Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 08-23-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy's 2014 mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I am a big, big fan of McCarron. If he is there when we pick, it would be foolish not to take him. Great size, good mobility, great composure, accuracy, and NFL caliber arm-strength (though it won't set the league on fire). Let him sit for a year to learn the playbook/system, then sit back and enjoy the 2015/16 season.
I like McCarron, but it can't be said that he has an NFL caliber arm-strength.
I had gone over all of his deep passes, and I have to say that it's lacking.

We'll have to see how much he improves in that department this upcoming year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #22
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Hopefully that improvement won't show in College Station this year
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I don't know about that he reminds me a lot of Tom Brady when he played @ Michigan. Of course Brady slipped to a late rd. draft pick because he lacked arm & core body strength but as they say rest is history. Not saying he will be Brady or fall to the 5th rd. whatever but his mechanics are sound with off the chart leadership skills.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Hopefully that improvement won't show in College Station this year
Bad news for you; I brought up the tape of the Tide's spring game (which I have had for a while but never got a chance to watch), and it looks like he has improved some.
Threw a ball 45 yards straight downfield for a TD (about 50 yards on the air) without really stepping into it.
That's at least good enough to play in the NFL, I would think.
Maybe just an average arm for now, but he can only get stronger.
Old 08-23-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I don't know about that he reminds me a lot of Tom Brady when he played @ Michigan. Of course Brady slipped to a late rd. draft pick because he lacked arm & core body strength but as they say rest is history. Not saying he will be Brady or fall to the 5th rd. whatever but his mechanics are sound with off the chart leadership skills.
If McCarron didn't have the things you listed, I would have no reason to like him, right?
Old 08-23-2013   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have an opinion on a lot of these players yet...But thanks for the mock..gives me an idea about guys to watch...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=beerlover;2196869]I don't know about that he reminds me a lot of Tom Brady when he played @ Michigan. Of course Brady slipped to a late rd. draft pick because he lacked arm & core body strength but as they say rest is history. Not saying he will be Brady or fall to the 5th rd. whatever but his mechanics are sound with off the chart leadership skills.[/QUOTE]

Exactly and first qualities I look for in a QB. In Texans system, he or Fales would be even better than MS in my opinion. Not implying more yards but highly accurate passes and a complete field general.
Old 08-23-2013   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

On another not, I think it would be cool if we all kept a list of good under the radar guys that we spot during the season...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't have an opinion on a lot of these players yet...But thanks for the mock..gives me an idea about guys to watch...
Please add your evals to the mix as season progresses. The more eyes on we have the more info is shared.
Old 09-01-2013   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

[quote=badboy;2196924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I don't know about that he reminds me a lot of Tom Brady when he played @ Michigan. Of course Brady slipped to a late rd. draft pick because he lacked arm & core body strength but as they say rest is history. Not saying he will be Brady or fall to the 5th rd. whatever but his mechanics are sound with off the chart leadership skills.[/QUOTE]

Exactly and first qualities I look for in a QB. In Texans system, he or Fales would be even better than MS in my opinion. Not implying more yards but highly accurate passes and a complete field general.
Well both QBs through for 50% first game which isn't what I want to see from "accurate passers" in blow out games.
Old 09-01-2013   #31
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=badboy;2201346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Well both QBs through for 50% first game which isn't what I want to see from "accurate passers" in blow out games.
I would not worry about it... his body of work shows that this game was an aberration. Now, if this happens a couple more times, then I would worry. But one game... not that big of a deal IMO.

That said, I did notice that McCarron was throwing off of his back foot way too much. I did not notice that last year, but it is worrisome. Something to watch for sure.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

[quote=rmartin65;2201349]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

I would not worry about it... his body of work shows that this game was an aberration. Now, if this happens a couple more times, then I would worry. But one game... not that big of a deal IMO.

That said, I did notice that McCarron was throwing off of his back foot way too much. I did not notice that last year, but it is worrisome. Something to watch for sure.
Agreed especially on back foot. I wasn't too satisfied with LT for Alabama Kouandijo who was reason Barrett Jones was moved to center his last season costing him big bucks imo. Did you notice his brother played LG next to him?
Old 09-02-2013   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Yup, he's got us taking Bryn Renner in the 2nd. How do you feel about another Tar Heel QB on our team? Have you looked at any film of him? I can't say I have, so I don't have a personal opinion of him, but I've read that he's a pocket passer, good game-manager, etc. etc. Sounds like Schaub the Second to me.
Somehow overlooked your post, sorry. I am not as high on Renner as some but will watch him this season. I am pretty locked into McCarron (who might not be there) and Fales. Renner and AJ are close in stats but I have watched more of AJ. Fales or Renner could be better on Alabama so I take that into consideration. FYI, Renner really changed his TD to INT ratio from '11 to 2012. As a RS senior he could really makes some money for himself this season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read