, contrary to popular belief it is not so much as Rick Smith making the draft picks as some believe. Kubiak allows his coaches most of the leeway in the decision making process on selecting draft picks starting with,

(FYI - Bob McNair gave Wade the 2011 & 2012 1st Rd draft picks as part of the deal to become DC)

Rick Smith is not a GM in the sense that Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Jerry Reese, Thomas Dimitroff, Rick Spielman and Trent Balke are GMs. No siree.

If you think any pick exists in a vacuum, you've got another think coming.
Old 09-03-2013   #254
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I stopped reading your response right there.

When Okoye was drafted and when we "passed on Willis", Houston already had the defensive rookie of the year maning the middle of their defense.
Old 09-03-2013   #255
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
If we have a big enough lead that we won't be passing much (you know, like 3 points, LOL), then I think Wood should get what would be considered a lot of carries for a 3rd stringer. I mean as long as he's not going to get our QB(s) killed, you know.
IIRC, neither Foster or Tate were known for their blocking skills when they were added to roster or any other non full back for that matter.
Old 09-03-2013   #256
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I stopped reading your response right there. SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

When Okoye was drafted and when we "passed on Willis", Houston already had the defensive rookie of the year maning the middle of their defense.
Now imagine if they had moved Demeco back to OLB the same position he played for 4 years at Alabama and put Willis at ILB.
Old 09-03-2013   #257
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Now imagine if they had moved Demeco back to OLB the same position he played for 4 years at Alabama and put Willis at ILB.
Why would they do that? DeMeco was one of the best MLBers in the entire league that season, hell he might've been the best... why would you move him?

Houston was NEVER going to draft a LBer in the first round in 2007. There was plenty of holes to fill, LBer was not one of them.
Old 09-03-2013   #258
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Regardless who is responsible for identifying the guy, or picking the guy, Rick Smith gets the credit.

& like the title of this thread says, "Rick Smith looks smarter every day."
Old 09-03-2013   #259
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Regardless who is responsible for identifying the guy, or picking the guy, Rick Smith gets the credit.

& like the title of this thread says, "Rick Smith looks smarter every day."
Just like when Andre was having problems getting his contract redone and was sitting in Miami and they moved Rick Smith to the sidelines to get the deal done. Aamzing how this story skips the koolaid drinkers mind. Hip hip hooray for Rick Smith, for he's a jolly good fellow....
Old 09-03-2013   #260
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Just like when Andre was having problems getting his contract redone and was sitting in Miami and they moved Rick Smith to the sidelines to get the deal done. Aamzing how this story skips the koolaid drinkers mind. Hip hip hooray for Rick Smith, for he's a jolly good fellow....
I have a hard time remembering things like that, but didn't Andre end his "hold out" before getting another contract?

& the pushing Smith to the side thing... you must be privy to some inside info because I never heard/saw anything to suggest as much.

Why would McNair keep paying this guy?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read