Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2013   #121
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122435 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The OLBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Outside linebackers are Brooks Reed, Whitney Mercilus, Brian Braman, Sam Montgomery, Willie Jefferson with Justin Tuggle kind of a "swing" ILB/OLB.
Still don't feel too hot about this corp.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #122
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tuggle is also a rookie. So on this side we have 3 rookies, a second year player with limited experience and Braman with two years limited experience.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #123
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Still don't feel too hot about this corp.
Yeah, but I like them better than this group: Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, Bryan Braman, Jesse Nading, Whitney Mercilus
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #124
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but I like them better than this group: Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, Bryan Braman, Jesse Nading, Whitney Mercilus
Im not so sure about that... I liked them at the beginning of last year a lot better than I do this years corps. We need to be hoping that several of these guys take the next step...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #125
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully he plays like Whitney Mercilus and not Whitney Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #126
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Word from Seahwk fans was that Curry was not smart enough to grasp whatever defense they were running.

I'm eh about out OLB's. Mercilus was decent in his limited role (but I'm apparently one of the few who think this) and if he takes a big step then this becomes a much better situation, obviously.
Old 09-01-2013   #127
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Word from Seahwk fans was that Curry was not smart enough to grasp whatever defense they were running.

I'm eh about out OLB's. Mercilus was decent in his limited role (but I'm apparently one of the few who think this) and if he takes a big step then this becomes a much better situation, obviously.
Far from it.

Most realize Mercilus put up "good numbers" in a limited role last season.

He wasn't near as good as Barwin in setting the edge Vs the run nor when asked to drop into coverage , which happened quite a bit towards the end of the season.

Reed has been solid if unspectacular on the other side , If any one of the OLB's opposite him can take "that big step" .... yeah , it does become a much better situation. Mercilus gets the first shot at proving he's that guy.

Being his second year in the system , its not unrealistic to expect Mercilus to make a big improvement.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #128
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I do think we are a little thin at OLB. Mercilus needs to make a big step this season in run defense. I think most of his snaps last year came in passing downs. Reed is not a player that any team is going to gameplan against, but he'll be a good player.

I'm hoping I am wrong, but our defense worries me this season. Down the stretch we were giving up far too many points on defense for us to go deep in the playoffs.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #129
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been concerned about the LBer corp for awhile now. If Cush goes down again this season the Texans are in for another year of an early exit from the playoffs, if they make it at all. It's too bad this was such a weak draft crop of LBers (both ILB and OLB) this year, and to pick 2 in the mid rounds that may end up being busts or mediocre at best, well, that's the kind of bad drafting that will kill a team in the long run. I just hope finding Jefferson and Tuggle as UDFA's make up for it!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #130
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Im not so sure about that... I liked them at the beginning of last year a lot better than I do this years corps. We need to be hoping that several of these guys take the next step...
But at the end of last year, Barwin was the 4th worst 3-4 OLB in the league. Getting to 'average' as a group will be an improvement.
Old 09-01-2013   #131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
But at the end of last year, Barwin was the 4th worst 3-4 OLB in the league.
I understand that & I was no fan of Connor Barwin once we switched to the 3-4. But there must have been some reason Wade kept throwing him out there. I don't believe this "scheme" thing '76 kept throwing out there, but there's a reason he kept sending Barwin out & not Mercilus when we were bleeding points & yards.
Old 09-01-2013   #132
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

delete
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #133
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But at the end of last year, Barwin was the 4th worst 3-4 OLB in the league. Getting to 'average' as a group will be an improvement.
I don't know how this is determined, but a quick analysis of the stats shows he was, slightly, our best OLB. So what does this say for Brooks Reed going into this season?

Barwin started all 16 games and Reed started 12. Barwin averaged 2.2 solo tackles per game and Reed, 1.6. Barwin averaged .6 assisted tackles per game vs Reed's, .7 per game. Barwin had 3 sacks and Reed had 2.5 sacks in four fewer games. Of course stats don't tell the full tale, but Reed's stats weren't good.

As for Mercilus, he missed most of training camp and all of the preseason games, out since July 30th. Does he start the first game with only one week of practice? The general rule says no, you start one of the backers who participated in the full off season and work Mercilus in slowly with maybe 20 - 25 snaps his first time out.

As negative as everyone is on Braman and taking into account the caliber of player he went up against, still this preseason he averaged 2 tackles per game, .7 assisted tackles per game and had 3 sacks.

Perhaps this only indicates how poorly situated we are at this position, but he had the best camp of all the OLB's who made the team. Does he start the first game opposite Reed?
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #134
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Few will remember, but back in early September of last year, Brooks Reed in practice sustained what the Texans reported as a "hip" injury. They have reported previous adductor strains as "hip" injuries, as the adductor is one of the muscles that move the hip. Later in the season, he sustained a definitive rupture of the adductor that took him out of almost all of the rest of the season. This injury was reported a "groin," as the adductor is part of the groin anatomy. In Jan 2013, he underwent "sports hernia surgery," an adductor tear being part of the "sports hernia" complex. I have no doubt that from Sept 2012 until he sustained the definitive rupture, he was dogged by his adductor.....an injury that compromised his performance throughout the 2012 season. I see optimism in Reed returning this season a rejuvenated and much improved player.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #135
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Few will remember, but back in early September of last year, Brooks Reed in practice sustained what the Texans reported as a "hip" injury. They have reported previous adductor strains as "hip" injuries, as the adductor is one of the muscles that move the hip. Later in the season, he sustained a definitive rupture of the adductor that took him out of almost all of the rest of the season. This injury was reported a "groin," as the adductor is part of the groin anatomy. In Jan 2013, he underwent "sports hernia surgery," an adductor tear being part of the "sports hernia" complex. I have no doubt that from Sept 2012 until he sustained the definitive rupture, he was dogged by his adductor.....an injury that compromised his performance throughout the 2012 season. I see optimism in Reed returning this season a rejuvenated and much improved player.
OK, a burst of sunshine from Doc for once. I like it!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #136
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Glad to know that you are optimistic.

See y'all that Debbie Downer monikier doesn't always fit. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #137
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The exception that proves the rule...

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #138
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling Tuggle might be starting next to Cushing inside near the end of the season ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #139
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I have a feeling Tuggle might be starting next to Cushing inside near the end of the season ....
I have the same feeling at least getting into ILB rotation. I can hear the theme from movie "Flash Dance" in my head. Whatta feeling~
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013   #140
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I don't know how this is determined, but a quick analysis of the stats shows he was, slightly, our best OLB...
Actually on a per snap basis Barwin was our worst OLB. He had twice as many snaps as Mercilus and Reed but only had 4 sacks to Reed 3/Mercilus 6, 24 QB hurries to Reed 18/Mercilus 14, and 24 stops to Reed 15/Mercilus 13. On tackles, it was a push after you equalized it.

So out of the three I choose Reed & Mercilus, as Barwin's notoriety was due more to his quirky personality & letterman's jacket than his play. ( He did have that 4 sack game against his whipping boy J-ville in 2011.)

Our OLBs were below average in 2012. We have a chance to move up to average with this group if health holds and we find the right rotation. Mercilus missing preseason did not help the cause. But Reed had a few "almost" plays this preseason, so perhaps a few of those will be converted with our starters in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read