Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013   #541
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98826 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

God, some people are getting so worked up about Manziel. Just watch games and if you really can't stand JM, just don't watch A&M games.

How much does he affect your life that you really need to come onto the internet and berate him? Yeesh.

The only reason I post here is because it's my college and my football team. I'm territorial, and I'll defend them even if I don't really like Manziel myself.
Old 09-03-2013   #542
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

How is manziel different from any other person that has been discussed here over the years?

Can no one think any action of his is negative without being a hater, ditto head, or overly consumed?
Old 09-03-2013   #543
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98826 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
How is manziel different from any other person that has been discussed here over the years?

Can no one think any action of his is negative without being a hater, ditto head, or overly consumed?
I think plenty of his actions are idiotic, but that doesn't make me come onto the board and call him a classless POS, the worst thing to happen to college football, the Antichrist, etc. etc.

(that last one was a joke)

I'm just saying the reaction has been more vitriolic than his actions deserve.
Old 09-03-2013   #544
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Says the U of H fan....What have they EVER won in football?

and it's clear you sat on the bench. No football player with any kind of passion allows ANYBODY to talk smack to them, period. If you're man enough to deal it, better be man enough to take it.

Weak mined, seriously? Immature, sure but weak minded is a stretch. I saw Alabama players last year whoop up on folks, STILL talking smack. Guess they're weak minded as well?

Rice should have came in, taking their ass whoopin and left town and not said a damn thing....
Lol, what the hell has A&M ever won? You're talking like A&M has been a powerhouse the last 20 years.

Lol yeah i sat on the bench b/c i realized a long time ago that all my haters aren't on equal footing & some don't even deserve my attention..... yeah ok. Clear to see you've never won at anything consistently.

A Rice player talking smack to me after i threw 3 TD in less than a qtr of play deserves no response from me. Scoreboard & keep it moving.

An Alabama player whose team is the only thing really standing in my way between a BCS title with guys equally as nice at their position as i am at mine is an entirely different animal & might warrant a little
smack talk back.

So yeah, its immature......and weak-minded. Weak ass hell b/c it shows that he's got an incessant need to respond to players' smack that are clearly not of the same caliber as him. It also lets other players & coaches know they can get in his head....easily.

Apart from all this you guys seem to be missing the point...at least my point. I'm looking at this from Sumlin's POV. You see It's not just this 1 incident that he's had to deal with in handling this guy...Its the collective that once again ESPN ain't making up. & If for no other reason than to make his coaches job easier, the jackass should just STFU, put his head down and play ball. Again at least TRY to show some maturity & concern for someone other than Johnny...& of course he's not doing it.

That disregard he's showing puts Sumlin in between a rock & a hard place. He doesn't have the security to just discipline him like he probably would any other player; The fans or the administration would fire him or get him fired.

Sumlin's actions and words last Saturday should speak a ton about what he thinks of Manziel's actions collectively & to date...His words and actions should hold more weight than anything Mark May, Jesse Palmer or any other outsider from ESPN or fan messageboard has to say.

I mean it's right there in front of you guys' face & you don't want to see it b/c y'all have somehow got it in your heads that ESPN has it out for the guy..... as if he's somehow different than previous other stars in the last 10-20 years. RG3 won the Heisman in 2011, he didn't have nearly the polarizing effect that this jackass is having.....b/c he kept it classy.

The funny thing is, when this was going on down the road in Austin with a certain other Qb, you guys were going on & on about how classless & stupid he is/was. Now that the spotlight has shifted "it's all good........that''s just who johnny football is!!!"

Last edited by Mr teX; 09-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2013   #545
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I think plenty of his actions are idiotic, but that doesn't make me come onto the board and call him a classless POS, the worst thing to happen to college football, the Antichrist, etc. etc.

(that last one was a joke)

I'm just saying the reaction has been more vitriolic than his actions deserve.
I honestly haven't gotten that vibe, but I'm just asking...how is he different from any other person that's discussed here? Strong white/black (vs. shades of gray) opinions tend to be common place on message boards. I wouldn't get too worked up about people (not calling anyone out because I haven't seen it) that completely hate JM.
Old 09-03-2013   #546
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqert View Post
wait.. we cant criticize manziel? is he obama now?
and what issues do you think people have when they get their pantys in a bunch when the media criticizes their idol?

were you the "leave britney alone" dude a few years ago?
Sure criticize him, if you feel the need to criticize a kid who is closer to 19 than 21, because he is not "a man" then by all means. I just find it hilarious that the same people that criticize Manziel, that say he is a detriment to the team, that he should be benched, blah blah blah, are the same ones who praised him for his rebel, shoot from the hip, swagger he showed last fall when he was a nobody...

Hipocracy knows no bounds I guess...

The fact that Manziel is anybodies idol says so much about that individual. If anybody is getting their panties in a wad over what this kid is doing, they need help, plain and simple.

Is he immature, his actions would say so but I wouldn't expect anything less from a post-teenager. Is he a punk, douche, tool, etc. Don't know, A: never met the kid B: He never talks to the media. When he did talk, he seemed respectful.

Again, if you are letting the antics of a kid get to you, seek help immediately...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
Old 09-03-2013   #547
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Apparently we are all brainwashed by evil sports media.
Old 09-03-2013   #548
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 103457 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have anything to add besides this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 09-03-2013   #549
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 82184 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Lemme get this straight...
The starting QB of a major college football program is suspended for the first half of the season opener, and later in that same game benched by his own coach... and anyone who makes a negative comment about it is a hater and brainwashed by ESPN?
Old 09-03-2013   #550
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Lemme get this straight...
The starting QB of a major college football program is suspended for the first half of the season opener, and later in that same game benched by his own coach... and anyone who makes a negative comment about it is a hater and brainwashed by ESPN?
No. The haters are the ones who see something on tv or hear someone on espn bloviate and think they know what sumlin or manziel are thinking or doing.
From today's press conference:
The "money" sign was done last year and this year by many in the team and has no real meaning per the players at the presser
Sumlin said that he made two comments to manziel when he got the penalty didn't ask a question nor should manziel have responded to him if he was smart. Sumlin said he couldn't repeat what he said in public.
What people, including ESPN and others in the media think they know from the tv or behind a desk in a studio is often totally different than the reality.

Last edited by Stemp; 09-03-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2013   #551
michaelm
vox nihili

Rep Power: 82184 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
No. The haters are the ones who see something on tv or hear someone on espn bloviate and think they know what sumlin or manziel are thinking or doing.
From today's press conference:
The "money" sign was done last year and this year by many in the team and has no real meaning per the players at the presser
Sumlin said that he made two comments to manziel when he got the penalty didn't ask a question nor should manziel have responded to him if he was smart. Sumlin said he couldn't repeat what he said in public.
What people, including ESPN and others in the media think they know from the tv or behind a desk in a studio is often totally different than the reality.
I don't know what Manziel said, nor do I particularly care. He's the starting QB, and he got himself benched during a football game for something other than performance. I think that speaks for itself and apparently one of the two people who know what was said (Sumlin) thinks it speaks for itself as well. No speculation required.
Old 09-03-2013   #552
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 100796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know what Manziel said, nor do I particularly care. He's the starting QB, and he got himself benched during a football game for something other than performance. I think that speaks for itself and apparently one of the two people who know what was said (Sumlin) thinks it speaks for itself as well. No speculation required.
Sumlin also said it wasn't a big deal and couldn't believe the reporters were wasting time talking about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-03-2013   #553
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard a rumor that Johnny Manziel punches babies and purposely leaves the toilet seat up so his GF gets her butt wet all the time.
Old 09-03-2013   #554
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Sumlin also said it wasn't a big deal and couldn't believe the reporters were wasting time talking about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Well, maybe Sumlin is in damage control, or has some other motive for downplaying it now (boosters anyone?).
It's not debated that Manziel was benched for the exchange with Sumlin is it? You don't bench your starting QB during a game for "no big deal"...
Old 09-03-2013   #555
michaelm
vox nihili

I'd like to point out that I'm not criticizing Manziel for any of the off-season stuff, or the perceived taunting and resulting penalty.
I'm just saying he got himself benched, and that is a problem. No arguing that point in my mind.
Old 09-04-2013   #556
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd like to point out that I'm not criticizing Manziel for any of the off-season stuff, or the perceived taunting and resulting penalty.
I'm just saying he got himself benched, and that is a problem. No arguing that point in my mind.
I think that's fair. I'm sure its a good teaching lesson for Sumlin and Johnny though. I think he's accepting the role of being hated right now and wanted to take that to the field. I personally love everything he did Saturday with the exception of drawing the penalty. Like Sumlin said today he needs to bottle up all that energy up and re-direct it. I don't even mind the trash talking, but just make sure its not anything out of line so it draws a penalty. Brady has been known to do a little talking on the field too, but he's just a little slicker about how he does it. Better he learn his lesson against Rice than Bama.
Old 09-04-2013   #557
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, maybe Sumlin is in damage control, or has some other motive for downplaying it now (boosters anyone?).
It's not debated that Manziel was benched for the exchange with Sumlin is it? You don't bench your starting QB during a game for "no big deal"...
He was benched for getting the penalty called not for saying something to sumlin. More than likely he was warned not to retaliate or say or do anything to draw a penalty but it still happened.
Old 09-04-2013   #558
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 100796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or maybe he thinks that it's all overblown?

Quote:
Sumlin attempted to clear up a misconception that Manziel "ignored" the head coach after Sumlin yelled at him following the 15-yard personal foul penalty, which was assessed after he threw a touchdown pass to Mike Evans, exchanged words with a Rice defensive player and pointed at the scoreboard.

"When he came off the field, basically I made two statements to him, neither one of which should he have responded to," Sumlin said. "They weren't questions. They were direct statements that I can't repeat right now. So what's amazing to me is the perception that he ignored me. The worst thing that could have happened was for him to reply, based on what I told him."
Quote:
"For people to say 'You know what, he's not listening to his coach and there's no discipline on this team,' they're not around this football team," Sumlin said. "They're not around this program. A lot of people who have made statements about that weren't anywhere near the sideline. I haven't heard one guy or any person who was near that sideline, who heard (what) was said, speak up about what happened. So, you can get different perspectives sitting in a studio or behind a television than you would have gotten live. That's where we are with that. "
Link
Old 09-04-2013   #559
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44115 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say about Manziel right now is look out- Derek Carr is leading the nation in total offense 497 yards per game. lol

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-04-2013   #560
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
He was benched for getting the penalty called not for saying something to sumlin. More than likely he was warned not to retaliate or say or do anything to draw a penalty but it still happened.
Exactly. Sumlin's comments on the field right after the incident illustrate his growing frustration with this kid more than anything....

"That wasn't very smart. That's why he didn't go back in the game either. You would hope at this point, you'd learn something from that. We're still working on that. He wasn't going back in the game no matter what was happening."

The bolded is the phrase that sums it up.....

Yesterday's comments were more of him trying to protect Manziel from any more criticism and to show everyone that he as the coach still has control of the team.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read